AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-16, 06:52   Link #281
Once and Current Subber

At this point I really wouldn't worry about Strikers. (No, I don't know anything specific, but it's not in this batch either.)

The actual time it takes to subtitle an episode? Depends a lot on how talky it is, especially on how much overlapping text there is. Nanoha's actually on the easy end, and it still isn't something that I can knock out a volume in two days with. Plus there's the DVD subtitle generation, which is an entirely different kettle of fish...

At the same time, I'm doing about a volume a week despite being employed full-time elsewhere, so YMMV.
Old 2007-10-18, 01:46   Link #282
USCPharmacist

Hey if Geneon went belly up, then no one is gonna do Nanoha in the States.....bummer
Old 2007-10-18, 21:57   Link #283
Once and Current Subber

It's BEING done in the United States. Right now. Literally at this moment, in my case. Not even just the first volume, either. ;p
Old 2007-10-19, 05:15   Link #284
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
It's BEING done in the United States. Right now. Literally at this moment, in my case. Not even just the first volume, either. ;p
That is certainly good news, lets hope that there will be a distributor too.
Old 2007-10-20, 06:23   Link #285
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
At this point I really wouldn't worry about Strikers. (No, I don't know anything specific, but it's not in this batch either.)
Well, the way I look at it, either the series (Nanoha and A's) will bomb so badly they wont license StrikerS or it'll do well enough to them warrant talks about it.

So, obviously, since I don't want the series to bomb...

Now, I know that isn't always how it works, but one can hope right? (Although one could also argue that it getting licensed at all is a bad thing due to the butchering some companies do...)

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2007-10-20, 11:15   Link #286
grgspunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynor View Post
(Although one could also argue that it getting licensed at all is a bad thing due to the butchering some companies do...)
4kids is pretty much dead in the anime market, and Hirameki International is dead in the gaming market. I don't think we'll have to worry so much about it getting butchered as much as it not getting released at all...
Old 2007-10-21, 10:39   Link #287
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgspunk View Post
4kids is pretty much dead in the anime market, and Hirameki International is dead in the gaming market. I don't think we'll have to worry so much about it getting butchered as much as it not getting released at all...
While those were the extreme cases, there are still other cases/times where a good series has been ruined in the dub/sub process. Geneon is normally one of the betters for not butchering though. So I'm not worried about Nanoha getting that.

Edit: Of course, I suppose in some cases you could bring up the whole official vs official thing like was in the thread earlier... I'm mainly basing "butchering" off of what we've seen in subs compared to what comes on the DvDs. Although, at the same time, the VA is fairly important also when you're talking about licensed series. (Well to me since I tend to think of them on the whole with both subs and the dubs they do... even if I only normally watch the subs)

Old 2007-10-26, 00:47   Link #288
grgspunk

Wasn't there some sort of announcement saying they were going to stop all production efforts by the first week of November? Has there been any indication that this is actually bound to happen? You know, like a heads-up from the boss?
Old 2007-10-26, 13:37   Link #289
Xellos-_^
Married

Well someone is still paying avatar for his work

so even if Genon bows out someone has already taken over or will take over the Nanoha release
Old 2007-10-30, 10:06   Link #290
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Well someone is still paying avatar for his work

so even if Genon bows out someone has already taken over or will take over the Nanoha release
The fact that money has already been spent on the US DVDs would seem to argue that it would only make sense to release them. If they don't, then that investment is a total loss, while if they release it even if it doesn't turn a profit, it would at least defray some of the cost, right?

I can hope, can't I?
Old 2007-10-30, 13:35   Link #291
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

[QUOTE=grgspunk;1211370]4kids is pretty much dead in the anime market.QUOTE]

Thank god they are dead .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
The fact that money has already been spent on the US DVDs would seem to argue that it would only make sense to release them. If they don't, then that investment is a total loss, while if they release it even if it doesn't turn a profit, it would at least defray some of the cost, right?

I can hope, can't I?
I hope they do release the DVDs, if they don't then I will buy the none dubbed with the subs .

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
Old 2007-10-30, 18:26   Link #292
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
You're forgetting the option of them just showing it on TV. Although then that does lead to the question of why they are having Avatar do sub work... but that could just a simple case of they want that option for if it gets good ratings on TV and they work out their distro situation.

Old 2007-10-30, 19:48   Link #293
Once and Current Subber

Well, it could be just a manifestation of the gods liking me too, I guess. ;p

Rationally, though, they're having me do DVD subtitles, so presumably they plan to use the DVD subtitles. It's a significant amount of effort (and not zero on their end either, aside from the cash) to go through for a contingency plan. -I- wouldn't pay me to do it unless I was going to use the results...
Old 2007-11-01, 15:15   Link #294
grgspunk

So Avatar, how's the subbing going along?
Old 2007-11-01, 20:16   Link #295
Once and Current Subber

It goes well, thanks. Not terribly worried on the technical end - Nanoha's no Excel Saga.
Old 2007-11-07, 05:45   Link #296
grgspunk

Am I the only one here that finds it odd that Geneon isn't saying anything despite the fact that their production halt was scheduled yesterday?
Old 2007-11-07, 15:07   Link #297
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

I guess they'll say something when the time comes and it may take some time until they actually announce something regarding DVD releases.
Old 2007-11-09, 12:33   Link #298
Mad Dog
Banned

Quote:
Sorry but i must correct you there. Acording to Geneon Nanoha has been put on hold. all production for it has been halted until someone picks it up for distribution. Same thing has happend to all the animes they were in the middle of or were about to release.

But Geneon has also hinted that it could also cancel it's license of Nanoha altogether soon to due finacal issues.

Last edited by Mad Dog; 2007-11-09 at 12:53.
Old 2007-11-09, 14:22   Link #299
grgspunk

Quote:
Sorry but i must correct you there. Acording to Geneon Nanoha has been put on hold. all production for it has been halted until someone picks it up for distribution.
Where did you find this out? I mean, production companies like Bang Zoom have directly stated that production is still being done on unfinished titles like Higurashi and Rozen Maiden, even though we're past the November 6th halt date:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...-entertainment

(Note that this interview was taken on the 7th of November.)

So unless you have some sort of link to a announcement recently released (and I mean released within this month) directly by Geneon to confirm that production has indeed halted, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Quote:
But Geneon has also hinted that it could also cancel it's license of Nanoha altogether soon to due finacal issues.
How did they hint at this?
Old 2007-11-09, 20:39   Link #300
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
Sorry but i must correct you there. Acording to Geneon Nanoha has been put on hold. all production for it has been halted until someone picks it up for distribution. Same thing has happend to all the animes they were in the middle of or were about to release.
Sorry, but how can you possibly correct him? He's one of the ones actually working on it! If it were cancelled, you'd think he'd know since they might, you know, stop paying him or something...

As grgspunk alluded to, it's distribution that stopped, not production.
Closed Thread