AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-29, 03:40   Link #81
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Um... Gatchaman?

And this girl looks extra wolfsrain-ish.

MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 05:02   Link #82
EricMontreal22

I like them so far...
EricMontreal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 14:00   Link #83
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Mitsuki Saiga?

Takehito Koyasu?

Daisuke Namikawa?

Juurouta Kosugi?

Norio Wakamoto? (even if it's just the narration)

Oh god, as if I didn't have enough shows to watch already as it is...
You forgot Marina Inoue
I hope they will give her a song
Old 2007-03-31, 14:03   Link #84
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blablabla View Post
You forgot Marina Inoue
I hope they will give her a song
That girl is already in 7 Spring shows, WTH?!

El Cazador de la Bruja (TV) as Lirio
Engage Planet Kiss Dum (TV) as Tohn Kirii
Hayate the Combat Butler (TV) as Wataru Tachibana
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS (TV) as Erio Mondial
Ookiku Furikabutte (TV) as Ruri Mihashi
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (TV) as Yoko
Toward the Terra (TV) as Seki Leigh Shiroei
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 06:11   Link #85
Bazaa

Oooh, Nobuteru Yuki! <3 I'm really excited for this show now! Is anyone going to sub it? =3
Bazaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 13:19   Link #86
Iwanihana

More illustration! You can see a scan from the magazine Anikan here.

Visit my blogs dedicated to 'Toward the Terra' and 'Mononoke':

http://irohanihoheto.typepad.com/toward_the_terra/
http://irohanihoheto.typepad.com/mononoke/
Iwanihana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 07:35   Link #87
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Episode 1 is out...

Looks even more retro than I expected.
Old 2007-04-07, 08:52   Link #88
wao
OK.

Just checked out ep 1. The OP had.... groups of people standing together in one part in a funny way! Which felt a bit retro, atlhough I don't know what I'm talking about really.

Anyway, nothing much to say except that it was ok. Animation was a bit better than I expected, the OP in particular (but then again it's doroku of all things, it's got to be shiny and a pretty OP is a prerequisite). But nothing particularly good (animation-wise) except for perhaps Soldier Blue's kamehameha energy ball and the bit before that.

If anything the voice acting put me off a wee bit, I mean I like Mitsuki Saiga and all that but she sounded a bit strained in some parts. I was hoping to hear Koyasu's job as Keith, but alas, I don't see him appearing until ep 3 possibly... (I know somebody who might be rather saddened by this.)

I'll keep watching for now, but it remains to be seen how long I'll watch. The premise can't be really judged from this first episode because it really was a set-up, but I liked seeing (what I thought was) Jomy's mixed feelings about being an adult, on one hand he knows it's something he's got to do, on another he sort of wants to stay youthful and still be able to stick to his own way, but then he didn't want to disappoint his parents because he's a Nice Kid ultimately.

There had better be some great plot points and characterisation because the direction and animation alone won't keep me watching, at any rate. I'll trust the words of others for now.

Oh yeah, UVERWorld's OP is nice, but not as nice as D.tecno-life or Colours of the Heart in my personal opinion. Or maybe I need time to get used to it.
Old 2007-04-07, 09:12   Link #89
Iwanihana

Yeah, the style is retro a la Legend of Galactic Heroes, which sells itself on the story and philoshophy but not the animation quality per se - there are long (and probably boring) shots of talking heads as the admirals discuss military and political matters. I don't expect the younger audience to accept this style readily at all.

I happen to like this first episode (the long version of what I think is here).

Last edited by Iwanihana; 2007-04-07 at 21:54.
Old 2007-04-07, 09:19   Link #90
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Though, the second episode promises a LOT of 3DCG space action.

It's interesting that they've decided to go with this minimalistic episode for the beginning and save the glitz for later. I foresee a lot of people claiming that this is a really bad low-budget anime. 8)
Old 2007-04-07, 09:20   Link #91
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
After reading Vol.1 of the manga, I was waiting for this. I was not disappointed. The character designs were less old-school than I thought they'd be, which is both good and bad. The "Universal Control" seemed less dramatic than it could have been, but maybe it's just me since I knew about it prior to watching. The OP was so-so, and I loved the ED (because I'm a sucker for classical, lyrics aside).
Old 2007-04-07, 09:22   Link #92
wao
OK.

Meh, I think the 2D animation feels better than the 3D stuff ...

...ah, but then I'm disgustingly biased and I haven't seen enough of the 3D stuff to complain about it (and well, whatever they did integrate into the show was good enough). And I totally don't expect the animation to get any better after this. It's Tokyo Kids (and Minamimachi) we're talking about after all. Am hearing that Kenichi Ohnuki (yeah, that dude from GS/GSD) may appear since, apparently, he was originally from Minamimachi Bugyousho. Whatever.

I was a little surprised to see Rion Kujo directing the OP, I remember Kujo from Gun X Sword...
Old 2007-04-07, 13:00   Link #93
prince leon
red knight

From what I've seen so far (still watching it) I love the OP to bits.

I liked what I've seen so far of the episode.
Old 2007-04-07, 13:26   Link #94
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Hey, I enjoyed it. Old-fashioned science fiction story, it appears. The story made sense. There are things happening. The characters worked. And the voice-acting was pretty good. I like Saiga Mitsuki's voice as Jomy. I was thinking how good the emotion in Jomy's mother's voice was and looked up who it was -- Yukana. Naruhodo.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 14:17   Link #95
Katapan
俺様祭り

The first episode worked very well for me. Probably because I am such a sucker for this type of sci-fi stories.

Oddly enough, I didn't find the artwork particularly retro... maybe because I can't compare with retro-looking series as I have yet to see very old productions. In any case, you can tell that the budget allows for good quality, nothing struck me as badly animated or drawn in an ugly way.

Voice acting was solid, but I didn't expect Soldier Blue's voice to be as 'manly' as Tomokazu Sugita's. I thought he was a girl before reading various summaries, that probably didn't help... (seriously, that character design is so misleading! I hope I'm not the only one who found him feminine after seeing the first pictures). I'm saddened by the fact that Yukana's character will most likely not appear much anymore (if at all), just because the acting was that great in ep1.

Now excuse me while I go play the OP once again...
Old 2007-04-07, 16:32   Link #96
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Never heard of the original one but i like the premise of the story so far. Reminds me of Gattaca with their highly controlled society.

Animation wise is passable but judging from the preview of next episode, the 3D scene looks pretty bad. I think they should have kept it fully 2D.

The only retro thing about this is the character design, it's a bit uncomfortable to watch at first but since this is meant to be retro, i guess it's ok.

Music is ok, some part of it are pretty good. The OP and ED are ok as well.

I'm looking forward to the next episode. This is definitely a keeper for sci-fi buffs.
Old 2007-04-07, 22:14   Link #97
aardvark

Not much else to say other than I'm satisfied with the first episode. I was expecting the amount of changes as they're spreading this over 24-26 episodes, so if anything im looking forward to how they expand the story. Otherwise, the animation wasn't really impressive, but the art is terrific. Music was pretty good and I actually liked the OP quite a bit, usually I dont really like uverworld, but I really liked their song here. My only worry now is the CG. The CG in the preview for episode 2 seemed pretty poor

The one thing that made me raise my eyebrow in the first episode though was how they changed Jomy's Mother compared to the manga.

Spoiler:

Doesn't seem like that big of a change to some I'm sure, but it does very much change how this society is presented in the show. While in the manga it literally was the sterile EVERYONE follows the rules type of society, down to even the parents who fulfilled their duty as "good citizens" at the expense of their childs will, the changes to Jomy's family in the anime doesn't make it as cut and dry as the manga, even if the rest of the outside society is pretty much presented as the manga originally did. (Note I havent finished the manga either as I'm reading Vertical's domestic publication)
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 22:48   Link #98
Iwanihana

Color spread from the May issue of Newtype is up.

Old 2007-04-08, 02:15   Link #99
Destinyblade

I watched the RAW for this episode, and then read Omni's and WRex's summaries for this. Here are my thoughts thus far:

- First of all, the OP: I just love it. UVERWorld's new song, endscape, is catchy in my opinion. In fact, this may be my most favorite J-Pop song at the moment. I found myself replaying the TV Sized version song multiple times.
- The ED by Miliyah Kato: It was okay, though nothing outstanding. There were some parts of the song I enjoyed, but it didn't really impress me.
- The episode itself: It wasn't too exciting. It was mostly an introduction to the characters, as well as some character interaction between Jomy and his friends/family. I am somewhat intrigued by Soldier Blue and the plot of this show, though.
- The preview looks promising, as it seems there will be some action in the next episode. Hopefully, it'll impress me more than the first episode.

I will give this at least one more episode to see if this'll be something I like or not. Chances are it will be (after all, I don't think I've run across an anime that was so bad that I dropped it), but at the moment, Ayakashi Ayashi was more interesting to me than this. But of course, since this is only episode 1, I will give this a couple more episodes before I decide.

And one final comment: I know MBS/TBS is trying to step the ratings up by replacing Ayakashi Ayashi with this show, but in my opinion, I don't see this show doing that well on doroku either. This show is similar to Ayakashi Ayashi in that it is retro looking and would appeal more to an older audience (after all, the manga is about 30 years old). If MBS/TBS really wants the ratings to go back up, they're going to need a show that can appeal to the fangirls that made Gundam SEED and Fullmetal Alchemist so popular. Hopefully, the rumored Gundam series (by Seiji Mizushima) coming this Fall will do just that. That is, if the rumored Gundam series is true.
Destinyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:54   Link #100
zalem

Saw the first episode yesterday....I liked it. I think I'm looking forward to the next episode to see how things unfold. I think this series has alot of potential. Hopefully. The style is very retro, but I don't mind that at all.

Tags
shounen