AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

Old 2008-03-05, 07:11   Link #201
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

CLANNAD is not an eroge, so no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Anyone have a clue who will be picking up the fansub's of the DVD when it is released?
Rest assured that it WILL be subbed. Does it really matter who?
Old 2008-03-05, 07:30   Link #202
ZhangKhaiEn
張凱恩

True. And while there are the.. um.. "strange" subbers there who sometimes invent things, I haven't heard of any of CLANNAD's subbers having this tarnished repuation.

Me? I'll stick to Sumisora, thank you. >_>
ZhangKhaiEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 08:40   Link #203
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Does it really matter who?
Sometimes it does, when you have certain translation preferences, when you prefer series translated by people who have knowledge of the original material, or when you like certain groups encodings. Each group has its advantadges
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 12:49   Link #204
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan View Post
Sometimes it does, when you have certain translation preferences, when you prefer series translated by people who have knowledge of the original material, or when you like certain groups encodings. Each group has its advantadges
Well, the average leecher won't really care too much about this. Most don't know the difference between encoding formats and don't know enough Japanese to judge translation.

Anyway, I'm almost positive there is going to be more than one group subbing this, those who can make that distinction, will.

Last edited by tripperazn; 2008-03-05 at 20:07.
tripperazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-07, 11:03   Link #205
Komori
D:

Lols.
Komori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-07, 16:04   Link #206
Flame-X
Anti-fan

half the movie made me LOL
the character designs are tolerable enough to watch.

Last edited by Flame-X; 2008-03-07 at 16:37.
Flame-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-07, 18:45   Link #207
boggart
鍵っ子

I like Nagisa's chin in the movie version
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-07, 20:12   Link #208
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Okay... I might need some time to "vent" out what i saw but huh...

To be quite honest, I wanted to drop the movie right after the first 5 minutes. After 30 minutes, I wonder if the scripters just paied Key to borrow their characters without much to do alongside.
So far, the scripters mangled atrociously all the characters so much that they only have "vague" ressemblance with their appearance (quite an atrocious design, especially for a 2007 production, imo) and their name. Aside of it, nothing. The sole exception might be youhei, but aside of that, I can't "recognize" these vibrant characters from the game or so. (one dimensional "kind" nagisa, without any flaw to create the development, Taikwondo Kouko, Vindicative Tomoyo and her supporter Kyou, etc).

I didn't expect much (especially that chemistry/development are hardly possible with such time constraint), but they seriously waste an incredible amount of budget and time in irrevelant and useless scenes/details (the supposed "funny" violent parts and exagerated sequences were lame).

My first impressions are extremely bad to the point i can't even laugh at it... Will edit/post up more after finishing/rewatching that, but it is reaching the "zero exceptation" so far with no praise (oh, maybe the lense flare effects).
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-07, 20:33   Link #209
boggart
鍵っ子

DAMN THAT LENS FLARE! LOL... I still stand by my initial thoughts and will probably have to squint or wear sunglasses for the entirety of the movie...
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-07, 20:34   Link #210
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

I think I've grown attached to to KyoAni style of the Key Chara.... I was... almost shocked when I started watching the movie... I actually did stop... and just skimmd through it.. I dont know.

I'll try again later. I guess part of me wonders how you could put a 300+ hour game in 2 hours....
Old 2008-03-07, 21:40   Link #211
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by todkapuz View Post
I think I've grown attached to to KyoAni style of the Key Chara.... I was... almost shocked when I started watching the movie... I actually did stop... and just skimmd through it.. I dont know.
Well, I was like that as well when i saw the magazine scans of it before, but it can't be helped. (it isn't the worst, but sure the designer of the movie didn't have much talent in such things, same goes for the colors). *sigh* why didn't they do like Air Movie?
Quote:
I'll try again later. I guess part of me wonders how you could put a 300+ hour game in 2 hours....
They simply didn't (well they "did" kinda)

After watching this movie, I can hereby grant it:
5.5/10 on a "neutral" point of view, and a whooping 3/10 as a clannad fan.

Seriously, I didn't start much with expectations for the movie, along with aknowledged circumstance (cramping over 80 hours worthing of events in ony 2 mere hours isn't exactly a field trip).
However, even with that mindset, the movie managed to disappoint me.

First, on a technical aspect, the movie is sure... pretty much poor. The animation is simply very whacky at moments. The design itself is subjective, while it stays constant. The BG meanwhile, are nice enough, though, as mentioned already, they are utterly cluttered by LENS FLARE!!! effects and sakura petals (they literally flood the screen at the start).
Visually, the movie isn't impressive at all. if i put my personal preferences of the design aside, I would still think that Clannad anime has a much better demonstration of quality in both animation and visual points, which is quite ironic considering the higher budget and focus for the movie

This could be enough, but the visual were hardly flattered with that insane execution with the camera. it is often static or moving on curve direction which give hard possibility to focus. What is worse is when the camera is switching several time from one point to another repeatedly (see Nagisa's and Tomoya's first discussion).
The execution goes even whackier with some odd choices (such like doubling, tripling a scene...) along with a very uninspiring OST (sounds extremely old).

But what is actually the biggest issue is how the characters are hardly giving a substancial content. Leaving the comparison aside, most characters are simply shallow, void of true "involvement" or logical interactions with Tomoya. Either they appear for a short while, or they pop out of the blue which is hardly convincing.
The plot suffers a lot because of it, as the pace is completely erratic, with dragged phase at first, then a rush of many years in mere 20 minutes (i swear, they started and concluded AS in 10-15 MINUTES).

That is the reason why the movie is hardly touching or giving much a story to tell for any "newbie". But this is a true insult to any fan (i can't imagine for fanboys ), as it is hardly recognizable from the original material.
I must admit I was expecting another "view" of AS, with a "bittersweet" end for it, but no, it isn't even remotely close that kind of wish.

Spoiler for Movie content, some rant on the characters:

Mediocre and disappointing.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-03-07 at 22:02.
Old 2008-03-07, 22:17   Link #212
velocity7

http://naomi.thewafflehouse.net/blog...-movie-review/

Non-spoiler review.

And yes I agree, Klashikari, 10-15 minute conclusion. What the hell.
Old 2008-03-07, 23:14   Link #213
ZhangKhaiEn
張凱恩

And not only that, but Nagisa's ahoge is so THICK. >_<;;
ZhangKhaiEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-07, 23:37   Link #214
Flame-X
Anti-fan

at least there wasnt any fuuko in the movie
Old 2008-03-08, 00:04   Link #215
FCS-31

This sence is enough for me.....really.....

Spoiler:

I hope I can see this in TV...but......
FCS-31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 05:32   Link #216
Invi
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCS-31 View Post
This sence is enough for me.....really.....

Spoiler:

I hope I can see this in TV...but......
I don't think so. But yeah I liked this scene.
Old 2008-03-08, 05:34   Link #217
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

This is probably the only "good" points the movie can offer, along with some changes in AS (like the gang during AS, though the short span and the utter lakc of development for such situation hurt a LOT).

That is to say, we might expect a Anime Bride Nagisa as a magazine scan as a compensation
(but considering the game, there is no chance for that happening, except if KA decide to make some changes, which wouldn't hurt either).
Old 2008-03-08, 05:47   Link #218
serenade_beta
マジ天使

I agree that it was a pretty disappointing movie... but I still cried a bit in the end... >_<...
At least I got to see Youhei in another hair color (real hair color is... the future one?)

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 05:56   Link #219
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
At least I got to see Youhei in another hair color (real hair color is... the future one?)
Yes, Youhei's natural hair color is Black/Grayish.

Here is how he looks like in the game:
Old 2008-03-08, 06:00   Link #220
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Yes, Youhei's hair natural color is Black/Grayish.

Here is how he looks like in the game:
Oh~, I see. Thanks.

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, movie, romance, school life, seinen, toei