AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Kanon

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 54 45.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 35.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-24, 00:11   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Kanon - 2006 - Episode 17 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Kanon, Episode 17.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the game or manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, either PM them or use clearly marked spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for your title:
Old 2007-01-25, 15:03   Link #2
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Screenshots of episode 17 courtesy of Random Curiosity. LOOK AT IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

--> No comments @ this moment. Shiori fans will definitely flip for this episode.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-01-25, 15:39   Link #3
Raniie

Not originally a fan of Shiori. You can blame it on Toei 2k2 version. This episode, however, changed my mind.
Old 2007-01-25, 16:21   Link #4
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I was listening to Verdi's Requiem when I saw those screenshots. My stomach sank upon the combination of the two.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-01-25, 17:02   Link #5
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Anybody recognize the girl on the far right? I imagine that's a Clannad or Lucky Star character though. Just stood out way too much to be random background.
Old 2007-01-25, 17:19   Link #6
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

What a bipolar episode…
Old 2007-01-25, 17:25   Link #7
Raniie

I suppose that statement was refer to Kaori, Meophist?
Old 2007-01-25, 17:43   Link #8
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
As I expected, this isn't the final episode for you-know-who's arc. The art is spectacular this episode, considering. Only one reused stock footage but it's negligable since it's more provokative if we had seen it, not just heard it. I'd say the lines are thinner and rougher than before. There's a lot of action going on here - and I'm not talking about fighting. Just very subtle and basic things - eating, drinking, talking, walking. They showed everything. None of that panning or cutting-off-frame stuff. KyoAni certainly has been busy, so they deserve some praise for this one.

Episode 17 is really a character-driven episode. Both Yuuichi and Kaori are having conflicting ways of dealing with Shiori and the condition she has (stated in episode 16). It seems kind of upsetting to know what's going to happen to her so early into the story, but then, dealing with it is probably what the whole emphasis on Shiori's subplot is all about. And I can see myself in his shoes. You've been with a girl for a month. You have fun, you talk, you laugh. And then that time is cut short. What do you do?

It seems everyone else is getting worried or attached to Yuuichi now. Ayu especially. Yuuichi was right in episode 14: his bizzare actions are standing out lately. But each of them seem to deal with it differently. Akiko seems extremely generous. Your nephew is wandering the streets at night for god knows how long, but she doesn't worry or scold him. Then again, she is a pretty unique character to begin with. And Ayu... well you'll just have to see it for herself. What Yuuichi does for her in return is comforting. The episode has several funny moments - like 40-45% funny - but the other half is like...quiet. I think that's the best way to put it. This is a very quiet episode but it's not trite or dull.

And in those quiet moments they're all thinking about each other. You really wonder what they may say or do to each other next episode. I'm eager as well. Ahh, drama.

The fact that we see nobody in the preview at all (just settings; all but one shot) is a terrible omen...

Enjoy, folks.
Old 2007-01-25, 17:46   Link #9
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

I'm talking about the episode itself, actually. The mood changes between the extremes quite a bit.

Edit: I'm responding to Raniie.
Old 2007-01-25, 18:23   Link #10
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

To paraphrase, Kyuuichi looks and sounds like a "student who just failed to get into collage, or a salaryman after buying a house beyond his budget." His eyes show such weariness from everything...

When Yuuichi talks to himself, addressing Makoto in the beginning... it was pretty bitter. The part about the unimportance of the name of the disease is implemented quite well... and the following part is taken straight out of the game, with Kyuuichi deciding to honor Shiori's wish. He actually recalls Mai's comment about her inability to use her power...
I wonder if the chill of would go straight into his bones over all fo this.

(Thank goodness Shiori hasn't had Akiko's jam... I can't imagine how she'll react to it... and what's with Kyuuichi always having sushi for bentou when he's eating other people's made lunch anyway?)

For Toei Kanon vets, notice the mentioning of the headband by the way?

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-01-25, 18:41   Link #11
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
The fact that we see nobody in the preview at all (just settings; all but one shot) is a terrible omen...

"and when the clock hits midnight"...i cant take it just kill me now >.< and this isnt cinderella im talking about >.<

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-01-25, 19:13   Link #12
Leo_Otaku
俺たち は リトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
Anybody recognize the girl on the far right? I imagine that's a Clannad or Lucky Star character though. Just stood out way too much to be random background.
Isn't she Key-Chan? Homepage mascot or the like?

I liked the use of art in this. How they look through the fountain with the falling snow. The changing colors was neat too.

AYu was really cute "Konban-nyan" ^-^.
Old 2007-01-25, 19:44   Link #13
Noppapana
&gt; Haruhiist &lt;

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
the animation in this ep is done beautifully
i meant the watereffects and falling snow

Credits to Pellissier for the sig
Old 2007-01-25, 19:58   Link #14
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Isn't she Key-Chan? Homepage mascot or the like?

I liked the use of art in this. How they look through the fountain with the falling snow. The changing colors was neat too.

AYu was really cute "Konban-nyan" ^-^.
Ah, thanks. Now all we're missing are Dousei, Planetarian, and Clannad references for the grand slam.
Old 2007-01-25, 21:00   Link #15
Eleutheria
旅行癖

Spoiler:

I noticed that orange haired girl as well ^, stood out from the usual varied Kyoto filler students. Didn't know she was a "named character"

Last edited by Eleutheria; 2007-01-25 at 21:21.
Old 2007-01-25, 21:21   Link #16
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Shiori's arc is not an epic one, so don't go about expecting to be overwhelmed by shock and awe. The strong points of her arc is that it is very Human, out of all the three arcs that we have seen thus far. Shiori's arc is a rarity in the Kanon-verse.

Things to look out for will be the character development, the character emotions, and the ambient mood and settings. Especially the fountain area.

I suppose this is one of the reasons why KyoAni went all out to animate this episode to the nigh-degree. So that Shiori's arc can compete with the rest( on the surface), despite being more subdued in nature.

Cheers.
Old 2007-01-25, 21:46   Link #17
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

I think Shiori's arc is my favourite from what I've seen so far(including '02). Still have a few arcs to go in this version though.
Old 2007-01-25, 21:57   Link #18
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Isn't she Key-Chan? Homepage mascot or the like?.
Her traits are so unique (double antenna+long double braid blonde hair), I spotted her the second she showed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
Even without the previews, judging from the pattern we had so far, it's pretty normal for Shiori's story to come to an end next week.

What's surprising for me is, based on the previews I have read up to episode 21:
(possible spoiler for future episodes)
Spoiler:

=================
This week's episode was great, as usual. Shiori's famous line (which is also probably one of the most famous from the game as a whole) also came out here. You can tell they really placed a lot of effort into that scene.

(So pretty~)

I gotta say, Kawasumi-san's cool aneki voice really matched Kaori here.
Spoiler:

Personal highlight of the week:

"They're enemies of mankind!"
Old 2007-01-25, 22:11   Link #19
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

For me, this is the highlight:

versus this...

Old 2007-01-25, 22:50   Link #20
Cyz
"Show it to me"

@ Skane: only human? Oh with the absence of the super natural stuffs Well, then what do you call
Spoiler:
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Closed Thread