AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-13, 15:15   Link #61
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

I was happy to see that the main character isn't a total wuss who's practically afraid of girls in other romance/harem shows.

Maybe that means we will see some real interactions between haruka and male person instead of millions of blush scenes that go nowhere.
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 17:55   Link #62
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Pretty much like Skyfall, I really liked how the interactions went between Haruka and Yuuto. Frankly, I was a bit worried when she was "overreacting" when he "exposed" her, and with the usual fanclub.
But these aside, the series fairly managed to avoid the rampant cliche and exaggerations.

The most commendable point would be Yuuto: he is hardly spineless and he isn't the plain clueless or helpless fellow. I really liked how his scope of interventions were normal enough (usual male lead would either give up after the very first avoid manoeuvre, etc).
He might sound "plain" at first, but it is certainly a god sent for me, as I was kinda fed up with weaksauce ones, that are rampant in this kind of shows.

Meanwhile, Haruka is the "usual" moeblob, though she also avoided the "doom cliche" in the conclusion. I would just nitpick the fact that Noto's voice really doesn't fit her looks and demeanor, and that, it just exaggerates even more her "naive and moe" aspect, which is clashing a bit too much with Yuuto. I would certainly have preferred Kawakami Tomoko instead.

As results, the dynamic and interactions between Haruka and Yuuto are pleasant to me: refreshing, albeit classic. They made a good job that the relationship between both of them has a certain genuine side, instead of the forced "wuss is in fact a very nice guy, not so helpless so X, Y, Z girl can fall in love with" romance. And since the otaku field can be a goldmine for comedy (see Genshiken, in several instances), it is a very nice formula.

Definitely keeping the show in my roster. Actually, it is probably one of the few series of this season that I would gladly look forward. Some promising points for the comedy and romance, in my books.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 21:45   Link #63
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

is it me or there are a bunge of random anime scenes in the middle?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 21:57   Link #64
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
it's not just you. It was random and i was trying to figure out what was going on. I don't think the fansub group should've put such an unnecessary thing in it especially right in the middle of the episode.

I thought the first episode was pretty good. Haruka's voice seemed a little strange but I'll probably get used to it.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 22:39   Link #65
Makino

Can anyone provide a full body image of the pan up scene of Haruka in her two peice in the opening? Thanks in advance!
Makino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 22:44   Link #66
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Just watched the first episode and I definitely enjoyed it. I really liked both Haruka and Yuuto. So far, they seem like really interesting and intriguing main characters. I really hope the series will continue to develop a nice relationship between the two. This is the series I most anticipated for this summer anime season, and I'm looking forward to see how this series progresses.
Old 2008-07-14, 01:31   Link #67
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
I was laughing at that along with the first episode. Of course, I had also just watched the Kemeko DX trailer which was pretty much in the same league as the extra video. I liked the first episode.

I didn't think that the fanservice was that bad. It looked pretty normal to me. I also think that Haruka's voice is pretty good for being a "perfect wife character".
Old 2008-07-14, 09:02   Link #68
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

Haruka makes head spin...
Anyway, think this anime may become a favourite among those that begun airing recently. I like the characters and the pacing.

And that AMV in the middle was what? Was it actually shown in japanese TV between the episode halves or was it put in by the fansubbers? Either way, it was pretty well done.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 12:29   Link #69
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
And that AMV in the middle was what? Was it actually shown in japanese TV between the episode halves or was it put in by the fansubbers? Either way, it was pretty well done.
I'm pretty sure that was something the fansubbers put in.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 16:48   Link #70
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I didn't think that the fanservice was that bad. It looked pretty normal to me. I also think that Haruka's voice is pretty good for being a "perfect wife character".
Yeah, ditto on these two items for my part. I didn't think the fanservice was particularly offensive because it was quick and didn't bring that much attention to itself. It didn't really feel out-of-place, which I guess is to say that it was blended in smoothly. It's definitely not a major part of the show, anyway. And as for Haruka's voice, I didn't really have a problem with it -- it fits the sort of "perfect princess" image that she's trying to give off. Plus the whole "awawa..." when she's embarrassed was cute.

The one thing I thought about while watching is that this just goes to show how much of a stigma there is to the "Akiba culture" in Japan. A lot of anime newcomers tend to think that anime is somehow accepted as normal in Japan, but this is more like it: you keep it a secret if you don't want to be permanently branded a loser and have your life ruined. Of course, the side-point the show is trying to get across (and the basis of the fantasy) is that you never know who might secretly be an otaku. I suspect the show's message came in form of Yuuto's little speech to Haruka at the rooftop: you're you, and hobbies are just a part of who you are. So I imagine the show will probably end with Haruka's secret being exposed and everyone eventually being okay with it. I suppose it's sort of self-serving for an otaku show to have a message of "being an otaku is nothing to be ashamed about", but there you have it...

Anyway, will keep watching for sure.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 17:14   Link #71
treasurechan

It was worth watching. Nothing totally groundbreaking, but fun to watch at least.

It is just so incredibly refreshing to see the male lead not nosebleed everywhere or melt into a puddle of goo or act like he was just touched by someone with leprosy whenever a girl touched him. That alone wants me to continue watching. I also like the concept of the female otaku. I can relate to it...
treasurechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 18:40   Link #72
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The one thing I thought about while watching is that this just goes to show how much of a stigma there is to the "Akiba culture" in Japan. A lot of anime newcomers tend to think that anime is somehow accepted as normal in Japan, but this is more like it: you keep it a secret if you don't want to be permanently branded a loser and have your life ruined. Of course, the side-point the show is trying to get across (and the basis of the fantasy) is that you never know who might secretly be an otaku. I suspect the show's message came in form of Yuuto's little speech to Haruka at the rooftop: you're you, and hobbies are just a part of who you are. So I imagine the show will probably end with Haruka's secret being exposed and everyone eventually being okay with it. I suppose it's sort of self-serving for an otaku show to have a message of "being an otaku is nothing to be ashamed about", but there you have it...

Anyway, will keep watching for sure.
That is exactly the harsh truth I learnt of some time ago...my initial reaction towards the fact that anime is considered "bad" in Japan was rather in disbelief but there you have it, noobs learn
But the message is kinda ironic...I guess it is supposed to make people watching in Japan who is hiding their love of anime feel better in a way, but I guess it won't make a difference to the reality of things (ie, you will still be labeled a geek if people know your hobbies, which shouldn't be the case imo...oh what a cruel world ).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 22:42   Link #73
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
But the message is kinda ironic...I guess it is supposed to make people watching in Japan who is hiding their love of anime feel better in a way, but I guess it won't make a difference to the reality of things (ie, you will still be labeled a geek if people know your hobbies, which shouldn't be the case imo...oh what a cruel world ).
Well, that's why it's a fantasy anime: what geeky guy wouldn't wish for a beautiful, charming, perfect girlfriend, idolized by all, whose only flaw is that she secretly a geek too? And to top it all off, you're the only one who knows her secret. Obviously, it's supposed to be "too good to be true", but this is why we watch fantasy anime to begin with! Art imitates life imitating art, or something...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 22:45   Link #74
RunningTARGET
Bishoujo sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makino View Post
Can anyone provide a full body image of the pan up scene of Haruka in her two peice in the opening? Thanks in advance!

Not exactly the anime version but still the same scene none the less.

first half
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=p...view&id=300048

second half
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=p...view&id=300049

Last edited by RunningTARGET; 2008-07-15 at 05:19.
RunningTARGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 22:50   Link #75
Makino

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningTARGET View Post
Not excatle the anime version but still the same scence none the less.

first half
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=p...view&id=300048

second half
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=p...view&id=300049
Appreciate the help, I'm planning to make a sig out that image, so I need a clean version without all the text Again, thank you for your help, if you do come across a clean version or the anime version please do let me know
Makino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 00:13   Link #76
stewie0814

Yeah, good first episode, not in 'awesome' territory, but definitely watchable and entertaining. Art wasnt very remarkable, the main guy looks like the typical loser guy, and the colors did seem a bit washed out, but it wasn't bad, just kinda generic i guess.

When i saw the ED, i was reminded a lot of the hare hare yukai ED, i think they wanna create a dance craze with this one too, and the last bit sounds very alike to the 'suki deshou' part of hare hare yukai .
stewie0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 03:01   Link #77
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone Send a message via Skype™ to Anacone
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, that's why it's a fantasy anime: what geeky guy wouldn't wish for a beautiful, charming, perfect girlfriend, idolized by all, whose only flaw is that she secretly a geek too? And to top it all off, you're the only one who knows her secret. Obviously, it's supposed to be "too good to be true", but this is why we watch fantasy anime to begin with! Art imitates life imitating art, or something...
I was maybe thinking too much and/or didn't remember main plot.

I thought she might be seyuu or something bigger than just otaku, before she revealed it. And then I was why didn't guy react much more powerfully when library accident happened. It was shown before that he don't like otaku girls. That partly gave me impression that maybe he didn't got hint right as I didn't and that he thought she might be something else and I wasn't sure too...
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 03:32   Link #78
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Without looking through the comments thus far, I'd have to say that the first episode was fairly unremarkable as far as slapstick comedy goes although the premise and the character interactions kept me entertained, which pretty much means it succeeded in what it was going after. Haruka's quirks and Yuuto's personality (despite bearing a resemblance to Keitaro Urashima) managed to keep me interested and entertained. Although some of the side characters could get annoying it's not too bad and I'm liking the potential this show brings to the table. Definitely going to keep up and see where they take it.

Anyhow, now that I've gone back to read over what else people have written, it doesn't look like I'm too far off the mark. Gotta agree with the notion that like attracts like, especially as far as this anime hobby is concerned. Oh well, we can dream, can't we?
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 06:33   Link #79
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

Mmm, wish fulfillment. I feel guilty about it, but I'm probably going to end up watching this series.
Old 2008-07-15, 12:39   Link #80
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
...I'd have to say that the first episode was fairly unremarkable as far as slapstick comedy goes although the premise and the character interactions kept me entertained, which pretty much means it succeeded in what it was going after....
Maybe it's not exactly slapstick, but I really liked a few comic scenes. I particularly liked the scene at the entrance to the school at 15:25, where Yuuto sort of snuck up on her and in surprise she jumped back: I liked the way she skidded, with the smoke and the sound and the way her body was bent. I can't remember seeing that before. I also liked the motion of how she scuttled across the road just before that.

And as far as animation is concerned, when she was hiding by the school gate, they had her turn her head and change her expression several times in quick succession. I thought it was both endearing and funny. I didn't love the character design at first, but the sakuga (~drawing) and animation are both high-class, at least through one episode.

As new subs come out, I check them out and find myself enjoying ep1 so much that I watch the whole thing again. Some of Haruka's moe expressions, coupled with Noto Mamiko's voice work, are hilarious. Like when they are climbing the stairs in the school. I see more and more quality in this show as I watch it more. I hope they can keep it up. Noto may or may not be the right voice for the character, but she is using that voice well here.

I can see how some people might be put off by the elder sister and the teacher. They are pretty noisy. But Nabatame Hitomi and Matsuki Miyu are each well-known for their lesbian schtick on radio shows, etc., so seeing their characters do scenes together half-dressed has an appeal independent of their role in the show.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen