AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-10-23, 10:49   Link #61
Dop
We can't stop here...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Spoiler for Episode 2:


Lots of people have commented on light similarities to Mushishi, but I also keep getting reminded of Binbou Shimai Monogatari.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 12:30   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Just saw the second subbed episode and it was better than the first. Maybe because the family had less screen time. I doubt that it will stay that way however since it's supposed to be a story about two sisters if the synopsis isn't misleading. I hope they'll give Shizuru at least some depth beyond being the perfect onee-san. Second problem is that the anime is a bit too educational. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to take notes or something.

All in all I'm a bit disappointed but that's probably just because my expectations were higher. So far this anime is nowhere near the top of my "to be dropped" list.
aye, I'm having trouble wanting to fire up the latest episode ... the grandparents are really making it a bit hard to get excited, and not because they're *there* but because the character designs themselves are annoying. So far, its the younger sister's frequent animated facial deformations that keep my interest since, as you say, Shizuru is just a model citizen.
It does seem a bit documentary-ish (Pokemon type exposition echoes?). Kamichu! was a bit better at just letting the supernatural *be*. Maybe someone decided the Old Myths were falling into limbo and education was needed
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 05:16   Link #63
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Ep 2

Damn this show is cute. Not much to comment on, though. I think I'm enjoying this anime because it's my "something different" series for the season, more than anything else. That's probably the best way to put it for now.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 11:44   Link #64
Woland
Latin Rascal
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Italy
After the second episode I have to say... this is not quite what I was expecting.
The episode is based on the third chapter of the original manga and, as the first one, has some significant difference respect the original. If I usually tend to like when an adaptation take a different route from the original (indeed I tend to drop early the anime of the manga I've read, even when they're good, if too similar), I'm not too fond of the changes so far. Too much simplifications, not that all the long explanations about youkai are essential to the story (especially in a format like an Anime), but a lot of other thing seem to have toned down a bit too much. Too much sugar! Who is this Mizuki? So cute and dependent of her sister I can barely stand her. Her relationship with Shizuru is more natural and "equal" (and she is more the rascal type). It's really not a good thing that the show remember Bimbou Shimai Monogatari -__-.

I fear I can't just watch a series for a VA and the beautiful scenery (I just have to hope for a restart of Mokke's serialization in my country).
__________________
Under Construction...
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 12:33   Link #65
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portugal
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Spoiler for Episode 2:


Lots of people have commented on light similarities to Mushishi, but I also keep getting reminded of Binbou Shimai Monogatari.
I would say that, it has some slights similarities with Mushishi, Denno Coil and My Neighbour Totoro.

Nevertheless, promising show.
__________________
ragnarokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-27, 23:32   Link #66
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
I am watching this show and I am up to episode four. Unlike CLANNAD, my Japanese here isn't even remotely up to the necessary level, so I'm waiting for the subs. Nevertheless, I am through fully enjoying this. A lot. As mentioned ealier, you can think of this as Binbou Shimai Monogatari meets Mushishi, meets Figure 17. A really endearing and scenario rich series, with fairly realistic characters, and quite a nice depiction of Japanese traditional folklore. Highly recommended.

Quote:
I'm not too fond of the changes so far. Too much simplifications, not that all the long explanations about youkai are essential to the story (especially in a format like an Anime), but a lot of other thing seem to have toned down a bit too much. Too much sugar! Who is this Mizuki? So cute and dependent of her sister I can barely stand her. Her relationship with Shizuru is more natural and "equal" (and she is more the rascal type). It's really not a good thing that the show remember Bimbou Shimai Monogatari -__-.
Really? I get more the feeling that they are going the show rather than explain route. Which isn't a bad thing by itself, people who are interested will do a little research by themselves, so the animation can concentrate on the overall feeling instead of spending precious minutes on lenghty explanation that can be found, for example, in the manga. And I am a Binbou Shima Monogatari lover myself, so I experience the exact opposite feeling when realizing the parallels
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 16:32   Link #67
SATAN
Forged in christian blood
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 74
Send a message via MSN to SATAN
It's an outrage to even mention this *show* in the same sentence as Mushishi.

Last edited by monir; 2007-11-01 at 20:26. Reason: *show* sounds better than "crap!" Besides, one must show sensitivity to fans who are enjoying the show. :P
SATAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 20:13   Link #68
jinalbert
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I think it's a pretty enjoyable series. Not very flashy or dramatic. But I guess, this is more of a learning-lesson anime. The ghost is like a problem in our own lives.
jinalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 02:17   Link #69
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Just got around to watching Mokke. I polished off the first 6 episodes in a single viewing. It's just a wonderful show. I've always had a soft spot of good slice of life anime. I also love shows that use Japanese folklore or otherwise add magic into a modern setting. It goes without saying that I find it delightful to see a folklore based slice of life show.

On top of that, the characters are interesting, the story is well paced and the scenery of rural Japan is well drawn. Yup, I'm going to hope this show lasts as long as possible.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 04:04   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
NSW's points pretty much match mine positive points for the series plus its almost instructional as jinalbert says ... I can't quite put my finger on what bothers me about the show though ... I do know the grandparents seem "off" somehow <shrug> ah well, I'm still watching.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 04:28   Link #71
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
the grandparents are really making it a bit hard to get excited, and not because they're *there* but because the character designs themselves are annoying.
The only think that comes to my attention as "off" about their character designs is grandpa's hair. It's rather weird looking.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 04:04   Link #72
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 7 has been subbed :3
Spoiler:
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 22:13   Link #73
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Another good episode. It is noce to see some character growth from Mizuki, confronting minor spirits instead of relying on her sister or grandpa's help. As usual, a nice and relaxing episode.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 15:24   Link #74
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Slow subs, but I'm still following this ^^
ep 8
Spoiler:

On another note. The full OP song is just beautiful! (just as expected ).
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 23:27   Link #75
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Slow subs, but I'm still following this ^^
ep 8
Spoiler:

On another note. The full OP song is just beautiful! (just as expected ).
I thought the moral of this story was: buy a digital camera. At least if you break it somehow, you could probably still salvage the memory stick. And, hell, most are made fairly shock proof these days, so they're not easy to break.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-16, 15:42   Link #76
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I thought the moral of this story was: buy a digital camera. At least if you break it somehow, you could probably still salvage the memory stick. And, hell, most are made fairly shock proof these days, so they're not easy to break.
I don't know if such things exist in that area
But for fashion's sake she likes it retro

ep 9 has been subbed recently...
Spoiler:
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-16, 15:53   Link #77
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
I thought it was more on the lines of getting to deep into anything can backslash of you, since you lose sight of other important things around you, and you lose perspective of the very subject you are interested in. aka it is good to pause and look around once in a while
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 15:54   Link #78
FireChick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I've seen 4 episodes subbed and I need to catch up. The show's really cute and sweet. Shizuru is cool, Mizuki is cute and the opening is just so addicting! In fact, I'm listening to it right now! Oh! What I like most about it is that it doesn't have any of that messed up "fan-service" that everyone likes. That's great because there haven't been many children's anime lately. Mokke seems like a children's anime.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 20:46   Link #79
Jiji
Senior Member
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Age: 48
I by no means wish to say "you're wrong!", b/c your feeling about the anime is just as valid as anyone's. But I did want to point out that it's interesting you feel that way since Mokke runs in a seinen magazine, Afternoon (Kodansha). Now that the semester's over, maybe I can finally watch more than ep 1 of this. sigh...
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 12:32   Link #80
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Up to Mokke 12 have been released by SubsAnon. Really, this series is just endearing to say the least. A nice, peaceful exploration through some aspects of Japanese traditional folklore mixed with a Japanese rural settings and a peaceful, overall calm environment coupled with very likable main characters makes me wonder why this series isn't getting attention from the slice of life lovers crew
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.