AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Old 2007-01-20, 05:55   Link #1
Bloodseeker

Are there any routers that don't need a static IP adress...

...to do port forwarding? Because it looks like I'm going to be without a static IP for at least a year (my mom signed up for a year contract with Yahoo DSL, and they want $59.99 per month to give us a static IP adress), and my downloads are crawling. (took me 3 hours to download Code Geass episode 13, looks like its going to take me a few days to download Soukou no Strain episode 4)

Also, what routers would you guys say are best for P2P?
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-20, 06:18   Link #2
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Unless I'm mistaken the static address requirement for port-forwarding is on the inside of your network, not the outside. That is, your PC needs a static address. The router's external address can change as much as it likes, the router will still know what it is. Regardless the target for forwarded connections doesn't change so it will also be able to work out where it needs to send packets. The internal address of the router never changes, so your PC will not have problems knowing how to reply.

If you want your PC to use a dynamic address, then any router / BitTorrent client pair that supports UPnP should be able to cope, because this is setting up the forwards dynamically (when you need them).
Old 2007-01-20, 06:44   Link #3
Bloodseeker

All I know is that I had to change my Internet Protocol to "obtain IP adress automatically" to get my internet to work, and that according to portforwarding.com's instructions, that won't work for the router that I'm using. (LinksysWRT54G version 2)
Old 2007-01-20, 07:46   Link #4
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

I've had a look at their guide, for your router, and like I said it is your PC that needs to have the static address, not the router. In fact, if you look at their example picture it too had "obtain an IP adress automatically" enabled.

If you've set your PC to "obtain IP adress automatically" (DHCP) mode, you need to reconfigure it. Their static IP address page I linked to before might help you.
Old 2007-01-20, 07:47   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
All I know is that I had to change my Internet Protocol to "obtain IP adress automatically" to get my internet to work, and that according to portforwarding.com's instructions, that won't work for the router that I'm using. (LinksysWRT54G version 2)
You should be able to set a static IP. Say your router is configured to hand out IPs using DHCP (automatic assignment) from 192.168.1.100 and higher. Then just set your PC to:
IP: 192.168.1.80 (outside DHCP range)
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

If that works you can set portforwarding to your static internal IP. If that doesn't work, check if your IP changes frequently. Afaik your router may be assiging the same IP each time, or frequently at least.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-20, 22:38   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

This sounds correct. If you're worried about your PC conflicting with another PC, set your static IP to a relatively high number.

So, for example, suppose your router's internal IP is 192.168.1.1 (default for most routers). By default, it hands out IPs starting from 192.168.1.100 - any computer connecting thereafter will get that IP + 1 (so 192.168.1.101 for the second system), until the "lease" on the first IP expires. Instead, set your own IP to, say, 192.168.1.110. Unless you have 10+ computers accessing your network, it is then unlikely that anyone will ever receive a conflicting IP.

Of course, if your computer is always on or accesses your router within a 24 hour period each day, it will constantly renew its IP and you won't need to worry about a different computer stealing the static IP you're forwarding to.

I've also seen routers that could assign a static IP based on the computer's MAC address, which may be extraneous or a nice feature. (I personally miss it, but I guess it's not really necessary.)
Old 2007-02-27, 09:12   Link #7
Bloodseeker

I didn't bother with this earlier because I didn't get what you guys were talking about, but I'm going to have to fix some other problems with this computer after I get a bit more sleep, and I might as well fix this one right along with it, so...

Where exactly would I go to change my computer's static IP?
Old 2007-02-27, 09:59   Link #8
Jeromie

Quote:
Where exactly would I go to change my computer's static IP?
For Linksys routers you can access the setup by going here http://192.168.0.1/
The address for it is usually whatever the router's IP is so if you changed it make sure you remember what it was.

If i understand correctly you want to port forward your BitTorrent client in your router but you can't because manualy port forwarding it requires a static IP. If that's the case then I think the easiest way would be to enable UPnP. So no matter what IP you have if your BitTorrent client is trying to connect the router will automatically forward the ports it uses. uTorrent supports UPnP and so does my Linksys WRT54GL which is what im using as my current setup.
Jeromie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 16:07   Link #9
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
This guide covers where to set the static IP in your computer
Old 2007-02-28, 08:27   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Another option is to find the place in the router management software where you can assign a specific IP address to a specific "MAC" address. The MAC address is the hardware address of the Ethernet or WiFi adapter on the client computer. It's six pairs of two characters each (the hexadecimal digits 0-9A-F) usually separated by colons. You can find the MAC address either by:

(a) Start > Run > type "cmd" in the box > Hit return. A black "shell" window will open. Type "ipconfig /all" at the ">" prompt. You'll see a list of adapters and the MAC addresses for any Ethernet or WiFi devices in the machine. Or,

(b) Have the computer connect to the router normally, then use the management software to find the list of connected machines. You should see the MAC address there.

Once you have the MAC address, your router software should be able to assign it a static IP address. Then you can leave the client workstation in the default "get an address automatically via DHCP" condition. Having a static IP on a laptop, for instance, would be a pain if you intend to take it anywhere else and use its network connections. By making the static assignment on your router, your computer always gets the same address when it's connected to the router, but free to get any address when the computer is somewhere else.
Old 2007-02-28, 16:30   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have run across router access web controls that were so broken that the user couldn't portforward reliably with a NAT internal (one didn't allow for range restrictions and was pretty random about dhcp assignments, another turned off portforwarding controls if you turned on NAT/dhcp, yet another didn't have any facilities at all for such 'esoteric' stuff). Invariably they were no-name "provided by your telco" types of routers though....

It still annoys me that many routers don't provide a UI that allows for assigning a RANGE of ports to an internal address (adding one port at a time... sheesh).
Old 2007-02-28, 21:39   Link #12
Jeromie

Quote:
It still annoys me that many routers don't provide a UI that allows for assigning a RANGE of ports to an internal address (adding one port at a time... sheesh).
I think Linksys Router's have that setting to manually port forward to a certain IP address. At least my Linksys WRT54GL does.
Jeromie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 23:51   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They also don't seem to let you forward some arbitrary external port to a different internal port, like using external 22222 to point to an SSH daemon running on port 22 on an internal machine. At least my Netgear doesn't.