AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2008-11-07, 22:04   Link #1001
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Yoko's really the only character who provides fanservice...

It's a mecha show.
Ya and it's usually just Boota (this little pig like creature jumping into her boobs). and that only happens like....3 times.

there is one hot springs episode but it's not really THAT bad.
especially compared to everything else out there
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 22:06   Link #1002
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowPL View Post
Hi guys Im new to the forums. I still haven't seen TTGL (i know i know )
but some messages and posts about it scared me off I guess. See Im not a fan of "uber fan-service shows"
and the way people are talking make it seem like thats ALL this show is. Like i've seen pictures and stuff and it looks...not so bad?
so whats all the hype about the fan-service? Im sure that one big-breasted girl (i think her name is Yoko has plenty of scenes showing her "assets" but Im used to normal fan-service in anime, but I dont like ecchi stuff or when it's Everywhere....u know what I mean)

anyways? how bad is it? or is it all just a bunch of hype (i know how it can be, people see a hot char with big assets and their like ZOMG FANSERVICE EXPLOSION) but I was just curious before I delve into this series.

thanx!
This show has more mecha fanservice than female fanservice. In fact the only true female fanservice comes in just Yoko. There's one hot springs episode and that episode is the only episode with that much women.

This show is extremely biased against the girls, they are all sorts of unfortunate. This is an extremely manly show, infact brotherhood is the theme and becoming a man is how it progresses.

Then you ask why is there a girl just in there for fan service?

Answer is that this is GAINAX, the one show that started it all. GAINAX was the first studio to have bouncing boobs in anime as fanservice in all history.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 22:14   Link #1003
ShadowPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
This show has more mecha fanservice than female fanservice. In fact the only true female fanservice comes in just Yoko. There's one hot springs episode and that episode is the only episode with that much women.

This show is extremely biased against the girls, they are all sorts of unfortunate. This is an extremely manly show, infact brotherhood is the theme and becoming a man is how it progresses.

Then you ask why is there a girl just in there for fan service?

Answer is that this is GAINAX, the one show that started it all. GAINAX was the first studio to have bouncing boobs in anime as fanservice in all history.
So it's really not as "overdone" i suppose as people are saying.
they make it sound like her breasts are popping out every 5 seconds
ShadowPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 22:38   Link #1004
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowPL View Post
So it's really not as "overdone" i suppose as people are saying.
they make it sound like her breasts are popping out every 5 seconds
Well, for 95% of the show she's in bikini or something skimpy, that's her character design anyway lol

And GAINAX take their famous GAINAX bounce very seriously, so Yoko being the latest bearer of the bounce has to be very bouncy.

Well, she's the only one showing fanservice, so its nothing much to worry. Other ladies do get a few screens of bounce but they appear very little compared to the men.

Even the female lead herself appeared only one third through the story.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 23:55   Link #1005
ShadowPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Well, for 95% of the show she's in bikini or something skimpy, that's her character design anyway lol

And GAINAX take their famous GAINAX bounce very seriously, so Yoko being the latest bearer of the bounce has to be very bouncy.

Well, she's the only one showing fanservice, so its nothing much to worry. Other ladies do get a few screens of bounce but they appear very little compared to the men.

Even the female lead herself appeared only one third through the story.
I figured it was just people going TTGL crazy, im sure it's a good show, but I doubted the "fan-service" levels people were putting on. which is good for me
ShadowPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 00:25   Link #1006
ChibiToon

Quote:
Originally Posted by magirific View Post
Thanks for the reply! I probally shoulda proof read my post but eh oh well, good thing you got the picture anyway.
You're welcome! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by magirific View Post
Anyway i'd like to know when will the movie that's currently out be dubbed/subbed? And when it is dubbed/subbed will it be available for buying or what? Also I heard the movie is like 24 mins long, is this true? Cause if it is then that's a turn off lol.
Not sure.... Probably will be a few months yet before the DVD is released. Only then will we even start to see fansubs coming out.

Um.... I can't remember how long the movie is, but it definitely is NOT 24 minutes. I think it is.... two hours? I think...? o.o

CT
ChibiToon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 02:25   Link #1007
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiToon View Post
You're welcome! ^_^

Not sure.... Probably will be a few months yet before the DVD is released. Only then will we even start to see fansubs coming out.

Um.... I can't remember how long the movie is, but it definitely is NOT 24 minutes. I think it is.... two hours? I think...? o.o

CT
How is the movie btw? good bad?
i hear yoko has a "clothing malfunction" but her hair still covers "it" lol
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 14:08   Link #1008
ChibiToon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
How is the movie btw? good bad?
i hear yoko has a "clothing malfunction" but her hair still covers "it" lol
I've heard differents opinions on it... both good and bad. I guess it is up to the viewer really...

One such "review" that I have often read, however, was that the beginning felt very rushed and the ending was epic. lol

Spoiler for Movie Scene:

CT
ChibiToon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 14:17   Link #1009
bjnelson19705

So if FLCL was a spin off of Gurren Lagann, then Atomsk would have been a spiral warrior or a former Anti-Spiral who did not agree with their look on spiral energy. And Atomsk would like to steal solar systems which is why he is called a space pirate. If anybody thinks that, let me know.
bjnelson19705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 17:04   Link #1010
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

on a completely different note;

please tell me I'm not the absolute LAST person on earth to notice that the 4 general's names correspond to DNA. A'la Lord Genome, helix king ect... I only noticed it today whilst doing some biology work at school
Old 2008-11-25, 23:07   Link #1011
longreach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaziek View Post
on a completely different note;

please tell me I'm not the absolute LAST person on earth to notice that the 4 general's names correspond to DNA. A'la Lord Genome, helix king ect... I only noticed it today whilst doing some biology work at school
no, your not. in wikipedia it says so, along with imdb.
longreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 03:56   Link #1012
Ottocycle

Can't seem to find any post regarding this around here. And this thread seems to be the best place to put this too.
Well, enjoy the out-of-context comedy. I loved it to bits. Since when was Itou Shizuka this good at doing kids?!
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 22:08   Link #1013
Renan

I love that so much. Every time I watch it I laugh. Go Viral!
Renan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 14:27   Link #1014
Solafighter
Hige

These guys are real experts in their business. Respect!
Old 2009-04-01, 23:20   Link #1015
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Viral's voice actor does manly work.
pinoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 21:29   Link #1016
zerome

a quick question folks, has anyone figured out the point of the prologue of the series?
zerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 22:29   Link #1017
Renan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerome View Post
a quick question folks, has anyone figured out the point of the prologue of the series?
Alternate ending. Gainax was basically going with the flow of things with TTGL.
Renan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 11:33   Link #1018
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I just watch Gurren-Lagann on Animax-Asia and i was little disappointed since they didn't use the Bandai English dub but Animax Asia own English dub team. I don't know why but i bet it was to tone down the potty language(I never seen the Bandai English dub so i'm just assuming) and they change "Who the hell do you think i am?" to "Who do you think i am?".

It was a nice anime to watch but i still think this anime is just too silly for my taste though.
Old 2009-05-26, 08:26   Link #1019
Simonize

My real name is Simon, so I guess that makes me awesome? Other then that.. This is the best anime I have ever seen and I donīt think anything will beat it in the near future.

It just delivers too much epicness, awesomeness and manliness to ever be overcome
Simonize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 15:43   Link #1020
Rayneing
Trombe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonize View Post
This is the best anime I have ever seen and I donīt think anything will beat it in the near future.

It just delivers too much epicness, awesomeness and manliness to ever be overcome
I think you should check out some other Super Robot shows. After all, Gurren Lagann was a homage to all of them, from the 70s all the way to the modern day. If you liked Gurren Lagann, you'll definitely love them. Getter Robo was one of its main inspirations, with the Getter Rays definitely influencing the concept of Spiral Energy. The currently airing Shin Mazinger is also good, being a reimagining of the classic Super Robot show that jump-started the genre.