AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-02-27, 17:47   Link #21
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Yes, reworking the entire hair. Since you are modifying it why not go for a complete change.
This is the solution that seems more practical at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
You really don't need that thick of an outline. The way some people used outline varies in the thickness depending on the area. Sometimes the shading is more powerful than the outline.
This almost sounds (probably is) like the shape layers method. I do plan on moving to this technique at some point; Though as it stands now, I find it a little difficult to master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Well by all means, if your happy with it and it's your style don't let anyone including me stand in your way.
Eventhough I can be stubborn in a way only mexicans can be, I still find your suggestions very interesting. I will take them into acount in the future (or at the very least, try to)

Thanks for the feedback. It really means a lot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i0td View Post
Hehe. One of my favorites since I first saw it in your signature . Everything is spectacular. Keep up the great work.
Thanks for the comment.

I'll try to have my next trace ready before the first week of the next months ends.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 20:33   Link #22
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Thanks for the feedback. It really means a lot.
Sure no problem. Glad I could be of an assistance. So when are you planning to post more traces.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 21:14   Link #23
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Sure no problem. Glad I could be of an assistance. So when are you planning to post more traces.
Oh, I already posted a new one in the Shuffle image thread.

It's part 1 of a 3 phase project, so I am holding the update here until I can get the whole thing complete. This are the traces I mentioned a few posts back when I said "Too late to changes the curved hair now" by the way.

As for the trace posted.............

I wanted to try some effects, (like in my sig) but I could never get them to work right on the trace; So right now, I am hoping to be able to include something more fancy in the final version instead of the RAW traces that I have been doing until now.

I think I can have something ready (part 2) in a week or so.

EDIT:

OK, I was finally able to improve the Asa trace. Two versions are now posted in the Shuffle image thread for comparison sake. >_< !!
__________________

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2007-03-05 at 01:20.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 12:48   Link #24
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post

OK, I was finally able to improve the Asa trace. Two versions are now posted in the Shuffle image thread for comparison sake. >_< !!
Sadly I only visit the Games, Fan Creations, and General Chats sections. Tooooooo much work to search out the Shuffle image thread.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 18:05   Link #25
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
I had seen your traces before Daniel E in Bleach SubSection . I didnt know a thread exsisted for them . One word to describe your traces Awesome , kudos dude great job
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 03:04   Link #26
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The European Bunion
Age: 35
That's some really nice work there Daniel It seems you use a similar method to me, with the Pen tool? I have to ask: How do you get your outlines so smooth and non-jaggy? It's bugging me considerably that mine turn out jaggy, likely due to the way I do it.
__________________
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 03:29   Link #27
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Sadly I only visit the Games, Fan Creations, and General Chats sections. Tooooooo much work to search out the Shuffle image thread.
Oh sorry about that. Everything will be posted here soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
I had seen your traces before Daniel E in Bleach SubSection . I didnt know a thread exsisted for them . One word to describe your traces Awesome , kudos dude great job
Thanks for the comment. I am actually quite proud of that Bleach trace; It's the closest I have ever come to trace something hentai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
That's some really nice work there Daniel It seems you use a similar method to me, with the Pen tool? I have to ask: How do you get your outlines so smooth and non-jaggy? It's bugging me considerably that mine turn out jaggy, likely due to the way I do it.
I use the "paths method" for my traces (Photoshop CS).

Here's the tracing guide I used when I started doing this.

Though to be honest, most people prefer the Shape layers method.

Both guides assume you are already very skilled with the pen tool. I got most of my practice doing extractions for sigs, so you may try that as well (in case you never used the tool before). This are also very slow and time comsuming methods. A single trace can easily take you days, sometimes weeks to make.

At the very least, that's how much time it takes me to make one.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 04:05   Link #28
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The European Bunion
Age: 35
Strange, he does it the same as I do, tracing then stroking the paths, yet mine come out strangely jaggy instead of smooth. Hmm... guess I should experiment with shape layers instead. It's not like I'm a photoshop noob (been using it for a long time, but for textures and skins which are rather different to traces like these) but I'm certainly pretty new to the whole vectors/ traces thing

Thanks for the links Dan, they'll come in handy no doubt I'll try and remember to rep you for that when I've spread it around a bit (haven't really been active here much recently, need to catch up.)
__________________
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 20:31   Link #29
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Well, it's hardly the whole thing, but I feel it's about damn time I post something new here.

--> Ver. 2

The one on the left is the usual thing; No effects whatsoever, just a simple trace pasted in a background. The one on the right is my first try at giving the trace a different feel (read: a more smooth feel).

I really like how the second one turned out, but I am mostly fooling around with the options at the moment. The second girl is almost complete and will look similar to Asa here.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 22:16   Link #30
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
Ver 1 and Ver 2 both look splendid hats off to you . Being a Bleach Otaku I would love to see more Bleach traces from you , curious to see what you can conjure up next
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-10, 00:04   Link #31
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
They're both exactly the same except one is more richer in colors. I love the shine of her eyes in V1 but I also love the softness of the outline and image in V2. Well that's just me, good job.

Still doing the curve I see. It's ok, nothing against it.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-10, 01:26   Link #32
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Ver 1 and Ver 2 both look splendid hats off to you . Being a Bleach Otaku I would love to see more Bleach traces from you , curious to see what you can conjure up next
That Bleach trace was sourced from a Tony Taka drawing. I remember seeing a Matsumoto one as well, but I haven't checked his site in a while to see if he has any more Bleach works.

But, to tell you the truth, I dont have a clue about what to do next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
They're both exactly the same except one is more richer in colors. I love the shine of her eyes in V1 but I also love the softness of the outline and image in V2. Well that's just me, good job..
Yes, the change is minimal; The effect is pretty much a soft blur with increased color to make the lines look a little less rough. I have never fooled around with the layer blending options before, so I am gonna take it slow and see what happens with the next few traces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Still doing the curve I see. It's ok, nothing against it.
This trace (and the next one) were already made by the time you first mentioned the curves on the hair. So I'll have to wait until the next work to really get your suggestion into motion. I could actually try ditching the black outlines and the hair cuts all in one blow.

Still need to post the Kaede one and make the wallpaper with the two girls though. >_< !
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-10, 03:57   Link #33
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The European Bunion
Age: 35
Hmm, I like the original Asa trace. However, i'm not fond of the second one, the blur destroys the definition of the image and to me that's a bad thing. Rather than simply blurring the image, try adding new layers and using very slightly varied tones to brush over the original tones to give some subtle shading and highlighting, much like a cg. Personally, I avoid filters as much as possible as they can tend to cheapen an image/skin/texture/whatever.

An alternative method for shading and highlighting (my less preferred method) is adding a new layer with blending set to Multiply or Color Burn and darkening the base tone a little, then paint in the darker shades by 'burning' over the base layer. Then add another new layer using Color Dodge, and add highlights using a lighter tone. It's a quick and simple way, and not one I like to use much, but it does the job

Of course, using a tablet is a good idea as it gives you much better control than any mouse could give. Depends how serious you want to get I guess.

Good work as always
__________________
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-10, 14:09   Link #34
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
Hmm, I like the original Asa trace. However, i'm not fond of the second one, the blur destroys the definition of the image and to me that's a bad thing. Rather than simply blurring the image, try adding new layers and using very slightly varied tones to brush over the original tones to give some subtle shading and highlighting, much like a cg. Personally, I avoid filters as much as possible as they can tend to cheapen an image/skin/texture/whatever.
If you didn't like the second one, there's a chance other people may feel the same way too. I wasn't planning on posting two versions of this trace, but what the heck, better to keep both bases covered.

-->

And here are the souce pics as well....




Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
An alternative method for shading and highlighting (my less preferred method) is adding a new layer with blending set to Multiply or Color Burn and darkening the base tone a little, then paint in the darker shades by 'burning' over the base layer. Then add another new layer using Color Dodge, and add highlights using a lighter tone. It's a quick and simple way, and not one I like to use much, but it does the job
I'll certainly keep both of your suggestions in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
Of course, using a tablet is a good idea as it gives you much better control than any mouse could give. Depends how serious you want to get I guess.

Good work as always
A part of me wants to get better at this, while the other one doesn't want to take it too seriously.... That's kinda strange when you think about it.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback (to all of you)
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 22:51   Link #35
Reanimator
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Man... DRAW!!! Tracing won't take you anywhere. If you make a mistake, it happens. Even Hayao Miyazaki made mistakes on his works, and all he could said was "Shimata!!"
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 01:13   Link #36
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimator View Post
Man... DRAW!!! Tracing won't take you anywhere. If you make a mistake, it happens. Even Hayao Miyazaki made mistakes on his works, and all he could said was "Shimata!!"
Well, I am not exactly trying to go anywhere with this you know.

This is just something I do for the fun and heck of it. (sometimes, I simply do it to kill some time )

Thanks for posting.
__________________

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2007-03-12 at 02:33.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 09:27   Link #37
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
@Reanimator

No sense of compassion for other people hobbies.

Some like to draw over trace and vice versa.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 12:13   Link #38
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Here's the wallpaper versions I somehow forgot to post.

__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 11:24   Link #39
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Woo-hoo! +1000 views already.

Thanks everyone!!

Anyway, here's something new:



There's not a single bit of black in this trace; No black outlines or black color whatsoever.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 11:37   Link #40
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
hohoho, you improved a lot for the hair rendering
by the way, is she an original character? she reminds me a bit of a mikuru fanart.

meh, nothing to criticize, except maybe the BG (in fact, the color doesn't give a good contrast)... but seriously, great job here

if only i could give you a cookie ~~ (damn the 10 cookies limit)
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
traces

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.