AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

Old 2008-01-25, 11:23   Link #221
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
And it seems with the better visual novels. The translators feel like ninja disapearing for a long period time right before completion.
that or they pull the leaf-translation-group-internet-drama-kind-of-thing

anyway, i wanted to contribute to some of the untranslated seen, can i just like edit some of that or there are some kind of section and each section has its own translator?
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 11:38   Link #222
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, the only remaining seen's are 6800-6803. 6800 is almost done by v7, 6803 is quite short and 6801 is going at a nice pace thanks to Todkapuz. If you want to help with translation you could contact the people in charge of 6802, but still I think helping with translation proofing previous seen's is also something that will need to be done sooner or later
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 12:09   Link #223
velocity7

Translation proofing is just as high a priority as translation at the moment; any mistranslations found should be hunted down like dogs.
Old 2008-01-25, 12:37   Link #224
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Please enlighten me.
Old 2008-01-25, 12:46   Link #225
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaR32 View Post

Please enlighten me.
they are the fan translation that do to heart 2 PS2 version translation

http://toheart2.proboards59.com/index.cgi?board=ann

basically they decided to act like NNL, but unlike NNL that still giving out the patch to those who can give they some kind of proof that they purchased the original wind, this one fan translation group decided to un-release (well lets just say they claim that they have finished everything but didn't want to release it to public) and some even say that it was a hoax (the whole translation thing), in one board even one of NNL crew comment about this how it differ from NNL's action in the past

one of the main reason they "withdraw" their translation patch is because of those flamer in their forum that keep on demanding the game release.. and they retaliate by doing that un-release thing.. which well kinda spark some internet drama

@velo:
translation proofing eh, alright i'll see what i can do, *goes reading the translated seen file
Old 2008-01-25, 14:18   Link #226
rg4619

Quote:
and some even say that it was a hoax (the whole translation thing)
Yeah, the thing about the To Heart 2 translation is that there's no evidence that it exists. Unlike the Wind beta, not one person has said that they've acquired it, including those involved with eroge translations (the team claims to have released the patch to respected members of those communities. They also said that people with the patch could distribute it to friends). Most likely, the announcement was just a parting shot at people who bothered the team.

Incidentally, the issues regarding Shuffle! are possibly linked to fan/translator relationships. We know that the project leader (who disappeared long ago) was disgusted with fans during the Wind/NNL debacle.

Quote:
unlike NNL that still giving out the patch to those who can give they some kind of proof that they purchased the original wind
No, anyone can download the Wind patch.

In fact, NNL isn't concerned with piracy now that the game is out of print (although they still urge players to support the product by buying the cheap PS2 version).
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 14:37   Link #227
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Please, I would like to remind you this is the Translation Project thread for CLANNAD, and it isn't destined to be a drama corner of past translation project whatsoever.

Please stick with the topic of the thread.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 01:43   Link #228
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

As for myself, I had a feeling that something would happen at work to kill my good-pace.. oh well... just over 10% left on my first pass of 6801... sadly have to go in to work again tomorrow...

But yeah, over all translation checking would be helpful.. there is a number of lines that I read, and i know ithas to be saying something else... but cant find it.
Old 2008-01-27, 03:28   Link #229
Komori
D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Hm... official build... Yeah, I was kind of impatient and got the unofficial one. Since it doesn't really harm my game (Just rename SEEN.TXT to SEEN01.TXT and then move SEEN.TXT into the game folder), I figured I'd use it.
I wonder when the official build is going to come out. Since I don't know how long editing will take, I have no guesses. . I'm guessing one stage at a time.
If you're an editor (you have to be confirmed with v7 or something I think, not entirely sure), you can get an official build which has all of the styling, etc. I HIGHLY recommend getting it if you're an editor and to not use the unofficial builds, which crashes, has sloppy hacks, isn't as pretty, isn't up to date, and includes the voice patches. But don't bug v7 for it if you're just interested in playing it without editing or I'll kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Hm... Maybe that SEEN is a dependant SEEN. Like, does it seem like every 70 lines he suddenly starts to say that again with no real connection to the lines before it, or does it seem like he is just repeating himself?
Probably part of another choice. The .ke files tell which line to go for a certain option and is not noted at all in the script.
Komori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 03:57   Link #230
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

6800 4224 Lines Left (haven't been keeping track of V's rate)
6801 109 lines left (one more night for me plus a little to clean it up and make it usable in a build)
6802 3143 lines left (another month at my rate)
6803 2 lines left

Pretty amazing, after just over a year only 7478 lines left. Hmm.. anyone bothered to determine how many lines total there were in the game? just out of curiosity sake?
Old 2008-01-27, 04:34   Link #231
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

I heard 65k or so, might be off though.

I could see 6800 being finished maybe mid Feb.
Old 2008-01-27, 08:17   Link #232
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post

At the present rate of you going at about 66 lines a day, as well as V7 going 66 lines a day, that is about 132 lines a day. That's about 40 days to complete the SEEN.
Unless somebody increases their speed, decreases their speed, or if another translator hops on that SEEN.

If things continue like this, I'm looking forward to March, which would then be the end of the Translation phase.
Old 2008-01-27, 08:23   Link #233
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Yeah, guess you're right :P

I've got alot of work for the next 2 weeks as well =/
Old 2008-01-27, 08:44   Link #234
dgreater1
Misuzu & Kotomi Protector

Quote:

100,000+ lines actually... but I think it's around 105k, minus 5-10% repeatition of lines (that is, if you'll manage to remember those consistent lines).

I made this a year ago, CLANNAD Total Lines (not exact but 99% close)

Good thing it's still rotting in the site...
DGreater1's Blog: A World made by a simple thought
dgreater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 08:53   Link #235
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

About 100k...

Lord of the Rings, including the Trilogy, The Hobbit, and the Silmarillion, is apparently 3.6 million words.

Is Clannad actually unusually long compared to other Visual Novels?

It was the first, and probably last one I'll play (don't get me wrong, I loved it, just probably wouldn't do it again) :P
Old 2008-01-27, 09:04   Link #236
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
Yeah, the thing about the To Heart 2 translation is that there's no evidence that it exists. Unlike the Wind beta, not one person has said that they've acquired it, including those involved with eroge translations (the team claims to have released the patch to respected members of those communities. They also said that people with the patch could distribute it to friends). Most likely, the announcement was just a parting shot at people who bothered the team.

Incidentally, the issues regarding Shuffle! are possibly linked to fan/translator relationships. We know that the project leader (who disappeared long ago) was disgusted with fans during the Wind/NNL debacle.

No, anyone can download the Wind patch.

In fact, NNL isn't concerned with piracy now that the game is out of print (although they still urge players to support the product by buying the cheap PS2 version).
off topic to clear misunderstanding

mate i said that thing about NNL, just in contrast as what that leaf do, at first though nnl didn't exactly release it as easy at it is now (need all those proof and stuff)--> thus resulting in the early NNL drama, and later they did release it so anyone can download it(without all the original proof of purchasing) unlike that leaf translation team, and yes i got the patch when they finally decided to release it to public thats why i even defend NNL's name when someone said bad things about them.

okay back to translation, proofreading, can i straightly change what i think is not that good to read? or i should submit some letter regarding of my choice of words?
Old 2008-01-27, 09:14   Link #237
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

You can probably change it if you really think yours is much better, but if you do, leave the original line as a comment underneath.
Old 2008-01-27, 09:29   Link #238
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
About 100k...

Lord of the Rings, including the Trilogy, The Hobbit, and the Silmarillion, is apparently 3.6 million words.

Is Clannad actually unusually long compared to other Visual Novels?

It was the first, and probably last one I'll play (don't get me wrong, I loved it, just probably wouldn't do it again) :P
Well, at 100,000 lines, each line would need to be 36 words long to math the length of the Lord of the Rings. However, lines such as "Um..." or "I see." really drive down the word count.

If you want a comparison, I'd look more into plays. Shakespeare's "Hamlet" was 6,051 lines long. A midsummer night's dream was 3,121 lines long. So, averaging about 4,000 lines a play, Clannad is the equivalent of 25 shakespeare plays.

Each line in Shakespeare is about 5 words long. So, Clannad would be about 500,000 words long total. War and Peace is 560,000 words long.

Also: Are you sure it is 3.6 million? I've been looking online, and I'm getting like 300-500 thousand. You figure, The trilogy is 1,000 pages, and the Hobbit plus the Silmarillion is about 600, that is 1600 pages. It would need 2,000 words per page if it were to be 3.6 million words. I use 250 words as a base for my page counts. . Also, 3.6 million would mean that LOTR is 6 times longer than War and Peace.

Last edited by Kristen; 2008-01-27 at 09:40.
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 10:03   Link #239
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

I got mine from an answers.com page, which isn't exactly accurate :P

I coulda sworn it was longer than that, though it's been a long time since I've read it :P

Regarding the Shakespeare plays though, if I recall correctly, there's quite a few really long lines in there, like mini-poem length lines, contrasting against some of Clannad's one word lines.

Your estimate seems alot more sensible, but LotR still felt alot longer o.o
Old 2008-01-27, 11:23   Link #240
Aetheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreater1 View Post
100,000+ lines actually... but I think it's around 105k, minus 5-10% repeatition of lines (that is, if you'll manage to remember those consistent lines).

I made this a year ago, CLANNAD Total Lines (not exact but 99% close)

Good thing it's still rotting in the site...
Your chart has a few errors in it, but still manages to come out to about the right number of lines.

Also, time for fun facts about CLANNAD.

CLANNAD has 102375 total lines.
This included 35471 narrated lines and 66904 spoken lines.
CLANNAD has 24195 repeated lines. (Note: this counts only the text of the line, who said it/ if it was said by the narrator does not matter)

The line repeated most often?
"………", 2471 times.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands. Have to do something to drive away the boredom of editing thousands of lines of text. Besides, knowing which lines are duplicates might help when checking for consistency later.
Aetheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, game patch, key, pc game, translation