AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2008-08-07, 19:21   Link #1021
flick
電脳コイル'd

This is good news for DC Whether or not I agree with some of the 'methods' used by DB (I think way2slow described it as 'trolling' or 'screwing around') it does mean the potential audience is a lot greater for Denno Coil and this anime really needs to be promoted!

However, I really hope that the new viewers will appreciate the anime just as much as everyone on this thread has done so far, when everyone had to wait (painfully) for the nail-biting release of each episode (and subbed versions). I would be worried that the fact Denno Coil is really quite different to Naruto would mean many might not be able to fully enjoy the anime.

So anyway, I would disagree (probably extremely) with anyone trying to undermine what Ureshii and Anonymous have done for the series, as without them, the fanbase for Denno Coil would have been far smaller, and would have taken much longer to develop. Three cheers!

Dedicated Back-on Forums
http://www.backon-online.com/forums/
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 22:46   Link #1022
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrv View Post
It seems that the Visual Collection book was released about a week ago, but is out of stock in many stores including Amazon which didn't even have a chance to post an image of it.

Since it's a commercial book, it should be readily available in many places, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Was the book recalled or something? Maybe a printing error, or just problems in mass producing it?
http://www.akadotretail.com/product_...ducts_id=26678
Old 2008-08-23, 02:56   Link #1023
blewin

wow, DC renewal! this anime sure might just get the higher rating that it deserves.
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 03:55   Link #1024
wao
OK.

I would have gotten this book weeks ago if it wasn't for my friend leaving Japan the very day the book came...

If nobody else posts their review of the book I could make some comments on it when (assuming everything goes fine) I should get it in September or so...
Old 2008-08-23, 19:11   Link #1025
Kirarakim

I was surprised to see it sold out on Amazon.jp too. But then $48 is little bit more then I can spend on an art book right now anyways.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-23, 19:36   Link #1026
aorta

Old 2008-08-23, 23:41   Link #1027
ArabianSwan
Ureshii ^_^

Send a message via AIM to ArabianSwan
tempting
Can we have a bigger res of the pics plz ^_^
ArabianSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 19:28   Link #1028
jsrv

Visual collection looks good; I also heard that they might release a color illustration book soon too (Since the visual collection is nothing but b/w sketches).

By the way, which parts did Iso and Inoue animate in the anime? Any particular episodes where their difference in style is most obvious?

(Is this right?)
Left: Iso
Right: Inoue
jsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 21:02   Link #1029
wao
OK.

You should ask Ben or Huw M or the other people who've been more in touch and have better memory about sakuga than me, but afaik...

In the show itself Iso did not deviate his drawings so much from the character designs by Honda. His original designs, however, do look a lot closer to the drawing on the left (see the imageboards released before the anime came out)

However... and I expect to be wrong on this, the left drawing looks more like Nobutake Ito's drawings from episode 3 than anything Iso drew.

Inoue did lots of things scattered around the show, and so did Iso. As far as I remember, I thought he did the chariot-hair in episode 12, the sakura falling in episode 26, and Isako's hair coming loose in the same episode (the last two were according to that Coil Night event I think)

Looking at the ever-helpful sakugawiki, this is what it lists

Spoiler:

I don't know how much is true for Inoue. But he usually draws quite faithfully to the character designs...
And if you look at the storyboard pictures, by that time Iso's rough drawings of the characters look more like Inoue's designs than his own ones.
Old 2008-09-02, 10:15   Link #1030
Huw M

I'm afraid I don't have any clue as to which bits Iso did besides the sakuga wiki information (Thanks for the translation Wao, you consistently deliver the goods) - as for the drawing on the left, I don't imagine Nobutake Ito sits around doing illustrations for magazines and stuff, although it does look a bit like his style. Though at a guess, I'd say Iso 'cos I know he draws the eyes like that. And that fact that its more detailed suggests it was done earlier in development, before Takeshi Honda was enlisted to do the animation character designs.

Spoiler for Bob Loblaw:

As for anything else Iso animated, I imagine the fans at that coil night event would have squeezed every possible bit of information out of him as to what parts he did...And I wouldn't expect him to have animated much else himself considering all his other duties.

Now, I just gotta get my hands on that book...
Huw M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 00:44   Link #1031
abcd69

I just finished watching this anime, it is sad but it has a positive message..

I think now I'm gonna start with the series "Death Note" xD
abcd69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-22, 11:05   Link #1032
wao
OK.

Okay, so now that I have FINALLY gotten the Dennou Coil Visual Collection after many hiccups and much miscommunication et cetera... well, aohige basically showed everything you need to know about the book, but I might as well 画蛇添足, as they say in Chinese...

The summary: it's almost entirely black and white genga/rough drawings (the obi advertises: 2000 pieces!!).
No art boards, only about 7 coloured pictures used in magazines, and no interviews.
This is not a book meant for the casual fan, it is for animation/art fans (or real Dennou Coil addicts who want ANYTHING Coil)

If you are bored by what aohige posted, namely frames of animation and timesheets, then you're probably not going to benefit much from this book.
But if you want to pore over the original, nuanced, intended lines behind your favourite scenes and study the timing and movements behind this show's awesome animation - this book is for you.

Aaand if you still want to see my silly, half-dazed ramblings with a few shitty scans, you may continue...
Spoiler for Largely no spoilers:

I could compile a list of all the cuts featured in the animation section, so that if anyone wants to guess animators the drawings could help. In penance for not having finished translating Part 3 of Coil Night, ahem...

Last edited by wao; 2008-09-22 at 11:20. Reason: make my engrish a little less fail - good night
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 03:35   Link #1033
flick
電脳コイル'd

Not quite sure how to express my excitement in words, so here is a pictur to illustrate what I'm (mentally) doing (not in quite the same manner but...):

Anyway, when I clicked on the 'spoiler' tag, I was a little worried it was going to be too short, but go Wao for taking all that time to scannerise everything! Not sure if these are meant to be the highlights of this thick artbook, but I found it very interesting to see the sketches of certain scenes in particular of the main characters, and even
Spoiler:

I do like the grid-boxes from Madhouse though (makes me want to own a blank one) Unfortunately the annotations were lost on me - I thought one with an arrow leading to it was a fly on Yasako's face, and was wondering which episode that came from until I looked again and realised it was an arrow >_<

One of my most favourite scans has to be the one called 'episode 26 spoiler' by wao, although I'd agree that the one with Y&I was really very powerful - even in B&W!

A big thanks to wao and aorta for sharing their pictures/photos

p/s: Just realised it says 'Den-noh Coil' on the cover. I've been spelling it wrong the whole time!

Dedicated Back-on Forums
http://www.backon-online.com/forums/
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 10:02   Link #1034
wao
OK.

I haven't been keeping up with anything Dennou Coil related recently, but it's only just come to my attention that they're putting out another Dennou Coil related book that's just making me wish I had a second birthday in October...

Last time it was the key animations from the show; this time they're releasing Mitsuo Iso's drafts and other material used in his project proposal (企画書), presumably when pitching Dennou Coil to various execs. I expect there'll be oodles of Iso doodles including characters that didn't make the cut and all sorts of awesome concepts in the rough.

W A N T.

You can find it on Amazon where it's going for 3150 yen. And I can prove I'm out of the loop because apparently this is getting released tomorrow... and I hadn't heard about it until less than 15 minutes ago.
I'd have saved up for this, dammit...
Old 2008-10-19, 04:44   Link #1035
Solafighter
Hige

Just finished watching the anime of it.

Well on the first couple of episodes, it wasnt that interesting but when the plot is getting more into it, espeacilly with Isako, i couldnt stop watching.
Old 2008-10-19, 18:47   Link #1036
ellifeedn
Thinker

I found this series to be amazing. The plot flowed very well and the characters were great. The ending may have been a little too dramatic for my tastes, but it was still good. I still wonder one thing though: in the detective agency, who was number "4"?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 21:32   Link #1037
wao
OK.

If anyone following this thread's still wondering whether to get the "project book" mentioned in my earlier post...

Here's a sneak peek inside as kindly provided by the guy over at Halcyon Realms. You remember those 2 promotional pictures going around drawn by him?... That was just the tip of the iceberg.

This book appears to be useful not only for artists (/me drools at Iso's drawings) but for Coil fans too. Would you look at Satchii's concept illustration?! What the hell is that?

I'm just assuming he didn't pick only the most interesting pages because even those few are so awesome - Isako looking ridiculously good in overalls (officially!), Denpa with a 'do, and damn do I love those subdued colours!

I'm hoping to get this somewhere in December... When I get my hands on it, if anyone hasn't already scanned it to hell and back and dissected it, I'm more than willing to share any highlights.
Old 2008-10-28, 21:34   Link #1038
Kristen
*Author
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Well, I'm watching this on a weekly basis with a club, and I have to say, so far this is just AMAZING. The non-mainstream eyes, the songs, and the way that Isako just plays with the boys is amazing. I'm up to episode 8 so far, and I just feel like these episodes are too short.

Does it fade off at the end, or does it remain really good?
Old 2008-10-28, 21:41   Link #1039
wao
OK.

Depends on what's "good" for you. The second half (post-13) takes on a significantly different tone because it goes beyond just a bunch of kids "playing around"... for better or for worse, it delves into a more complicated overarching plot with more "anime-like" grand developments.

Some vastly prefer the second half to the first as it's much more exciting (lots of twists and turns, that's for sure), but some prefer the first for its unassuming, truly fun nature.

I won't say it fades off at the end, but depending on your taste the ending might be a little guffaw-inducing. Personally I recommend just watching it till the end - it certainly doesn't go into trainwreck syndrome IMO, and the production quality remains consistently high.
Old 2008-10-29, 03:39   Link #1040
Solafighter
Hige

From my point of view, the ending suits to the complete. I was like instead of *yawn*.

I like this series and will probobly rewatch all in a marathon(of all eps ).

Tags
mystery, science fiction