AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-07-20, 12:18   Link #1021
nanafan
horo fan

i had a feeling i was wrong lol. i wish i could answer your question, but i have only read the first volume..sorry.

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 13:03   Link #1022
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Shall be interesting to hear what you have to say.

I'm not to sure if i wanna pick up the first volume just yet, what with watching the anime at the moment and all. Though i'm sure you might have a few things to say that might change my mind.
I figure I'm pretty safe since the anime is so far along and the english manga is set to release every 3 months or so.

I've avoided the scanlations and raws on this one. However, I've gotten a bit spoiled in other threads (Negima, etc) with people discussing scans or raws of series that are getting english release treatment. It'd be nice if people could have their own threads for each since spoiler tagging is not a 100% followed etiquette. I may ask the mods if they've thought about this and have a policy of any kind.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 13:52   Link #1023
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Hmm ... I'm noticing that I see people who have watched and liked H&C also like this, like aliensporebomb.

Yes, people like us like well-made romance comedies.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 14:57   Link #1024
Kaitou Icery
Shadow Dreamer

Send a message via AIM to Kaitou Icery Send a message via MSN to Kaitou Icery Send a message via Yahoo to Kaitou Icery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've avoided the scanlations and raws on this one. However, I've gotten a bit spoiled in other threads (Negima, etc) with people discussing scans or raws of series that are getting english release treatment. It'd be nice if people could have their own threads for each since spoiler tagging is not a 100% followed etiquette. I may ask the mods if they've thought about this and have a policy of any kind.
I haven't looked at any of the manga RAWs as I really have had access to them, though... it's not like I'd be able to understand any (or very little) of it anyway.. XP Even though I have read the scanlations that Ochibichan have done up to chapter 29, I'll have to agree that it does get annoying when people start discussing things that have happened later in a series and I haven't even gotten there yet. But... it usually doesn't bother me all that much as I can either block it out or if I do read it, I usually forget it anyway with my bubble brain of a memory.. XD;

Just wanted to mention to everyone here that I opened up a LoveCom site (pretty sure that it's the first English fansite for this series as I haven't seen any others... :P), called Comedy is Love, and if there's anything anyone would like to contribute, feel free to let me know. :P
Old 2007-07-20, 15:19   Link #1025
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Hmm ... I'm noticing that I see people who have watched and liked H&C also like this, like aliensporebomb.

Yes, people like us like well-made romance comedies.
Oh I don't mind an occasional goofy 'harem' sort of comedy (like Nagasarete) but other than the rare jewel like Kanon I've gotten really less friendly towards the 'typical pick-the-girl harem' romances.

Shows like H&C, Bokura ga Ita, or even REC or Lamune appeal to me more. Lamune passes because it really just junked the whole harem aspect of its source. Canvas 2 drop-kicked everything except the core triangle. But mostly I've found more enjoyment in the Lovely*Complex sort of social framework to drape a story on.
Old 2007-07-20, 15:20   Link #1026
nanafan
horo fan

i like this show but i haven't seen honey and clover.

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
Old 2007-07-20, 16:07   Link #1027
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Honey and Clover is perhaps more adult oriented with much less focus on
the humor aspects (even though they are there and some of them are
will make you laugh so hard your stomach hurts) where the major characters
are the students at an art college.

It was the first show where I saw anything remotely like real life
style relationships. While LoveCom has some of the very realistic
pangs and sighs of first love it has more slapstick humor whereas
the humorous moments in Honey and Clover are there to relieve
the sometimes heavy moods involved and some of them go for
long stretches as the characters do a lot of soul searching.

That being said, for "relationship shows" I've enjoyed LoveCom, Honey
and Clover, REC, Nodame Cantabile, Lamune and a korean live dorama
called "Really Really Like You" (it's really called that). My wife and I are
suckers for this kind of stuff. I'm not sure why, I wasn't necessarily into
it when I was younger but perhaps as an adult I like seeing the nice
simplicity of first love. Or I'm just a big creampuff deep down.
Old 2007-07-20, 16:13   Link #1028
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Hmm, maybe I ought to give H&C another try. I dropped it after first ep because it didn't grab me and pull me in (and the OP weirded me out ).

[Insert shameless Hana Kimi live action recommendation here] "Harem" is used to describe a series in which there is one male surrounded by lots of girls; what is it called when there's one girl surrounded by guys?
Old 2007-07-20, 16:21   Link #1029
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Hmm, maybe I ought to give H&C another try. I dropped it after first ep because it didn't grab me and pull me in (and the OP weirded me out ).

[Insert shameless Hana Kimi live action recommendation here] "Harem" is used to describe a series in which there is one male surrounded by lots of girls; what is it called when there's one girl surrounded by guys?
It's called "Reverse Harem", ala L'Corda D'oro.
Old 2007-07-20, 16:33   Link #1030
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
what is it called when there's one girl surrounded by guys?
Reverse harem.

H&C. Well, I have it somewhere but I'm still stuck at ep 5 or so. Morita Shinobu was probably meant to come across funny but he annoyed the hell out of me already after 5 min screentime. And then Hanamoto "all our 90 cm tall love interests are gua-ran-te-ed to be of legal age" Hagumi ... I'm still planning to watch it some day because it's so insanely popular so there must be *something* about it, right? REC wasn't bad. My favorite couple is one that never was: Jinto and Lafiel.
Old 2007-07-20, 16:35   Link #1031
kauldron26
Med Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
Honey and Clover is perhaps more adult oriented with much less focus on
the humor aspects (even though they are there and some of them are
will make you laugh so hard your stomach hurts) where the major characters
are the students at an art college.

It was the first show where I saw anything remotely like real life
style relationships. While LoveCom has some of the very realistic
pangs and sighs of first love it has more slapstick humor whereas
the humorous moments in Honey and Clover are there to relieve
the sometimes heavy moods involved and some of them go for
long stretches as the characters do a lot of soul searching.

That being said, for "relationship shows" I've enjoyed LoveCom, Honey
and Clover, REC, Nodame Cantabile, Lamune and a korean live dorama
called "Really Really Like You" (it's really called that). My wife and I are
suckers for this kind of stuff. I'm not sure why, I wasn't necessarily into
it when I was younger but perhaps as an adult I like seeing the nice
simplicity of first love. Or I'm just a big creampuff deep down.
i agree however, nodame did not move me as much as h&c did. not even close. and thats y i didnt like it that much. way too much focus on music. but i highly recommend NANA. that effing blew me the hell away. far superior to h&c. come to think of it i think u and i had this debate already sometime last yr.
Old 2007-07-20, 16:57   Link #1032
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In H&C, I think I was just happy that I'd found a *college* setting comedy-romance-drama rather than 'yet another high school' that included a relative multitude of criscrossing relationships of various types.

Probably I'd have been less squicky about Hagumi's over-dolled looks if they hadn't made her blondehaired and blue-eyed ... but stories usually get told about UNusual people rather than average people so I got over that.
Morita spends so much time "not present" that he's kind of interesting when he does show up.

I never liked the OP visuals or the song but hey that's what the FF key is for. If you like Nodame Cantabile's style or Bokura ga Ita .... H&C is probably a tolerable cup of tea since they all came after it
Old 2007-07-20, 17:09   Link #1033
nanafan
horo fan

is Kanon 2006 considered a harem? it's off topic i know but was wondering. Yuichi was a pimp in that show with all those girls..lol

Old 2007-07-20, 17:24   Link #1034
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It was structurally a harem show... but in implementation, Kanon was more of a surreal mystery tale. It isn't necessary that he have 'picked' or gotten romantically entwined with *any* girl. The mystery was the center of the tale.

Many fans of the source (the software game) argue that solving the mystery of each girl and of the overall mystery is so key to the story that the H-scenes are a derail. The game and story has proven just as popular without them. You can find lengthy discussions and essays on it in the Kanon threads
Old 2007-07-20, 18:38   Link #1035
nanafan
horo fan

i see, so it's really only a harem if the guy picks one of the girls in the show? makes sense, rereading lovely complex vol.1...

Old 2007-07-20, 18:44   Link #1036
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Well... you can decide on that specification yourself, but IMO there does not necessarily have to be a girl picked in order for a series to be harem - just one guy surrounded by girls.
Old 2007-07-20, 18:47   Link #1037
nanafan
horo fan

true, kanon kinda had a harem going... at least how it was set up with yuichi knowing that many girls..lol i can't wait for the next love com ep..the suspense is killing me..

Old 2007-07-20, 19:39   Link #1038
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

The problem with the word "harem" is that it carries such a stigma these days that no one wants to throw the word at good anime. Hell, technically School Rumble and Full Metal Panic are harem. But you wouldn't say so if you were trying to recommend them to someone.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 03:07   Link #1039
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I haven't seen Bokura ga Ita, and that was mainly because I spent almost all of my time playing DotA. As for Kanon, however, I truly thought it was harem despite its seeming evocation of catharsis because it was just a harem that was more emotional (emo), at least for me. The thing with both Honey and Clover and Lovely Complex is that they have characters that are immensely likable; faulty and fragile they may be (sometimes even difficult to sympathize with), they possess that humanity that is reflective of real-life and are also good people in general.

I've heard that there were none of those people in Bokura ga Ita because it was noted by many people that most of the misfortune that happened to the people there were brought upon them by they themselves. Someone compared it to Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (one of my friends), and I don't like that: I don't like bathos. I like realism, but I abhor excessive and unnecessary bathos.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 03:32   Link #1040
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
The problem with the word "harem" is that it carries such a stigma these days that no one wants to throw the word at good anime. Hell, technically School Rumble and Full Metal Panic are harem. But you wouldn't say so if you were trying to recommend them to someone.
I don't think that there is a generally accepted definiton for "harem". But School Rumble? I can only see a hyper-dimensional network of triangles there. Harima a harem lead? Who's the harem then? Eri. Yakumo. That's about it. His intentions couldn't be any clearer, there are too many other (likable) male characters with much screen time, and too many girls that are indifferent towards him (including his target) or even despise him.

And I don't see harem being stigmatized. They are pretty popular. Yes, many people don't like them, but the same could be said about mecha or mahou shoujo.

Tags
comedy, romance