AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2011-10-19, 07:52   Link #3741
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
So, Ace of Aces is just a fancy name for around 100 people including Nanoha.
And it is just a name for instructors.
ZeroIchiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 08:26   Link #3742
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Yup, the Aces amongst Aces. A group of Aces of Aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagumo View Post
They appear to be... well... combat instructors.
*headdesk*

I-what? Wait, first thing first, did they actually use the term "Ace of Aces" in Japanese? Canonical term misuse instead of fan mistranslation way back from the anime? Because I don't know who, but somebody got "Aggressor" and "Ace of Aces" mixed up

EDIT: No wait, that can't be, because the extra materials, IIRC her ID card, actually listed Aggressor as part of her qualification

Last edited by Tiresias; 2011-10-19 at 08:42.
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 08:35   Link #3743
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

^ Seriously, this is the worst translation problem I've encounter so far. The terms Ace of Aces already embraced by her fanboys to hell and back, and well...

We find the fact when someone honestly want it.

Not that it wasn't funny, and 100 is REALLY few but...

*FACEPALM*

Shit just got real!
Old 2011-10-19, 08:46   Link #3744
Amaterasu1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
*headdesk*

I-what? Wait, first thing first, did they actually use the term "Ace of Aces" in Japanese?
No, not in Japanese, in English. At the end of Stirkers ep1 Teana calls her that in english.
Amaterasu1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 09:24   Link #3745
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

I didn't found it in eps 1, but there is that scene (post OP) in eps 2 which confirmed that yes, Teana did use the term "Ace of Aces" word-by-word, so...

@#$&^^&$#@Q$%$!

Dammit, Tsuzuki, if you want an English-sounding monicker, you could've used something else - White Devil, White Baroness, Starlight Destroyer, whatever - anything besides Ace of Aces. Was even the use of the term "Ace" accurate in this verse? Oh what the hell, I give up
Old 2011-10-19, 10:33   Link #3746
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagumo View Post
If this helps your debate on finding what Ace of Aces is supposed to be in Nanoha-universe.

They appear to be... well... combat instructors.

I think I may need to listen to A's SS02. Armed Enforcer makes it sound as if nanoha does a similar to Fate.

I suppose it should be 'combat forces' or 'armed forces' rather than enforcer.
What? That sort of confused me now. So it's an actual title then? If you're one those rare instructors, you're called Ace of Aces? Or was she called that a lot by the new trainees since she's like the youngest of them all (wasn't she around 15 when she joined them?) and it sort of stick to her when in fact Ace of Aces is for all instructors? Need some more clarification dang it. And yes 100 is very few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
^ Problem solved, 100 people is comparable to Nanoha in terms of strength and/or skill...

But none of them use thair strength/skill for paving the road of friendship with big-ass magic cannon, I bet.
Lol! Yeah pretty much.

And yeah I did remember hearing Teana said word by word "Ace of Aces" so...
Old 2011-10-19, 10:52   Link #3747
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
Actually they both did not hold back.
Based on what?

Nanoha's attacks can be set to Stun, but Signum's attacks are all bladed or can cause horrible burns if they penetrate the barrier jacket.

And as Tiresias said, they were both told to reign it in, this was a friendly match, not a life-or-death battle.

Quote:
Exert from A's manga:
Signum: Are you really worried that you'll be defeated in front of our master?
Nanoha: WHAT'D YOU SAY, BITCH!?
Signum: ME!?!?
Signum: ALL RIGHT, THAT BRAT'S FINALLY GONE AND DONE IT!! PREPARE YOURSELF NANOHA!!
Uhh...

Signum: Are you really worried that you'll be defeated in front of our master?
VITA: WHAT'D YOU SAY, BITCH!?
NANOHA: ME!?!?
VITA: ALL RIGHT, THAT BRAT'S FINALLY GONE AND DONE IT!! PREPARE YOURSELF NANOHA!!
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 10:58   Link #3748
Enternal

Based on what they said before releasing their last attack. But Fate did told them to hold back so I might be wrong.

And... was it really Vita? I was pretty sure it was Signum and Nanoha.

Just to add, Vita is also part of the training corps but she is part of the normal training corps and not the elite one that Nanoha is in.
Old 2011-10-19, 10:59   Link #3749
Sunder the Gold

Yes, it was really Vita. When does Nanoha EVER insult ANYONE, and why would she react that way to Signum teasing Vita?

It was Vita characteristically blowing her top and taking it out on Nanoha rather than Signum, because Nanoha was the one she was being challenged to fight.

Also, how can Vita be part of a different corp when she works as Nanoha's immediate subordinate, using the same facilities?
Old 2011-10-19, 11:10   Link #3750
Enternal

Ah that does make sense. I need to look at it again. Seems like I am blind or something but I was surprised too.

About the corps, it was in the Japanese wiki and was also in the Nanoha wikia.
Old 2011-10-19, 12:17   Link #3751
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
Being cynical as it is, Force thrown us the fact that Nanoha is at her limit, and not even shiny new toys can save her...
Considering that apparently she lost like 8% of her total power since StrikerS this actually sounds plausible.

...4 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 16:16   Link #3752
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroIchiNi View Post
So, Ace of Aces is just a fancy name for around 100 people including Nanoha.
And it is just a name for instructors.
Well, here's a retranslation of that particular part of the drama cd. Nothing much has changed

A’s SS02 track 4

Lotte: Combat Training Instruction Corps assistants is the most common job right now.
Nanoha: Combat Training Instruction Corps?
Aria: A special team of instructors who teach and guide Armed Forces members in special battle techniques.
Lotte: It's already quite hard to become an armed forces member but there's another group within the group of officers who teach their air borne techniques.
Aria: They're the top elite.
Lotte: Yup, the 'Aces of Aces'. A group of 'Ace of Aces'. In headquarters there are about 4 branch offices, 5 if you add in the instruction corps but all together there are only about 100 people.
Fate: They're that rare?
Aria: Well if you add in part time assistants like us, there are lots more.
Lotte: Compared to the number of Armed Forces Members though, there are not enough skilled instructors. That's why the brats in the Armed Forces Members never get stronger.

So yeah. No mistranslation as far as this Sound Stage drama cd track goes. The "Ace of Aces" is said in english... I am under the belief that the Japanese do know that 'Ace of Aces' refers to one person only...

Japanese Nanoha Wiki shows nothing in regards to "Aces" except for the video game. It's curiously absent from Nanoha's descriptor unless they decided to use the Japanese term for it.

found a reference of 'ace of aces'
http://nanoha.julynet.jp/?cmd=read&p...A5%B9#d3e8436f
http://nanoha.julynet.jp/?cmd=read&p...A5%B9#mcb9f7ce
http://nanoha.julynet.jp/?cmd=read&p...A8%A1%BC%A5%B9

Last edited by Nagumo; 2011-10-19 at 19:19.
Nagumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 19:06   Link #3753
Nagumo
Random Translator

I've gone ahead and translated a bit of the Japanese wiki.

First up is the description of the Combat Training Instruction Corps
http://translationcd.wikispaces.com/...hawiki+entries

Next is the mention of Ace of Aces in Nanoha's character description
Shamal section, referring to Ace of Aces title.

It appears that Nanoha really does have the title 'Ace of Aces'. But it gives the feeling that other people have the title too if the Combat Training Instruction Corps is accurately translated.

Last edited by Nagumo; 2011-10-19 at 19:20.
Nagumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 19:37   Link #3754
Enternal

Wow Nagumo thank you for all the work!

Hmm... so there's no mistranslations at all going on and it's really true that her title is Ace of Aces although from what I read so far, it still seems to refer too all instructors as they all are considered elites. However at the same time they way it's worded, "Recognized by all as the unrivaled/invincible Ace", it seems that she is also considered the best of all the instructors which was also mentioned before by Chrono as the youngest and best instructor in the history of TSAB. Therefore although the title Ace of Aces is referred to all instructors, it becomes Nanoha's moniker (well it is a title but it seems the way it is used, it becomes a moniker as well in Nanoha's case) due to her skills and status among the instructors? I do know getting into the Armaments Service Supreme Air Force "Aggressor" is apparently really really hard so the fact that she was able to join at such a young age and her skills might be components to her success.

But seriously I wish I can read Japanese. There sure seems to be a lot of information on the Japanese wiki. Also yes Shamal is scary when she's in her "fortress" as Signum had referred to as.
Old 2011-10-19, 21:40   Link #3755
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Thanks for the translations.

Hard to believe that Ace of Aces is not a special title. I didn't even bother with most of the sound stages.

Guess now Nanoha's next target title would be "Ace beyond Aces" or something like that.
ZeroIchiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 21:47   Link #3756
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

She's already the White Devil. What more does she need in titles? >.>
Old 2011-10-19, 21:57   Link #3757
Enternal

Well if she's considered to be the best of the instructors, she should be called "Ace of Ace of Aces" lol! Besides, White Devil is title by fans and not the actual canon title. Also I think you can still consider Ace of Aces a special title since it is used for the top elites. Otherwise, Nanoha, Fate, and Hayate are called the "Three Aces" so I guess there is a special title for the three of them together.

ZeroIchiNi, those soundstages have A LOT of information and a lot of times they can be fun too.
Old 2011-10-19, 22:29   Link #3758
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
She's already the White Devil. What more does she need in titles? >.>
For canon to embrace that monicker instead of misusing well-established terms like Ace of Aces.

Seriously, for all these years I thought of Nanoha's title by its actual meaning, that of an Ace whose achievements in real-battle, presumably within the six years between A's and StrikerS, surpassed every other Aces in the TSAB, and not...mere Air Instructor. Oh, sure, IRL only the best flyers gets selected into aggressor squadrons, but those guys don't even get called Aces until they actually flew into a real conflict and do noteworthy feats, let alone be called Ace of Aces. By what Nanoha had accomplished before StrikerS (on-screen), she was, at best, at par with other aces, not above them.

Which makes this doubly ridiculous is that they also slapped an aggressor qualification on her ID.

Ah, forget it.

Question: Where was "The Blazing General" first mentioned? And was it mentioned in engrish too, or was it originally japanese?
Old 2011-10-19, 22:29   Link #3759
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
"Ace of Ace of Aces"
I'd hoped no one else would have that thought. Or speak it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Question: Where was "The Blazing General" first mentioned?
In one of the A's Sound Stages, where the Wolkenritter are talking about Hayate's growing communion with the Book.

Since none of the Wolkenritter had called Signum by that title (if they had EVER called her by it), Hayate could only have learned it from the Book.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-10-19 at 23:26.
Old 2011-10-19, 22:33   Link #3760
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

^ Seconded this