AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-06-19, 10:10   Link #1
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

A definition for political anime

While not a genre of itself, "Political Anime" has certainly became a familiar word. But what is the definition of it?

1. Anime that serves political purposes (e.g to advocate a candidate, or to parody one political subject,...), not unlike comic strip on western newspapers.

2. Anime with the protagonist's actions directly affected the state of politic, to an immense level.

I noticed that people doesn't seperate the two clearly. For example, Anime Planet made a list of "Political Anime" series (but most of them are Sci-fi/Mecha), while something like Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku fits the second criteria perfectly.

So what should be the standard definition for " Political Anime"?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-19, 11:09   Link #2
IceHism

Hmm, I feel that there is a difference between calling media political and whether the show itself just deals with some form of politics.

For example, I would say the film "The Birth of A Nation" is a political movie in that it advocated a certain position and could easily affect the outcomes of millions of people in real life or even Uncle Tom's Cabin but something like Game of Thrones is a show that simply contains politics as a main plot and would probably contain politics as a genre.

I would say your former definition (#1) is not used much in the medium of anime so we should stray away from calling an anime political because of that. I'm more in favor of #2 where that seems to make politics as more of a genre kind of like in the way the shows Game of Thrones and House of Cards makes it.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 12:19   Link #3
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think that if we were to take the first definition for valid there would be really very few anime that would fit in it, and even those would probably be not very popular given the fact that anime are mostly watched for evasion and escapism purposes.

The list that you linked at decidedly seems to adhere to the second definition, so I guess you should just stick with that.

I will also add that it is probably a lost cause to look for an absolutely accepted definition. There are disputes regarding even more common definitions like "slice of life", "moe" and even the definition of "anime" itself.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 14:31   Link #4
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Koizomi can be considered a political satire, as it makes fun of the typical Jingoistic bullshit that is reminiscent of some productions in the United States and that is the main theme of the work.

Basically, a political anime would be counterparts to Western Animation shows like the Boondocks or South Park.

In general, there needs to be commentary on a certain issue or current condition. For example, Family Guy frequently just throws in political happenings just for a cheap gag and that wouldn't really count.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 12:54   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I can probably count on two hands or fewer the number of anime I've watched with political themes, and two of them came from the pen of Nakashima Kazuki, Oh! Edo Rocket and Kill la Kill. Both have repression and fascism as themes. AKB0048 surprisingly also deals with political repression. Even a show that might seem political on its face like Monster actually has little real politics in its story. Moribito has a strong political theme at the outset, but it gets lost along the way. (See my comments here; spoiler alert.)

Saiunkoku Monogatari probably qualifies as the most political show I've watched, followed perhaps by The Legend of Koizumi.