AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-14, 06:08   Link #261
erien

Raging Heart is the spelling the japanese companies told Geneon to use, Avatar/Geneon dont have much say in the matter.

Last edited by erien; 2007-10-14 at 06:19.
Old 2007-10-14, 07:04   Link #262
grgspunk

Under these current circumstances, I'd say damaging our relationship with the potential savior of the Nanoha license by arguing over petty crap is not a good idea. Besides, even if he wanted to use "Raising Heart", it wasn't really his choice to do so.
Old 2007-10-14, 07:12   Link #263
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by erien View Post
Raging Heart is the spelling the japanese companies told Geneon to use, Avatar/Geneon dont have much say in the matter.
Do we have a source on that?
Old 2007-10-14, 07:16   Link #264
erien

Avatar just said it on the previous page.
Old 2007-10-14, 07:23   Link #265
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Where are you getting your "Raging Heart" from?!
Skane -- remember who you're talking to. As he said, there's "official" (as in, everything they've said before), and official (as in, the material King Records (and all) provide to Geneon as part of their contract). Whatever they've said before, in whatever form, doesn't matter. Whatever they provide to Geneon saying "thou shalt use these spellings" rules the day and becomes the official spelling for the English market, even if they use something totally different for the Japanese market. That's what he means by "there's official spellings and official spellings". The Japanese licensor made a decision and, even though it may be totally inconsistent with every prior statement and decision made on the matter, it is now the absolute truth for Geneon and the official English release. Funny how that works.
Old 2007-10-14, 07:23   Link #266
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by erien View Post
Avatar just said it on the previous page.
"I have an official list from Japan"

You have no idea how many times I've heard that before. What I meant was how did he get get that list? Does he have a link to it? Who even shared that list with him?
Old 2007-10-14, 07:27   Link #267
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
You have no idea how many times I've heard that before. What I meant was how did he get get that list? Does he have a link to it? Who even shared that list with him?
He's the contractor hired by Geneon to produce the subtitles for the show. He was provided the list by Geneon, who received it from King Records and the Nanoha Production Committee (or whatever agents they employed) as part of the official set of materials for the show. He probably can't share or divulge it, since it's part of his contract, but he's shared portions of it here.

There are times for suspicion. This isn't one of them.
Old 2007-10-14, 07:29   Link #268
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Heeeh? Didn't know that.

As for my suspicion, how can one not be suspicious when the official translation gets officially altered on the Japanese side?
Old 2007-10-14, 07:33   Link #269
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
As for my suspicion, how can one not be suspicious when the official translation gets officially altered on the Japanese side?
This happens practically all the time, though. I've seen different sets of official Japanese merchandise for shows containing all sorts of different spelling variants, only to have there be yet another variant on the licensed products. It's almost as if they can't make up their minds, and the answer depends on who they ask and what mood they're in.
Old 2007-10-14, 08:00   Link #270
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Skane -- remember who you're talking to. As he said, there's "official" (as in, everything they've said before), and official (as in, the material King Records (and all) provide to Geneon as part of their contract). Whatever they've said before, in whatever form, doesn't matter. Whatever they provide to Geneon saying "thou shalt use these spellings" rules the day and becomes the official spelling for the English market, even if they use something totally different for the Japanese market. That's what he means by "there's official spellings and official spellings". The Japanese licensor made a decision and, even though it may be totally inconsistent with every prior statement and decision made on the matter, it is now the absolute truth for Geneon and the official English release. Funny how that works.
Actually no, I don't know who I was talking with; and really, does it really matter? I mean, I'm entitled to my scepticism, right? Until I see cold hard evidence, I am not in the habit of accepting verbal proof as divine truth. Call me a cynic, or call me a hardass, but that is the way I see it.

Cheers.
Old 2007-10-14, 11:49   Link #271
Once and Current Subber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Actually no, I don't know who I was talking with; and really, does it really matter? I mean, I'm entitled to my scepticism, right? Until I see cold hard evidence, I am not in the habit of accepting verbal proof as divine truth. Call me a cynic, or call me a hardass, but that is the way I see it.

Cheers.
One also points out that you're perfectly willing to take a secondhand report of a verbal confirmation on the one side... (No, I understand, especially when it's consistent with the English spelling that turns up on Japanese merchandise, there's no reason to suspect it wouldn't end up that way. Unless you've worked in this industry, and then you ALWAYS expect it to end up that way just by default. ;p)

Fortunately, I don't have to worry tremendously about providing proof - I'm being paid to provide subtitles. But yeah, this kind of happening is entirely normal. I'm actually glad that it turned out as reasonably-done as it did - official naming is the source of many an inside horror story.

As far as suspicion, that's one reason that I've kept the old nick, ever since my pre-ADV days - so that I can say something like this and people can think "oh yeah, this is the guy who's been doing this for years". Even if nowadays I get asked about the chap with the arrow on his head... ;p
Old 2007-10-14, 17:07   Link #272
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

This will once again spark the entire Raging/Raising Heart debate.

Now I am curious though, aside from Nanoha's device, what is the official translation for Belka? Still Belka or Velka?
Old 2007-10-14, 17:32   Link #273
erien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV
Also, Arisa, Zafira, Letti, Excelion, Laevatein, Arthra, Midchilda, Belka, Alhazard. (Don't think I have any typos in there...) Mage. Dunno about "enforcer", hasn't shown up yet. The only really weird thing is Falin's last name, and it never actually shows up in the subs. So yeah, I'm plenty happy with it.
Small list of "official spellings" taken from the previous page.
Old 2007-10-14, 17:35   Link #274
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Whoops, missed that one. Thanks.
Old 2007-10-14, 18:19   Link #275
Once and Current Subber

I actually was going to use Belka anyway, if it wasn't on the list - had that conversation with a friend who spoke German, whose reaction was, "If it was supposed to be V it would be pronounced more like W in the first place." Of course, that makes the Ace Combat Zero references even better...
Old 2007-10-15, 01:03   Link #276
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Another one I'm wondering about, Yuuno's last name is 'Scrya' in the Japanese, but 'Scryer' would make more sense gramatically, while changing nothing in the Japanese pronounciation. Possible change?
Old 2007-10-15, 01:13   Link #277
Once and Current Subber

I've got Yuuno Scrya here. I agree that "Scryer" would be more grammatically correct, but it also gives me bad WOW jeebies. ;p
Old 2007-10-15, 01:41   Link #278
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Not everyone plays WoW though.

Besides, some of the more popular characters in the OC-thread are heavilly influenced by WoW, so it's not like its a bad thing.
Old 2007-10-15, 03:55   Link #279
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
Also, Arisa, Zafira, Letti, Excelion, Laevatein, Arthra, Midchilda, Belka, Alhazard. (Don't think I have any typos in there...) Mage. Dunno about "enforcer", hasn't shown up yet. The only really weird thing is Falin's last name, and it never actually shows up in the subs. So yeah, I'm plenty happy with it.
Although I'm a little dissapointed with them using Ragaing rather than Raising, partially due to more and more official japanese names being used rather than translations, on the whole that (and the other translations here) are fine by me. I mean at least they aren't totally butchered and pretty wholly accepted (partially from Triad's subs)

I just hope that they will provide (or geneon will change) the op in strikers (if they ever get it) so it fits with that instead of the official japanese.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2007-10-15, 23:00   Link #280
grgspunk

Hey, I've been wondering, how long does it usually take to sub an entire episode?
Closed Thread