AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-02-09, 10:31   Link #1
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 26
Venus Versus Virus 1 and 2 Gnu-Fansubs

i ecided to check out this series starting wiht episoe 1 and 2

i tried to play them with my windows media player but as soon as i open them my media player freezes and pops a message that it has to be shut down..

is there anything going on witht he coding of GNU fansubs that is different from any normal fansub or somehting else, i have all necessary codecs, i watch fansubs a lot, but never had this trouble before
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 10:40   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
The video is encoded in H.264. Have you ever played any videos in that format before? If you have, try re-loading the file through BitTorrent or run a check on the CRC32 hash and make sure that it matches up (using a program like HashCalc). That's to ensure that the file isn't corrupt.

If you've never played H.264 before, there should be some posts around here for explaining how to get it going. Unlike XviD, I don't believe there's a "codec" you can install for support. You have some options:

1) Install a build of FFDShow with H.264 support. This also affords you some customization, as you may find a build that allows you to make better use of your hardware. Note that CCCP, which is frequently recommended on these forums, is a specialized build of FFDShow along with some additions that works rather well. If you choose this route, you may want to remove any previous codecs you have installed on your system.

2) Use VLC as a videoplayer. If the stable release doesn't support it by now, the beta does. VLC uses its own internal codecs, so you don't need to worry about messing with anything else.

It's probably also a good idea to switch away from using Windows Media Player; it's a bit finnicky.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 10:45   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Or in other words, please read the [READ ME FIRST] How do I get this fansub to play? sticky.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 12:23   Link #4
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post

1) Install a build of FFDShow with H.264 support. This also affords you some customization, as you may find a build that allows you to make better use of your hardware. Note that CCCP, which is frequently recommended on these forums, is a specialized build of FFDShow along with some additions that works rather well. If you choose this route, you may want to remove any previous codecs you have installed on your system.

2) Use VLC as a videoplayer. If the stable release doesn't support it by now, the beta does. VLC uses its own internal codecs, so you don't need to worry about messing with anything else.
yes i have that coec installed and normally it plays every kind of format i use, even H.264 support, i downloaded VLC again, but im not quite comfortable watching things with it, it works with VLC but im considering a complete reinstall of all ym codecs to gt them all up to date

do not worry about the part where people think i havent read the how toplay fansubs topic, i read it when i first got into contact with fansubs etc.
i got a whoe loa of coecs on my pc, haali media splitter, ffdshow, k lite codec pack, ac3filter, XP Codec Pack 2.0.4, TMPGEnc and divx, to my beliefs it should work with my windows media player, but what worried me was that it didnt stayed open and showed a small windows media player pop up that the file couldnt be played, what worried me was that the entire program had to be aborded as soon as i presed open
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 12:47   Link #5
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
i got a whoe loa of coecs on my pc, haali media splitter, ffdshow, k lite codec pack, ac3filter, XP Codec Pack 2.0.4, TMPGEnc and divx, to my beliefs it should work with my windows media player, but what worried me was that it didnt stayed open and showed a small windows media player pop up that the file couldnt be played, what worried me was that the entire program had to be aborded as soon as i presed open
Please oh please, read the sticky!

It's no wonder you are having problems.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 19:08   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
do not worry about the part where people think i havent read the how toplay fansubs topic, i read it when i first got into contact with fansubs etc.
i got a whoe loa of coecs on my pc, haali media splitter, ffdshow, k lite codec pack, ac3filter, XP Codec Pack 2.0.4, TMPGEnc and divx, to my beliefs it should work with my windows media player...
I'm not sure when you looked at the "How do I get fansubs to play" post, but I'd imagine that it's changed a bit since you last looked at it. For more complete instructions, check there again.

I'll tell you briefly, though, that you're most likely experiencing an issue because you have too many codecs installed on your system. You'd think that having more codecs would be better, right? Actually, having multiple codecs that can do the same thing can lead to system instability when trying to do media things. The codecs act when they shouldn't, other codecs get confused - it's a big mess. Even worse, with so many codecs running around, it's very difficult to determine what exactly is causing the problem.

So, the first step is to remove all of the codecs from your system. They hide away, so it can be a pretty difficult task, but remove every trace of them that you can. You can go from there, then (I'd advise looking over the thread xris mentioned to get the latest advice on what works best). Good luck!
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.