AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-18, 14:53   Link #1
retardation
phantom loser

yakuza/mafia anime

what are some good series that deal with organized crime from the criminal's perspective? i've love both american and japanese mafia and yakuza movies but i can't think of that many anime that deal with yakuza stuff, including ninja ones. the only thing i can think of is gungrave (which was awesome by the way)... oh yeah there's also that anime about the woman teacher who is a yakuza daughter or something. noir might also sort of fit... but not really what i'm looking for. there must be tons of others. i hope i haven't made this thread before.
Old 2007-01-18, 15:08   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

The one about the yakuza daughter/teacher is Gokusen. I tried watching the anime but it looked really stupid so I dropped it. I looked at the manga recently and loved it. It's alot less goofy than the anime. (there's no talking dog for one ) So check out the manga if you're so inclined.

I can't really think of any anime... There's that stupid Hitman Reborn with the babies Couldn't get past the first episode with that one.
Old 2007-01-18, 15:41   Link #3
Scorch

Texhnolyze deals extensively with organized crime. One of the main characters is the leader of a syndicate. That's not to say that the series is about organized crime, but I can't think of anything with more yakuza.
Old 2007-01-18, 16:37   Link #4
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I second Gokusen as well...though I never like the anime but since you're asking for a gang/mafia anime, then check that out.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-01-18, 17:41   Link #5
Ziv

I don't think it's what you're looking for, but Cowboy Bebop does fit your description.
Old 2007-01-18, 18:05   Link #6
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Gun Grave fits perfectly to what you are looking for. I also suggest to check out Black Lagoon.
Old 2007-01-18, 18:41   Link #7
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

There aren't nearly enough mafia anime, which is a shame, since it's such a winning formula for drama, as proved by all the amazing mafia films that have come out of the States throughout history. Gungrave further proves this.

Not that I have anything else to contribute to this thread, except that they need to make way more mafia anime in the future.

Edit: Maybe Monster also counts, since there are some (minor) mob elements in it. (I'm really clutching at straws here)
Old 2007-01-18, 19:11   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I also suggest to check out Black Lagoon.
In particular the closing arc of season two, "The Second Barrage," which I believe starts around episode 19 (or the 7th episode of Second Barrage). Such a wonderfully unlikely yakuza boss!
Old 2007-01-18, 19:14   Link #9
Jimbasushi

Send a message via AIM to Jimbasushi
i second black lagoon season 1 and 2!

i would also suggest air gear, it has somewhat a gang dealio.

and lastly you might try Chromartie High School.
Old 2007-01-20, 00:53   Link #10
TsubasaSeraphina

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Gun Grave fits perfectly to what you are looking for. I also suggest to check out Black Lagoon.
GunGrave is EXACTLY what you're looking for~ not that I can say for certain you'll like it, but it deals specifically with mafia. I just finished watching it today, myself, and I thought it was overall a rather impressive anime- most of the characters where great, especially Brandon and Harry, the main characters; I really loved the sountrack, but soundtracks are really more subject to personal taste than any other aspect of anime, I think; the animation wasn't amazing anything, and the videos I downloaded weren't the greatest quality-wise, but it was good enough; overall value/enjoyment, I must say, was pretty high, it remains interesting throughout~
I love you; my chest fills up
I want to cry out to the winter sky
I want to see you now
~Eternal Snow
Old 2007-01-20, 01:27   Link #11
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Futakoi atlernative its an comedy/romance it loosely revovles around Yakuza I mean if you dont get any Yakuza based anime watch this make it last on your list . After watching Futakoi this was a let down and please dont go by first ep the chracter development is poor

DWNLD
Old 2007-01-20, 22:02   Link #12
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

Only bad thing I could say about gungrave is that the end of the series is so far from what it began to be about. Still, awesome series!
Old 2007-01-20, 22:38   Link #13
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Hitman Reborn is a "mafia" anime, with a shounen spin on things.

But I guess I'm being "extra" and it isn't *really* what you're looking for. =D
Old 2007-01-20, 23:44   Link #14
Frans

Maybe you could try Speed Grapher. It's a bit darker than GunGrave, but the overall story isn't as good as GunGrave.
For overall story, I think GunGrave is one of the best out there, so it's difficult to find something similar but on par with it.

And like Scorch said, there's Texhnolyze. It's about.. I'm not really sure... It's one of those confusing anime that you need to watch it carefully to understand what's going on. It definitely have groups of yakuza/mafia. The ending is quite disturbing. Unlike GunGrave, this anime didn't exactly have happy moments.

Since you mention ninja... There's Basilisk. It's about two ninja clan killing each others. The true enemy intention only appears in latter episodes, so it isn't exactly from the criminal perspective.
Old 2007-01-21, 19:06   Link #15
Acies

I'd also suggest Tehnolyze, it got some nice Yakuza/Mafia involment in it.
Old 2007-01-22, 02:10   Link #16
Cetra
Banned

First thing that comes to mind is Black Lagoon.
Old 2007-01-24, 07:15   Link #17
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
thanks for the recommend on Gungrave, I read on this thread and check a few eps, very great mafia anime.
Old 2008-07-10, 19:46   Link #18
goddessofheaven

How come nobody's mentioned Baccano! yet?!?! Watch it now!!! XD

Edit: And if you're up for manga, try Tokyo Crazy Paradise, although it's a bit old.
Old 2008-07-10, 20:02   Link #19
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
HnG for realz

jk

but i think baccano is good
Old 2008-07-10, 20:16   Link #20
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

LOL Hitman Reborn = Yugioh level of mafia life ...Still Good though for light-shonen with action, but prepare to wait about 40 eps before it really gets interesting...Yep about 40 eps, I almost gave up on it, but I'm glad I didn't because I can't believe how action-packed and visually cool it became...I mean don't get me wrong it's still OK in the start (mostly the comedy), but the fighting aspect of the show doesn't get serious until the rival mafias come into play...

Try Golgo 13 TV if you want something hardcore with guns, guns, and more guns, oh and women, oh and did I say guns? Lots of mafia-centric eps because they are always trying to kill Golgo...

Gunslinger Girls (I and II) also has a heavy mafia based influence and it takes place in Italy the homeland of kissing the ring...One caveat, it's 10 year old looking girls killing people ^_*...

Enjoy!!^^