AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-02-28, 12:01   Link #21
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ama no Kagaseo
@4Tran: I get what you're saying, really. But at the same time that doesn't really address the outcome of the general hype surrounding anime, especially older titles. Disappointment. Perhaps that's what I'm getting at here most. You hear so much about a series and then BAM.. It ends up feeling unsatisfying. But, my fault for being unclear.
You've pretty much said it yourself: your experience of a show doesn't always live up to its hype. Since different people are interested in different things, what may work for a large number of people may well be different that what works for you. Hence hype, especially for popular shows, may still apply to many people, but not necessarily for you. Akira is a good example of this. There's an awful lot of people who aren't particularly enthused by it, but you don't hear about them as much because they don't feel it's necessary to talk much about an old show that they didn't like.

It's also possible that you simply may not like older shows as much. The key is probably simply to accept shows for what they are, and not buy into any hype.
Old 2007-02-28, 12:47   Link #22
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

I cant understand Naruto fillers. They are just too much for my brain to process.
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 13:29   Link #23
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
While you ask some excellent questions about Big-O, I'll answer the PA questions since I love that show and it really does make sense.
Spoiler for end of Paranoia Agent:
Spoiler for head-scratch:

sheeeesh as for Big-O Kaioshin_Sama kinda takes the cake. No one has ever been able to explain that show to me like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Techxnolyze or whatever its called was shown to me by my friend. I thought I was watching one of those prentious short films that college students are forced to make in the arts faculties and my friends brother actually got up and left. I was extremely annoyed and irritated by the end of the first episodes and told him to never try to show me anything like that again. Apparentely he was drunk the first time he saw it because even he seemed clueless as to the proceedings of the episode as we watched.

Anyway anybody who wants to know anything about The Big O can ask me in PM's and such. Otherwise her is your answer

Spoiler:
Spoiler for You've got to be kidding me:

No need to PM as long as we spoiler tab since this thread seems to be valid for asking general questions from various mind-boggling animes hard to understand...
Old 2007-02-28, 16:19   Link #24
retardation
phantom loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ama no Kagaseo View Post

@Retardation: I liked Honey & Clover. It's definitely a hard anime to get into, especially if you're coming from the days when anime was commonly known for sex and violence. It's just exactly as it says on AnimeSuki, a slices of life anime.
yeah see the thing is i usually love slice of life series, this is why honey and clover really perplexes me. i didn't go into the anime expected a sex romp or shootemup. i'm just more of the opinion that if i'm looking at a slice of life series i ought to have some interest in the characters. i guess the characters in h&c are well developed but i don't find any of them likable. the worst is hagu-chan. i want to kick her in the face. the fact that she looks and acts like she's 9 years old also creeps me out.
retardation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 16:26   Link #25
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

There are some things either you love them or cant stand them . There are some anime which have given me the same feeling . FLCL and Gantz , before reading this thread I felt I was a minority considering Gantz
Old 2007-02-28, 16:32   Link #26
Scourge87
Dark Lord of the West

Bobobo is the anime I'm confused about. But I think it was made that way.
Scourge87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 16:45   Link #27
Ziv

Quote:
@Ziv: Well, I wish I could give you some great summary on the series, but I didn't even sit through all of it. I watched it occasionally after the first few episodes which were a personal disappointment. I get the basics of what were going on, but I didn't dive that deep into the.. Well. Deep stuff. It just couldn't hold my attention.
That's probably why you can't understand why people like it. Pretty much if you thought the show had anything to do with giant robots or monsters attacking tokyo you're wrong. =P
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 18:39   Link #28
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
Well, no. I got more than that from the episodes I saw. xD It is supposed to be a complex anime, so I got the basics of that complexity down. Not just "Oh, giant robots that DON'T look like Gundam. Wow."
Ama no Kagaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 20:03   Link #29
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
That's probably why you can't understand why people like it. Pretty much if you thought the show had anything to do with giant robots or monsters attacking tokyo you're wrong. =P
I don't know if it will make all that much difference. There's lots of people who have no problem understanding Evangelion but still don't care for the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ama no Kagaseo View Post
Well, no. I got more than that from the episodes I saw. xD It is supposed to be a complex anime, so I got the basics of that complexity down. Not just "Oh, giant robots that DON'T look like Gundam. Wow."
It sounds like you haven't seen the whole show yet. Evangelion plays fast and loose with lots of the standard mecha conventions, so it ends up being quite different from what you may expect. In many ways, it's more of a psychological/philosophical show than it is about mecha action. Even ignoring the Kabbalistic imagery (which isn't too significant in and of itself), there's still quite a lot of depth in terms of character, plot, and themes.
Old 2007-02-28, 20:15   Link #30
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Spoiler for head-scratch:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-28, 21:40   Link #31
White Manju Bun
Going to supermarket
*Author

Im also on the NGE bandwagon when it comes to head-scratching anime...I really didnt get it. Big O also...maybe I lost something in the dub of both of them. This is gonna sound really dumb but I still dont fully understand Utawarermono....dont laugh The jumping back and forth in time confused me. Still a good anime tho.
- 11th Doctor.

"I am the bone of my sword."
-Archer
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-01, 00:07   Link #32
DeZheKun

Suzumiya Haruhi was totally confusing to me and worst, i can't understand why people like it so much -.-
DeZheKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-01, 00:34   Link #33
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeZheKun View Post
Suzumiya Haruhi was totally confusing to me and worst, i can't understand why people like it so much -.-
While I understand the purpose of this thread is discussing how a series' extreme popularity might not reflect upon your opinion, you say confused as if you didn't understand something about the plot? If that's the case...

Spoiler for after The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:

As for why it's so popular, my guess is that we can all relate to the series in some way. Take Haruhi and Kyon for example: my real personality is a fairly even mixture of the two, and as such it makes watching this series a lot more fun. Add to that mixture a bit of every gender (heck, it even has mecha in one episode), some fun personalities, and a plot more twisted than Death Note... well, you can see where I'm going.
Old 2007-03-01, 01:51   Link #34
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
Now a better question would be which anime you liked when almost everyone else didnt like it or hated it for some reason....
I'm pretty sure we have that thread. Go look for it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-01, 09:10   Link #35
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeZheKun View Post
I always thought it was the bunny costume.
Old 2007-03-01, 13:59   Link #36
Question
Crossdresser

What probably confuses people about suzumiya haruhi is that the show isnt aired in chronological order, and they dont realise it(although the 2 episode numbers being given in the episode preview may tip viewers off). For example
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-01, 17:02   Link #37
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Sailor Moon, Sakura Wars 2 OAV, and Naruto. I don't get why everyone loves them.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 08:14   Link #38
Long_Dead
R.I.P

Well as for Sailor Moon i liked the love moments but the fightes and that werent really great.

Havenīt seen sakura wars 2 OAV...

Naruto:

Well the original story line is good but the 1 year of fillers suck.

But its back to the main story now in Naruto shipuuden!
Long_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 11:50   Link #39
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by retardation View Post
yeah see the thing is i usually love slice of life series, this is why honey and clover really perplexes me. i didn't go into the anime expected a sex romp or shootemup. i'm just more of the opinion that if i'm looking at a slice of life series i ought to have some interest in the characters. i guess the characters in h&c are well developed but i don't find any of them likable. the worst is hagu-chan. i want to kick her in the face. the fact that she looks and acts like she's 9 years old also creeps me out.

Seriously, how can you not find the characters fantastic in Honey & Clover? They're well-developed and each of them has their different quirks. Morita-san is legendary, and all the characters seem to buck every trend going (aside from maybe Takemoto, but he realises his character in a new and interesting way). I only watched the series recently, after hearing all the hype and already being a fan of "shoujo" series - and yet, I still find it fantastic and well worth the watch.

As for series I don't understand... well, none of them actually. If there are series that make me go wtf? then I go back and rewatch some episodes until it all makes sense.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 11:59   Link #40
Long_Dead
R.I.P

well the part that she acts like she is 9 is true and how can anybody fall in love with a nine year old unless Hentai! (she looks like a 9 year old aswell)

Last edited by Long_Dead; 2007-03-04 at 04:00.
Long_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote