AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2007-01-25, 10:34   Link #1
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Smile Forum Tidiness and Cleandiness.

Just wanted to ask something... it's been bugging me for a while.
Why are there multiple rule threads in forums. I just don't get it.

For example in the Fansubbed forum, what's the diffrence in content between Fansubs Forum Guidelines [Please Read Me First] thread and the Do NOT ask when the next episode will be released! thread.

Or for example in the Naruto forum the Naruto Forum Rules |Spoilers only in [Manga] threads!| and the Spoilers will lead to a BAN! [Read on] thread.
etcetera...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW can rules in forums just be marked with simple icons like for example and , instead of hard to read annoying to look at syntax, causing ugly clutter in stikies.

Just as an example of an alternative system, you could call all rule threads:
Rules.
...for the special cases just add a little tag to give people a short and sweet hint to make them read it, for example, for the Naruto forum:
Rules. [No Spoilers]
...and for license rules:
Licensed!

Just a suggestion
Old 2007-01-25, 11:29   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats
Once day we might well clean up the stickies in the various forums but please don't hold your breath while waiting.

As for why.... there are a number of different reasons, some I find obvious some not so obvious. As for explaining why, sorry but I'm not going to spend my time explaining all the reasons. It's not as if we have a moral obligation to explain every little aspect on the whys and wherefores on how these forums are run. It's not as if you are paying us to do a job here. If it bugs you, sorry but it's something you will have to live with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats
BTW can rules in forums just be marked with simple icons like for example and , instead of hard to read annoying to look at syntax, causing ugly clutter in stikies.
This again seems to suggest you and I are living on different planets. Since when does the icon mean Rules. Since when does mean Licensed. In fact I would love to see icons that immediately suggest those concepts to the majority of people as opposed to the "hard to read". "annoying to look at" and "causing ugly clutter" basic words of Rules and Licensed.

So as far as I can see, it's unlikely we will start using such icons to "identify" such threads.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 11:59   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It was just a suggestion xD
As for the choise in icons.. just a neutral simple example.
Old 2007-01-25, 13:50   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
It shouldn't even be a problem from the technical side...
Correction: There SHOULDN'T...
As in there is... well, more of a complication actually...

Ohh.. and xris is aginst it.
(that is: altering forum software in a any innocent way)
Old 2007-01-25, 14:42   Link #5
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Once day we might well clean up the stickies in the various forums but please don't hold your breath while waiting.

As for why.... there are a number of different reasons, some I find obvious some not so obvious. As for explaining why, sorry but I'm not going to spend my time explaining all the reasons. It's not as if we have a moral obligation to explain every little aspect on the whys and wherefores on how these forums are run. It's not as if you are paying us to do a job here. If it bugs you, sorry but it's something you will have to live with.

Cats' curiosities are endless and so are Cats' proddings and questions! Since I've squeezed out a bit more time, I'll attempt an answer to satisfy the curious. The answer might even convince Cats once and for all, that the Rule-makers do indeed put some thoughts behind them before sticking it in to a particular section of the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Just wanted to ask something... it's been bugging me for a while.

For example in the Fansubbed forum, what's the diffrence in content between Fansubs Forum Guidelines [Please Read Me First] thread and the Do NOT ask when the next episode will be released! thread.

Or for example in the Naruto forum the Naruto Forum Rules |Spoilers only in [Manga] threads!| and the Spoilers will lead to a BAN! [Read on] thread.
etcetera...
You are correct to observe that couple of the above rules superceded the general rule that are in place in those particular forums. The reason for that is to put more emphasis on a certain rule to deal with circumastances that arise often enough in a particular section of the forums. For example, Spoiler has been a constant problem in the Naruto section of the forum. The rules have always been there, but the problem still persists. Two probable reason for the problem are:

a) fans didn't read the rule;
b) fans don't care!

Hence, the birth of the BAN-rule! It attempts to draw attention to both of those categories of fans mentioned above, and give them a fair incentive why the fans shouldn't spoil.

The Do-Not-ask rule is created for the similar purpose, to prevent fans from relentlessly asking about when the next episode will be released (Relentlessflame has nothing to do with this example ), though it doesn't have any added incentive to follow the rule like the BAN-rule. While all of us do like to give the benefit of the doubt that every posters in this forum have read every rule there is, the moderators have to be practical when the visual evidence suggest otherwise. Those sub-rules are there to draw attention to a particular rule to address a persisting problem in a particular section of the forum, i.e. Spoilers in Naruto section.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 14:51   Link #6
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
I was hoping especially for a set of icons to replace those ugly [MANGA-only]...
They might look nice but unless you can demonstrate an icon that universally means the same as "Manga Only" it doesn't improve usability. This is, of course, assuming people remember to "tag" the thread with the correct image in the first place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Correction: There SHOULDN'T...
As in there is... well, more of a complication actually...
More misinformation or do you know something I don't? As far as I am aware adding icons to the list of possible thread/post images poses no technical problems.

Currently the issue is that we don't have an icon that we feel is suitably representative and we have yet to conceive of one that will be... making the change pointless. It is this that is the problem. Now, if someone were to provide a set of images that are suitable (and we trial them by running both tagging systems in parallel) we might get somewhere...
NightWish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 16:54   Link #7
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I can see absolutely no benefits to replacing a text label that clearly defines the rules of a thread (MANGA ONLY, NO SPOILERS, whatever.) Looking pretty has nothing to do with it, it's functionality that's important. Sure, if you can get functionality and pretty, that's fine, but if it's a choice of one or the other I'd prefer the one that does the job properly and doesn't cause more work for no reason.

Regardless of how much we might hope that everyone will read the rules, we'd be living in a total fantasy realm if we truly believed that it was going to happen. Lazy people, people who simply don't care about rules, new members who only want to post their thoughts on something and never visit again, utter internet n00bs who don't have much foruming experience, there are a lot of people who don't read rules, for whatever 'reason.'

Now, how many of these people that already fail to bother reading the rules would bother to try and find out what a particular icon meant next to a post title? At least with a text label clearly stating something that isn't allowed, people can actually immediately see the rule, even if they don't intend to abide by it.

And for the members, old and new, who do abide by the rules, regardless of whether they intend to stick around here or not, at least they have some clear indication before clicking into a thread of things they should or shouldn't do. An icon just confuses things, particularly since so many forums have a random set of icons for threads with no actual meaning, so people are more likely to simply ignore the icons anyway, thinking them meaningless.

Meh, anyway, typed more than I was intending there Either way, I see it as a pointless exercise.
Old 2007-01-25, 17:34   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
More misinformation or do you know something I don't? As far as I am aware adding icons to the list of possible thread/post images poses no technical problems.
I know it's only a matter of adding post icons in the post icon manager...
...oh never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Well, who doesn't tag the thread right gets banned... simple as that. Who once got banned won't forget to tag correctly the next time.
I second this... in the end it's the idiot who created the thread at fault, people shouldn't be forced to start to analyze weather or not some random ambiguous topic is a manga or anime discussion.

It's either marked as [Manga Only], marked as [Anime Only] by the creator or it's DELETED by the Mods. No need to soft delete em' it's not like threads can't be created back, correctly. That would be safer, simpler and more convinient for everyone.

With all these rules and separation I don't know why the admins are so against making 2 forums, like it can get any worse. And at least then lil' manga readers like me could go into anime episode threads...
Old 2007-01-25, 18:29   Link #9
LSD-25
Psychedelic

Quote:
I second this... in the end it's the idiot who created the thread at fault, people shouldn't be forced to start to analyze weather or not some random ambiguous topic is a manga or anime discussion.

It's either marked as [Manga Only], marked as [Anime Only] by the creator or it's DELETED by the Mods. No need to soft delete em' it's not like threads can't be created back, correctly. That would be safer, simpler and more convinient for everyone.
Everyone is a newbie at some point, if you were treated this way over every simple mistake I doubt you'd be here today. Banning someone over every little infraction will cause all sorts of problems for the moderators here. Every time you take action on a user you'll end up hearing about it sooner or later. Bans just piss people off. It's better to explain the rules to them when they are broken.

Repeat offenders are excused of course, but even then I'd look into restricting their ability to post (a "time-out") instead of an out right ban.

As for the icon debate I'd rather see things left as they are.
LSD-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 22:24   Link #10
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSD-25 View Post
As for the icon debate I'd rather see things left as they are.
I'd agree, but I don't think people care about the post icons. I went away from these forums for about a year, and I come back to find that post icons that are red don't mean that a post is unread and "hot" but that it's just "hot" with no new topics. And for a few days, I thought that the forum was experiencing a glitch whereby read posts weren't being marked as read.

It's a random ramble from someone who didn't appreciate that change, but the point is that some forum changes have a greater bearing on things than others.
Old 2007-01-26, 00:20   Link #11
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSD-25 View Post
Everyone is a newbie at some point, if you were treated this way over every simple mistake I doubt you'd be here today. Banning someone over every little infraction will cause all sorts of problems for the moderators here. Every time you take action on a user you'll end up hearing about it sooner or later. Bans just piss people off. It's better to explain the rules to them when they are broken.
I never said anything about bans
I just said threads that don't meat the rules should get deleted on sight.
Old 2007-01-26, 02:40   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Ahh but we are on a forum... the presumption is that if you bother to create a topic it's not a far stretch for you to bother to write 5 words or so.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
One thing about this spoiler thing, why the so specialy strict rules for the Naruto forum, I read threads for other series where a lil' spoiler pops up unmarked and I don't see what the problem is... it's not like people are gona die, and if they don't want to get seriously spoiled then they should look away after they see the first signs of one.
It's a little too much babysitting IMO...
Old 2007-01-26, 04:20   Link #13
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I went away from these forums for about a year, and I come back to find that post icons that are red don't mean that a post is unread and "hot" ...
Oh balls. That is a different set of icons ... and what you are describing is a bug I thought I had fixed. I guess it slipped my mind and everyone just got used to the change... oops.

I need to send a set of fixed image to mb81 to upload (these icons can't be changed like the post icons being discussed in this thread can), it is where as it should be like the default (scroll to the bottom).

Last edited by NightWish; 2007-01-26 at 15:31. Reason: Oops again: hotlinked image.
NightWish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 10:47   Link #14
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
Quote:
I think Icons are much clearer, than any textual representation, once they are established.
That's the whole problem; they need to be established, whereas text doesn't.

It's less time spent for members looking at title trying to figure out what the thread contains when text is present. Even if icons get established, it will still take people a slight bit longer to figure out what icon is next to a thread. There should be no doubts when the title clearly shows what the thread contains.
Old 2007-01-26, 11:12   Link #15
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Or don't they use special signs for road traffic in your country?
Not a good comparison there in the slightest. Road signs work precisely because people pay money to learn how to drive and therefore have to spend time and effort memorizing the road signs if they want any chance of passing. There are no such tests required for posting to a forum (though a certain level of intelligence test to use the internet might not be a bad idea heh.)

Quote:
And talking about work: It's much more work, to add a tag to the title, than it is to select an icon for the post.
I was talking about work in respect to the mods that have to clean up after bad posts, not more work for the oh-so-poor little individual who can't be bothered to check forum rules or whatever.

Quote:
You should agree with me, because an Icon is much more functional and less work than a text-tag.
The only reason I'd agree is if the icons were actually just images with text labels something like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxon
There should be no doubts when the title clearly shows what the thread contains.
Yups. I guess my idea of 'icons' with text labels rather than obscure pictures is probably the best way to go if this were to be implemented, since it takes the good points of both arguments and combines them, hopefully without the bad points

Last edited by Radiosity; 2007-01-28 at 16:56.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 11:55   Link #16
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
What if someone doesn't know what the word "spoiler" means?
I'm not really understanding your reasoning here. If a thread has [NO SPOILERS!] or [SPOILERS WILL BE BANNED] or whatever in the thread title, then even if you don't know what a spoiler is, surely you'd be interested in finding out why this magical word can lead to an insta-ban or infraction points or warnings or whatever.

Whereas, a blinking red light would likely be ignored as an annoying and random post icon with no meaning.

Quote:
Just take a look at the buttons on top of the answer-post-field. Is there written "image"? No you have a little Icon representing an image. Is there written "bold"? No, there is just an icon with a bold letter. And it works for everybody.
This is something you'd find on basically any forum software anywhere you go, it's universal. We're talking about a specific forum that caters to a specific medium; Anime and Manga. Someone coming here from a gaming forum after they randomly caught an anime episode and found it interesting isn't likely to understand what these random images all mean next to various posts, because they're not universal. Text eliminates that.

Quote:
BTW: A title is a Title. It's just not meant for summaries and warnings about the content.
And where is it written that titles can't be descriptive? There's no law stating that titles can't have spoiler warnings, or say [Manga Only] etc.. It's up to the AS staff how they want to run things.

End note: Something an increasing number of people in the world seem to be forgetting is that language and in particular text is there to make communication with each other both possible, and easier. Replacing easily understood and legible text labels with obscure icons completely defeats this simple idea.
Old 2007-01-26, 12:26   Link #17
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
Quote:
Text does too.
What if someone doesn't know what the word "spoiler" means? When I started to use the internet (which is more than a decade ago) I didn't know what this word means. A lot of noobs probably don't know, because they never heard it before.
Eh? It's easy to deduce a general meaning from things like "spoiler". I had pretty much got the definition just by looking at the word. Besides, most newbies usually ask what things mean.
Quote:
However everyone can understand images. Everyone will associate a red blinking light (for example) with something, that needs to be treated with special care.
Everyone could associate a book with manga.
Text is self explanatory. Images are not unless they are accompanied by text. Images can only convey importance or a vague context at the most. They don't give any indication of the content. What does that blinking light mean? Is the thread something to do with rules? Does it contain spoilers? Is it image heavy?
Quote:
Just take a look at the buttons on top of the answer-post-field. Is there written "image"? No you have a little Icon representing an image. Is there written "bold"? No, there is just an icon with a bold letter. And it works for everybody.
You seem to have missed the point that the vast majority don't even bother with icons. Do you look at every single icon for every single thread you read? No? Didn't think so.
Old 2007-01-26, 13:51   Link #18
LSD-25
Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Oh balls. That is a different set of icons ... and what you are describing is a bug I thought I had fixed. I guess it slipped my mind and everyone just got used to the change... oops.

I need to send a set of fixed image to mb81 to upload (these icons can't be changed like the post icons being discussed in this thread can), it is where as it should be like the default (scroll to the bottom).
You just gave me an idea for a hack I should have coded a long long time ago.

/me adds it to the to-do list after his extended template modification.

Quote:
I never said anything about bans
I just said threads that don't meat the rules should get deleted on sight.
I quoted the wrong post, my fault.

Last edited by NightWish; 2007-01-26 at 15:32. Reason: Removed hot-linked image from quote ^^;
Old 2007-01-26, 17:40   Link #19
LSD-25
Psychedelic

Quote:
That's wrong!
Images are self-explanatory! While to understand the text, you have to know the vocabulary and be able to read (though probably the latter part can be taken for granted for users of the internet). Just go outside and take a look at the world. There are much more icons used on signs, than there is text. (Especially in areas, where a lot of different nationalities are around (like this forum))

Besides even if you have to learn what an icon means, it doesn't even take more than a few minutes to do so.
Images can be self-explanatory but this is not always the case and I think 'icons' are a good example of them not working well on their own. The problem lies with the fact that you only have so much space to work with. What does a spoiler look like anyway? How does one know an icon represents a thread with 'no spoilers' if they do not know what a spoiler is in the first place?

Even with your sign example we see text everywhere, because important signs often have text written on them. Lets take a stop sign as an example; It's a very important sign, and I know what it means when I see one without having to read 'Stop'. I was not born with that ability though, I had to train my mind to associate that sign with the word stop.

My point is this; If a set of icons were designed to 'tag' these threads every member here is going to have to learn what they mean. New members are going to have to learn this as well, and if they do not understand the underlying concepts of them (going back to my 'what is a spoiler' example) we're just going to be stuck in the same situation we are now. The only change will be the fact that we have 'pretty' images instead of clear and descriptive text.

Quote:
Mostly... However the point is: As until now there wasn't even a special reason to look at it, since there is no meaning associated with it at the moment and the default icons doesn't even look interesting in the first place. If they were bound to a special meaning, everyone would pay attention to it.
That feature was designed ages ago (in internet time) to convey emotional meaning and/or draw attention to important threads. As you can see it mostly goes ignored and the only reason you see it everywhere is because it became a 'standard feature' in just about every bbs script at the end of the late 90's.
Old 2007-01-26, 21:07   Link #20
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Oh, good to know. I keep marking the forum read out of habit since I see colors. It'll be nice again, once it's fixed. Humans are creatures of habit, after all; it's also nice to see that you're using avatars from the same series (same character, even) back from when you first joined the forum, if I remember it right