AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-02-10, 18:38   Link #1
Altema
Simple

Send a message via AIM to Altema
Interest in Anime/Manga

When I was about 13 or 14, I got into anime and went crazy with it. I used to watch about 15 different series each season. When I was on summer or winter break, I would go work and in my spare time, I would watch a ton of anime. At that time, I remembered that I said something along the lines of "I will never lose interest in anime!"

Fast forward about 7 years (I'm 21 now) and I'm not sure if its a lack of interest or the massive amount of school work I am doing, but I currently download and watch 1 series. I occasionally watch 2 other series with my roomies, but its mostly for super casual watching (ie. after we play basketball and are TOO tired to do anything). I still read manga and anime, but I guess it is being phased out by school work or a lack of interest.

What about you guys? Have you noticed a trend of whether or not your interest in anime/manga wavers? Or are you still going strong with your 3083084304 series in queue?
Altema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 20:30   Link #2
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Hmm. I'm following 32 series at the moment. (Also working on a few of them!) Was following 43 last season. The past year or so, I've been following a lot more than I used to... but that's because I'm retired and have a lot more free time. A few years ago I'd only follow a few each season (somewhere from 4-10) but over time I've ended up watching a lot more. That also has a lot to do with increased quotas here in AU allowing me to download more than I used to, but even without fansubs, I buy pretty much every complete DVD box set Madman releases.

Interest itself does waiver, though. While I download shows as they air, some may sit in a queue for weeks, or even months (I have a number of complete series I haven't got around to watching yet; even numerous DVD box sets I haven't even opened, because I saw the series fansubbed when it aired, bought it on DVD, but haven't felt like rewatching it yet. =p)

At the moment, of current series, I'm only behind on D.Gray-Man and Busou Renkin. Have ~10 eps of both sitting in my direct queue at the moment. The other 30 series, I watch as soon as I download, pretty much.

But, it's not actually all that time-consuming. 32 series is only something like ~14 hours (I just woke up, not doing real math) a week. Considering different eps come out on various days, that's only 2-3 hours a day at the very most. Even someone working or studying full time could manage that. That is if they can hold the interest.

Thing is, I watch pretty much anything except sports or super-ecchi/hentai. Drama, comedy, romance, action, sci-fi, love all of it. So they retain my interest and I can continue watching things from week to week without a problem. The thing is I have to do it in moderation. No more than 3 hours a day, generally. Though I have had a few long marathons in the past, they are quite rare. ^^;

But, I do have periods where I won't watch anything for a few weeks (life gets distracting sometimes) and my backlog snowballs. That can be problematic, but it's not an issue of losing interest. ^^
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 20:32   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

I don't watch all that much anime anymore... mostly because I've seen all the older series that interest me, and the current anime I'm interested in get fansubbed so freaking slowly... Is there a reason why 10 different groups do the same series, and other (better ) stuff gets almost completely ignored?

Worse with manga... new freaking yaoi getting scanlated every day... while some good stuff can go for months/years without any releases.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 06:17   Link #4
Altema
Simple

I hear you on the backlog thing. I have a folder of 300 DVDs (roughly 1-2 DVD's equal a series) of backlogged anime.

I usually let the manga pile up then do a reading fest.
Old 2007-02-11, 06:29   Link #5
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
I've never gone crazy with anime, and have always followed one series at a time... ocassionally I follow one that is being fansubbed and one that is coming out on DVD. I feel that I can appreciate each series more that way, providing I'm more picky and only choose good shows. The downside of this is that I miss out on some shows that I would probably enjoy.
Old 2007-02-11, 09:07   Link #6
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
I also got into anime at about 13 or 14. I was crazy about the shows that I watched (the regular first timer stuff, Naruto, Love Hina). I watched lots of shows afterwards and broadened my taste in anime. Then I lost interest for a while, maybe due to school, I don't know (lost interest as in watched far less), but eventually (recently, a few months back) I got back into anime. Even though I said that, I still don't watch many series, simply because not many series interest me with their plots. Although shows like Honey and Clover help me think that anime can be fresh, recently I've been wary of them because of some cliched elements in a lot of anime. But then, I began to watch Ghibli films and am having a sort of resurgence in my interest, yet again.

I don't like holding many series to watch because then it feels like a chore. I'd rather find a series or film I'm interested in and watch that one at a time to really get the most out of it.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 15:04   Link #7
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I got into anime around the age of 13. I still watch lots of anime and I don't see any signs of me losing interest anytime soon. I believe I will always like anime.
Old 2007-02-11, 15:54   Link #8
Altema
Simple

I also believe I will like anime. I don't think I will ever dislike it. It's just my interest in it wavers a lot.

I also went through stages that Theowne stated where you feel anime is just overdone and cliched. Sometimes I feel that and I don't watch anymore.

I just found it odd how I started off so hardcore and I never maintained that attitude as I aged.
Old 2007-02-11, 18:39   Link #9
Nergol

Well, a couple things...

First, welcome to being a little grown-up. You have other stuff to do than just your hobbies. That's not a bad thing.

Secondly, nothing stays quite as passionate after a while as it does at its beginning. Ever heard of the "seven year itch" in marriage? There ya go - that's precisely the same thing. The burning passion wears off and you realize that you're stuck with this woman for the next 60 or 70 years. Better have something else other than starry-eyed passion to fall back on then, or it's gonna be a rough ride. So your passion has worn off - but it seems like you've managed to work out more of a steady, slow burn. Again, not a bad thing.

I got into anime when I was about your age, and I'm in my mid-30s now. I was a real hopeless otaku then, and I'm not now. Anime will always be something I enjoy. But it's not a way of life for me anymore.

As for how many series I follow, I usually show about five at a time - my roommates and I watch together on the TV downstairs. That's 2 1/2 hours of programming every couple days - a lot better deal than CSI: Terre Haute. We just finished Higurashi and Noodle Fighter Miki, and added Hanada Shounen-shi and Bartender. But we mix it up with non-anime stuff too - we just finished BBC's Monkey Dust and added Aagh, It's The Mr. Hell Show. You should try some branching out too. Ever seen Red Dwarf?

Anyhow, it's no bad news, just the way things go.
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 17:07   Link #10
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
I think when I first watched it I tried to get my hands on to everything that I could anime/manga wise. I don't watch or read as much as I used too. I've just have other things that are top priority.

At the moment I am only following five series and I am having trouble keeping up as much as it is. I even had to drop one(which would have been series #6).

It's not that my interest is fading though, like I said before, I just have other things to do.
LionsMane is offline   Reply With Quote