AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-06, 09:46   Link #1
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Bootleg/subbed animes

It has come to my attention that this subject of bootleg and subbing animes can not be dropped! First of all I do not encourage everyone to buy illegal copies of animes.
I was in several situation were a anime was licensed and I couldn't dl/ed it? Whether I was right or wrong (in this case wrong!) I bought the unlicensed versions! I wanted to finish watching the series. * please note AnimeSuki does not support any illegal/unlicensed anime! NOR....do I care what people do with there money is thier own business? I kinda slipped when I mentioned I bought a series that wasn't licensed! oops!

I do love my anime, and I hate not knowing what happened? Telling me or reading it is not the same as seeing it. I know lots of you will have something to say about this and this thread might closed or get deleted. Its ok to voice your opinon but keep it civil please.

Last edited by Cammie; 2004-01-06 at 16:10.
Old 2004-01-06, 10:01   Link #2
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammie
I has come to my attention that this subject of bootleg and subbing animes can not be dropped! First of all I do not encourage everyone to buy illegal copies of animes.
I was in several situation were a anime was licensed and I couldn't dl/ed it? Whether I was right or wrong (in this case wrong!) I bought the unlicensed versions! I wanted to finish watching the series. * please note AnimeSuki does not support any illegal/unlicensed anime! NOR....do I care what people do with there money is thier own business? I kinda slipped when I mentioned I bought a series that wasn't licensed! oops!

I do love my anime, and I hate not knowing what happened? Telling me or reading it is not the same as seeing it. I know lots of you will have something to say about this and this thread might closed or get deleted. Its ok to voice your opinon but keep it civil please.
Sorry Cammie, I'm not sure I fully understand which side you are coming from here. You say "First of all I do not encourage everyone to buy illegal copies of animes," yet you mention that you "bought the unlicensed versions". I take it that you have bought bootleg anime before, but are you trying to defend it?

Are you talking about situations where a series is licensed half way through, at which point it is dropped by the ethical subbers, and therefore harder to find? If this is the case, and you "hate not knowing what happened", then why not wait for the DVD releases?
Old 2004-01-06, 10:16   Link #3
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

All I'm trying to say is that I was wrong to purchase illegal anime dvds. "BUT" I'm not ashamed to admit that I do buy them for my personal viewing. Ok! if thats the only bad thing I do then...... whatever? Nor do I support any one particular company? I just want to see my anime!
Old 2004-01-06, 10:55   Link #4
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

I did buy Hong Kong DVDs at one point, being under the false impression that they were licensed for sale in Hong Kong and Malaysia (people who sell them on eBay often trick you into believing this). I like the good quality on the ones I have, but I would never buy them again now that I know what they are.

By buying them, even for your personal viewing, you are hurting everyone who worked on the anime and supporting real bootlegging piracy, much worse than supposed Internet "piracy".

Wait for the DVDs, or if you're all that impatient, download the fansubs or HK DVD rips (from Direct Connect). Although downloading licensed anime is immoral, it is far higher on the Scale of Ethics than buying anime from simple thieves.
Old 2004-01-06, 11:44   Link #5
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Quote:
Ok! if thats the only bad thing I do then...... whatever? Nor do I support any one particular company? I just want to see my anime!
Consider once again what you wrote. It's the same kind of wrong thinking like 'I don't go voting since my vote counts so littel anyway'.
You have to go voting if you want something to change because every vote is important. Just like you have to buy licensed releases in order to keep the anime industry alive.
Old 2004-01-06, 12:01   Link #6
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer
Consider once again what you wrote. It's the same kind of wrong thinking like 'I don't go voting since my vote counts so littel anyway'.
You have to go voting if you want something to change because every vote is important. Just like you have to buy licensed releases in order to keep the anime industry alive.
You know your right! but the anime business has been going strong for decades now! once again I'm not saying its OK! This topic can expand into many things involving copying anime to a disc to subbing anime? So, whos right or wrong in this?

If I dl a anime I usually delete it and move on to the next episode isn't that what you are suppose to do?
Old 2004-01-06, 12:10   Link #7
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

OK, so the thing here that you baught a anime bootleg and you admit that it was wrong, but you then justify your actions by claming that you "just want to watch your anime" and that your one purchase dosent matter. Im I getting this right?

Well, your right your one purchase dosent matter, It would hardly be noticed on a large scale. But what does count is that this kind of thinking is addictive, you can use it as an exuse over and over agian. And the danger is that if more people start to think like this soon it will be noticed and bad things will start to happen.

And as for "just want to watch my anime", well Id love to watch me 1 million dollars but I dont go in to a bank and steal em do I

Now I can understand your desire to watch anime, I live in a country where buying bootlegs is probably the only way to get animes (not enteirly true, Sweden is getting better on the anime front ), but please do anything you can (I do mean anything) to refrain from buying those bootlegs
Old 2004-01-06, 12:16   Link #8
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Voodoo
OK, so the thing here that you baught a anime bootleg and you admit that it was wrong, but you then justify your actions by claming that you "just want to watch your anime" and that your one purchase dosent matter. Im I getting this right?

Well, your right your one purchase dosent matter, It would hardly be noticed on a large scale. But what does count is that this kind of thinking is addictive, you can use it as an exuse over and over agian. And the danger is that if more people start to think like this soon it will be noticed and bad things will start to happen.

And as for "just want to watch my anime", well Id love to watch me 1 million dollars but I dont go in to a bank and steal em do I

Now I can understand your desire to watch anime, I live in a country where buying bootlegs is probably the only way to get animes (not enteirly true, Sweden is getting better on the anime front ), but please do anything you can (I do mean anything) to refrain from buying those bootlegs
Once again think about it.........? all of us are guilty one way or another dl/ing subbed anime which is unlicensed.
Old 2004-01-06, 12:23   Link #9
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

Quote:
Once again think about it.........? all of us are guilty one way or another dl/ing subbed anime which is unlicensed.

Yes we are all breaking the law for dl fansubbs, but the big diffrence here is that the fansubbers dont make money from it, it actually cost them money if anything to make these subbs, Bootlegers steal your money for somthing that is not an official version. Money wich should have gone to the makers of the anime when they decided to release a DVD (or whatever) with that anime.
Now I know that not evryone buys a anime they'v dl when it comes out (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!) and I confess not even I have baught some of the animes I'v dl (they suck mucho bado). But atleast some people do and the makers of the anime get a few bucks (evryone is happy )

So the real thing with bootlegs is where the money goes. If the bootlegers where to put the money they make and send it all to the makers of the anime its ok ^_^; (Like that would EVER happen)
Old 2004-01-06, 12:37   Link #10
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Quote:
Yes we are all breaking the law for dl fansubbs, but the big diffrence here is that the fansubbers dont make money from it, it actually cost them money if anything to make these subbs, Bootlegers steal your money for somthing that is not an official version. Money wich should have gone to the makers of the anime when they decided to release a DVD (or whatever) with that anime.
Now I know that not evryone buys a anime they'v dl when it comes out (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!) and I confess not even I have baught some of the animes I'v dl (they suck mucho bado). But atleast some people do and the makers of the anime get a few bucks (evryone is happy )

So the real thing with bootlegs is where the money goes. If the bootlegers where to put the money they make and send it all to the makers of the anime its ok ^_^; (Like that would EVER happen)
You said it yourself doll... (Yes we are all breaking the law for dl fansubbs) theres really no excuse?
Old 2004-01-06, 12:42   Link #11
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

Quote:
You said it yourself doll... (Yes we are all breaking the law for dl fansubbs) theres really no excuse?

Yep I know it ^_^
The thing is, how do you break it, does anyone make money from it and the most important how much of a hypocrite you can be ^_^
Old 2004-01-06, 12:47   Link #12
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
u are suppose to delete it after you're done watching free downloaded anime right? it's the right thing to do.. but let's be honest with each other.. almost everyone in here either keeps their favorite anime(s) on their hardrive or copy it on cdr or dvd-r so they can watch it anytime they want. i can take it one step further and confidently say that almost everyone will NOT buy the official version of that anime once it has been licensed (unless they love their DVD collection to that extreme)... just doesn't make sense. you already have an excellent translated version of it so why are you going to buy a licensed DVD version that has basically the same thing?... basically, the creators of the anime can almost consider you as a lost customer. the only thing they gain from u is a fan who may recommend the anime to friends... but a bootlegged version will do that as well non?

of course i don't endorse buying bootlegged anime but can you all honestly say that none of you have bought them. am i to believe you (anime fansub freaks) have been watching only licensed anime and not buying anything overseas?... yeah okay... i know exactly how i started out as an anime fan. and it was by word of mouth and by importing cheap bootlegged anime (i was a poor middle school/high school/college student)... just because anime has recently become mainstream and it's "oh no! bootlegged anime is dead wrong!".. well if the anime is not licensed, i don't see anything wrong in importing either the official foreign version or a good fansubbed bootlegged version. in this day and age of napster/kazaa, i'd think EVERYONE in here has committed some type of crime involving illegal copies. but that's just my opinion and no one else's...

anyway, i always buy the official licensed version unless:
(1) it's not available (not licensed yet or will never be licensed)
(2) i know the licensed version is crappy (Ruronin Kenshin is a great example).

Quote:
Old 2004-01-06, 12:49   Link #13
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Quote:
Yep I know it ^_^
The thing is, how do you break it, does anyone make money from it and the most important how much of a hypocrite you can be ^_^
Ok! please refrain from name calling because that leads to flamming ok!

Thanks
Cammie
Old 2004-01-06, 12:58   Link #14
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Cammie,

I don't think Dark Voodoo was calling you a hypocrite. he was generalizing I think... maybe.. probably...

Quote:

Thanks
Cammie
Old 2004-01-06, 13:06   Link #15
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Well, is it OK to say that people who are buying stolen anime, even though they know it's stolen, are pretty stupid?

Here, let me illustrate this for you:

Old 2004-01-06, 13:17   Link #16
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Well, is it OK to say that people who are buying stolen anime, even though they know it's stolen, are pretty stupid?
ashibaka,

Anyway you look at it or say we are all wrong? I least I admit that I'm wrong for buying illegal dvds. I do dl/ed my favorite ones which are still considered unlicensed? but think about it they might be doing the same thing with our shows overseas, I'm not saying its ok?
Old 2004-01-06, 13:19   Link #17
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

so let me change it up a bit then... so is it okay for me to download fansub from here and then convert them to DVD for my own private use? I know some people have been doing it here because i've seen some questions about how to convert divx files to DVD-burnable format... how is that so much different from buying an illegal copy of an anime? i am just paying for the service of someone converting it for me now in theory..

Quote:

Old 2004-01-06, 13:21   Link #18
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Quote:

Thanks for the illustration! LOL... but aren't we watching stolen anime subbs? Hey, but I like the way you think.....
Old 2004-01-06, 13:29   Link #19
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

Quote:

Thanks
Cammie
Sorry I wasent flamming you. I'm as much a hypocrite as you are for dl fansubbs, my point is that to some extent we all are a little bit hipocritical when it comes to anime. And that dosent have to be a bad thing you know
Old 2004-01-06, 13:33   Link #20
Esperchld
Photographer

ok, we have estabilished that we are all watching stolen copies. Next is to establish which is worse, fencing of free giving.
Closed Thread