AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 73 57.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 23.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 11.72%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.78%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.78%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.78%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-03-06, 22:02   Link #261
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Why do people pick on a speedsub? Yes, the quality of translation is poor but they are quick.

I, for one, am grateful for their work and hope they ll continue with it.
Old 2007-03-06, 22:18   Link #262
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Why do people pick on a speedsub? Yes, the quality of translation is poor but they are quick.

people get annoyed when others try to quote speedsubs in discussions.

a speed sub is good at what it does: a basic idea of what's going on in an episode made in a day. and the trade-off is errors. nothing against your-mom for what they did, as this was their intent.

but again, people need to know that there are problems in these quickly made translations now and then, and that you should question the accuracy. (really, you should do it with any sub to varying degrees. but that is a different issue) and so some get annoyed, perhaps more than they should, when this kind of misunderstanding happens. :\
Old 2007-03-06, 22:31   Link #263
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:

I don't know what these speedsubs are, nor do I watch any fansubs to begin with.
But when confusion arises from these translations in these discussion forums, it's natural to respond to that, isn't it?
Otherwise, these questions will never be answered.
Old 2007-03-06, 22:49   Link #264
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

I might be wrong, but i get the impression that your-mom is doing the translation wrong on purpose, cause some of the mistake were obivious as someone here mentioned earlier. Could they be doing it wrong on purpose so as to force gg into doing their subs faster so the general fan community won't be pissed or something. Keep in mind this is my speculation.
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 22:55   Link #265
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypokstick View Post
I might be wrong, but i get the impression that your-mom is doing the translation wrong on purpose, cause some of the mistake were obivious as someone here mentioned earlier. Could they be doing it wrong on purpose so as to force gg into doing their subs faster so the general fan community won't be pissed or something. Keep in mind this is my speculation.
no, they're just not particularly putting any effort into it is the thing. this isn't one of their projects, and they basically did it out of goodwill to various people who had been waiting for the GG release.

I wouldn't be surprised if their translator just skimmed the thing and didn't bother to get someone else to check any of it. again, they weren't doing it wrong on purpose. they just didn't care if there were errors; it was a thrown together creation.
Old 2007-03-06, 23:04   Link #266
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

oh, dont get me wrong. i'm not against pointing errors in translation. But getting angry bout a free fansub is just wrong. If it's a DVD release, well that's another story.

Speedsubs are when groups decide to sacrifice quality for faster release.
Old 2007-03-06, 23:07   Link #267
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well even if parts were mis-translated having some kind of clue what's going on is better than nothing i guess. Sort of feels odd discussing an episode after everything has been gone over but oh well

We got some nice moments with Lelouch and Euphemia. Impressed that she figured out who he was. Even though a gun came into the picture it was certainly more peaceful than Suzaku and Kallen's meeting. I don't know if I should be impressed or concerned at how calmly Suzaku handled a nude Kallen. I guess when she started charging at him with a knife he had to worry about that. Guess the best chance she has of taking Suzaku down is if her knightmare comes into the picture.

Damn it Cecile don't let yourself be fooled. But seriously Schneizel is up to something, I just wish I knew just what his plan was. Of course with the show having a couple seasons things may not get cleared up right away.

But we got some good things from Lelouch and Euphemia. It seems like he has put her off the "to-kill" list for the time being. Clearly if Lelouch believes Euphie in that Cornelia looked up to his mother and was investigating what happened he won't think she had a part in the murder. Wonder how this will affect his decisions regarding Cornelia in the future. Gotta love Lelouch's lack of survival skills. Smart guy but can't handle himself out there. Euphie saved him with finding that fruit.

Is there any activity Suzaku can't do well in? Catching fish barehanded without much trouble at all. Those two certainly butted heads a few times. Both have their beliefs and it'll be tough to really get them to change their minds in that. At least Suzaku can talk about his father's death without going into a panicked state. Though I think at the end Kallen made some ground. That's probably the way it's going to be with Suzaku, making small gains here and there. Still think he'll end up with Lelouch eventually. THough the other side is going to need some powerful units first. Since at the moment Suzaku is the best Britannia has. If he joined the black knights than that would be a big shift in power. Found it slightly funny how Kallen has no problem charging nude at Suzaku but when he compliments her at being more active and charming compared to being at school she gets embarassed. Guess it comes to the heat of the moment kind of thing. She might need a new weapon since that knife lost to Suzaku and Lelouch.

Have to wonder what is up with CC. She's clearly talking to someone and apparently that person caused her to get into that argument. Frankly I wouldn't have minded if she mind-raped that guy since he's getting on my nerves as well.

Loved Kallen and Euphemia going at it. Though when Euphemia told Suzaku to fight I think she wanted him to beat on Kallen. I guess since she wasn't worried about her life she had time to act like that.

The geass on Suzaku is something to think about. Does it mean that every time Suzaku is in a situation where he might die and is considering letting it happen the geass will activate and force him to stay alive? It's such a simple command that you just don't know. Whenever Lelouch gets into a situation where he is upset, he seems to go for simple commands. "Shut-up, survive/live" Though that geass command may have been the best thing, since Suzaku has been acting a bit suicidal lately.

For whatever reason I still like Suzaku. So I really hope he is going to work things out well. The backlash from his "disobedience" will make things tough for him. Gotta love how listening to the order would have killed him, here's pulling for Suzaku's true betrayal against Britannia.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 23:09   Link #268
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
oh, dont get me wrong. i'm not against pointing errors in translation. But getting angry bout a free fansub is just wrong. If it's a DVD release, well that's another story.

Speedsubs are when groups decide to sacrifice quality for faster release.
That's where you're misunderstanding.
No one's upset or mad about anything.

I was simply explaining what happened really, and there were those who didn't understand the exact lines I was referring to, so had to extend the explanation.
Old 2007-03-06, 23:20   Link #269
SinsI

So the order in the previous episode was to live... Does this mean Suzaku is immortal(CC-like) now?
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 23:35   Link #270
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
So the order in the previous episode was to live... Does this mean Suzaku is immortal(CC-like) now?
Well if it's a geass that works over and over again then Suzaku is pretty close. With his physical skills he can get out of most dangerous situations. Though no one is quite as immortal as CC is.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 23:37   Link #271
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
if this were DN, that's an automatic "enjoy your heart attack."

back on geass, Lelouch just did a particularly damaging ninja slice to Suzaku's brain. (might actually be worse than Shirley's if you think about it.)

I'm guessing the reason Suzaku freaked out while they were falling was because he had an order to live, but he didn't know if he had the means to fulfill it. though maybe not, who knows. just my thoughts on it.
Old 2007-03-06, 23:42   Link #272
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
It simply means he won't be as suicidal, and will try to survive.

If geass had that much power, then ordering anyone to "kill the emperor" would turn that person into superman
Old 2007-03-06, 23:45   Link #273
SinsI

Geass is a magical, not scientific limited power and as such we don't know its true abilities. We already know it works as a "user is alive" detector for CC, we also know that power of a similar nature keeps her alive, so I wouldn't discard the possibility that it would work on Suzaku as well, reviving him due to the "Live!" order.
BTW, any ideas on who snatched the quartet from the battlefield and placed them on that island? Was it the voice CC is always speaking to?
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 23:57   Link #274
ashlay
the red string of fate

but so far the geasses themselves have only been shown to have what are considered "psychic" abilities. hypnotic, telepathic, and maybe hallucinogenic. while fictional, they're not quite magical, as they have certain limits.

CCs immortality should be considered separate for the time being, since Mao certainly wasn't immortal (err...kinda) and CC certainly seemed to fear Lelouch getting killed, which implies he could be. and unlike when CC haxed suzaku's brain, the geass symbol on her head hasn't been shown to glow when she's regenerating. (not saying it doesn't, they just don't bother to make the connection)

Quote:
BTW, any ideas on who snatched the quartet from the battlefield and placed them on that island? Was it the voice CC is always speaking to?
more likely than not. :3
Old 2007-03-07, 04:48   Link #275
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
as I think I've said before (though maybe not), if GS or GSD's island episodes had anywhere near as much stuff happening in them as this episode, they would have been good.

besides, you act like Gundam Seed made the island episode. yet it's been a cliche in mecha and even non-mecha since at very least the 80s. not saying that your point that this is a cliched concept is wrong. just realise that cliches are part of what make anime, and that Geass has been using plenty of cliches since day 1. :3
i only mentioned GS and GSD because the whole show really makes me think about GS for some reason. and because it s the "most recent" popular TV show that use the cliche of 2 enemy ending up together, if we were to list them all it d take too much time to list them.
Hence my complain about the lack of creativity and overuse of cliche.
Old 2007-03-07, 05:05   Link #276
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
i only mentioned GS and GSD because the whole show really makes me think about GS for some reason. and because it s the "most recent" popular TV show that use the cliche of 2 enemy ending up together, if we were to list them all it d take too much time to list them.
Hence my complain about the lack of creativity and overuse of cliche.
But that's exactly it; cliches had been around since back in the days of ancient Greeks, if not older. The only reason you thought there was an increase in cliches, is because you have seen more shows now than when you first started.

Shows are made of cliches. Without cliches there is no show.

It's how the cliches are organised and presented that can make a show entertaining, not how original it is. In this case, Sunrise is intentionally reusing story elements from Gundam Seed, except using them in different ways. This might be for the whiplash effect; you might think the story will go in a particular direction because it's how it happened in GS, then BANG! Code Geass changes the rules when you least expects it.

...The funny thing is, some people who don't pay attention are still believing Suzaku to be a Kira Yamato clone. Just goes to show how often audiences watch shows with their brains turned off.
Old 2007-03-07, 05:53   Link #277
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I don't know what these speedsubs are, nor do I watch any fansubs to begin with.
But when confusion arises from these translations in these discussion forums, it's natural to respond to that, isn't it?
Otherwise, these questions will never be answered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypokstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
no, they're just not particularly putting any effort into it is the thing. this isn't one of their projects, and they basically did it out of goodwill to various people who had been waiting for the GG release.

I wouldn't be surprised if their translator just skimmed the thing and didn't bother to get someone else to check any of it. again, they weren't doing it wrong on purpose. they just didn't care if there were errors; it was a thrown together creation.

First of all could some one point out a few mistakes they made in translation in Episode 18 and 19?. I keep reading people saying they did a poor job and ..... , but however i dont see a single example of how and why they did bad.

If base on what i keep reading they made bunch of Mistakes and errors, Could any one come up with three translation error?.

I personaly dont see any major errors in translation.

So to sum it up, if any one thinks their subs on episode 18 and 19 of code geass has alot of errors, please put a few ( or at least even one example ) examples of their errors in translation.
Old 2007-03-07, 08:25   Link #278
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
So to sum it up, if any one thinks their subs on episode 18 and 19 of code geass has alot of errors, please put a few ( or at least even one example ) examples of their errors in translation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige from another topic
I was looking up about 超考古学, which Lloyd mentioned, since it came up in the mis-translated line from the fansub, on previous page.

He says he's not very versed in Archeology, especially if it has 超 (super, extraordinary) in front of it. Apparantly, chou-koukogaku is an unofficial phrase used for occultic/supernatural archeology. It makes sense, since 超常現象 Choujou genshou refers to abnormal phenomenon (supernatual, etc).

It's a study of archeology from supernatural point of view.
That explains Lloyd's unwillingness, and his sarcasm about Emperor going after these "occult" monuments.
For the first one and -> http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=257

The Second one -> http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=247

For the third one, the emperor in episode 18 say something about Schneizel whose name has been translated in Lamperouge
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 10:31   Link #279
JediNight
キズランダム

I think it's more grief than its worth for everyone involved to create many extra pages of posts getting bent out of shape over something that might be mistranslated, and then asking for a clarification about it all on the forums, which then asks for us to translate most of the episode for them then ;p

As was said above -- take the speedsub for what it is and enjoy the partial understanding for now, and wait for a more accurate release before trying to argue musings about the episode.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 11:18   Link #280
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
OMG!!! there had a many errors translation
kira-sama is offline   Reply With Quote