AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-03, 11:58   Link #61
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Well, the first episode seems to have aired. The pictures on Futaba aren't superimpressive so far, but that, of course, isn't a very good barometer.
Ack, I so want to watch this.
/me waits for the raw
What are the impressions of the people who've seen it, there on 2chan (I never bother browsing around there since my japanese reading skills are really really poor)?
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 15:51   Link #62
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Ack, I so want to watch this.
/me waits for the raw
What are the impressions of the people who've seen it, there on 2chan (I never bother browsing around there since my japanese reading skills are really really poor)?
Generally good, but not like they matter much, they've hated a number of excellent shows like Kemonozume.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 16:01   Link #63
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Eh. Well, if it's going to be fun just like Aquarion was, that's more than enough for me to watch this show. And I'm a fanboy of Shoji Kawamori's designs anyway, so even if this serie won't turn out well I might still follow it, hehe.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 16:07   Link #64
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

If my interest is a website, then Macross would be one of my keyword for the search engine.

Kissdum Engage Planet

Now i just have to hunt down that raw for it
Old 2007-04-03, 20:30   Link #65
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I loved the first episode to pieces (and shall give a solid review after another watch), but damn it all --- why couldn't there have been an OP for the first episode? ;____;

The fact that its more Two-Mix (under a new name that is II MIX DELTA) had me melting in my seat back when i heard the news. Ah well, at least i can hear a piece of the song in the Sponsors part. :3
Old 2007-04-03, 20:36   Link #66
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Same here, Shiroth. I found myself wondering if it'd be something new or a TV-size version of something from Delta Universe I/II. It's new.
Old 2007-04-03, 20:58   Link #67
flou
That's no lady

I wasn't all that impressed with the first episode due to all the CG and the fluctuating animation quality which is probably due to all the problems the production faced earlier on and the unexperienced animation director (it's his first job as animation director). I do have hope that it will improve because of Sushio's involvement, but my expectations have been lowered a lot. However, on the plus side, the opening and ending theme songs (although there was no animated sequence for either and only a short portion of the ending was played) sounded great and upbeat. Also, the mechanical designs by Kawamori-sensei were pretty nice. I'll probably continue watching this anime for a few more episodes at least and hope things look up.
Old 2007-04-03, 21:13   Link #68
SuperAsuradaGundam

Send a message via AIM to SuperAsuradaGundam
Just watched the first episode and all I can say is that itwas awesome. There was a lot of action in this episode. I wasn;t paying much attention on animation quality although I did hear there was some production troubles in the beginning, nor the story because I don't speak Japanese, but I was impressed with what I saw.
Old 2007-04-03, 21:16   Link #69
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

I'm still trying to figure out what relevance the story has with the prologue. Does the girl in the prologue have a role in this series?

Anyway, the episode was pretty good. I was actually surprised with the amount of destruction in it (I totally didn't see that purple disk thing coming in the scene with the girl looking out the window and talking). The show seems to be good, so I'm planning on sticking with it.
Old 2007-04-03, 21:52   Link #70
aardvark

I thought it was...pretty bad :/

I think the various stories about a troubled production for this are pretty much proven when seeing this episode. The animation was REALLY underwhelming, I couldn't beleive this was the first episode of Satelight's new Show, not to mention they didnt even complete the ED sequence (maybe intentional since the OP song played instead of the ED? Dunno). No other way I can understand how dodgy this whole thing looked in some parts. Although the CG itself for the mechs WAS pretty damn good I think, but thats about it.

Dunno, the whole thing was just a huge "meh". From animation, to characters to the music (which was downright bad I thought). I'll keep watching for the moment seeing as the staff should be getting settled in more, but this first episode didn't inspire any confidence whatsoever...

Huge disappointment, as opposed to Heroic Age which was surprisingly good...
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 00:19   Link #71
DangerMouse

I like good CG so I may be a little biased but I'm with the others who thought the animated action was really excellent and as the trailer suggested had a lot "destructiveness", I love the CG aircraft and I really like how the character designs look for the main characters (I only noticed a bit of choppiness once, but for those who found it more noticeable perhaps the 2D animation will smooth out like in most of the scenes as the show goes on since the characters look great I thought and perhaps the director gets more comfortable). This and Heroic Age are definitely on my epic scifi plate this season. Heroic Age is more "polished" animation-wise but I like this show's style too (and Macross-like combat) if they can just smooth the one or two hiccups some of you seem to have noticed.

Not all first episodes have the full ED, just like they don't always have the OP so I wasn't surprised even if it was done to spend more time on the episodes themselves if the early problems caused any slight delays.

I'm usually the first one killing fanservicey support characters but as her character design showed, in animation Rei was very cute and nicely fanserviced. Perhaps it's because she was surprisingly serious and not an over-the-top nuissance I got to enjoy her cuteness. Without knowing the dialogue, Rukina reminds me of Shion from the Xenosaga games that I love. Since there's nothing written about her little sister on the site I hope she is useful and not annoying in the show since her outfit makes her seem the adventurous type perhaps and I usually like those more than the less active characters.

Kirii's design is cool, but without understanding the dialogue or the character description on the site and knowing anime watching it for so long (and internet translators make it even more confusing) is Kirii supposed to be the overly serious boyish-female or overly serious "little brother" of the squadron, the voice certainly doesn't help lol? He/She seemed to be more concerned with covering up the top in that one scene but the voice leans me towards a guy...LOL... I skipped around a bit so Kirii's actions may have given it away somewhere in the episode that I might have missed.

Shushio did a really nice job on the character design IMO, even more so if this is really his first go as main character designer.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-04-04 at 01:07.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 04:42   Link #72
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Oh, my, how mediocre that was. The character designs were lame, fighter combat was almost an afterthought and the story is completely nonsensical.

The first episode just felt so... second-class. I don't mean to say that this was a complete yashigeni, but still, definitely a lower-budget anime. Nobody just gave enough of a f**k to produce something worthwhile out of Kissdum.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 09:38   Link #73
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Jet fighter with combat pod, artifact from ancient civilizations, some mutant aliens.

Yep, looks another macross-sorta anime.
Old 2007-04-04, 10:28   Link #74
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well like every mecha anime to come out this year its been slammed upside the wall and been accused of being generic, just as surely as every new generic harem dating-siming show has been praised and showered with adoration no matter how many times we've seen IT before. Maybe there is no room for the genre in the age of Doujin, Dating-Sims and Moe.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 10:57   Link #75
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I hate date-sim conversions, no matter how well-made they are. But still, KissDum #1 was bad.

I don't know if they'll be an all-around good mecha series this year. Reideen has it's weaknesses, Aquarion would be short. Gigantic Formula, perhaps? The only problem with that series is that it somewhat reminds me of G Gundam. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 11:14   Link #76
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
I hate date-sim conversions, no matter how well-made they are. But still, KissDum #1 was bad.

I don't know if they'll be an all-around good mecha series this year. Reideen has it's weaknesses, Aquarion would be short. Gigantic Formula, perhaps? The only problem with that series is that it somewhat reminds me of G Gundam. 8)
I don't know, Gurren-Lagann is already amazing... and Bokurano will too, the manga is great and the director is brilliant.

Waiting for a fansub to comment on Kissdum, I really like Sushio's designs but it seems the actual 2D animation is fairly bad for a first episode. We'll see.
Old 2007-04-04, 11:16   Link #77
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:

That's good because G Gundam was my second favourite AU. Hmmm.... you sure it reminded you of G Gundam.
Old 2007-04-04, 11:17   Link #78
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
That's good because G Gundam was my second favourite AU. Hmmm.... you sure it reminded you of G Gundam.
KissDum is nothing like G Gundam... Gigantic Formula is, as it has nations fighting in a mecha tournament to decide who controls the world.
Old 2007-04-04, 11:18   Link #79
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Well like every mecha anime to come out this year its been slammed upside the wall and been accused of being generic, just as surely as every new generic harem dating-siming show has been praised and showered with adoration no matter how many times we've seen IT before. Maybe there is no room for the genre in the age of Doujin, Dating-Sims and Moe.
I think you're talking rubbish, frankly. I don't think anyone's said Heroic Age or Gurren Lagann are generic - Gurren Lagann is unashamedly reminiscent of shounen tropes, certainly, but it does everything with such bombast and panache it's hard to say it's "generic", and Heroic Age has mecha involved as a sideline yet is still a very interesting show. The other mecha shows so far this year have been remakes or sequels so it's not surprising complaints about them being uninspired have been levied.

Trust me, the people watching Kissdum raw will not be those watching the dating sim shows. Until I've taken the time to watch it properly tonight I can't pass comment on Kissdum; however, from briefly skimming through the raw this morning the animation quality is poor and the episode comes across as being rushed through, which is hardly an indicator of quality regardless of story content. You'll note that, whilst MrProphet didn't like it much, there are other people in this thread like DangerMouse who really enjoyed it; everyone's entitled to their own views, as you're very fond of saying in other threads, so don't go tarring everyone at ASuki with the same brush!

That said, there's not been that many dating/ero-game shows so far this season, and even then one of them (Polyphonica) has had a very lukewarm reception and no-one knows what the hell is going on in Touka Gettan anyway, so I wouldn't say that moe HAS completely conquered the industry; its insidious powers always come to a peak in the January and July seasons, after all.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 11:33   Link #80
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
I think you're talking rubbish, frankly. I don't think anyone's said Heroic Age or Gurren Lagann are generic - Gurren Lagann is unashamedly reminiscent of shounen tropes, certainly, but it does everything with such bombast and panache it's hard to say it's "generic", and Heroic Age has mecha involved as a sideline yet is still a very interesting show. The other mecha shows so far this year have been remakes or sequels so it's not surprising complaints about them being uninspired have been levied.

Trust me, the people watching Kissdum raw will not be those watching the dating sim shows. Until I've taken the time to watch it properly tonight I can't pass comment on Kissdum; however, from briefly skimming through the raw this morning the animation quality is poor and the episode comes across as being rushed through, which is hardly an indicator of quality regardless of story content. You'll note that, whilst MrProphet didn't like it much, there are other people in this thread like DangerMouse who really enjoyed it; everyone's entitled to their own views, as you're very fond of saying in other threads, so don't go tarring everyone at ASuki with the same brush!

That said, there's not been that many dating/ero-game shows so far this season, and even then one of them (Polyphonica) has had a very lukewarm reception and no-one knows what the hell is going on in Touka Gettan anyway, so I wouldn't say that moe HAS completely conquered the industry; its insidious powers always come to a peak in the January and July seasons, after all.
Yeah your right, sorry. I'm a bit overexcited today and I think I need a break a nice cold drink and some relaxation. I'm still kind of thinking that I'm seeing this pattern unless I've gone completely paranoid like the guy in the movie The Number 23. I don't want to think I've become some sort of conspiracy nut.