AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-01-26, 01:24   Link #41
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Shin Kidou Senki Gundam Wing G-Unit--> Gundam The Last Outpost. (Great now people pick it up and are shocked to find out that it takes place in the After Colony Timeline.)

UC Timeline in Gundam L'Ecole Du Ciel suddenly morphing into Cosmic Era in one source page at the back of the volume.

Honestly though I don't own that much manga with changes except for the awful Tokyo Pop stuff. That's all I can come up with really at the moment. I'm sure whatever is odd has already been mentioned. I was going to say Karin---> Chibi Vampire as I couldn't stop laughing when I saw that one and my friend almost killed me for it because I couldn't stop mentioning it.

Funimation does it with pretty much every title though so just look at their catalogue for it. Then they send out cease and decist letters to everyone under the sun and wonder why people still have there stuff.

Funimation: You have received a C&D notice to stop distribution of our properties Kodocha, Rumbling Hearts, Case Closed, Burst Angel (Alright is a literal translation but really), Hare+Guu, and Aquarion please comply with our request or we will be forced to take legal action.

Random Subber: Well we have something called Kodomo No Omocha, but I honestly have no idea what this Kodocha is. We also did Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Detective Conan, Bakeretsu Tenshi, Jungle Wa Hare Itsumo Nochi Guu and Sosei No Aquarion. Please explain this letter as we have not infringed on any of your trademarks.

With time I will do some names that make little sense and you can't really trace where they came from.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-01-26 at 01:39.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 02:36   Link #42
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Funimation does it with pretty much every title though so just look at their catalogue for it. Then they send out cease and decist letters to everyone under the sun and wonder why people still have there stuff.

Funimation: You have received a C&D notice to stop distribution of our properties Kodocha, Rumbling Hearts, Case Closed, Burst Angel (Alright is a literal translation but really), Hare+Guu, and Aquarion please comply with our request or we will be forced to take legal action.

Random Subber: Well we have something called Kodomo No Omocha, but I honestly have no idea what this Kodocha is. We also did Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Detective Conan, Bakeretsu Tenshi, Jungle Wa Hare Itsumo Nochi Guu and Sosei No Aquarion. Please explain this letter as we have not infringed on any of your trademarks.
Sigh... Firstly, Funimation does not send out C&Ds frequently. (Also, nobody is as stupid as your random subber and C&Ds aren't for trademarks.)
Secondly:
1) We already went over Kodocha, Rumbling, Case closed earlier in this thread. Ignoring these for your failure to read the thread.
2) Hare+Guu is done by ANE and is the official title in Japan now. They renamed the manga after it was started. When ANE went to pick up the rights was just about the time it was renamed. They were therefore obligated to use the new name. Therefore, this again, is not a rename that is for the US release.
I'm not even going to bother touching Burst Angel or Aquarion as those are just being anal-rententive.

And Thirdly, Funimation does not "rename" everything. Trinity Blood, Desert Punk, Solty Rei, Moonphase, Full Metal Panic:TSR, etc etc all are not renamed. Infact, you named almost 3/4rs of their "renames".
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 05:49   Link #43
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Sigh... Firstly, Funimation does not send out C&Ds frequently. (Also, nobody is as stupid as your random subber and C&Ds aren't for trademarks.)
Secondly:
1) We already went over Kodocha, Rumbling, Case closed earlier in this thread. Ignoring these for your failure to read the thread.
2) Hare+Guu is done by ANE and is the official title in Japan now. They renamed the manga after it was started. When ANE went to pick up the rights was just about the time it was renamed. They were therefore obligated to use the new name. Therefore, this again, is not a rename that is for the US release.
I'm not even going to bother touching Burst Angel or Aquarion as those are just being anal-rententive.

And Thirdly, Funimation does not "rename" everything. Trinity Blood, Desert Punk, Solty Rei, Moonphase, Full Metal Panic:TSR, etc etc all are not renamed. Infact, you named almost 3/4rs of their "renames".
I'm going to wait for somebody else to dispute that. Funimation has a pretty vicious and proactive legal counsel. Also, please watch your politness and manners even though there is anonymity on the internet. I don't take kindly to personal attacks. This thread is meant to be harmless critiquing of silly renaming, not a forum for personal attacks. Please do not spin things as well, that drives me insane. I specified "Pretty much" every title not "Every title". This is meant to be a hypothetical C&D and response, a joke if you will. I thought all Funimaton licenses were fair play for the joke, but I am wrong. I also mentioned that I was going overboard a tad with Burst Angel. "alright (it) is (sic on myself) a literal translation but really". Do not try to spin my comments to fit your critique, for the love of god please. It is called the strawman's fallacy and I'll catch it every time.

I still intend to come back with some names tomorrow if bayaob promises to hold the venom unless there's reason to fairly argue a point I make without resorting to a strawman argument.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-01-26 at 06:02.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 10:57   Link #44
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm going to wait for somebody else to dispute that. Funimation has a pretty vicious and proactive legal counsel. This is meant to be a hypothetical C&D and response, a joke if you will.
I have only ever heard of 3 "sets" of C&Ds from Funimation ("sets" defined as within the same week) and if they are really C&D'ing more over their licensed properties, I applaud them. I did make a unclear statement in "don't C&D over trademarks" since they C&D over distribution but you can C&D over trademarks.

Quote:
Also, please watch your politness and manners even though there is anonymity on the internet. I don't take kindly to personal attacks. This thread is meant to be harmless critiquing of silly renaming, not a forum for personal attacks.
There only thing that could come off as a "direct" attack was about the anal-rentetiveness and that was meant to be a general statement, see later.

Quote:
Please do not spin things as well, that drives me insane. I specified "Pretty much" every title not "Every title".
"Pretty much every" implies there are only a few exceptions. The point still holds that they are the minority. (I would have had a better list but the Funimation site seems to be determined to crash my browser. Repeatedly. )

Quote:
I thought all Funimaton licenses were fair play for the joke, but I am wrong. I also mentioned that I was going overboard a tad with Burst Angel. "alright (it) is (sic on myself) a literal translation but really".
While I know it was mentioned, I've seen people do this in full seriousness and was mentioning the general anal-rententiveness of people are who do the "OMG You not-exactly-literally translated the name of my series. You bastards!" Especially with Sunabozu<->Desert Punk . (And Keeping the post semi on topic, this is a loose translation, but still accurate. Therefore, not a rename.)

Quote:
Do not try to spin my comments to fit your critique, for the love of god please. It is called the strawman's fallacy and I'll catch it every time.
Remember, there is more than one way to read a post. Not all people will catch humor or references, especially at 4am. (I missed how the tone was meant to change.)

The problem with posts on topics like this, is people believe them whether they are true or not. A good percent the fandom still believes <insert series X> by Funimation is hacked and slashed in production from work that they did 10 years ago. There are various other myths about renames that you can see in this thread. "Oh hey look, the company renamed it completely" and leaving out the part about what actually happened. (An example earlier in the thread is Zatch Bell where Viz has used the same "excuse" over and over.)

There are people in the fandom who would read your post as fully serious and nod in agreement. And actually, I misspoke at 4am, I have met subbers as stupid as the one in your hypothetical C&D. Yes, them.

Also, for other incredibly stupid renames (that fortunately did not make it to the US market), see the Enoki site for "Ursala's Kiss" (aka Utena) and "Tales of North Hills High" (aka Karekano). Fortunately the companies had the piece of mind to fix these titles.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 16:15   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
I have only ever heard of 3 "sets" of C&Ds from Funimation ("sets" defined as within the same week) and if they are really C&D'ing more over their licensed properties, I applaud them. I did make a unclear statement in "don't C&D over trademarks" since they C&D over distribution but you can C&D over trademarks.

There only thing that could come off as a "direct" attack was about the anal-rentetiveness and that was meant to be a general statement, see later.

"Pretty much every" implies there are only a few exceptions. The point still holds that they are the minority. (I would have had a better list but the Funimation site seems to be determined to crash my browser. Repeatedly. )

While I know it was mentioned, I've seen people do this in full seriousness and was mentioning the general anal-rententiveness of people are who do the "OMG You not-exactly-literally translated the name of my series. You bastards!" Especially with Sunabozu<->Desert Punk . (And Keeping the post semi on topic, this is a loose translation, but still accurate. Therefore, not a rename.)


Remember, there is more than one way to read a post. Not all people will catch humor or references, especially at 4am. (I missed how the tone was meant to change.)

The problem with posts on topics like this, is people believe them whether they are true or not. A good percent the fandom still believes <insert series X> by Funimation is hacked and slashed in production from work that they did 10 years ago. There are various other myths about renames that you can see in this thread. "Oh hey look, the company renamed it completely" and leaving out the part about what actually happened. (An example earlier in the thread is Zatch Bell where Viz has used the same "excuse" over and over.)

There are people in the fandom who would read your post as fully serious and nod in agreement. And actually, I misspoke at 4am, I have met subbers as stupid as the one in your hypothetical C&D. Yes, them.

Also, for other incredibly stupid renames (that fortunately did not make it to the US market), see the Enoki site for "Ursala's Kiss" (aka Utena) and "Tales of North Hills High" (aka Karekano). Fortunately the companies had the piece of mind to fix these titles.
Ok, Thank you for the reconciliation. I know Funimation is a serious company now that is at the top of the market in fan relations as we speak. All the stuff 10 years ago happened at a time when Anime was classified by the FCC and CRTC as Children's Programming thus the edits were necessary.

Back on topic I have a couple of odd renames and a even more good ones. Looking at Sailor Moon Classic you had some renames that did make sense when you thought about them. Usagi--> Serena seems to be a reference to Selene a goddess of the moon if I'm not mistaken that has more grounding in western culture than the rabbit on the moon pounding mochi. Kunzite----> Malachite which is still a mineral and thus fits in with the rest of the group. Ami---> Amy is obvious, Jadeite----> Jedite is stylistic. Chibi-Usa---> Take Serena cut of the first two letter and you get Rena or Reni, same naming game. Minako was shortened to Mina, Rei became Raye also a female name believe it or not.

Now for some awkard ones you can look at the rest of the characters from the Dark Kingdom such as Nephrite----> Neflyte. The odd part is you know that DIC noticed the mineral reference so either they had two different teams of writers or they just plum stopped caring. Naru---> Molly a name that was popular in the 1800's. Umino----> Melvin possibly to evoke the term Melvin or nerd, which is kind of nasty. Endymion the shepherd fell in love with Selene the moon goddess---> Darien losing the reference entirely that the could have had between him and Se(l)rena(e).

So you know DIC knows its mythology and tried some of the time, but other times they just didn't care and lost the link to the name puns even though many were converted to English expertly and it could have worked.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 19:12   Link #46
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
From Utawarerumono to Shadow Warriors. which is nowhere close to the translation

Granted they changed their minds and it was released in the U.S under the original name but the idea of it was enough to get someone stabbed
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-27, 14:37   Link #47
shaolinx
Kani Fascination
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
ufo princess valkyrie => ultra maiden...

wtf? not even close...
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-27, 17:24   Link #48
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
ufo princess valkyrie => ultra maiden...

wtf? not even close...
This was intentional so that retailers would actually put it in stores. The retailers had said "I see *princess* isn't selling".
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-27, 21:13   Link #49
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
This was intentional so that retailers would actually put it in stores. The retailers had said "I see *princess* isn't selling".
Actually I thought the kanji translated to "ultra" and "maiden"...

Quote:
From Utawarerumono to Shadow Warriors. which is nowhere close to the translation
Aye, I was pleasently surprised to access my Anime On Demand list and find it still "Utawarerumono" Dub ain't too bad btw. Greg Ayres is in eet and Erururu does this cute little squeak when her tail gets pulled. I dunno if that's in the sub but it's adorable either way...
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 22:22   Link #50
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
Solty Rei ---> Origin

Why do they rename or literally translate do they doubt the veiwers intelligence to say a few japanese words or they doubt our intelligence in genral ?

its understandable if the show is named something like Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto , which is hard to remember or say . But why bother otherwise they may have the liscence to make money of it but whoever gave them the liscene to creatively kill it ?. Also studies have shown kids have higher linguistic skills than adults so why bother with super lame names and literal translations .
__________________

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2007-01-30 at 23:10.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 22:45   Link #51
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
I don't really understand, Solty Rei is sold as Solty Rei in the US also. Are you perhaps referring to the title of volume one? If you are, it still says Solty Rei (which is still the title of the series) in the largest font on the spine and cover (as a matter of fact, I'm having to ask if that's the title of volume one because I've never actually seen the title of volume one and it is impossible to see it on the cover).
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 22:56   Link #52
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
Have to edit my post its Origins NOT Origins of Past . It was in conjuction with this article in wiki

Solty Rei

Quote:
On 2006-04-02 FUNimation Entertainment confirmed at Anime Expo that it had the rights to distribute Solty Rei[1]. Prior to this a fansubbing group had reported receiving a cease and desist letter from FUNimation Entertainment with the English name of the anime given as Origin, although the name seems to have been confused with Origin: Spirits of the Past..
If its been changed again I have no idea simply for the reson I watched it back in early 06
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 23:18   Link #53
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
I have no idea what that's from, but it's only ever been marketed in the US as Solty Rei.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 08:16   Link #54
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
If its been changed again I have no idea simply for the reson I watched it back in early 06
It says the reason in the last line, because the fans confused two shows. Solty Rei and Origin: Spirits of the Past. I've never heard of Solty Rei being called origin elsewhere (banner ads, panels, funimation promotional stuff).
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 16:01   Link #55
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
"Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien" to "Rumbling Hearts" is like reeeeeeeeally dumb. o_o It doesn't even make sense! PHAIL.
What's wrong with making it "I Wish For You Eternally"!? That sounds so romantic!

*edit* ok I see why they chose it after reading the thread carefully but it still sounds pretty bad. I like my suggestion much more.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-02, 19:51   Link #56
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
"Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien" to "Rumbling Hearts" is like reeeeeeeeally dumb. o_o It doesn't even make sense! PHAIL.
What's wrong with making it "I Wish For You Eternally"!? That sounds so romantic!

*edit* ok I see why they chose it after reading the thread carefully but it still sounds pretty bad. I like my suggestion much more.
Ill go to war over that one and when i find the guinness who thought that changing the name to Rumbling Hearts was a good idea im going beat him with a large stick. One of my fav animes of all time was just down graded. What was wrong with the future you wish for i think that title is more catchy than rumbling hearts
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-03, 02:01   Link #57
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
I'd have to second that. "Rumbling Hearts" is an extremely generic title, lacking any sense of character and could easily refer to practically anything. By contrast "The eternity you wish for" is quite unique and beautiful in its sentiment.

Probably worst rename ever.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-03, 11:26   Link #58
I Like Shinny!
Me love you long time
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I going to go old school for a moment.

Kagaku ninja tai Gatchaman (Scientific Ninja Troop Gatchaman) to Battle of the Planets/G-Force/Eagle Riders.

I'm sorry, but that's not even close.
I Like Shinny! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 13:42   Link #59
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Oh, great:

Kodomo no Jikan -> Nymphet

No duh, the original name wouldn't work well for US release, but "Nymphet"? >.>
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 16:22   Link #60
Kikaifan
Blazing General
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA
Age: 28
I think a lot of this stuff is just a case of 'Garbage in, garbage out.' If it's nonsense in Japanese the translators are stuck either directly translating into nonsense or making up their own nonsense. Lose-lose.
__________________
Kikaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.