AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2010-12-01, 08:03   Link #2721
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
That doesn't explain how she could stay absent for so long. I mean, don't schools usually have a minimum attendance quota? Being an instructor consumes A LOT of time, it's not the kind of work you could just part-time. And she also participate in weapon tests, which is also time consuming. Or maybe she has some kind of magical body double?
Thing is - if she did good in school tests - school don't have big incentive to ask why she isn't there third of the time, especially with parents backing. Causing ruckus would look bad on them first, which would be bad on financing - especially when heiress of two prominent families that doubtless are financial backers of school make shady glances when you start questioning why they three friends are not in class half of the time.

Theory time: Stop and think how inseparable trio looked from outside to school board - heir to old money + heir to new money + ?heir to cafe + bakery? Cafe that never paid to yakuza and they try to don't even go near it? Cafe with family dojo behind it that only family trains in? Yeah, riiiight... Yes, we know that they friendship is nothing like that, but for outside viewer? Like hell anybody would ask why third part of trio is nowhere in sight half of the year because of "family problems". Not safe, you know...

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.

Last edited by al103; 2010-12-01 at 08:18.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 15:26   Link #2722
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Thing is - if she did good in school tests - school don't have big incentive to ask why she isn't there third of the time, especially with parents backing. Causing ruckus would look bad on them first, which would be bad on financing - especially when heiress of two prominent families that doubtless are financial backers of school make shady glances when you start questioning why they three friends are not in class half of the time.

Theory time: Stop and think how inseparable trio looked from outside to school board - heir to old money + heir to new money + ?heir to cafe + bakery? Cafe that never paid to yakuza and they try to don't even go near it? Cafe with family dojo behind it that only family trains in? Yeah, riiiight... Yes, we know that they friendship is nothing like that, but for outside viewer? Like hell anybody would ask why third part of trio is nowhere in sight half of the year because of "family problems". Not safe, you know...
a bit of discreet background check of the Takamich family will show that a Aunt is a Police Captain in Hong Kong and that the family has a certain rep in the underworld as Mercenaries and Assassins.
Old 2010-12-01, 16:17   Link #2723
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
The TSAB has a wet navy? Where was this shown??
Off the top of my head: Hayate is officially the "Naval Investigation Commander" of Mid-Childa in Force. The runes (from Japanese wiki) are "海上警備部捜査司令". They also can be translated "Commander of Maritime Security Investigation Department" or simply as "Coast Guard Commander". Either way, it looks like wet navy is at least present among the TSAB branches...
Old 2010-12-01, 16:46   Link #2724
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Off the top of my head: Hayate is officially the "Naval Investigation Commander" of Mid-Childa in Force. The runes (from Japanese wiki) are "海上警備部捜査司令". They also can be translated "Commander of Maritime Security Investigation Department" or simply as "Coast Guard Commander". Either way, it looks like wet navy is at least present among the TSAB branches...
Given she has a spaceship... i doubt your evidence means anything.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 17:46   Link #2725
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
a bit of discreet background check of the Takamich family will show that a Aunt is a Police Captain in Hong Kong and that the family has a certain rep in the underworld as Mercenaries and Assassins.
A school board do not have resources nor incentive to do such background check. But they do have ability to make local check and do some conclusions which would be right if for wrong reasons.

Old 2010-12-01, 23:22   Link #2726
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Mid-Childa has maritime forces, probably much like a coast guard. When the series refers to "Navy" though, it generally means the space variety.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 03:20   Link #2727
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Given she has a spaceship... i doubt your evidence means anything.
You make it sound like I am Tsuzuki's lawyer or something. Because I'm not. I am merely pointing out that according to Force, Hayate is head of a TSAB branch that specifically deals with maritime security on Mid-Childa. Which is what must be considered wet navy on the Mid, even though they are equipped with ships capable of space-flight.
Old 2010-12-02, 03:26   Link #2728
Arkeus

Quote:
You make it sound like I am Tsuzuki's lawyer or something. Because I'm not. I am merely pointing out that according to Force, Hayate is head of a TSAB branch that specifically deals with maritime security on Mid-Childa. Which is what must be considered wet navy on the Mid, even though they are equipped with ships capable of space-flight.
No, your translation sounds like that's what she does.

However, terms change meaning, and Hayate has a spaceship she uses on other worlds than midchilda, so ....
Old 2010-12-02, 03:59   Link #2729
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
No, your translation sounds like that's what she does.

However, terms change meaning, and Hayate has a spaceship she uses on other worlds than midchilda, so ....
Hayate is transferred to Special Task Force 6 immediately after her introduction.

My point being: TSAB does have a branch that controls the planetary oceans, regardless of whether they are equipped with regular ships (like that one from StrikerS epilogue) or spaceships. Q.e.d. Otherwise, it's anyone's guess why they have both ship's wheel and anchor symbols on their coat of arms.
Old 2010-12-02, 04:06   Link #2730
Arkeus

Quote:
My point being: TSAB does have a branch that controls the planetary oceans, regardless of whether they are equipped with regular ships (like that one from StrikerS epilogue) or spaceships. Q.e.d. Otherwise, it's anyone's guess why they have both ship's wheel and anchor symbols on their coat of arms.
Tradition?

We know thye do have normal ships though.
Old 2010-12-02, 04:19   Link #2731
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Tradition?
In an organization that is barely a century old and had space-travel tech from the start?
Old 2010-12-02, 04:29   Link #2732
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Recognition. we associate the wheel and anchor with the navy, regardless of whether the fictional organization does. Our recognition takes priority over whether or not said fictional organization does.
Old 2010-12-02, 06:39   Link #2733
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Recognition. we associate the wheel and anchor with the navy, regardless of whether the fictional organization does. Our recognition takes priority over whether or not said fictional organization does.
But why place both symbols on the coat and give them different color background, thus implying some degree of separation?
Old 2010-12-02, 09:27   Link #2734
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Because they didn't expect the fandom to think this deeply into these things (And let's face it, 90% of the fandom doesn't ).

In universe though, we don't know. It could be a variety of reasons, but all speculation.
Old 2010-12-02, 10:07   Link #2735
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Quote:
I asked that question a long time ago and AFAIK there is no official info on the exact structure of the Bureau. However, the TSAB coat of arms consists of three part, which presumably symbolize (clockwise from top-right) regular navy, space navy, and the ground/air forces.
Actually IIRC it's air forces, ground forces, and space navy. Wet navy is either part of ground forces or air forces.

Old 2010-12-02, 11:22   Link #2736
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
They do reference the maritime wet navy forces in StrikerS. After shooting down those type-2 drones (during the incident where Teana gets Falcon Punched), Griffith orders the bridge bunnies to contact the wet navy to do salvage what remains of the drones.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 14:00   Link #2737
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

IIRC Subaru's special rescue unit is under coast guard...

Old 2010-12-02, 21:05   Link #2738
Amaterasu1963

Just to reinforce: it's Air Force, Ground force and Navy.

These logos from way back when may have been forgotten.
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...cker_logo1.jpg

"Air Arrmament Service" with a swoopy logo and maybe a propeller behind it?

Also "Ground Armament Service" with the 'wheel' logo.
Amaterasu1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 01:37   Link #2739
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaterasu1963 View Post
Just to reinforce: it's Air Force, Ground force and Navy.

These logos from way back when may have been forgotten.
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...cker_logo1.jpg

"Air Arrmament Service" with a swoopy logo and maybe a propeller behind it?

Also "Ground Armament Service" with the 'wheel' logo.
Huh. So the ship's wheel stands for Ground Forces? Sorry then, I take everything back, my stereotypical thinking led me off track...
Old 2010-12-04, 04:07   Link #2740
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Is there any canon information on how well barriers and Barrier Jackets stand up against kinetic weaponry? The only thing I am aware of is Subaru resisting the Mariages in SSX.

Specifically, is there anything on how HEAT or EFPs do against them? Are there any stats on RHA-thickness equivalence?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote