AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 63 38.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 64 39.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 11.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 6.79%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.62%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.62%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.62%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-01-25, 01:57   Link #201
quina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Send a message via MSN to quina
well.. santa already said everything... so I will step away from that a bit then... since we are not going anywhere... and there aren't really much to see accept the scene..I will try other approach.

There are 2 points to note:
1. Mao is carrying a chess board around.
Mao has been observing Lulu for a couple of episode now, he probably have "read" him about chess sometimes ago. He would need to go out and buy a chess board and plan all this before. Does it really possible that he would never try it before? hmm I don't know.. what do you think?

2. Mao is Chinese.
According to Asuka scan (hmm correct me if I am wrong). Mao is a Chinese, China have different kind of chess. Remember China and Britania in code geass are GREAT GREAT RIVAL. It would be unlikely that a popular game from Britania (which royal family play) will be allow to played there...even if Mao has play chess before, it would be more likely that's its Chinese version...
More over.. hmm may be I should put this into spoiler...

Spoiler:
quina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 02:07   Link #202
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Just one thing...

I don't see the point of believeing everything Mao said. He may or may not be playing chess for the first time, but that is actually not important; what IS important, is that Mao claimed that this was his first chess match.

Remember, Mao does not have an active geass power, but a passive one. In order to affect people's actions, he needed to use words. Thus, to put himself at a psychological advantage, he needs Lelouch to believe himself to be inferior to Mao. "This is my first time playing chess" is just another mindgame, used to unsettle Lulu. It nearly worked too.

Oh, and I agree to some level with Santa Claus concerning Chess. It's a habit of mine to predict (or at least estimate) three or four moves ahead in a game. All it needs for Leouch to lose is to think "Oh dear! If he moves there and there and there, I am dead! I hope he didn't notice..." before Mao would win.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 02:18   Link #203
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
It's also a habit of mine because I'm a friggin amateur.

A master shouldn't play "hoping the other doesn't notice". He should try to gain small advantages. And those are often too subtle for a novice to recognize as such. And even if Mao can pluck from Lelouch's mind that they are advantages, what's he going to do about it? Lelouch may have half a dozen proper responses to his own moves in his head at any given time, but how would Mao choose between them if he can't understand them?

And even if it was like Lelouch playing against himself (which I find hard to believe could come from mere mind reading), it would be a close game. Not an utter defeat.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 02:28   Link #204
Nvis
Grumpy Senior
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Did Mao tell Shirley about the Geass?
It seemed she got the gist of it. And knew what Lulu was going to do, and screamed "No" just before she got Geass-ed.

She didn't want to be Geass-ed.....poor Shirley.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 02:36   Link #205
quina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
And even if it was like Lelouch playing against himself (which I find hard to believe could come from mere mind reading), it would be a close game. Not an utter defeat.
not really... if your plan is messed up the balanced is lost and if you are playing with yourself balance can never be gained back. It would be a close game if Lulu was trying to play safe the whole game and made no mistake. However he is a gambler type player, he sacrifire smaller pieces to gain something big in a long run. All he need is one victory move. What do you think would happen if Mao happen to read his mind and screw his plan once...worse twice. It would not be a close nor minor defeat game. It would be utter defeat.
quina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 02:41   Link #206
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
As the series goes on, I get the impression that Sunrise is going to drive it into the ground with absurd plot devices. Lancelot was the first of these, and it continues to detract from the show. Such plot devices disrupt the logical flow of events, and make it impossible to contemplate in a rational manner. The development of the plot is made meaningless.

Anyways, the reason I mention this is that Mao's geass leaves me with much the same impression. It is far beyond reading people's minds--it is more like omniscience. It is a similarly absurd element that they have introduced which simply does not fit into the universe that they have created.

Reading peoples minds would be convenient, and would certainly allow you to manipulate people. The fact remains though--it is only a source of information. Just because you know what is on someone's mind does not mean you have the time or ability to react to such knowledge. The chess game was a perfect example; there is no way a novice (even a mind-reading one) could win such a game. At best, it would give an experienced player an advantage.


Though, I really like the show, my hopes are fading; it will probably end up as most other Sunrise shows do. At this point, I am anticipating the remaining episodes of Soukou no Strain far more.
Its not that Mao won just because he read the mind of Lulu. Mao is smart and also if my speculation is correct he was given Geass from a really young age and was also a survivor of war ( watch episode 11 and look closely at the flash backs that C.C had ). I think he actually had a similar history as Lulu with the exception that C.C was the only one he had ( unlike lulu that has had farily easy life with his friends). So maybe this is one of the reasons why Mao is so crazy about C.C.

So overal he has way more experience than Lulu and is probably super smart. So thats how he was able to beat Lulu.
__________________
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 03:08   Link #207
bond4154
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Continuing the chess argument...

The argument doesn't really stand because. Yes, Mao could've read Lelouch's thoughts and known where NOT to move. I find it unlikely that he, assuming it WAS his first time playing chess, knew exactly WHERE to move the pieces to defeat Lelouch just by reading his surface thoughts. While Mao could easily avoid traps this way, it doesn't necessarily make it so that Mao can turn this into his own advantage and WIN the game.

But I agree, even if it WAS his first time playing and I'm wrong in thinking it WASN'T his first time, it's another Sunrise overdramatic cheapshot. I'm still convinced it wasn't his first time playing chess, though.

On a really random note, though, Chess and Chinese Chess do share some similarities, though. However, since I'm no expert at Chinese Chess (despite knowing how to play it), I can't really say whether Mao could've planned a chess strategy using Chinese Chess... >_>
__________________
Fill something remotely interesting here.
bond4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 03:10   Link #208
seraphon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
mmmmm
I have a theory on the chess matter.
Mao win not because he is smart or of his geass but because the author thougth it would be cool to see lelouch lose in a chess game and that it would make mao look smart.........
At this point, where mao can read peoples mind at ligth speed its no use to guess if mao knew or not how to play chess.I mean, when he says C.C and then "wow , you thougth about 14 possibilities" there was just about 1 second. Personnally I just had time to think "fuck", quite far from the 14 possibilities of lelouch, and mao is terrific too cause he could hear those 14 possibilities and make a sense of them all...... in just one second....
Lets face it, us poor normal people cannot even start to understand such geniuses.
seraphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 03:11   Link #209
etothex
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I don't know if he's supersmart, but he definitely has some crazy brain processing power. Remember he commented that LL came up with 14 different possibilities for his identity in an instant. That means he actually sorted through LL's thoughts and counted that quickly.
Against LL at chess, he would have an advantage at being able to read LL's thoughts for a few moves, knowing a few moves ahead means you can effectively counter his attacks, but there is also long term strategy and power shifts that come from unexpected moves, accidents, or overlooked positions, so its not like just because he can see a few moves ahead he'll win. To illustrate my point (yes I think I have one) Mao reads from LL that LL is planning to use his rook to take Mao's bishop. Mao can move the bishop out of harms way then. But perhaps Mao moves the bishop into a position that later allows LL's queen to take it, a situation which only arose because Mao moved the bishop where he did.
He wouldn't be able to avoid that sort of weakness unless he knew quite a bit about chess as well.
It seems he's able to sort through peoples thoughts very quickly. I'm sure he's had a lot of time to practice while going insane from hearing everyone's thoughts non-stop. I like how he used CC's voice ala headphones as a way to focus off incoming thoughts, which likely led to his obsession. Let's see what he wants from her. Maybe to make a new set of voice recordings?

bond and seraph threw some of my thoughts into their posts right before i finished it, I didn't mean to be redundant.
etothex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 03:35   Link #210
sevenheaven7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
so shirley won't appear anymore in code geass? the love triangle is ending....
sevenheaven7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 04:07   Link #211
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenheaven7 View Post
so shirley won't appear anymore in code geass? the love triangle is ending....
Err... Unless you mean a CC/Kallen/Shirely yuri love triangle, I think there are plenty of other love polygons around the show.

At the very least, the CC/Kallen/Lelouch triangle isn't going anywhere.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 04:27   Link #212
Areguzanda
Ecchi!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oslo, Norway
Age: 27
Man..I just hate these things...
when someone gets their memory of someone they love erased....
It just makes my heart hurt...
I don't like it...I don't like it at all....
__________________


Areguzanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 04:47   Link #213
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
It's funny since I didn't even vote for Lelouch x Shirley in that romance poll, but now I feel he took the easy way out by geassing her. He should have let her heal naturally and tried harder to work things out with her.

But I guess he couldn't really take the chance. Ah, well. :\
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 06:21   Link #214
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: As far from reality as possible
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenheaven7 View Post
so shirley won't appear anymore in code geass? the love triangle is ending....
Are we sure we've seen the last of Shirley? I feel bad for not voting for her in the poll section now . I believe that Shirley is the easy way to learn all limitation of Geass if she remains a part of the story (how long will her memory be like that? Lulu apparently hopes forever. Is it susceptible to being countered somehow? Lulu hopes not, but still...).
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 06:34   Link #215
evanx
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
I wonder who's the replacement that Flyod is talking about.

CC knows a lot of stuff that she should be telling Lulu.

Lulu looks very sad at the end...
evanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 06:51   Link #216
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Are we sure we've seen the last of Shirley? I feel bad for not voting for her in the poll section now . I believe that Shirley is the easy way to learn all limitation of Geass if she remains a part of the story (how long will her memory be like that? Lulu apparently hopes forever. Is it susceptible to being countered somehow? Lulu hopes not, but still...).
Well, perhaps Shirley needed to exit the stage in order to give more screen-time to the up-and-coming Villetta?

Seriously, you can re-write the episode as if Mao had tried to shoot Lulu only for Shirley to take the fatal injury, and the episode would have ended in practically the same way. At least in this case, Shirley gets to live. We have far more characters than the plot needs right now, and Shirley is turning into the fifth wheel. Sure, under a school-yard romance she would have a place in the story, but that just isn't what Code Geass is about.

Lelouch already have someone to protect, and that someone is his sister. He most certainly haven't got the capacity to watch out for one more person who can't defend herself. I know this sound cruel, but as i say, it's still better than killing her off.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 07:42   Link #217
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Well, perhaps Shirley needed to exit the stage in order to give more screen-time to the up-and-coming Villetta?

Seriously, you can re-write the episode as if Mao had tried to shoot Lulu only for Shirley to take the fatal injury, and the episode would have ended in practically the same way. At least in this case, Shirley gets to live. We have far more characters than the plot needs right now, and Shirley is turning into the fifth wheel. Sure, under a school-yard romance she would have a place in the story, but that just isn't what Code Geass is about.

Lelouch already have someone to protect, and that someone is his sister. He most certainly haven't got the capacity to watch out for one more person who can't defend herself. I know this sound cruel, but as i say, it's still better than killing her off.

YOU ARE SO CRUEL, TO EVEN SUGGEST THE IDEA OF Shirly DIEING .

I am just kidding . But some people's favorite character was Shirly ( well it was my second after Lulu of course) and were Hoping a little bit more air time for Shirly. In that multi vote poll, i favored Shirly- Lulu so much, that it was my only choice.

So i am going to still keep my hopes up and wish in future Shirly will come back.

Also i agree with you that we have many other characters in the story, but they arent really main characters. In my personal opinion Code geass is unlike GSD that had so many main characters. The main character would be Lulu of course, because everything revolves around him and every one else eaither are his enemies or his allies. In GSD we had Kira + Athrun + Kagali+ Shin and partly lacus as main characters.
__________________
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 10:20   Link #218
Green²
It's Magic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Up and to the Left
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
YOU ARE SO CRUEL, TO EVEN SUGGEST THE IDEA OF Shirly DIEING .

I am just kidding . But some people's favorite character was Shirly ( well it was my second after Lulu of course) and were Hoping a little bit more air time for Shirly. In that multi vote poll, i favored Shirly- Lulu so much, that it was my only choice.

So i am going to still keep my hopes up and wish in future Shirly will come back.

Also i agree with you that we have many other characters in the story, but they arent really main characters. In my personal opinion Code geass is unlike GSD that had so many main characters. The main character would be Lulu of course, because everything revolves around him and every one else eaither are his enemies or his allies. In GSD we had Kira + Athrun + Kagali+ Shin and partly lacus as main characters.
I really wouldn't be too surprised if Shirly does come back in a later episode. Especially when if the chick she shot gets up and around again and asking questions. And that guy that found her bleeding there, he being probably more interested in who Zero really is and what his true intentions really are. Though they being more likely to investigate Zero, one can't help but to think payback that she'll want against Shirly for the gunshot. Which later to them will be apparent that Shirly lost her memory, and it'll be like: "You too? But that same thing happened to me as well, back when I lost my...!". ...Except for a few missing dots here and there, down the road the crap probably going to hit the fan really quick. And Ougi to likely be thrown in along with it.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 10:28   Link #219
FSNxPhantom
ZOMG!!! HEAVEN'S FEEL FTW
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas (go H-Town)
Send a message via AIM to FSNxPhantom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
What's the matter FSN? You can't seem to distinguish between the Aile pack(Which has 4 wings and is significantly bigger) and the Jet pack(Which the windams uses and actually looks nearly identical)?.
The launch scene is similar but that's about it.



There's been at least 3 people who have piloted Strike if your basing it on that....
Just stating that it looks very similar to the GS intros of the Strike Unit lauching out... LOOKS TOOO SIMILAR of lauch. Thats all I'm stating.

And the chess argument became pretty complicated to keep track with.
__________________
How to describe this...


Last edited by FSNxPhantom; 2007-01-25 at 10:40.
FSNxPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 15:14   Link #220
division
x/0
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I only hope that the darker Zero/LL we saw in ep 13 was a pained-reaction slash attempt to run away or assign blame for the death of shirley's father on the JLF and that the events with Shirley in this episode maybe instilled more of a sense of regret rather than a desire to "follow the path of carnage". I liked the mix of serious and jovial moments this series has had, and if it just turns into a giant mecha variant of Death Note I'm going to be a bit upset.

On a side note, and this has been bugging me for a while, why wouln't LL just put in the dozen or so geasses and 2 hours worth of effort to find out Suzaku's the Lance pilot and Geass him to his cause? I was hoping back in ep (11?) when Suzaku had his breakdown when faced with his father seemingly shamed by him, that Suzaku might finally have some real anti-empire leanings-- but apparently it had no impact at all.
__________________

Last edited by division; 2007-01-25 at 15:57.
division is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.