AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-09, 16:54   Link #1
onehp
Banned

good dystopian anime

I want:

-not too old animation
-has some realistic science fiction, realistic in what I mean I don't want to see a cheese that can transform into a super robot for no reason for example. I'll also take medieval world with trains and other future tech or vice versa, etc.
-a superior race dominating an inferior race, the inferior race is in pockets of small resistance -OR- how they live their miserable lives and facing the challenges of living
-generally well received by people watching it

Edit:
Since I can't change title I'll also take sci fi anime about some sort of physics (ex: Abenobashi)

Last edited by onehp; 2007-02-09 at 16:57. Reason: update
Old 2007-02-09, 16:59   Link #2
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

The Third
Code Geass (ongoing)
Noein perhaps...
Old 2007-02-09, 22:01   Link #3
7Th
Mixtape

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a full-thought dystopian anime. Cyber-punk like Akira or Ghost in the Shell are somewhat related to the genre, but not really part of it, since they’re about a decadent future but it’s not about some seemingly “perfect” development of technology or human nature.
Old 2007-02-09, 22:22   Link #4
jedinat
フリーター

Dystopian... Would the movie THX 1138 be a good example?

I'm thinking Battle Angel Alita, but the anime doesn't really get to that like the manga does.
Old 2007-02-10, 00:38   Link #5
Scorch

Texhnolyze fits basically every criteria you listed. The tech isn't too unbelievable (cybernetic replacement arms and legs are pretty much the most advanced thing in it). It's not for the squeamish.
Old 2007-02-10, 13:14   Link #6
Unnilhexium

I'm not sure if it fits what you're looking for, but
you could try Now and Then, Here and There.

Good luck on your search.
Old 2007-02-11, 06:25   Link #7
andromeda0201

Well if you mean believable sci-fic...
Kurau Phantom Memory
Noein
Beyond the Clouds
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
Planet ES
Old 2007-02-11, 11:05   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Surprisingly, Scrapped Princess fits most of the features you requested. I won't say more because it would be a spoiler.
Old 2007-02-12, 14:53   Link #9
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehp View Post
I want:

-not too old animation
-has some realistic science fiction, realistic in what I mean I don't want to see a cheese that can transform into a super robot for no reason for example. I'll also take medieval world with trains and other future tech or vice versa, etc.
-a superior race dominating an inferior race, the inferior race is in pockets of small resistance -OR- how they live their miserable lives and facing the challenges of living
-generally well received by people watching it

Edit:
Since I can't change title I'll also take sci fi anime about some sort of physics (ex: Abenobashi)
Planetes is somewhat dystopic in outlook (in that the rewards of the space age are monopolized solely by the developed nations, and many are left behind and dispossessed in its wake, and also because one of the outlooks presented is that advancing scientific progress is more valuable than individual human lives and sentiment). The oppressed "resistance" who resort to desperate measures are hardly righteous heroes though (the villains actually).

Also, the show is "realistic" sci-fi.
Old 2007-02-17, 16:20   Link #10
Aquillion

I would second Texhnolyze. I would also recommend Infinite Ryvius, which, while not specifically dystopian in the sense you probably meant, generally matches the genre and fits the other things you asked for... it's fairly 'hard' sci-fi about miserable lives and facing the challenges of living. One of the things I like about it is that it tries to show 'realistic' space battles, where each side launches their weapons and then has to wait for nail-biting minutes or hours until they find out if they're going to die or not.
Old 2007-02-17, 18:07   Link #11
Gomenasai
The Poster-guy

You should check out "Moby Dick" bunch of space whale hunters AKA, people who go around hunting for wrecked or broken down ships and sell them for salvage. there is a really good plot to it all that I dont want explain because it would spoil it alot. But further in the show it has a "LARGE" form of opression on 1 type of people that are in broken up groups trying to form resistence to a "Huge" Imperial like opression. it has some good comedy, a little bit of it is serious and there is a tiny bit of drama in it. overall it was a "must see" but for a dystopian type genre that ur looking for, id give it a try.
Old 2007-02-18, 23:03   Link #12
acidflower

Ergo Proxy definitely fits all that. It has a very nitty-gritty feel, with this overcast of dark tones and such 24/7 in the anime.

Wolf's rain would be another one. it's about how misfits (humans who can turn into wolves) are looking for their own world (paradise). it's more character driven as opposed to plot driven, but still very riveting to see the challenges they go through and the discrimination they face.
Old 2007-02-19, 01:21   Link #13
Joojoobees

Arrow Good dystopic story

Towards the Terra is a good match with the exception that the animation looks older (not bad, but older, and not quite as amazing as most newer animation).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=1407
Old 2007-02-19, 01:35   Link #14
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Check out Appleseed (2004 movie), it's about a future where humans and Bioroids live together, but all the decision making was up to a council (and a computer). It sounds boring but the action is really well done and the story is interesting when you watch it. I highly recommand it, if you're looking for an anime movie.
Old 2007-02-19, 16:07   Link #15
xcxcxcc

serial experiments lain has that cyberpunk/philosophical feeling great story not really dystopian though
noein it has that future/past thingy and some interesting animation and a good story
ergo proxy my personal favorite cyberpunk/philisophical with the superior race dominating an inferior race good animation u could say that is dark kind of GITS mixed with elfen laid
blue gender....well maybe not but they r in the future
neon genesis evangelion trying to create a supreme human being that will succeed all existing life on earth an the setting is the future
Old 2011-11-26, 17:13   Link #16
pianoman

Distopian anime reply

Have you seen Tenge Toppa Gurren Lagann? It is very distopian, however some of the sci-fi is unrealistic. The series is really good. Another distopian anime that is really good is 07 Ghost. Code Geauss seems to fit what you are looking for very well as well, however, be warned it is a darker series.
Old 2011-11-26, 17:23   Link #17
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Um...necromancer guy..Dude asked for suggestions 4 years ago...
Old 2011-11-26, 17:39   Link #18
kitten320

People... why the hell do you bother checking themes and responding to them when they are not on front or maximum second page?

Anything further than page 2 is damn old.
Old 2011-11-26, 17:41   Link #19
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate

Not only that but the guy's already banned as well...
Old 2011-11-26, 18:04   Link #20
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
You should watch Wolf's Rain, it's one of if not the best dystopian anime I've ever watched in my life.

Be warned though you will get depressed later on if you watch it.