AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2008-01-29, 08:13   Link #81
Dorfl

Cross Game, you mean? I loooooooove Cross Game. Didn't like Touch much, hated Katsu, H2 was so so, but Cross Game has been fun so far. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!
Old 2008-01-29, 08:32   Link #82
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

I liked most of Adachi's works. Cross game I like a lot. Im rooting for both girls. That's a new one for me. =o

Back on topic. Hmm bad manga? I disliked Initial D. Can't understand what's so good about it. :| The main character is boring. So are the races themself too. And it repeats the same thing over and over.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 08:49   Link #83
X10A_Freedom

I haven't really come across a manga I really "hate" as if something turns me off when I first pick it up, I don't follow through. What happens more often is the manga losing its shine as it goes on.

Bleach became rather bland after Rukia got rescued.
Initial D lost its shine after volume 10.

I personally didn't mind the ending of Ichigo 100%. I believe in an (unrealistic) harem, the game changes all the time since you're playing with emotions, not fixed logic.
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 11:14   Link #84
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
I agree with Dorfl.

Out of the Adachi mangas i've read. Cross Game feels the most complete. Most of his manga has some character development problems.

E.g.

Katsu! = The news reporter girl got shafted after that "date". The childhood friend of the main girl got shafted too after losing to erm.. who was that again? And the boxer who killed the crows, I mean wtf was he in the manga for? Adachi never made use of him etc. etc.

H2 = After developing the side characters a bit, then shafted them in the later parts.

Spoiler for H2 ending:

Rough was quite good. Development was consistent throughout the series.

Touch... I haven't read it yet. Scanlations haven't finished. =/

Can anyone please spoil me the ending of Touch(lol.) The ending of a series makes or breaks a series for me.

out of Adachi's works I hated H2 the most, and my favorite is Cross Game.

One thing I noticed in Adachi's works is. The person that would be paired up with the character throughout the series ends up together in the end. It is evident in Katsu, H2 and rough. I don't know about Touch. But, Cross Game seems to be different since Wakaba is you know... But, yeah its quite obvious who he will end up with following Adachi's pattern.

Out of Adachi's manga I regret reading H2. 34 volumes.... and the ending was even more open ended than Katsu!. (At least in rough it was clear she chose him with the tape message.)

Edit:

@retracnosna > Cross Over? you mean the basketball manga? The manga that has the same author as Suzuka manga? that cross over?

Last edited by nadare; 2008-01-29 at 11:25. Reason: adding something
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 03:37   Link #85
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
what i like in adachi work is the pacing of the story as well as the atmosphere, there are some drawing of just background leading you to the scene (parking -> school building -> baseball field -> finally reaching the characters and the current action). the humor is all base on understatement rather than idiotic or purely comic joke wich i find a lot more subtle than in more books.
i also like the fact that in his work the story is about the romance not about the end result of the sport serving as a background for the romance.
Spoiler for :

of course this is my opinion wich is totally partial feel free to disagree

as for touch :
Spoiler for :
Old 2008-01-30, 04:01   Link #86
Dorfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
One thing I noticed in Adachi's works is. The person that would be paired up with the character throughout the series ends up together in the end. It is evident in Katsu, H2 and rough. I don't know about Touch. But, Cross Game seems to be different since Wakaba is you know... But, yeah its quite obvious who he will end up with following Adachi's pattern.
Yeah, pretty much. After reading Miyuki and Niji-Iro Togashi, it's obvious that Adachi
Spoiler:
Too bad, I kinda liked her.

@X102A_Freedom - Same here, I usually quit after 1 volume if I don't like a series. Occasionally I'm persuaded by friends or fan reaction to go back and give them a second try but it rarely works out well. Examples: Tokyo Akazukin (even excrement smeared on the page would be better than that) and Hana Kimi. The only two titles I'm happy I went back to are Berserk and the Initial D anime.

EDIT: Okay, three. Nana turned out to be good after the first two chapters.
Old 2008-01-30, 11:21   Link #87
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n
Spoiler for :
Spoiler:

Anyway, thanks for the Touch spoiler. I'm actually on my way of watching Touch movie right now(Nagasawa Masami FTW <-- main reason why I want to watch it lol. You should try one of her Jdoramas, I HIGHLY recommend Proposal Daisakusen, one of the best love triangle conclusion.)

Anyway I'm adding this to my hate list:

Rosario + Vampire - As I've read this since last year... It was interesting at the beginning, it quickly went downhill from that. I couldn't even get interested even with the latest chapter, too Harem-ish.

To Love Ru - I really hate the main guy, I kept reading this manga till around 60+ chapter. Hoping that the guy will improve, yet he's still pathetic in my eyes >.<.

Ichigo 100% - If you want to have a different girl ending at least prolong the manga a bit longer and properly resolve the harem. It felt too rushed how the way the author concluded everything.
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 15:46   Link #88
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Quote:
To Love Ru - I really hate the main guy, I kept reading this manga till around 60+ chapter. Hoping that the guy will improve, yet he's still pathetic in my eyes >.<.
yep I do agree he is pathetic but in a nice good way, as his sister puts it he is very good at "useless little things"
I like Rito for what he is atm and hope he doesn't change too much like they all do(gets a little boring having leads go through the same changes all the time)

I read the first chapter of Arigatou and all I can say is I WANT MY TIME BACK!!!
I found it extremely distasteful and to a point it scars the mind! I find it quite unsettling

I find Naruto now just a waste of time, I did like it before but now its kinda dragging on.

thats all i can think of atm
Old 2008-01-31, 03:58   Link #89
KatsuKy
Trolls hater

Send a message via Yahoo to KatsuKy
Quote:

Out of Adachi's manga I regret reading H2. 34 volumes.... and the ending was even more open ended than Katsu!. (At least in rough it was clear she chose him with the tape message.)
Isn't it a kissing scene (I mean KATSU! ending), and in the earlier chapters Mizutani did say she liked Satoyama)
KatsuKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 04:13   Link #90
Dorfl

Just remembered another manga that needs to die in a fire, along with everything else ever written by Mayu Shinjo: Haou Airen. It set a new standard of stupidity for shoujo manga heroines (I use the word lightly), and the worst thing is that it's actually popular.
Old 2008-02-05, 07:55   Link #91
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

The problem with titles like bleach and naruto is the problem with all power up manga in that they get repetitive, train-fight-lose-powerup-fight-win- rinse & repeat, dragon ball z, inuyasha etc etc etc these are popular because you can jump in at any point and not feel lost because the constant action is only briefly interupted (maybe 1 chapter every 2 volumes) for actual character development. I personally have found myself addicted to eyeshield 21, i think the quirky humor keeps me coming back but in the end it is the same formula so no point in hating these manga because they are unlikely to go away. btw if you wanna read how a power up manga should be done check out Hajime No Ippo you can get a lot of one chapter every 2 volumes character development done over the course of 80+ volumes.
Old 2008-02-09, 16:43   Link #92
Nenkitsune
Ive been MikuCaramellized

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
I agree on the points you made on bleach/naruto.
It's the reason why i haven't bought anything past the first volume of naruto (after watching a good chunk of the anime)

I tend to try and not start a lot of manga series simply because if i start a series, i want to be hooked to it till the end. Excel Saga and Ai Yori Aoshi did that for me. I've been following them since the first release in the US.
I can't think of many manga i didn't like. a co worker bought hikaru no go for me for our secret santa thing at work, and i was kinda iffy, but i actually like that one.
Naruto's the only series i really don't like. I read a little bit of bleach and it was ok (only read a couple volumes) Diabolo was ok i guess. it was really short though, too short for me, so it kinda lost points there.
I think I'm a lot pickier about what manga i read than i am about what anime i watch. Since i can watch fansubs before i buy the dvd, i can find what shows i don't like way faster, and without having to worry about spending money on them. But that's also why when i go to the book store, i tend to at least read the first volume or two before i buy them. If i'm not feeling it, it goes back on the shelf.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 11:12   Link #93
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

I have to admit Hikaru No Go was a huge surprise to me I avoided it for the longest time because I thought that a manga about some kid playing go would be boring...... I couldn't have been more wrong it was a fantastic if incomplete series, the biggest problem was that when it ended it didn't seem to actually end there was obviously more story to tell, much like with slam dunk.
Old 2008-02-11, 14:12   Link #94
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
Flame of Recca, awesome manga butchered to smitherenes by Viz. So painful to read at times, and really cheap wquality on the paper, but charged a fortune
Could you care to explain what Viz did to it? Or if someone else knows the answer, I would be thankful for your explanation. BTW, I haven't read it, I'm just curious on what Viz did to it.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 09:02   Link #95
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

He is my Master, To-Love-Ru..... Hate them.....
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 22:06   Link #96
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

as for me i just hate those manga that has tragic endings and also really bad sense
Old 2008-04-26, 16:38   Link #97
EvaForever

Is the manga version of excel saga any good,or should i just stick with the anime?

Last edited by EvaForever; 2008-04-27 at 22:59.
EvaForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 14:36   Link #98
Dingo
The polyphony

Gantz

Gantz was good for about 2 volumes, then it just descended into typical Oku disaster.He had a nice idea, but didn't bother fleshing it out, seems like he got bored after the second volume, and just started drawing/writing whatever came to mind(vampires? sweet, mecha gantz? even better!) the characters are horrible, no sort of development whatsoever for any of them(ok kurono had a little) most are useless(haha Kato) and some just downright offending(all foreigners are illiterate cretin according to Oku!) Gantz is also the worst paced Manga I have ever read(shounen's are better paced than it!) Without a doubt Oku is one of the worst Mangaka(up there with Ken Akamatsu i'd say)

Though you have to admit, not a lot of Mangaka are able to draw on for 23+ vols without revealing a thing about the main plot!

Other Manga that I won't even bother ranting about:

To Love Ru
Hatsukoi Limited
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 15:10   Link #99
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
Could you care to explain what Viz did to it? Or if someone else knows the answer, I would be thankful for your explanation. BTW, I haven't read it, I'm just curious on what Viz did to it.
They changed the personalities of the characters, aswell as did script rewrites. If your interested in the manga then read the scanlations, they're a lot better.

The cover art sucks aswell >.<

In general they did what they usually do with their shonen titles, butchered it. Shame their shonen team isn't as good as their shojo team, though they have improved in recent releases, such as Hayate, and the new Kenshin manga
Old 2008-04-27, 21:37   Link #100
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I don't hate any manga. Seriously. If there's one which I must name, it's Negima. It decided to go on a world tour, and I decided to put it down (Low on funds is another persuading factor). Still had the first 10+ volumes though.

Bought two volumes of Hana Kimi for the mangaka's one-shots. Not bad at all. Getting the (Hana-Kimi) drama CDs won't hurt. Kuwashima Houko as Mizuki and Koyasu Takehito as Oscar.... You got to hear it to believe the crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Just remembered another manga that needs to die in a fire, along with everything else ever written by Mayu Shinjo: Haou Airen. It set a new standard of stupidity for shoujo manga heroines (I use the word lightly), and the worst thing is that it's actually popular.
Mayu Shinjo: shojo manga's equivalent of a trashy novel writer. Plots make your brain go to the drain, but can be guilty pleasures. Another factor is the cast she roped in for drama CDs of her works.

I usually get drama CDs along with a new series which I'm trying out. If there's no CD, it gets a small thumbs down. If it has, I then look at the cast.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2008-04-27 at 21:53.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote