AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-07, 14:48   Link #21
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Love gossiping. Thanks Aohige!

You are absolutely right of course! I refer to mecha as "downer" for my own distinct disliking for the drama element a lot of these mecha shows bring over. I just can't stand the angst associated with these kind of show with the typical plot about fate-of-the-world-rests-on-the-shoulder-of-a-few-angsty-whiny-teenagers and such. I don't mind the repeat/recycling of the plot, it's the overflowing of angst that gets to me. Shows like Evangelion has scarred me beyond repair. That said, I'm not totally anti-mecha genere since I've thoroughly enjoyed Macross Zero OVA for the godly animation, FMP, Vandread, Sousei Aquarion ( ) for it's hilarious parody where it makes the typical mecha-plot it's target.. and etc. As I said, this is solely my own bias and I only speak for myself.
Hmmm again that's not entirely fair as not all of them are like that. You need to find the right ones for you. I'm always open to people who need to find good mecha series, but nobody ever asks so I can't really do anything, right. You can ask for ones that fit your liking, because they are out there and I know where to find them.

Anyway, You were right about this series being a downer though, but kind of for the wrong reasons. It wouldn't surprise me if it is all a rumour though as its not unheard of for a Japanese company to exagerate circumstances to generate to discussion about a series. It saves face from outright lying, which is important in Japan, or at least used to be, but it still seems more like something FOX would do. I don't know what to think.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 22:53   Link #22
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Off topic: That is the beauty of being an individual, where perspective varies from person to person. Reasoning or opinion doesn't need to make sense to others as long as it makes sense to the one who helds it. Anyway, here is a thread in the suggestion forum that is asking for Military Anime. Suggest away! Names only. Don't break any rules.
Old 2007-03-08, 10:09   Link #23
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Major site facelift with good and bad news:

http://www.kissdum.com/staff.html

The good news - Nagaoka is still in-charge... maybe... as "supervising director" and "story editor"

The bad news - The culprits behind the entire "OMG THE PROJECT IS DOOMED" blogs are indeed now the director and co-director respectively

The plot thickens.....
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 10:33   Link #24
wao
OK.

Eh, how do you know that the culprits behind the blogs are the director and co-director? And not teh animation director as previously stated? (I'm not really keeping up so I'm a bit lost)

And huh, that's interesting. First time I've seen a Korean as the art director, but Satelight does have a good working record with Korean studios (I remember some entire eps of Aquarion were Korean-done to the point of even being Korean-directed, but they turned out not bad)

Wonder who or what "Roman Toma" (art design) is..

Ergh, I really hope the staff are OK. I will be extremely impressed if they still pull through and make it good through sheer effort.
Old 2007-03-08, 12:45   Link #25
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Eh, how do you know that the culprits behind the blogs are the director and co-director? And not teh animation director as previously stated? (I'm not really keeping up so I'm a bit lost)
Because it says so in the official page?
Koube was to be just one of the animation directors (作画監督)
but he's moved up to co-director (assistant director) in the new credits.

It matches with what he said on his blog, that he's gonna be moved to a position to do most of the directing work.

Nagaoka is repositioned as "supervising director", which means he won't be involved much in the show at all...
The director is changed to "Eiichi Satou"
.............................who?

It looks like what Koube said on his blog is coming true, getting a random guy from Satelight to become director in place.
Old 2007-03-08, 12:49   Link #26
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
So much DRAMA on the internets!
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 15:01   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I didn't even notice Two Mixx in there. Just Wild Beat Communication. There's some memories. Hopefully the updated for the 21st century thing doesn't mean they suck now and sing idol pop songs.
Old 2007-03-08, 15:17   Link #28
DangerMouse

Cool and sleek looking character designs and sweet fighter craft/mechs (as expected), I really hope that somehow they get it together and straighten everything out and produce a good show...I love my scifi shows so this is sad...

First Mardock Scramble gets pulled mere "moments" before being finished despite sounding lavishily animated and based on what's supposed to be an amazing story (and the last show that had gotten similar attention and staff from Gonzo was the phenomenal Last Exile) and now a cool-looking show falling apart just before it's set to air...sigh...why must scifi projects that don't overly cater to the "mainstream" run into trouble so often...(in both animation and live action)...

Somehow this drama makes me want to watch it though...maybe they'll pull off something surprising with all the craziness going on. I wonder what happened to make them seem unsure about the original concept they had.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-03-08 at 16:22.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 19:48   Link #29
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
why must scifi projects that don't overly cater to the "mainstream" run into trouble so often...(in both animation and live action)...
Wait... WHAT?!

Did you read the synopsis of Kissdum? It's almost as if it is screaming "RUN-OF-THE-MILL MECHA" at you. It pretty much covers all the usual plot points.

I don't really see what exactly out of the ordinary you saw in this show and how it's possible to compare this to Mardock Scramble (I hate that it got pulled as well, though).
Old 2007-03-08, 20:31   Link #30
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Wait... WHAT?!

Did you read the synopsis of Kissdum? It's almost as if it is screaming "RUN-OF-THE-MILL MECHA" at you. It pretty much covers all the usual plot points.

I don't really see what exactly out of the ordinary you saw in this show and how it's possible to compare this to Mardock Scramble (I hate that it got pulled as well, though).
Generally run of the mill mecha would be something more like Voltes V, Golion, Godmars, Daimos etc. All of these series followed the exact same formula of Machine Beast of the week, fly around in smaller craft and get beat up, regroup and come up with an obvious tactic to beat the enemy, form into the title robot and use your special move to finish it off. They also ran about 50 episodes on average so they got old really really quickly. There's really not enough of a plot summary here to say whether it's going to be some sort of monster of the week gimmick or event style storytelling (I don't really have term for the non-monster of the week style storytelling, I prefer serial or progressive, basically the plot doesn't appear to take a stride forward and a step back with each passing episode). What is certain is its most definetely a Shounen series.
Old 2007-03-08, 21:00   Link #31
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Nagaoka is repositioned as "supervising director", which means he won't be involved much in the show at all...
This is not true. Tomino is always a "supervising director" now on all his major projects, and so is Takahashi (Bakumatsu, FLAG), but they both still have total control over their projects and contribute more to the projects than anyone else on the staff.

Of course the situation here is very different, and with the "Original Story" credit being changed from Nagaoka/Satelight to Satelight/New Business Enterprise, you gotta wonder what happened in production.
Old 2007-03-08, 21:11   Link #32
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Generally run of the mill mecha would be something more like Voltes V, Golion, Godmars, Daimos etc. All of these series followed the exact same formula of Machine Beast of the week, fly around in smaller craft and get beat up, regroup and come up with an obvious tactic to beat the enemy, form into the title robot and use your special move to finish it off. They also ran about 50 episodes on average so they got old really really quickly.
You are talking about the Golden Age of mecha (70's), while I am speaking about here and now. Those are two different things.

Kissdum sounds like it's another coming of Argento Soma/Zegapain/RahXephon, etc. A secret organization with mecha set to fight monsters/robots/aliens. A young pilot kicks butt in his spiffy mecha. We've been there before. 8)
Old 2007-03-08, 22:12   Link #33
DangerMouse

Quote:
Kissdum sounds like it's another coming of Argento Soma/Zegapain/RahXephon, etc. A secret organization with mecha set to fight monsters/robots/aliens. A young pilot kicks butt in his spiffy mecha. We've been there before. 8)
Quote:
Wait... WHAT?!

Having a setup that's been done before isn't really what I had in mind as a characteristic of shows that pander to the mainstream.

The only reason I mentioned Mardock Scramble was simply because it was another scifi series I was looking forwards to that ran into trouble recently, and now weird stuff was going on with this new scifi show. If you're familiar with US television you'll know that scifi series (even the best and most well thought out of them) almost always sadly have issues airing or staying on the air etc, which as a scifi fan is always frustrating ^^; It's always been great that one of my favorite genres has always been popular in anime

Quote:
Yeah it really sucks, I was really expecting that to be my next favorite masterpiece (to me anyway), it was hitting all of my buttons. What with the cool synopsis I read in Newtype USA and the knowledge of it's award-winning novel base, and one of my favorite character designers (Range Murata) and many others of the same staff whose last collaboration on a huge Gonzo project had produced one of my all-time favorites, the original Last Exile. That's not to mention the drool-inducing glimpse of the sweet new art style they were going to do in that rediculously short trailer...I was really looking forwards to that because it felt like the perfect Gonzo scifi style despite not seeing much more than stills of it. Knowing Gonzo it was going to be a visual feast and probably their new signature work since LE.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-03-09 at 01:24.
Old 2007-03-09, 01:33   Link #34
wao
OK.

Quote:
Because it says so in the official page?
Koube was to be just one of the animation directors (作画監督)
but he's moved up to co-director (assistant director) in the new credits.

It matches with what he said on his blog, that he's gonna be moved to a position to do most of the directing work.

The director is changed to "Eiichi Satou"
.............................who?

It looks like what Koube said on his blog is coming true, getting a random guy from Satelight to become director in place.
Argh, I see, that's what you mean. Sorry, I misunderstood you...

Whatever I remember of 神戸 is that he did do that wonderful episode of Chevalier with that great scene of Anna crying. Although that's no basis upon which to guess what sort of job he'll do in this context

From the top of my head I think I remember 佐藤英一 did a lot of Satelight work, iirc he was the assistant director for one of their works (was it Macross Zero or Arjuna?) and I remember seeing him around in Arjuna and Aquarion.

For him to get suddenly shoved there and for all this drama... like I said, it's like waching a car crash, tis not a good thing but you can't keep yourself from watching.
Old 2007-03-09, 01:53   Link #35
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
This is not true. Tomino is always a "supervising director" now on all his major projects, and so is Takahashi (Bakumatsu, FLAG), but they both still have total control over their projects and contribute more to the projects than anyone else on the staff.

Of course the situation here is very different, and with the "Original Story" credit being changed from Nagaoka/Satelight to Satelight/New Business Enterprise, you gotta wonder what happened in production.
Actually, most supervising director does very little on the set, the director does most of the work. They stick to overseeing.
But as you mentioned, Tomino is.... quite unique. In a good sense, of course.
But don't think our beloved bald-headed living-legend director is a norm.

The subtitle for the first episode is 終焉 (spelled Shuuen, but dubbed Owari).
Shuuen means "end of it all", "come to an end", "last moment", "the end", you get the idea.
The conte work for it is credited to both Nagaoka and the newly appointed director Satou.
Hopefully it's at least done.

The first episode will air 4/3 Tuesday night 1:00AM (4/4 1:00 AM) Japan time, TV Tokyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
From the top of my head I think I remember 佐藤英一 did a lot of Satelight work, iirc he was the assistant director for one of their works (was it Macross Zero or Arjuna?) and I remember seeing him around in Arjuna and Aquarion.
Apparantly, Satoh is known for being the assistant director for Arjuna.
He doesn't have many credited position under his belt, but he may have worked as uncredited lowly animator level for years.

Last edited by aohige; 2007-03-09 at 02:09.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 10:47   Link #36
DangerMouse

Quote:
The subtitle for the first episode is 終焉 (spelled Shuuen, but dubbed Owari). Shuuen means "end of it all", "come to an end", "last moment", "the end", you get the idea.
Sounds like it's a darker more serious scifi show too. Too bad it's having all these issues...Wao's right though, I can't look away, I like those kinds of shows and somehow this potential train wreck might lead to something interesting lol.

Quote:
The conte work for it is credited to both Nagaoka and the newly appointed director Satou.
Hopefully it's at least done.
Atleast the man with the original story idea is still there and didn't completely leave keeping all of the secrets to himself lol. Given the other staff on the show I hope this fresh new director gets some tips from them. At this point I'm hoping for atleast some good Satellite "end of the world" action, but I'm keeping my expectations down since it's probably being thrown together fast.

Let the train wreck begin, maybe it'll lead to some unusual developments

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-03-09 at 10:58.
Old 2007-03-10, 12:32   Link #37
wao
OK.

The wonderful things one finds on manganimation.net. Newtype spread scans scooped off 2ch! Thanks to Manuloz.

Aw damn, Sushio, I love your illustrations. Look at that! His one-person illustration is so much richer and interesting than the typical animag spread. Just lovely. *claps*

Although, pardon me for seriously thinking this was actually a spread for the Aquarion OVA by mistake, that main character dude is REALLY channeling Apollo...

Also they've still got the "old" credits in the scan, I guess they had it sent for printing before any changes could be made...
Old 2007-03-13, 13:58   Link #38
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Nagaoka updated his blog again. It's about episode 2 this time. He said he had a cold yesterday but they're still doing voice recording. He also comments on how the CG quality is of a really high quality, and he's very satisfied with it. I'm really starting to wonder if Nagaoka's blog and Kanbe's blog were just taken over by some bored Satelight viral marketer to spark interest for the show over on 2ch. ^^;;
Old 2007-03-13, 21:54   Link #39
DangerMouse

LOL, nice, so it is going to have good eye candy like the very nice character designs were making me hope. Now if only a good story will come of all this chaos...

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-03-13 at 22:18.
Old 2007-03-16, 09:09   Link #40
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Video Game news site eg has some interviews of the voice casts for Kiss Dum, as well as details of the characters and summary for the first episode.

However, they... um... accidently put Afro Samurai episode 1 summary in place for Kiss Dum episod 1.

Cracked me up.

Hopefully they'll get that fixed so we can get some info of the first ep.