AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-09-28, 19:44   Link #61
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
It'd be nice if they could make media/burners that can make discs like factories do. ...

If you've got room in your house and plenty of money for a machine from the factory, go for it!

| | |
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 23:31   Link #62
zalem

I watch and delete. If I REALLY like a show (and I have to like it ALOT...seriously I only have 2-3 series like this), then I'll burn it to CD. But when the official DVDs come out in boxsets I do get those and get rid of the CDs.
Old 2008-09-29, 00:09   Link #63
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I like to watch series over and over again, so I watch them and keep them on my external hard drive. I keep my absolute favorites on my computer for easy access.
Old 2008-09-29, 05:02   Link #64
Slice of Life
eyewitness

When I watch it till the end I keep it. When I buy the DVDs I still don't delete it. When I drop a series I delete the files expect one that goes to the graveyard of horrors, preferably the worst episode. And if I suddenly feel tempted to download the batch after a year or so then watching a small part of that episode I kept normally helps me to come to my senses again.
Old 2008-09-29, 22:58   Link #65
Rubylight

I usually watch and delete, with something burning them on CD (as a data CD, don't have a DVD burner).
Rubylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-29, 23:05   Link #66
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Thats my anime external HDD. (frei is german for free) Seems like I have to buy a new one soon :3

I save everything I download there, one folder for each series nicely sorted.
Old 2008-09-30, 01:44   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
When I watch it till the end I keep it. When I buy the DVDs I still don't delete it. When I drop a series I delete the files expect one that goes to the graveyard of horrors, preferably the worst episode. And if I suddenly feel tempted to download the batch after a year or so then watching a small part of that episode I kept normally helps me to come to my senses again.
(dies laughing) ... the Graveyard of Horrors. That is a GREAT idea...
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 02:08   Link #68
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

In four years time, people will read these most recent posts about 500TB/GB externals and laugh. Just like I'm laughing at those posts made in 2004 where people were burning anime onto CD-R and DVDs were a luxury. I remember those days... so many memories.

To answer the question, harddrives have just become so ridiculously cheap that there's no real point to going through the effort of burning each and every series, IMO. A typical 26 ep anime will use just a bit over 1 disc, but you can fit close to a hundred series on a 500GB harddrive. The convenience basically offsets the cost. I burnt religiously until a couple of years ago, and I have multiple folders worth of DVDs of fansubs. But now it's just, "meh", I'll just whack it on my 500GB external harddrive used specifically for archiving. I save everything, which, when I think about it, is pretty wasteful since I only usually tend to rewatch series when I buy the DVDs. I guess it's just comforting to know that the series is at my fingertips if the urge to watch it again ever comes over me.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 03:57   Link #69
emotionless_teenage
mr. nice guy

i will keep it and burn it into DVD,even though the stury is a crap(like green green).
i just couldn't delete the anime,considering the sweat and gore downloading it
emotionless_teenage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 09:47   Link #70
silencer.001
In a mobile suit behind u

I watch and then store onto DVD's, onto my 3rd 200 capacity CD case right now, and when those babies are full, they weigh as much as my PC ~_~
Old 2008-09-30, 10:05   Link #71
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Enjoy my OCPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
(dies laughing) ... the Graveyard of Horrors. That is a GREAT idea...
The folder is named simply "Junk"

The way I organize my anime has become quite baroque over time.

My anime HDs contain 5 folders. New (name for historical reasons) it the trove of unwatched treasures; it contains complete batches of yet unwatched series. Yet unwatched movies or 1-2 ep. OVAs go to one big folder Assorted, current shows also go there at first. Once I'm reasonably sure I won't drop them I move them to their own subfolder in Ongoing otherwise one episode goes to Junk, as explained above. Once the show has been fully subbed (sometimes longer if there is hope for a better sub to come around) its folder goes to Watched or to New in the rare cases where I've collected the show but didn't follow it. In Watched the files are renamed according to whatever anidb considers the official name, md5sums are added if I haven't done that already, and also group information. Like this:

Code:
# 1-8 Dukes of Drama, 9-12 Fainting Fangirlz
Flashy Engrish: The Repray_01.mkv
Flashy Engrish: The Repray_02.mkv
[...]
Flashy Engrish: The Repray_12.mkv
md5sums
Well, beat that.

Backups? Of course.
Old 2008-09-30, 15:15   Link #72
xia

I only have a few series that i've kept on my external hard drive. I usually just delete it and redownload it when I feel the urge to see it again.

Thanks vandakiara for the sig!
Currently watching
On deck for 08/09: Claymore, Monster, Paradise Kiss,
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 21:15   Link #73
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
The folder is named simply "Junk"

The way I organize my anime has become quite baroque over time.

My anime HDs contain 5 folders. New (name for historical reasons) it the trove of unwatched treasures; it contains complete batches of yet unwatched series. Yet unwatched movies or 1-2 ep. OVAs go to one big folder Assorted, current shows also go there at first. Once I'm reasonably sure I won't drop them I move them to their own subfolder in Ongoing otherwise one episode goes to Junk, as explained above. Once the show has been fully subbed (sometimes longer if there is hope for a better sub to come around) its folder goes to Watched or to New in the rare cases where I've collected the show but didn't follow it. In Watched the files are renamed according to whatever anidb considers the official name, md5sums are added if I haven't done that already, and also group information. Like this:

Code:
# 1-8 Dukes of Drama, 9-12 Fainting Fangirlz
Flashy Engrish: The Repray_01.mkv
Flashy Engrish: The Repray_02.mkv
[...]
Flashy Engrish: The Repray_12.mkv
md5sums
Well, beat that.

Backups? Of course.
Hehe, that graveyard idea is pretty funny. I think I may steal that idea, or at least a variation of it. Maybe a per-episode rating system, that'd be cool. Track which eps are bombs and which are good.

I used to store my stuff in a similar fashion, but I wanted a way to track where I was in each series so I wrote a website to manage everything and launch the videos. Stores synopsis, image thumbnail, personal rating, genres, then lists the eps / ep names and if I've watched them. It also interfaces with Symantec Backup Exec to create tape jobs automatically when I need to backup something or track down what tape a file is on to restore. It has a front page to let me know what the 10 most recent watched eps are (you click the series title and it slides open to show the eps) then when you drill down to a series it shows the rest of the info.

Way more info than required I'm sure, but I'm proud of it
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 21:34   Link #74
seemmeriast

I usually watch and delete, but sometimes burn to CD only if it's really good.
seemmeriast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 22:06   Link #75
LustfulEnvy
Casanova Extraordinaire
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to LustfulEnvy Send a message via MSN to LustfulEnvy
I watch and keep for future rewatchs. If an episodes good I convert'em and keep'em in my ipod video for anime on the go. I have a burner but I have no clue how to use it since only my Dad uses it.
Old 2008-10-01, 15:32   Link #76
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
I watch and keep the episodes until the series is over. Put them into a folder and put a nice name and then move it over to my external hd and just keep them there over the years. Who knows I might want to rewatch series again just for the sake of watching them, which I have been doing with Kenshin lately but been lazy
Old 2008-10-02, 14:16   Link #77
Scavenger
スカルリーダー

Send a message via MSN to Scavenger
I delete them and if I like the anime I simply buy it. Lucky for me most anime are pretty bad these days so I don't have to buy much DVD's.
Scavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 15:57   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think I like Slice's organization better than mine (Complete, In Progess, Miscellaneous).

I suspect a mutant external hard drive or two is in my near future as well. I do still like cutting them to DVD data disks.... but I also still know how to use my slide rule ;P

How many people have eSata connections on their Mobo? Guess I need to see about those -- I assume its just a SATA port cabled over to a case connector?
EDIT: Hmm, most of the ones I see so far are all USB2.0 connected .... edit2: oh, found some eSATA enclosures but not clear to me what product I'd add to the computer to permit eSATA connection yet. muddle muddle muddle

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-02 at 16:08.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 16:12   Link #79
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
If I spend the time to download them, I'm sure as hell going to burn them to CD and keep them...I'd burn them to DVD format if I could, but that's why my PS3 can playback video media formats...

...and then buy the DVDs if I liked them enough and they're available in the US...

'Course now I don't need to spend all that effort, when much of I watch can now be found on MySpace Videos and Youtube...Oorah!
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 06:12   Link #80
LazyCanuck
I do nothing all the time

i never rewatch anything..ever...so once i am done with a series i delete all the files and move on to something else