AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-03, 17:50   Link #241
grgspunk

I've been wondering about something... When the hell is Geneon going to say something about what they're going to do with their unfinished/unreleased licenses?
Old 2007-10-03, 21:15   Link #242
Red Lupine
Bulzome High Priest

I just don't see a Nanoha dub having a chance of being good

I expect it to go the way of the Rozen Maiden and Higurashi dubs
Old 2007-10-07, 04:28   Link #243
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...sage-to-fans/2

Well I would call this good news, but I think we won't be seeing the first volume of Nanoha not until next year. Though, they did state that "subtitling" work is still in the process of both Nanoha seasons...does this mean we won't be getting a dub cast for Nanoha?
Either way, they still have the licenses and are still working on the shows, its just the distribution options that they need to explore to get those DVDs released.
Old 2007-10-07, 04:38   Link #244
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
Well I would call this good news, but I think we won't be seeing the first volume of Nanoha not until next year. Though, they did state that "subtitling" work is still in the process of both Nanoha seasons...does this mean we won't be getting a dub cast for Nanoha?
They might be finishing the subtitles first, and they will do the dubbing later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
Either way, they still have the licenses and are still working on the shows, its just the distribution options that they need to explore to get those DVDs released.
Yes, but the situation still seems unstable. Right now, they're discussing. Meaning we might get the DVDs... but we might be saying good-bye to the chance of getting any more of their DVDs.

I really wanted to finish collecting Higurashi no Naku Koro ni too......

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2007-10-07, 04:52   Link #245
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Yea, same here. Higurashi was on my list to complete my DVD set...I even got the box.
But back on topic, do all companies always do that? Subbing first then dubbing?
So even though they're discussing any mean of getting their DVDs released, its still a slim chance that we might even get Nanoha or Higurashi or any of Geneon's currently licensed animes to hit stores.
This sucks.
Old 2007-10-07, 10:03   Link #246
Jimmy C

Subs are needed before a dub script can be created.
To me, what Geneon didn't tell their retailers was more important than what they told their fans. Remember the letter from Geneon to its sellers that was released earlier?
There was not one word reassuring them that they would make every effort to resume sales. To me, that's not a good sign.
Old 2007-10-07, 11:13   Link #247
Once and Current Subber

Subtitling work and dubbing work often proceed in parallel. The process of creating a dub script is radically different from making a subtitle script, so it's best if they diverge from the beginning anyway. (This might not be the case if you have a really good subtitler but a crappy translation...)

I'd say the chances aren't slim. Doing this stuff with contractors is expensive. If you were looking to cut your losses, "don't start a new show" would go a long way. The fact that they're still starting new shows indicates that they plan to get them to market somehow, even if it's another company who ends up doing the distribution.
Old 2007-10-08, 04:05   Link #248
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Lets just hope we get an announcement of a DVD release by early next year.
Although their distribution problem seems really heavy in terms of money...so maybe it might take a while before we get anything on a DVD release date.
Old 2007-10-08, 15:12   Link #249
Dythe
Lurker

Post News about Geneon

Spoiler for old info:

Edit: This is what I get for not researching
(oops)

Last edited by Dythe; 2007-10-08 at 15:23.
Old 2007-10-09, 03:05   Link #250
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
Subtitling work and dubbing work often proceed in parallel. The process of creating a dub script is radically different from making a subtitle script
Just because I'm curious, I don't suppose you can shed any light on the differences? Normally they seem pretty close to each other, and every company always translates every last bit of things including things like Brother and Sister in either version (which I can understand why they would) but with very little differences between them it does make me wonder about it. Probably is something really obvious that I just didn't think of this late at night lol.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2007-10-11, 16:27   Link #251
grgspunk

Wait a sec... Didn't Avatar say that the Nanoha series is in the process of being dubbed? If it really is, who's doing it?

Last edited by grgspunk; 2007-10-12 at 00:46.
Old 2007-10-11, 22:26   Link #252
Once and Current Subber

That... is a secret. ;p

A big part of it is where you go with the translation. If you're making a dub script, you're paying attention to things like mouth flaps - you don't have to get it exactly right, but you need to pay at least (heh) lip service to the idea of getting it to sync up. With subtitles, the limiting factor is reading speed and subtitle size. Different set of compromises, and honestly, I have a lot of respect for anybody that can write a good dub script. It's a harder challenge than what I do, in many ways. (Of course, then they go home and I still have many hours of painstaking timing to do...)

Man, I'd forgotten how the first few eps were relative to the rest of the series. It's just not a great show until Fate shows up, is it?
Old 2007-10-12, 02:57   Link #253
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
A big part of it is where you go with the translation. If you're making a dub script, you're paying attention to things like mouth flaps - you don't have to get it exactly right, but you need to pay at least (heh) lip service to the idea of getting it to sync up. With subtitles, the limiting factor is reading speed and subtitle size. Different set of compromises, and honestly, I have a lot of respect for anybody that can write a good dub script. It's a harder challenge than what I do, in many ways. (Of course, then they go home and I still have many hours of painstaking timing to do...)
Yea, good point... I told you it'd be something stupid like that. Lip Syncing, duh. It's not like companies go through and re-draw every frame (most likely) just to sync the lips up. Oh, and as for the size... if possible don't make them take up half the screen please! (I've quite a few titles who just over-do it on sub size imo)

Quote:
Man, I'd forgotten how the first few eps were relative to the rest of the series. It's just not a great show until Fate shows up, is it?
Heh, yea. I recently re-watched it so I remember pretty good right now just how the first eps are. Fate really is what makes the show leave the whole magical girl mold. I mean before she shows up, it's pretty much just like every other Mahou Shoujo series out there, since all it really is before then is the whole "Oh lets go collect Jewel Seeds because they may destroy the world." which is a fairly typical plot.

Old 2007-10-12, 18:05   Link #254
Once and Current Subber

Well, it'd be too much to say that it was completely normal - Nanoha's still not exactly your usual magical girl lead - but it's the difference between "okay" and "awesome".

Think I'm going to go with a bit of a thinner font than the last couple of projects I did - wasn't happy with some of the translation compromises it forced on me. Should come out all right, though, it's not like Nanoha is super-talky. (Not like Zero, which I'm working on tonight... whoa nelly.)
Old 2007-10-13, 20:52   Link #255
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Well, it'd be too much to say that it was completely normal - Nanoha's still not exactly your usual magical girl lead - but it's the difference between "okay" and "awesome".
Yea, true, she isn't your typical lead. Not to mention the "magic" part isn't magic in the normal sense... Since it relies on the whole "any advanced technology will look like magic" thing.

Quote:
Think I'm going to go with a bit of a thinner font than the last couple of projects I did - wasn't happy with some of the translation compromises it forced on me. Should come out all right, though, it's not like Nanoha is super-talky. (Not like Zero, which I'm working on tonight... whoa nelly.)
Heh, yea it isn't super-talky... Although there can be quite a bit at times. I don't suppose one of the projects was Rozen Maiden by any chance? Since that is one that I think used a bit too large font size (iirc).

One thing I'm actually very interested in recently, which you may not be able to answer, is what names you'll be using for the devices and such. Like at first, and it's still decently spread, Raising Heart was Raging Heart. I think there were a couple other mis-translations also when compared to the official site...

Old 2007-10-13, 21:49   Link #256
Once and Current Subber

Heh. I came in on Rozen for vol. 3 only. ;p

I have an official names list from Japan. Raging Heart is on it. (Overall, nothing really objectionable, especially considering the usual trouble with those things. I can live with "Aruf" rather than "Alf".)
Old 2007-10-13, 21:53   Link #257
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynor View Post
One thing I'm actually very interested in recently, which you may not be able to answer, is what names you'll be using for the devices and such. Like at first, and it's still decently spread, Raising Heart was Raging Heart. I think there were a couple other mis-translations also when compared to the official site...
A couple of important titles as well, namely Enforcer (執務官 - Executive Officer on the StS cards), and Mage (魔導師 - Wizard).

Other ones:
Mid-childa (A's cards); Midchilda (StS cards)
RH Excellion (fansub) ; RH Exelion (A's card)
Levantine (how it's said, and fansub) ; Laevatein (A's card)
Old 2007-10-13, 22:31   Link #258
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Heh. I came in on Rozen for vol. 3 only. ;p

I have an official names list from Japan. Raging Heart is on it. (Overall, nothing really objectionable, especially considering the usual trouble with those things. I can live with "Aruf" rather than "Alf".)
Oh good grief. Raising Heart IS the official spelling. The producers themselves said it at a convention. Raging Heart is a mistranslation by a fansub group. Have a look at the OP of StrikerS and various official artwork if you are still not convinced...

Yeesh.
Old 2007-10-13, 23:36   Link #259
Once and Current Subber

"I'm sorry, Mr. Japanese Licensor, but I can't use the official spelling that you, in your official capacity, officially gave me, because I read a post on a message board that told me otherwise."

Look, there's official spellings and official spellings. If the Japanese decide to list a spelling in English when producing Japanese-language goods for the Japanese market, certainly that's one kind of official spelling. But the official spelling that accompanies the official credits and the licensing, along with the transfer of a tremendous pile of cash, that is the REALLY official spelling. The two do not necessarily agree, but the latter is the one that I'd have to use even if I didn't like it.

Sometimes it can be something completely stupid. We had to argue for hours so that Orphen's Cleo wouldn't end up as "Creao" - eventually we had to compromise on "Cleao". Compared to that, Raging Heart is totally 100% okay with me.

Also, Arisa, Zafira, Letti, Excelion, Laevatein, Arthra, Midchilda, Belka, Alhazard. (Don't think I have any typos in there...) Mage. Dunno about "enforcer", hasn't shown up yet. The only really weird thing is Falin's last name, and it never actually shows up in the subs. So yeah, I'm plenty happy with it.
Old 2007-10-14, 05:13   Link #260
Skane
Anime Snark

Question

Quote:
"I'm sorry, Mr. Japanese Licensor, but I can't use the official spelling that you, in your official capacity, officially gave me, because I read a post on a message board that told me otherwise."

Look, there's official spellings and official spellings. If the Japanese decide to list a spelling in English when producing Japanese-language goods for the Japanese market, certainly that's one kind of official spelling. But the official spelling that accompanies the official credits and the licensing, along with the transfer of a tremendous pile of cash, that is the REALLY official spelling. The two do not necessarily agree, but the latter is the one that I'd have to use even if I didn't like it.
~
There seems to be a gulf in communication between the two of us. You say you want to use the official spelling. Well, the official spelling IS "Raising Heart" as stated by the producers of MSLN. "Raging Heart" was a mistranslation by [Triad] fansubs.

It's spelt "Raising Heart" in the OPs, in the artwork, in the damn manga itself, it was even verbally confirmed at a convention. Where are you getting your "Raging Heart" from?!

Nani?