AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-02-12, 17:46   Link #1
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 29
Pan's Labyrinth

Anyone go see this movie? I went to see this having seen 20 seconds of the trailer and knowing little more than it was a fantasy movie. (I didn't even know it was going to be in Spanish )

Anyways, it was awesome. A strange meld of fairy-tale kid's story with horror and mutilation (had to look away a couple times ), and a little warfare thrown in.

link
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 17:53   Link #2
Shay
Monarch Programmer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liverpool
Age: 33
Yes. I have been waiting for this for some time now. I really can't wait to catch it.
__________________
Current Anime - Attack on Titan
Current Manga - Naruto
Current Book - Waiting for War of the Roses
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 18:28   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Middle of insanity
Trust me, you'll love it. It fricking kicks ***!
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 19:15   Link #4
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
It's a great movie, pretty bloody but overall it's great. I was actually expecting to see more 3d arts in it but most of the good scenes were already in the trailers.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 20:01   Link #5
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Kamogawa Gym
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Spoiler:

Loved the movie, but I hate it when movies start like that. Also I don't think they ever revealed the faun's name as Pan in the subtitles. Was one of my favorites of 2006 though .
__________________

Shun me, for I am frumious!

Last edited by Bandersnatch; 2007-02-12 at 22:22.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 21:30   Link #6
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
@Bandersnatch
(cough, cough) you might want to put that in the spoiler, don't ruin it for the ones that haven't seen it yet.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 21:42   Link #7
Papaya
Sup
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
Why oh why did they start the movie off by showing how it ends. Loved the movie, but I hate it when movies start like that. Also I don't think they ever revealed the faun's name as Pan in the subtitles. Was one of my favorites of 2006 though .
Yeah, but in just about every concept art, script, and everything else, he's named Pan though =P
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 00:15   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
Spoiler:

Loved the movie, but I hate it when movies start like that. Also I don't think they ever revealed the faun's name as Pan in the subtitles. Was one of my favorites of 2006 though .
I also dislike that they revealed the ending in the first 30 seconds. It created a sense of looming inevitability which was unnecessary. When we got near the end I knew exactly how it would turn out.

As for the title of this movie... I'm afraid it was renamed for US release. We never heard that the name of the Faun was Pan. The actual spanish title is "El Laberinto del Fauno" which means "The Faun's Labyrinth." Since Pan is a famous faun, I guess they thought it would be more marketable?
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 01:12   Link #9
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
As for the title of this movie... I'm afraid it was renamed for US release. We never heard that the name of the Faun was Pan. The actual spanish title is "El Laberinto del Fauno" which means "The Faun's Labyrinth." Since Pan is a famous faun, I guess they thought it would be more marketable?
Didn't know about the name change until now. When I saw the thread's title, I though it would be about something else.

Anyway, it's a nice movie.

Couldn't stop thinking about the Chupacabras everytime the Faun showed up though.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 09:42   Link #10
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 29
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
It was a lovely movie. Quite tragic and bloody, but this sets the perfect atmosphere for this movie. It had it's suspense, espeicially when she sets to do her 2nd task and that "monster" starts to chase her. "suspense" "the suspense". Overall it was a good movie that has total fantasy mixed with modern society(Post WWII, that is). 8.7/10 would be my rating for it.
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 18:11   Link #11
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 25
This was one of the best movies I've seen in a while.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 22:58   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
My son saw it with his friends last weekend... they thought it almost as depressing as Grave of the Fireflies but very well executed as a movie.
Big Thumbs Up ... but unlikely to watch it again.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 23:11   Link #13
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My son saw it with his friends last weekend... they thought it almost as depressing as Grave of the Fireflies but very well executed as a movie.
Big Thumbs Up ... but unlikely to watch it again.
Strangely, I didn't find it very depressing... not nearly so much as Grave of the Fireflies. I guess it depends on how you interpret the fantasy elements; whether they are real or just the illusions of a lonely girl. I like to think it was real.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-14, 02:42   Link #14
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Strangely, I didn't find it very depressing... not nearly so much as Grave of the Fireflies. I guess it depends on how you interpret the fantasy elements; whether they are real or just the illusions of a lonely girl. I like to think it was real.
Unfortunately the wall between fantasy and reality was broken once in the movie. That revealed the truth of the fantasy. (I say unfortunately because I would prefer for it to stay unknowable.)

Both Captain Vidal and Mercedes saw the mandrake root. If the faun did not give the root to her, I cannot imagine how she would get such a thing. Therefore it must have been real. Also, it might have been coincidence, but right after Mercedes threw the root into the fire breaking the spell, her health failed.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-14, 03:50   Link #15
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Unfortunately the wall between fantasy and reality was broken once in the movie. That revealed the truth of the fantasy. (I say unfortunately because I would prefer for it to stay unknowable.)

Both Captain Vidal and Mercedes saw the mandrake root. If the faun did not give the root to her, I cannot imagine how she would get such a thing. Therefore it must have been real. Also, it might have been coincidence, but right after Mercedes threw the root into the fire breaking the spell, her health failed.
That is true... I kinda sorta thought that the fact that the captain couldn't see the faun counterbalanced that, but yeah that was some pretty hard evidence for its reality.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-15, 16:26   Link #16
ohitislove
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
I can't wait to see it. However, I think the commerical previews make it look like a kids movie, but when I saw the more detailed trailer I was shocked. I don't think it's for kids at all.
ohitislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-15, 17:29   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Um.... in the States, its rated "R" (17+ or with parent) so ... no, not for unaccompanied kids (and I'd probably smack a parent for taking an immature kid -- I'd still like to smack the parent that brought a kid to Jurassic Park and it screamed and cried through half the movie even after people lodged complaints)
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-15, 21:02   Link #18
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Kamogawa Gym
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Did people hear there is a faun in it and think its a sequel to Chronicles of Narnia or something?
__________________

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 21:10   Link #19
cheyannew
PolyPerson!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern VA
After seeing it, I don't think it's for kids at all hehehe smidge too graphic

But it was still good, my husband and I were surprised at the effects; they're very well done!
__________________
"...we are wolves in a flock of sheep. We are the hunters. We are the Alphas and we are on this Earth to conquer."

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 23:38   Link #20
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I also dislike that they revealed the ending in the first 30 seconds. It created a sense of looming inevitability which was unnecessary. When we got near the end I knew exactly how it would turn out.
Hey, they did the same thing in Grave of the Fireflies, and that was still an amazing movie. I'd even say that because the ending of the movie was revealed, it was even *better* because it just made it that much more depressing.

As for Pan's Labyrinth, the movie is being shown in a theater a few blocks away for a couple more weeks, and I plan on watching it as soon as I get my next paycheck.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.