AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2007-02-27, 07:59   Link #1
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
Anime you really don't understand?

No, I know there's a lot of anime out there that's really hard to understand. That's not the kind of 'understand' I'm talking about here.

Has there ever been an anime you just.. Don't get why everyone loves?

Here, an example. For as long as I can remember, when I was but a wee teenie trying to get into the anime world there was one title that wouldn't stop filling my ears. "Neon Genisis! Neon Genesis!" People constantly told me that this was a masterpiece, a genius work of art.

I finally watched it on Adult Swim a few months ago, and I've been looking for somewhere to get this off my chest. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this anime.. Well, just really isn't 'genius'? I wont say anything sucks [Except for dubbing in most cases.] but.. I mean. It just wasn't that good at all. It certainly didn't hold my attention.

It wasn't that I didn't understand it either. It wasn't that complex as a lot of people made it out to be as well. It just.. Well. Wasn't very good to me. Certainly not this amazing piece of work that should be passed down through the generations.

So how about you? Is there any titles out there that you don't quite understand why people like it?
Ama no Kagaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 12:48   Link #2
4Tran

This happens all the time, but perhaps not in the sense that you mean. Even if a show is great, there's nothing that forces one to like it. Likewise, there's nothing particularly wrong with liking bad shows either. Finally, no two people's tastes are identical, so you'll constantly find people who like and dislike things for different reasons.

Expanding on your example of Neon Genesis Evangelion, it's undoubtedly a great show. However, even though I liked it, it's nowhere even close to being one of my favorites. Evangelion isn't for everyone, and you just happened to be one of those that didn't like it.
Old 2007-02-27, 14:02   Link #3
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I never understood why people found Saikano to be that great of a tearjerker.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-27, 14:13   Link #4
jedinat
フリーター

Fate/stay night, Full Metal Panic!, Fushigi Yuugi, (the original) Kanon, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, NHK ni Youkoso!, Slayers, Ghost in the Shell...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 14:17   Link #5
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

You're definatley not alone Ama...NGE is also a show I really enjoyed on alot of levels but at the end of the day I find it just to be some good genre-defining anime but nothing close to the best anime of all-time which is often said about it...So trust me you're not alone and if you go to the most overrated anime thread NGE is a constant reference....

As for shows that utterly kill my mind I have to go with BIG-O...To this day despite web-searching and conversation no one has given me a definative answer on what that show really was driving towards and the final episode is so beyond confusing I hurt my brain just thinking about it...Roger Smith action figures, Big-O movie posters...Was it real? Was it a movie? Was it a false reality? Who were the tomatoes? Is it all a reality in Angel's mind? Was Angel the Author of the book? Was Roger created as a fail-safe by angel when the world is destroyed to re-boot it? Unfortunatley I heard there was suppose to be a 3rd series to answer some of this but it didn't get the go....

Also:
Spoiler for end of Paranoia Agent:

Ergo Proxy is another show inwhich I will simply wait to watch the english dub because honestly it has to be more understandable than the Japanese version...Who would have known that show would have more in common with Big-O than something like GITSSAC (which it seemed to be more akin to at first)...
Old 2007-02-27, 15:03   Link #6
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Isn't this fundamentally the overrated anime thread couched in slightly different terms? Jedinat's list (for example) looks remarkably similar to the list that he posted in that thread.

I actually think an "anime you didn't really understand" thread would be sort of interesting. Like wingdarkness, I'm very sure the end of Paranoia Agent is intended to mean something, but I've never really been able to figure out what that is.
Old 2007-02-27, 15:20   Link #7
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

One anime i just cant understand- Ergo Proxy....i mean i kinda understood the story but the plot was too scattered and fragmented, the ending was retarded as well, imo too many different references to other works made it too confusing

Other than that...anime isnt really that hard to understand o.O
Old 2007-02-27, 16:53   Link #8
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

I like mind boggling animes. I want them to turn my brain into a mixed noodle and I go crazy after.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 16:56   Link #9
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ama no Kagaseo View Post
No, I know there's a lot of anime out there that's really hard to understand. That's not the kind of 'understand' I'm talking about here.

Has there ever been an anime you just.. Don't get why everyone loves?

Here, an example. For as long as I can remember, when I was but a wee teenie trying to get into the anime world there was one title that wouldn't stop filling my ears. "Neon Genisis! Neon Genesis!" People constantly told me that this was a masterpiece, a genius work of art.

I finally watched it on Adult Swim a few months ago, and I've been looking for somewhere to get this off my chest. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this anime.. Well, just really isn't 'genius'? I wont say anything sucks [Except for dubbing in most cases.] but.. I mean. It just wasn't that good at all. It certainly didn't hold my attention.

It wasn't that I didn't understand it either. It wasn't that complex as a lot of people made it out to be as well. It just.. Well. Wasn't very good to me. Certainly not this amazing piece of work that should be passed down through the generations.

So how about you? Is there any titles out there that you don't quite understand why people like it?
If you don't think you had trouble understanding it, then could you give a short summary of it? Perhaps you have some misperceptions about it that you don't realize. or perhaps you just need to watch the movie. Even after I watched it all and thought I understood most of it, I had to read several pages of explainations to get everything down. Frankly it's really easy to completely miss what the entire show is about.

Last edited by Ziv; 2007-02-27 at 17:08.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 17:00   Link #10
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
Isn't this fundamentally the overrated anime thread couched in slightly different terms? Jedinat's list (for example) looks remarkably similar to the list that he posted in that thread.

I actually think an "anime you didn't really understand" thread would be sort of interesting. Like wingdarkness, I'm very sure the end of Paranoia Agent is intended to mean something, but I've never really been able to figure out what that is.
I thought it felt familiar

And yeah, a thread like that would be interesting... looks like it's being half misunderstood as that anyways. (though right now I can't really think of an anime I haven't understood, really... never felt like watching Paranoia Agent)
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 17:13   Link #11
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
And yeah, a thread like that would be interesting... looks like it's being half misunderstood as that anyways. (though right now I can't really think of an anime I haven't understood, really... never felt like watching Paranoia Agent)
I wasn't thinking in the sense that you didn't understand the anime at all - just where one or two things happened that you didn't really understand the significance - or maybe the significance didn't make sense to you. There's a similar scene at the end of R.O.D. the TV that I've never really understood how I'm supposed to take it. It's not really necessary to understand (or enjoy) the series, it just seems kind of odd.
Old 2007-02-27, 17:31   Link #12
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I think the only anime I didn't understand on a decent level was Wolf's Rain; specifically the ending. I'm 90% sure the ending just sucked, but if someone can explain it to me well enough without using words like 'somehow' or 'for some reason,' I'm open to revising that opinion.

Skyfall:
Spoiler for Saikano:
Old 2007-02-27, 17:45   Link #13
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I think the only anime I didn't understand on a decent level was Wolf's Rain; specifically the ending. I'm 90% sure the ending just sucked, but if someone can explain it to me well enough without using words like 'somehow' or 'for some reason,' I'm open to revising that opinion.

Skyfall:
Spoiler for Saikano:
^
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-27, 18:02   Link #14
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
@ Skyfall ~ how could just not feel for such a masterpiece? >.< (hahaha j/k )

well one of those series i just dont have a clue about the end has to be gantZ ~
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 22:18   Link #15
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
^
Spoiler:
It does indeed sound like your expectations were too high. Hearing that it's an epic tragedy that'd make a pirate cry will cause you to unconciously prepare yourself for whatever may come. I just heard it was sad and good, and I thought it went pretty far beyond sad.
Old 2007-02-28, 02:41   Link #16
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
While you ask some excellent questions about Big-O, I'll answer the PA questions since I love that show and it really does make sense.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 03:00   Link #17
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Techxnolyze or whatever its called was shown to me by my friend. I thought I was watching one of those prentious short films that college students are forced to make in the arts faculties and my friends brother actually got up and left. I was extremely annoyed and irritated by the end of the first episodes and told him to never try to show me anything like that again. Apparentely he was drunk the first time he saw it because even he seemed clueless as to the proceedings of the episode as we watched.

Anyway anybody who wants to know anything about The Big O can ask me in PM's and such. Otherwise her is your answer

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-02-28 at 03:20.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 03:07   Link #18
retardation
phantom loser

honey and clover.... this anime is boring, has terrible characters and it repeats the same stuff over and over. i would also say it has an unfulfilling plot but i haven't seen hc2.
retardation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 06:59   Link #19
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
Wow, I've got a lot of ground to cover here apparently. I didn't think this thread would boom so much in just one day. Although it seems I made a slight copy - but if people really feel that's the case I can always tweak the thread to be open to other aspects of discussion. Anyway.. That good bit right there will have to wait until tomorrow. I had too long of a day to deal with it. e.e;

Although on a side note I finally purchased a copy of Akira, so you might want to expect another semi-rant. It's another anime I've heard only good holy praise about. It's a classic people tell me. A part of HISTORY. I don't really have high hopes. xD Moving on.. And off rambling.

@4Tran: I get what you're saying, really. But at the same time that doesn't really address the outcome of the general hype surrounding anime, especially older titles. Disappointment. Perhaps that's what I'm getting at here most. You hear so much about a series and then BAM.. It ends up feeling unsatisfying. But, my fault for being unclear.

@Jedinat: There are a few I can agree with you on. Especially Slayers, lord. That's another one of those series I heard nothing but praise about. I shelled out 120 bucks on the first box, and while it was mildly entertaining.. I didn't feel it was worth what I paid. Alas, it still sits there because I still bought it and don't want to give up.

Fushigi Yuugi was a good series, but not the god of all romance/magical girl/whatever you want to call it genre that people have made it out to be. Especially not when the common price on the box sets is 180 bucks.

@wingdarkness: Thank goodness. I don't really care if I don't fit in.. But what really got me was the fact that the fact I didn't get into it.. And some how I felt as though I was mentally inferior for not understand the complexities that make this series. I -feel- like I understand what was going on generally, but the fact I didn't enjoy it.. Well, yeah.

And maybe Shinji was a girl.

But.. It wasn't ground breaking, in my mind.

As for Big O I was always under the impression that.. Well, no. I'm not going to try to bullshit my way around here. I didn't like it at all. xD My fiancee is in love with it yet at the same time every time I catch it on TV I just don't get it at all.

There is anime that isn't supposed to be completely understood. FLCL, for example. There is anime that has meaning and a series message that is to be deciphered. But really, don't sit in the middle. e.e; Personal opinion though

@rooboy: Sorry for making a repeat, but it seems like this is managing to hold it's own. As noted I can always alter the thread to allow it to hold it's ground a little more. I'm a bit new 'round there hurr parts, so there may be some things I'm missing.

Spoiler for As for Paranoia Agent,:

Oh, oh. And as for little things which I just generally understand.. I've got some issues with Inu-Yasha.

Why doesn't it just end? xD They've repeated the same plot at least four times from what I've seen in the states.

@Ziv: Well, I wish I could give you some great summary on the series, but I didn't even sit through all of it. I watched it occasionally after the first few episodes which were a personal disappointment. I get the basics of what were going on, but I didn't dive that deep into the.. Well. Deep stuff. It just couldn't hold my attention.

@Retardation: I liked Honey & Clover. It's definitely a hard anime to get into, especially if you're coming from the days when anime was commonly known for sex and violence. It's just exactly as it says on AnimeSuki, a slices of life anime.
Ama no Kagaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 10:06   Link #20
Question
Crossdresser

Gundam seed destiny was seriously brain damaging. I hope to god the next gundam series doesnt have the same whiny teenagers dealing with angst issues and killing an entire army by themselves. Gundam seed wasnt as bad but thats not saying much.

Now a better question would be which anime you liked when almost everyone else didnt like it or hated it for some reason....