AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-09, 14:32   Link #41
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Watched ep 1 subbed (thanks to subbers).

The show is a bit bipolar but more 'real' about shinto folk-lore than Totoro in some ways (more like the Keltic Faerie ... where they can be lovable or scary as hell).

Really liked the background art... very nice for a broadcast series. The animation is a bit quirkier than Totoro (little Sis's expressions are just wild enough to break the 'reality' of the show). I'm not fond of Grandma's character design.... I think her eyes are too large and her head a bit too blocky. Grandpa isn't distracting but personality-wise he seems a humorless version of Moon Phase's master-gramps.

Found the musical scoring quite pleasant and well-integrated into the scenery.

I like the possibilities here but hopefully its not a "monster of the week" plot and a bit more like Kamichu! where they concealed that device a bit better.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 15:03   Link #42
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Yay for cute quaint little series. Rather unfortunate design on the thing that was after them though...All I kept thinking when I saw it was "It looks like an "illegal""

Hopefully that pesky thought won't be quite as obtrusive in future episodes assuming there going to keep with that look for that sort of thing?

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 15:28   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh.... yeah... when I saw the "illegals" the first thing I thought of was ... "Look.. electronic dust mote sprites!"
Old 2007-10-10, 08:04   Link #44
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 1

That was pretty good. Sure, it wasn't much to look at (which is surprising for a Madhouse anime) and it was really predictable, but I found it quite enjoyable. I tend to really enjoy slow anime, and I think they've got the pacing and mood to match the country setting just right. And this has Kawasumi Ayako in it as well, just as some icing on the cake.

I think Woland said it best, this is a much lighter version of Mushishi. I think this could be quite good.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 17:05   Link #45
FireChick

I saw ep 1 and it was cute! Love the opening song!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 18:53   Link #46
Nergy

Send a message via MSN to Nergy Send a message via Yahoo to Nergy
I'm not really too impressed, the animation and character design is pretty bland. It seemed pretty rigid and their wasn't enough to the concept of the show to keep me interested. If they maybe went a little deeper on what they were trying to do, i'd be more interested.
Nergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 19:10   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, ep 1 had a predictable climax (you knew that lil'sis would be compelled to "go up the stairway in the dark empty house") .... actually I was impressed the climax was as mild as it was.

To some extent I felt like the episode struggled to find its legs a bit. Beautiful backgrounds and BGM, neat character design and animation of the sisters --- but the other characters and the story thread seemed to need work. I'm hoping episode two is more typical ("imaginary friends" ala Shinto animism), and hope it is more difficult to see where it is going.

I've not looked to see when this show airs. Is it directed at younger teens rather than "20-somethings"?
Old 2007-10-11, 21:31   Link #48
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

OK, the first episode was predictable as...some thing very predictable but I liked the atmosphere which both pastoral and somewhat creepy. The background close to the end when the sun was setting was quite beautiful. Mizuki Nana seems to have a knack of playing slightly (or not so slightly) spoiled characters.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 04:08   Link #49
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I dunno what to make of this. The family members and there interactions looked a bit too clean and sterile to me. Maybe I'm demanding too much from a first episode.
Old 2007-10-12, 21:51   Link #50
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Interesting...
Though the characters or plot haven't yet gabbed me, but this is just the first episode so we'll see.
kevin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 21:53   Link #51
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, ep 1 had a predictable climax (you knew that lil'sis would be compelled to "go up the stairway in the dark empty house") .... actually I was impressed the climax was as mild as it was.

To some extent I felt like the episode struggled to find its legs a bit. Beautiful backgrounds and BGM, neat character design and animation of the sisters --- but the other characters and the story thread seemed to need work. I'm hoping episode two is more typical ("imaginary friends" ala Shinto animism), and hope it is more difficult to see where it is going.

I've not looked to see when this show airs. Is it directed at younger teens rather than "20-somethings"?
According to: http://www.fansubwiki.com/

It aired at 10/02 26:43, which is 2:43am wendsday.
kevin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 14:24   Link #52
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Ep two was a heart-warming fable about imaginery friends vs real friends. Very sweet and uplifting if you're comfortable with innocent and slightly niave notions in yer anime. Nana Mizuki was great in this ep, she really did an excellent job with Mizuki's emotional ups and downs.

I can't understand why this is on at some ungodly hour. Surely it could have found it's way on to a more kid friendly slot. I mean it's got nothing even remotely offensive or suggestive in it...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 17:53   Link #53
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 2 ~
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 12:41   Link #54
Omfgbbqwtf

Just finished Ep.1, a but slow but.. it is certainly a nice anime. I havn't watch a anime like this since... Totoro (sp?). The OP is awsome, probably one of the better ones I have heard in recent anime. I will keep it on my "list of anime to watch"
Omfgbbqwtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 15:11   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Ep two was a heart-warming fable about imaginery friends vs real friends. Very sweet and uplifting if you're comfortable with innocent and slightly niave notions in yer anime. Nana Mizuki was great in this ep, she really did an excellent job with Mizuki's emotional ups and downs.

I can't understand why this is on at some ungodly hour. Surely it could have found it's way on to a more kid friendly slot. I mean it's got nothing even remotely offensive or suggestive in it...
aye, its looks (so far) like they mistargeted the audience most likely to get excited by this in Japan.
Old 2007-10-18, 07:38   Link #56
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Illegals are being hired to appear into other anime as well!

Hmm... A bit indecisive about this one. It's got a nice heartfelt feeling to it (and lovely piano BGM) but something is lacking and I'm not sure what it is. I'll give it a few more episodes and decide whether to take it up or drop it.
Old 2007-10-18, 09:56   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, I was originally very excited about this series..... but it does seem to lack some sort of "heart" for lack of a better word. Its back on my tentative list given the other series that have surprised me into spending more time with them. I've been browsing for a good 'spiritual' anime since Kamichu! with little luck.
Old 2007-10-19, 19:56   Link #58
jtrog

The fine detail pictures in the flower book looked really good. I thought it was really cute in ep1 how she went through the ordeals to collect the flowers for the harvest moon time, almost like a Real Life ps2 video game.
Old 2007-10-20, 08:47   Link #59
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Just saw the second subbed episode and it was better than the first. Maybe because the family had less screen time. I doubt that it will stay that way however since it's supposed to be a story about two sisters if the synopsis isn't misleading. I hope they'll give Shizuru at least some depth beyond being the perfect onee-san. Second problem is that the anime is a bit too educational. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to take notes or something.

All in all I'm a bit disappointed but that's probably just because my expectations were higher. So far this anime is nowhere near the top of my "to be dropped" list.
Old 2007-10-20, 10:34   Link #60
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I like this series and its probably because i came into this not knowing what i am getting

ep 3
Spoiler:

and it seems like this is another soundtrack i will be egarly waiting for

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote