AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2007-01-12, 20:42   Link #1
Kaasman
Forged by pure anime love

Send a message via MSN to Kaasman
The best series are just too short

Well i have been watching anime for over half a year ( yeah i know still a newbie)
But i just noticed my favorite series like green green / ikkitoutsen / oh my goddess are all just too short

Anyone else has the same problem because i just am thinking like im the only one :S or do i just watch too much anime ( 10-20 episodes a day )

Please dont let me be the only one.

Dont fear me but fear my sword
Kaasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 21:01   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

10-20 a day?????? maybe for a weekend marathon session but not as a rule.

I usually watch one or two at breakfast (wife leaves for work at 0500) and then one at lunch break if something else isn't happening.... then I might watch one before bed (11ish). Much more than that and I start eating through the queue of things to watch too fast.

Series length comes in several ways for me:
1) Too short -- but its just right because the writers would have screwed it up with follow on filler.
2) Too short -- they completely missed dozens of opportunities for interesting short stories or events - sometimes because the budget is allocated based on predicted sales of merchandise and it is just small.
3) O My Godz make it stop!!! --- whatever value the series had has long ago been buried under filler or plotless nonsense.
4) Just Right --- the story is told and has a proper ending, no more no less "perfect.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-01-12 at 21:17.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 21:14   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

When I started watching anime, like you, I chewed through them, watching a ton of anime every day... and soon ran out of the better stuff.

But I'd never consider Green Green among my favorite anime... I could barely sit through the first episode. It's a pile of crap. Never had any interest in watching Ikkitousen... also looks crappy. Ah! My Goddess is merely decent. Go watch some good anime instead of complaining that the crappy ones are too short
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 21:50   Link #4
Kaasman

It depends what you think of crappy ones

Green green and ikkitousen are just real fun to watch i watch it in the night so i hate all the serious anime.
I just wanna have a laugh over watching anime and i also watched naruto / one piece alot of series with atleast +100 episodes but there arent much around i suppose

Dragonball
One piece
Naruto ??

Thats all i quess??.'

And also you say green green sucks well one thing i know by myself never watch one episode and then give your words about it watch the serie then you can talk about it good else it will just be saying something while only seen the intro wich are in alot of series just alot explaining and not much action

Old 2007-01-12, 22:25   Link #5
jedinat
フリーター

I watched the first episode then skimmed the rest of the series and watched the end... ugh. I can't stand anime about perverted guys

If those are the only other anime you've watched I guess I can't blame you... Its just that you said you've been watching anime for half a year at 10-20 episodes a day... I don't consider Naruto, DB, or One Piece to be very good either...

hmm... check some of these out. If you like the ecchi stuff there's better choices like Onegai Teacher, Midori no Hibi, Elfen Lied, even Mahoromatic or Ranma 1/2
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 22:40   Link #6
Kaasman

i suppose we are getting distracted this is part of suggestions watch my topic there.

Dont you have any series wich just aint long enough because of any reason?

Old 2007-01-12, 22:44   Link #7
Nergol

Best anime ever = Legend of Galactic Heroes

At 110 episodes, no one can accuse it of being too short.
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 23:35   Link #8
Kaasman

110= not bad but still not enough and is it an active show because its way more fun to just have something like WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT???

Then damn its over ( gives me 99% of the time an empty feeling)

Old 2007-01-12, 23:44   Link #9
Nergol

Well, how about downloading the Golden Wings and Spiral Labrynth prequel series? Those together add another 52 episodes of LoGHey goodness. They haven't officially been fansubbed yet, but rips of the Hong Kong DVDs are out there. Yarrh.
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 01:27   Link #10
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

I think what jedinat was talking about was that Green Green and Ikkitousen were never that popular in Japan.(and therefore are not considered "the best") Those types of series are short, because ecchi anime could easily get boring if it's dragged out too long, so the creators decided to play it safe.

Most of the more popular series, such as Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, and Neon Genesis Evangelion, are only 26 episodes long, because that's all they really need. If they added any more to Cowboy Bebop, the series just wouldn't go anywhere. Everything would seem like filler. If they added more to Escaflowne, then it might get dragged out too long with villain after villain. If they extended Neon Genesis Evangelion, all they'd do is add several more angels and fight scenes. This would've killed the religious symbolism, plot, and depth the series has at 26 episodes.
Old 2007-01-13, 02:12   Link #11
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Well heres good news for you ah my goddess isn't over yet.. plans have been made for a 3rd season and possibly a 4th lol definitely can't call that short!
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 06:37   Link #12
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, the reason that most "good" animes seem short is because they can't stay good for a prolonged period of time... you end up with crap like Naruto etc...

The series loose focus and become filler galore, with nothing significant happening. There is only so much you can do before the stuff becomes repetative and boring. This might be less of a problem for adventure type animes like Tsubasa Chronicle for example (2 x 26 seasons done 3rd season en route), but most series can't extend the plot for 100+(which seems to be your definition for "long") and remain "good" (much less "the best") at the same time.
Old 2007-01-13, 06:42   Link #13
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ /agree...so its better off to make things short, sweet and memorable or if its really popular then the producers might write a sequal but thats just an added bonus

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 07:54   Link #14
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The best animes ARE ALWAYS JUST TOO SHORT.

Because great animes leave you wanting for more and creates an empty void in the watcher's heart when it is over, regardless of how many episodes it had.

Legend of Galactic Heroes and the SEED franchise are 2 examples of my personal favourites that while long in episode count, caused holes in my fragile heart because I NEED MOAR~!

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 08:06   Link #15
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

BBB ( Black Blood Brothers ) was indeed quite short in the future there will be a season 2 hopefully . But as the saying goes Happiness comes in Small Doses/Proportions
Old 2007-01-13, 08:06   Link #16
Question
Crossdresser

I am of the opiniong that the best anime episodes are too short because the really long ones are mostly shounen animes with lousy plots and over re-using of previous footage.

Seriously. Look at gundam seed destiny. The only 2 reasons it managed to reach that episode count was :

-It had a previous, semi-decent(for a shounen anime) series

-It has the gundam brand

I can assure you that if gundam seed destiny has been marketed as a modified, stand alone shounen series, without the above 2 critiera and the staff had asked for the same number of episodes, they would have been laughed at in the face.

Most new anime are 13 or 26 episodes, the big name ones are banking on the brand name for those 40+ episode runs. No one wants to do a large amount of episodes on something unproven. Its just a lot easier for shounen animes to get the kind of viewage to go to the really high episode count, compared to other genres, because most screen time involves explanaing to the audience what move xyz is, the main characters trying to brainstorm ways to defeat the bad guys, the main characters training to increase their power, and vastly, overextended fight scences. Very very easy to animate and write scripts for.
Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 08:42   Link #17
Kaasman

Because great animes leave you wanting for more and creates an empty void in the watcher's heart when it is over, regardless of how many episodes it had.

this is a quote i suppose this is just the one thing that is ofc right series like green green leave a void and i seriously feel that weird enough just craving non stop for more .

I know about oh my goddess februari next season comes out saw it on wikipedia

I agree scripts do get boring at the end series like love hina you need to wait 20 episodes before they even kiss but still craving for more is problaby a good way to end a serie because it means they did one hell of a job

But am i just the only one who has that empty void ?

Old 2007-01-13, 09:56   Link #18
Narum1
The Downward Spiral

Send a message via MSN to Narum1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaasman View Post

Very very true. I know the feeling *(^_^)*
I'm used to watching drama's between 12 to 26 epi's, and it's always the same.
Be it a happy ending or a sad one, it always leaves me heartbroken, because I know there won't be anymore episodes left to watch for tomorrow xD

Being an otaku ain't easy! ^^V
Narum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 11:02   Link #19
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well... there is only one anime that I find as super and not too short.. Legend of Galactic Heroes, as Nergol said. However, I can never really watch enough of it in any one sitting.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 06:42   Link #20
Kaasman

Hmm so the feeling is normal then you know you watched a good serie