AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-06-04, 22:32   Link #161
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Encounter of the 4th kind:



Thanks to Sonhex's synopsis of episode 4, I'm getting the RAW. While I may be setting up myself for 20 minutes of bafflement, I'll at least able to recognize the word "uenchi" when it is said.

P.S. Oyaji has a cute butt. hehe~

edit: Episode 5 preview seems to promise spanking because a butt is positioned in the south-west direction..

Spoiler for image specific preview of episode 5:
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.

Last edited by monir; 2007-06-05 at 00:25.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 09:10   Link #162
Gundampilotspaz
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Send a message via AIM to Gundampilotspaz
Best show out in the Spring Season so far. (Darker then Black close second) It's a shame that it's being released so slowly.

I really love the universe, so much cyberpunk is very dark and grim; but this gives it a light spin that really just works. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Gundampilotspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 05:38   Link #163
wao
OK.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Fields of High Attus
Age: 25
Crossposted. I'm looking for a bit of help... and since hardly anyone visits this thread I might as well do some advertising while I'm at it

Firstly - info for DVD 1 is out.
Spoiler for Saving space:


Another thing is the novel, which went on sale before the show started, but since I think nobody here could genuinely read it I guess there's no point talking about it (except to say that it gives additional info and yet doesn't spoil the show, from what I hear, and the reviews of it are not bad). By the way, the novel author Yuko Miyamura (who has the exact same kanji as Asuka's seiyuu, but is a completely different person) is apparently going to do some of the script in the anime, from what I read somewhere.

But what I'm most interested in is that in the latest Animage there was an announcement that a Roman Album of Dennou Coil is going on sale - and on the 30th of June, no less.
Spoiler for It's basically a sort of artbook:


And this is where I would like to ask for help. I've done a crude google search for finding out where to buy it, and so far I've found only this site (JBOOKS.com) which... doesn't seem to ship overseas. I cannot find a single other site that stocks it yet! How could I possibly get this...? I would be very interested in obtaining a copy, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Currently my only option would be to get someone from Japan to help me order it or buy it from a bookshop and ship it over, but isn't there some other place? The sale date is half a month away...

Spoiler for blah blah me explaining why we should all be good consumers:



And now to wait in excitement for episode 5! \o/

EDIT: Since I was so impatient to get my hands on anything on this episode because I'm really interested in Haraken, here's a load of screenshots from episode 5 grabbed off 2ch http://monkeyuploader.dyndns.org/Off...mnkyup3397.jpg
Spoilery, of course! I ended up only glancing through it because in the end I like this show too much to want to be spoiled by it.
I'd reupload it but it's 4 megs.
__________________
Thanks for the fish

Last edited by wao; 2007-06-09 at 06:05.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 06:03   Link #164
gaguri
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundampilotspaz View Post
Best show out in the Spring Season so far. (Darker then Black close second) It's a shame that it's being released so slowly.

I really love the universe, so much cyberpunk is very dark and grim; but this gives it a light spin that really just works. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Yea, for now it's much more focused on exploring the intrigues and magical possibilities of a cybernetic world. It's very different from other cyberpunk animes like Ergo Proxy, where the effects of advanced technology on human level is dark and grim. But I don't now if it will maintain its light feel, the opening of the title suggest that there's something more to it. And this 'coil a circle of children', I still can't even get a slightest idea what this may suggest. And it's my favourite show of the season too, although I'm not too sure on the best one.
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 06:18   Link #165
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
...

And now to wait in excitement for episode 5! \o/

EDIT: Since I was so impatient to get my hands on anything on this episode because I'm really interested in Haraken, here's a load of screenshots from episode 5 grabbed off 2ch http://monkeyuploader.dyndns.org/Off...mnkyup3397.jpg
Spoilery, of course! I ended up only glancing through it because in the end I like this show too much to want to be spoiled by it.
I'd reupload it but it's 4 megs.
Awesome! I can't wait to see Haraken, and from the screenshots...

Spoiler for ep 5:

Must. Have. Episode 5...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 06:42   Link #166
wao
OK.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Fields of High Attus
Age: 25
Just watched it. I admit it may not have felt as good as 4, but still I would most definitely say it's keeping up the quality. The animation is great as usual, and there's always more interesting things coming up.

To answer your question,
Spoiler:



EDIT: Other things I noticed upon a second watching included how
Spoiler:
__________________
Thanks for the fish

Last edited by wao; 2007-06-09 at 08:46.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 10:41   Link #167
Huw M
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
How could I possibly get this...? I would be very interested in obtaining a copy, so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Wao, you might try looking at this place for the Coil Roman Album: http://www.nippon-export.com/ It's not listed on the site, but I am sure they will stock it when it comes out.

As for your righteous crusade () to get people to buy denno coil stuff, I'm sure such die hard support is not needed to ensure this is a hit, as Coil is airing in a premium timeslot and is apparently quite popular over in Japan already. Seems like the lower price on the standard edition is aiming toward the mainstream audience. I'm also sure it'll get licensed, it even has an english title already (Coil: A circle of children).

That said, I've been waiting for an artbook and will definitely pick the Roman Album up, and will perhaps consider the Region 2 LE DVD set if it comes with irresistible stuff like KA and Storyboards, else pick it up when it comes out in Australia. I agree with you 100% that something of this ridiculously high quality deserves our complete and total support though

And uh, this is my first post on the AnimeSuki forums. 'Sup all.
Huw M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 11:03   Link #168
wao
OK.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Fields of High Attus
Age: 25
Well, the point is that on this forum... things work differently, you're much less likely to find people who are likely to support the thing. Sorry if I sounded overzealous there, I usually don't take that stance myself because I don't have the ability to pay for things myself, but if I beg hard enough I can get a certain someone to help me order it...

I notice they have a number of Roman Albums there, even for more recent shows, so maybe I'll give it a shot a week or so after the book is out and try my luck. I just hope all the sakuga otaku don't snap up every single copy or something (I don't suppose they will...)

As for whether it's a big hit or not, I really wouldn't know yet, but while lower prices do tend to mean they're aimed at people who don't normally watch anime as well, there are things like BLEACH, Gintama and D.Gray-man which, if I'm not wrong, are going at an even cheaper price...
it's just that this doesn't have an "original work" at all unlike those shows (or like most mainstream-appeal shows, I guess) so it's betting entirely on the quality of the anime...

...but still, whether this is a hit or not (airing in a primetime slot doesn't mean it is a hit, but it has the potential to be one), I definitely would like to support them if this quality keeps up. I think there are a bunch of people who are totally convinced to pay up the good ol' NHK fee in view of Seirei no Moribito and then this.

There's also another thing that's been noticed elsewhere which I didn't realise I picked up - the limited edition is 110 minutes but the normal one is 50... I suppose the extra 60 minutes are extras, right. I thought they'd be on separate discs though. Also, I failed to notice that apparently the limited edition is ranked #42 on Amazon's bestsellers list. But of course it is below Code Geass vol 8 (#8), Lucky Star vol 1 LE (#9), Byousoku 5 cm LE box (#17), the Bleach movie LE box (#21), Oofuri vol 2 LE (#22), Kanon vol 7 (#23), a Takemiya Keiko box (#24), the Terra e movie (#27), Gintama season 2 vol 2? (#30), Gedo Senki (#31), and a whole bunch of Code Geass and a friggin' Eva '07 Box and other stuff....

It must be because it's being released so damn late!

And welcome to AS.
__________________
Thanks for the fish
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 11:54   Link #169
leongsh
Daijoubu!
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Well, the point is that on this forum... things work differently, you're much less likely to find people who are likely to support the thing. Sorry if I sounded overzealous there, I usually don't take that stance myself because I don't have the ability to pay for things myself, but if I beg hard enough I can get a certain someone to help me order it...
Hey, wao, don't sweat it about being overzealous on trying to get people here to buy products to support the show. You're not. We should exhort people to support the shows they enjoy. I'm taking a hard look at the chances of this and other shows being snagged for the cheaper R1 release. Dennou Coil does have a good chance but I'm intrigued by the special edition - it's in my Amazon Japan shopping cart waiting to be pre-ordered
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 12:16   Link #170
Huw M
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Overzealous? Not at all Wao, your Denno Coil promotion is a very noble and much needed effort, especially when threads concerning generic harem anime have thrice the replies of this one - Denno coil is definitely a show which deserves a wider audience, its cool to see you're doing your all to pimp it, those interviews you translated were great

I'm exited by the prospect of the extra running time on the LE edition - anything that gives insight into the creative process would be awesome. I wonder how much influence Iso had over the actual animation of the show? Given that Takeshi Honda and Toshiyuki Inoue were the "animation chiefs" or however that credit is meant to be translated, and they also had big name Ghibli animators working alongside them...I'd also be interested to see an overview of their interaction and process. Also cool would be digital effects breakdowns of the cg and after effects work, I remember there were some great ones on the limited edition of Howl's moving castle. I'm sure there'll also be more standard extras like interviews with the voice actors about their characters, but given the previously unseen quality of this show I imagine sakuga-otaku can expect to see some cool stuff.

What kind of extras would other people like to see?
Huw M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 12:33   Link #171
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
I'll for sure get the DVDs whenever they are released in America but I don't see any point in getting even the limited Japanese edition when I won't get what half of the recorded extras would be about at all. Sadly, the chances for this kind of stuff to get translated in the R1 release is completely null.

Also... I lol'd at the type most of the fanarts Dennou Coil is getting are.

Spoiler for OH SNAP!:

Last edited by 7Th; 2007-06-09 at 12:48.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 16:19   Link #172
te2rx
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago area, IL
Age: 30
Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
heh, 5 was a cheap episode... at least for the first 2/3rds before the action at the end. I was wondering when we would see one, and what it would be like in Dennou Coil's case. But it's still one of those "the worst ep of ____ is still better than most anime", since the storyboarding is still interesting and it doesn't resort to lots of uninspired stock closeups and whatnot. Speaking of closeups there's that unexpected one of Isako sensuously gulping down ramuné (as Daichi gawks), all lovey dovey soft-filtered and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
OH SNAP
saved

as far as buying DVDs go, I try not to these days since we're at the transition point for the new "hd" formats. Buying a DVD feels like buying a VHS tape did five years ago. I'd buy a figure or something, but Dennou, like Noein, doesn't seem like a merchandise-driven show
but maybe they'll make something from those virtual pets.

Last edited by te2rx; 2007-06-09 at 16:33.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 17:20   Link #173
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Hey, wao, don't sweat it about being overzealous on trying to get people here to buy products to support the show. You're not. We should exhort people to support the shows they enjoy. I'm taking a hard look at the chances of this and other shows being snagged for the cheaper R1 release. Dennou Coil does have a good chance but I'm intrigued by the special edition - it's in my Amazon Japan shopping cart waiting to be pre-ordered

This is a Bandai Visual title. Cheap R1 release and BV USA don't go together.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 22:45   Link #174
leongsh
Daijoubu!
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
This is a Bandai Visual title. Cheap R1 release and BV USA don't go together.
It would still be cheaper than R2J after the discounts usually given by US online retailers. The MSRP for Bandai Visual discs for R1 and R2J may be quite close but the US online retailers can give up to 40% discount versus the best discount of 25% a Japanese online retailer can give. Trust me on this. I regularly buy R1 and R2J anime DVD releases with total purchased disc counts way past the number of days in a year...
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 04:51   Link #175
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by te2rx View Post
heh, 5 was a cheap episode... at least for the first 2/3rds before the action at the end. I was wondering when we would see one, and what it would be like in Dennou Coil's case. But it's still one of those "the worst ep of ____ is still better than most anime", since the storyboarding is still interesting and it doesn't resort to lots of uninspired stock closeups and whatnot...
I maybe biased, being a fanboy and all, but I don't agree with this at all. It was not a 'cheap' episode, nor was the quality any less than the previous episodes. The pacing was much less frenetic than the first four that's all. With not much opportunity for the showy animation we've seen before. I've seen enough cheap in my lifetime to know this isn't it.

Anyway ep 5 throws up a few potentially huge developments...

Spoiler for ep 5:
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 06:50   Link #176
BluWacky
尻の竜
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 30
I've not got anything to add really to what's already been said about episode 5, save some thoughts about Yasako's role as the main character, but I haven't actually made them coherent in my brain yet so they'll have to wait for another time...

I am slightly confused by how much the repairs etc. seem to be costing these kids. 15,000 yen should be a bit beyond the pockets of schoolchildren in order to keep repairing their equipment when Isako blows it up, shouldn't it? Yet Daichi in episode 4 seemed to have no problem paying the repair costs he was lumbered with. Has the yen been seriously devalued in Daikoku?
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 07:09   Link #177
wao
OK.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Fields of High Attus
Age: 25
I don't know if it has anything to do with how in Mega-baa's shop "615000 yen" = "615 yen" (or something like that), but I think they're making money off converting meta-bugs.

Spoiler for ep 5:
__________________
Thanks for the fish
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 11:35   Link #178
te2rx
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago area, IL
Age: 30
Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
I maybe biased, being a fanboy and all, but I don't agree with this at all. It was not a 'cheap' episode, nor was the quality any less than the previous episodes. The pacing was much less frenetic than the first four that's all. With not much opportunity for the showy animation we've seen before. I've seen enough cheap in my lifetime to know this isn't it.
yeah, now that I've gone back to check the other episodes, you're mostly right. My standards for this show are so ridiculously high. I still get the feeling that ep5 was trying to conserve though, even with the kids just walking and talking -- lots of lame pose-A-to-pose-B snapping with not a lot of finesse in between, lower-than-usual drawing counts during motion, etc. (except when things snap off at the end)

but you're right, it's not the dreaded "DR Movie" episode or anything. I wonder if/when the show will have one of those.

Last edited by te2rx; 2007-06-10 at 11:53.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 19:17   Link #179
kazune-kun
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I've only watched 3 episodes and its great, to say the least. The grandma looks so funny
kazune-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 23:04   Link #180
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by te2rx View Post
yeah, now that I've gone back to check the other episodes, you're mostly right. My standards for this show are so ridiculously high. I still get the feeling that ep5 was trying to conserve though, even with the kids just walking and talking -- lots of lame pose-A-to-pose-B snapping with not a lot of finesse in between, lower-than-usual drawing counts during motion, etc. (except when things snap off at the end)

but you're right, it's not the dreaded "DR Movie" episode or anything. I wonder if/when the show will have one of those.
But didn't the cyber pets and the cyber screens take a lot of animation to do? They both had that constant scanning look to them. Plus, the backgrounds were looking great imo.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mystery, science fiction

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.