AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-25, 12:52   Link #1
Wyrdwad

Character on a long journey?

Anyone have any recommendations for anime where a character is on a long journey across an entire continent/planet/universe, in search of something? I'm specifically thinking of great shows like Ashita no Nadja, Snow Queen, Secret of Cerulean Sand, and to some extent Galaxy Express 999. The closer in feel to Ashita no Nadja, though, the better, as that's one of my current favorites.

Thanks!

-Tom
Old 2007-02-25, 13:10   Link #2
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Tsubasa Chronicle + Tsubasa Chronicle 2
Erementar Gerad
Fullmetal Alchemist

...to some extent Last Exile, The Third and Scrapped Princess
Old 2007-02-25, 13:32   Link #3
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I can think of these 6 animes . Saiyuki is a must see it has lot of travelling action and Adevnture

* Saiyuki Saiyuki Reload and Saiyuki Reload Gunlock - Lot of action Journey from China to India

* Cooking Master Boy - Action Adventure Cooking fun show

* One Peice - Sea faring Action / Adventure

* Hunter X Hunter - Adventure Action whole lot of Travelling
Old 2007-02-25, 16:40   Link #4
Wyrdwad

Hmmm... Tsubasa Chronicle sounds quite good. I'll have to try that one next.

Thanks for the recommendations!

-Tom
Old 2007-02-25, 17:01   Link #5
4Tran

The obvious choice for traveling anime is Kino's Journey. While Kino isn't looking for anything in particular, it's very much about exploring different places and different viewpoints.
Old 2007-02-25, 21:50   Link #6
Wyrdwad

Forgot about that one, yeah. Kino's Journey is a great show. As is Mushishi, which was obviously inspired by it.

-Tom
Old 2007-02-26, 01:39   Link #7
domino
デレデレ

Seconding the recommendation for Kino no Tabi.
As far as epics go, though, Basara is my favorite. However, that anime is only 13 episodes long and BARELY touched on the hero's long journey (the anime covers barely 4~5 volumes of the 28-volume epic) to find swords, an army, and a revolution. Epic stories are so hard to do right, and they don't usually adapt to anime well because they're just so long...
Old 2007-02-26, 06:34   Link #8
Wyrdwad

Yeah, I know what you mean. Even some of the higher-rated adventure stories, like Secret of Cerulean Sand, don't quite manage to live up to their potential. Really, the best I've ever seen have been Future Boy Conan and Ashita no Nadja.

-Tom
Old 2007-02-26, 11:44   Link #9
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Those Who Hunt Elves. It's quite old, but funny.
Old 2007-02-26, 22:27   Link #10
Wyrdwad

You know, I've been debating picking that one up for a while. Maybe I should... I think I'd probably enjoy it!

-Tom
Old 2007-02-28, 15:28   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Saiyuki is a must see it has lot of travelling action and Adevnture

* Saiyuki Saiyuki Reload and Saiyuki Reload Gunlock - Lot of action Journey from China to India
i second Saiyuki =D it has a long runt ime, 3 series and a movie is being released this year as well
Old 2007-03-01, 00:59   Link #12
Sazelyt
F i n

Inuyasha - a quite long story, main characters usually in search for something (good or evil), although they travel and then go back to where they belong...

Mushishi - he travels in Japan in search for ghosts or things of related nature...

Monster - another journey man (although mostly local), in search for some answers...

Probably, Trigun, Wolf's Rain, Rave, and Shaman King can be also considered similar to what you asked, as adventure stories.
Old 2007-03-01, 01:39   Link #13
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Wolf's Rain is in a true sense a journey . A journey literally and of self discovery . If you are looking for travel based/journey oriented anime Wolfs Rain is a must see
Old 2009-06-16, 23:19   Link #14
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

*bump for more suggestions, if any*

After watching Wolf's Rain (and feeling like I wanted to just give everyone a hug and some eggrolls and a Corona ), I feel like watching more titles where the characters take a long journey.

"Journey" may be too broad, as it seems you don't necessarily need to be walking with a duffel bag to be on a journey, but I would prefer that the settings change as the character travels along.
Old 2009-06-16, 23:56   Link #15
Anitero
Ultra Drill

Here are some older ones in case you haven't seen them:

Trigun
Crest of the Stars
Vandread (S1 and S2)
Gun x Sword
Old 2009-06-17, 00:07   Link #16
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

^^Thanks for the suggestions ^__^, I don't think I have heard or seen Gun x Sword, so I'll def. go check that one out!

Also, I see that Spice and Wolf has not been listed -- I have yet to come across a sweeter title. Lawrence is a great leading man, and I cannot say enough about Horo. Anything along the lines of Spice & Wolf would also be fantastic.
Old 2009-06-17, 00:16   Link #17
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
*bump for more suggestions, if any*
Have you tried Eureka 7?

Boy meets girl. Boy flies away with girl on an epic adventure that will change the world. Classic premise, magnificent execution. You couldn't get closer to the request than that. Moreover, since their traveling home base is a giant plane, and his favorite weapon is a skyboarding mecha, there's lots and lots of open, beautiful skies to emphasize the epic journey aspect.
Old 2009-06-17, 00:36   Link #18
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

^^I absolutely love Eureka 7! I think one of the elements I enjoy most about titles involving journeys is the growth of the character.

I loved seeing Renton gain the respect and love of his crew, the way Toboe in Wolf's Rain(sniff snif ) did *fondly remembers Toboe's first kill* .

The only qualm I have though: is it E-rik-a or U-reek-a?
Old 2009-06-17, 13:51   Link #19
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
After watching Wolf's Rain (and feeling like I wanted to just give everyone a hug and some eggrolls and a Corona ), I feel like watching more titles where the characters take a long journey..
Yeah Wold Rain OVAs are frustrating and clinically depressing =/ Probably a cheap stunt to generate viewer ratings and sales . Something that has the same maturity and emotionally complexity as Wolf's Rain would be

Quote:
* Mushishi : Is about a person who is a magnet for paranormal creatures called Mushi . Its about the character ' Ginko' journey acting like a shaman getting rid of various aliments created by Mushi . Its indirectly an journey of self discovery and biographical . The show has its own lazy pace which needs getting used to , but after one or two episodes you will drawn into it . The other high lights of this anime is the background score and art . The art is truly magnificent the anime deals with supernatural, adventure and slice of life .

* Seirei No Moribito : It follows the accounts of Balsa who is on a journey of self atonement . During one of her travels she ends up saving a prince, who is targeted by his own father for ritual sacrifice . Together these two, escaping the royal army end up going on a journey . The prince's death is necessary to avoid drought and famine , the mystery deepens as there is more to the prince than first assumed . Balsa on the other hand basically discovers her softer side and recollects her childhood where she too had gone through a similar ordeal . This is an adaptation from the Gaurdian series and genre is action, adventure.

Most of the other shows mentioned in my previous posts somewhat lack deep emotional involvement and complexity .

- Saiyuki : More so an action adventure comedy .Characters though deep and multifaceted the show needs serious investment of time . As it officially spans 3 seasons roughly 100 episodes and official OVA . And its still not resolved as the manga is ongoing .

- Those Who Hunt Elves : Funny and amusing but lacks emotional investemnt you are looking for .

GunXSword : Fits the bill , its reverse KillXBill / Spaghetti Western / Mechas ... I enjoyed this show immensely but not all that serious and the focus is primarily on Mechas. .

Old 2009-06-17, 15:06   Link #20
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
The only qualm I have though: is it E-rik-a or U-reek-a?
It's Eureka the transliterative way -- i.e. not the modern "Europe" Eu- way, but with separate sounds E-u-re-ka each.

Anyway, glad you've seen it. Great taste!

I can perhaps make another recommendation not already mentioned in this thread, if you'd like: Noein.

The problem with Noein is, it's not an anime about a journey -- the small town main setting is used throughout just about all episodes, though the characters (some of them) do travel around a lot through the, ah, "dimensions." Any more said on this account would be spoilers.

However, I find Noein remarkably similar to Eureka 7 on many accounts, some of which correlate quite well to why you liked the latter:

- True love. Just, true love. The same way Renton and Eureka are meant for each other, across time, space, worlds, remakes, obstacles, and anything and everything.
- A petite main female lead with short hair and great inner strength. More importantly, they're among my most favorite female characters ever.
- Character growth. A lot. For all of them. It's an anime densely packed with lovable, rounded characters that change.
- Fast-paced, high movement combat. Often through the wide open skies.
- Sci-fi setting, enemies that mix the exotic with the human.
- Even the tone is similar: there are lighthearted episodes, there are angsty episodes, and there are intense episodes where lots of things happen and you just can't look away.

Highly, highly recommended, though it does not strictly fit this thread's criteria.
Closed Thread