AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-18, 00:22   Link #1
TickTock

And pendumlum swings back..

Okay, so.. After watching Elfen Lied, my appetite for silly comedy's, ecchi harems, and pretty much all other genre's have died. Just recently, as in today and yesterday, I've found myself back into Elfen Lied. So I'm curious to know, does anything even come close to it? Oh sure, I've watched many that have suggest are close to it, including both Gantz seasons, but in my opinion they didn't even compare. I know you can't exactly expect a perfect copy of an anime, but it's rather disappointing at how rare of a find Elfen Lied was. Granted, it does have the generic super-powered amnesiac girl meets boy setting, I enjoyed it nonetheless.

So, since my last call for suggestions was rather empty, I'm hoping to strike gold this time. Are there any shows like Elfen Lied that anyone here would care to suggest?

(No mecha's or historical settings please.)
-Lots of emotional conflict.
-Man vs. Self
-Plenty of tasteless violence
-Doesn't have a half-assed story line...
-Ever present badass atmosphere.
-Has scenes that make you pause, and think "Holy @#$%. That was cool."

Anyway, something along those lines please.
Old 2007-02-18, 19:35   Link #2
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

Elfen Lied is one of those seriously rare one off types. I don't think you will find anything out there that mixes the genres to create such a good story as elfen lied did.

For something close, lol I would have said Gantz could be considered one the closest thing around (just shows u how unique Elfen Lied was).

I seem to remember Speed Grapher had a similar feel. With Honor, sci-fy, mystery and special powers all mixed in there to create a reasonably good story. However its been a long time since i watched it, so i really couldn't tell u exactly.
Old 2007-02-18, 20:30   Link #3
Moon Eclipse

I don't know if your last suggestions included this one but:
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Recently there's been a comparative forum between the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Elfen Lied about which one is more sadistic.

It's violent, delves into some "self" introspections, has an ever present badass atmosphere, lots of emotional conflict... It made me go: what the "stuff"?

Paranoia Agent has a lot of self introspection, is somewhat violent, gets wierd, made me go what the "stuff" but it's more similiar to LAIN and FLCL in my mind
Old 2007-02-18, 21:44   Link #4
fto
Anime Forever

Overall Elfin Lied does have a sad ending, and Speed Grapher does have a similar feeling at least until the end it gives a relaxed feeling(a little) since it is a little "happy" ending
Old 2007-02-18, 22:59   Link #5
acidflower

ergo proxy may be in your interest. while it doesn't deal with so much man vs self, it certainly deals with morals and such. (you need to have a lot of patience with this anime). it takes place in the future in a dystopia, there are a few similarities between this and nineteen eighty-four (by george orwell).

I would also recommend gankutsuou. it doesn't deal much with man vs self, but much more with revenge and you know, the weight that comes with revenge. etc. it takes place in the future.
Closed Thread