AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-01-03, 19:07   Link #1
marijke
HobbyWitch

this is weird

Well, i've been happily dl files for a few weeks now.
Opened the ports, everything was great, but today all of a sudden i can't access remote files anymore....
But nothing has changed, the ports are still filed and opened....
Is it even remotely possible that my ip address has changed ???
Anybody know how i can fix this ??

(ow i've tried this with several files, so even files which should have remote peers)

(i'm in a network connected to two computers, i connect through the other computer, but that's never been a problem before...)
Old 2004-01-03, 19:17   Link #2
DoddyUK
True Love Never Dies

I wonder if it's anything to do with the trackers going down or something like that? My download speed has been terrible today for the SailorStars fansub.
DoddyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-04, 07:40   Link #3
marijke
HobbyWitch

Ok...i found the problem...i have a dynamic ip-address...i didn't even know that existed
Ow well, it's fixed now.
Anybody know how often the address changes ??
Old 2004-01-05, 08:06   Link #4
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marijke
Ok...i found the problem...i have a dynamic ip-address...i didn't even know that existed
Ow well, it's fixed now.
Anybody know how often the address changes ??
Depends on the provider. I know with the Verizon DSL I have at home, my router can go for at least a day being off before it gets a new IP on startup. Some dynamic IPs have higher or lower TTL (time to live). Best way to avoid this is just don't turn your computer off; if it's a desktop it can handle being on pretty much all the time. If it's a laptop, well, probably less of an option.

--Cless
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-05, 08:23   Link #5
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClessAlvein
Some dynamic IPs have higher or lower TTL (time to live).
I think you are confusing the IP header field "TTL" with the DHCP controlled "IP lease time". TTL is the number of hops a packet can make before it is dropped (killed). The TTL field is decreased as it goes through each node in the network; when it gets to zero it isn't sent on anymore. This stops the packet floating around in the network forever. The DHCP IP lease time is a time-stamp that indicates when your ownership of an IP must be renewed or lost. It is common for a DHCP server to give you an IP for 24 hours, but it is up to the person running the server how long you have it. It is also normal to get the same IP each time you send a request to the DHCP server; however if someone else takes the IP while you are not using it, the DHCP server will simply give you a different one. Some ISPs set their lease time very low; like 2 hours or less. This is common for DialUp connections, especially when you are disconnected after 2 hours anyway.
Old 2004-01-05, 09:58   Link #6
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
I think you are confusing the IP header field "TTL" with the DHCP controlled "IP lease time".
My bad, I was describing lease time. It's been a while since that CISCO CCNA class. ::laughs::

--Cless
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote