AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-14, 07:06   Link #101
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

yea its bandai thats releasing Galaxy Angel Rune in Japanese with no dubs, but at a price for 30 bucks i think??!!...i forgot, but yea....well it would be interesting to see how the company would handle the dub for this series...
Old 2007-05-14, 07:23   Link #102
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
yea its bandai thats releasing Galaxy Angel Rune in Japanese with no dubs, but at a price for 30 bucks i think??!!
Welcome to my world. Anime is kinda hard to come by where I live, and if you manage to find it its either A: Imported, and therefore expensive, or B: Simply expensive.
Old 2007-05-14, 07:32   Link #103
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Welcome to my world. Anime is kinda hard to come by where I live, and if you manage to find it its either A: Imported, and therefore expensive, or B: Simply expensive.
yea imported anime that's not been licensed for any country other than japan is expensive!!
Old 2007-05-14, 07:39   Link #104
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
yea imported anime that's not been licensed for any country other than japan is expensive!!
Importing from America isn't exactly 'cheap' either, you know...
Old 2007-05-14, 07:41   Link #105
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Importing from America isn't exactly 'cheap' either, you know...
yea i know, importing anything isn't always cheap, the shipping cost is what gets most people.
Old 2007-05-14, 07:43   Link #106
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

And then there's the bloody region codes! I'm glad I have a region-free DVD player downstairs, and my laptop has been set to region 1.
Old 2007-05-14, 07:45   Link #107
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
yea i know, importing anything isn't always cheap, the shipping cost is what gets most people.
And the exchange rate, don't forget the exchange rate. I import frequently from Japan and the USA, and the exchange rate is MURDER.

Ouch!
Old 2007-05-14, 07:49   Link #108
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That's why, when I'm going to Canada in a few months, I will be plundering the shops there. I'm already saving up, and once I'm there, I will go in full plunder-mode, simply grabbing everything I can get my hands on. Manga, anime or otherwise.
Old 2007-05-14, 07:50   Link #109
Darco_emp
Bored and Lurking ~

Send a message via MSN to Darco_emp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
And the exchange rate, don't forget the exchange rate. I import frequently from Japan and the USA, and the exchange rate is MURDER.

Ouch!
It was quite good recently with the AUD exchange rate. I enjoyed the 1 AUD to 100 yen rates. Its the shipping fee that kills

Still it is surpising that Nanoha still have not have an offical US license considering it StrikerS is by about 40k post is ranked the top topic on 2ch

Last edited by Darco_emp; 2007-05-14 at 08:01.
Old 2007-05-14, 07:51   Link #110
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

Ouch!
woah there's exchange rate also??!!
man thats murder to anyone's wallet, let alone trying to import something including the base price, shpping, and exchange rate...ouch!
Old 2007-05-14, 09:15   Link #111
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

Quote:
That's why, when I'm going to Canada in a few months, I will be plundering the shops there. I'm already saving up, and once I'm there, I will go in full plunder-mode, simply grabbing everything I can get my hands on. Manga, anime or otherwise.
Err... watch out for bootlegs while you're there. Somethings that seem like a bargain actually aren't.
Old 2007-05-14, 09:17   Link #112
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Bootlegs? I'm not familiar with that term... what are bootlegs?
Old 2007-05-14, 09:24   Link #113
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

Quote:
In terms of anime, it's basically illegally made DVDs. Often, you'll find some DVDs for sale where its contents is basically just fansubs. If you find 5-6+ episodes on a single DVD, chances are it's a bootleg. Often a deal that seems too good to be true often is.

It's fairly common in Toronto where I live.
Old 2007-05-14, 09:24   Link #114
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Pirated merchandise. Copies. Fake goods. Etc...

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-14, 09:25   Link #115
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmmm, I'll keep that in mind, thank you.
Old 2007-05-14, 09:46   Link #116
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

Quote:
Hmmm, I'll keep that in mind, thank you.
I'm rather surprised that you're unaware of them. As an anime fan, it's important to know about these things, as buying them doesn't support the anime industry, nor do we actually get any more quality than what we would've gotten by just downloading. It's really lose-lose for those in the know.

Not to mention they're so common that many people I know have many bootleg DVDs without realizing.
Old 2007-05-14, 09:56   Link #117
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
I'm rather surprised that you're unaware of them. As an anime fan, it's important to know about these things, as buying them doesn't support the anime industry, nor do we actually get any more quality than what we would've gotten by just downloading. It's really lose-lose for those in the know.

Not to mention they're so common that many people I know have many bootleg DVDs without realizing.
Well, as I said, Anime is hard to come by where I live. The only stores that actually sell them are the heavy duty import stores (the ones filled with figurines, collectors items etc.) So my contact with that sort of stuff is limited to say the least.
Old 2007-05-14, 10:01   Link #118
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

Quote:
Well, as I said, Anime is hard to come by where I live. The only stores that actually sell them are the heavy duty import stores (the ones filled with figurines, collectors items etc.) So my contact with that sort of stuff is limited to say the least.
Ahh… well can I ask where you live? And where in Canada you plan on going?
Old 2007-05-14, 10:05   Link #119
xizro345
King's Justice

I know it's quite uncommon as opinion but, given the records of US releases for quality (not referring to adaptation or translation, just on how DVDs are done), I'll probably stick with R2 JP DVDs (which I'm ordering as soon as a firm release date is set). Most R1 anime DVDs (save "famous series", and I don't expect Nanoha to be one) are - in my opinion - no more than a "VHS copy", meaning they offer too low for their price (even the - again save for very popular titles - so-called "limited editions"). Maybe I'm spoiled a bit, but the EU R2 Italian anime DVDs, while scarce, offer much more than the typical R1 release.
Old 2007-05-14, 10:08   Link #120
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Ahh… well can I ask where you live? And where in Canada you plan on going?
I live in Europe, Netherlands to be precise. Our anime market is quite tame, unless you know where to look.

As for Canada we intend to go to Niagra Falls.
Closed Thread