AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2008-04-01, 00:05   Link #681
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I chose not to question the language thing after A's. The Belkan devices speak German, the Mid-Childian devices speak English, and the entire cast speaks Japanese. More than that, I tend to doubt that the official language of Mid-Childa would be a language from "non-administered planet 97" which was confined solely to a tiny island until about 300 years ago.
Old 2008-04-01, 00:07   Link #682
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Did they ever bother to explain how Nanoha was able to communicate with the TSAB (not to mention Yuuno) when she first met them?
Yuuno tells Nanoha in episode 2 that they can communicate so long as Nanoha has Raising Heart with her. Now at the time he was referring to Nanoha's telepathic abilities, but I think it's very likely--given how often an interdimensional mage would run into foreign languages--that all devices have a sort of universal translator program running "in the background", which would allow Nanoha to understand Fate and Chrono and the rest, and vice versa.

Last edited by Comartemis; 2008-04-01 at 00:07. Reason: add quotes
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 01:30   Link #683
arkhangelsk

My vote is that the cards make it pretty clear that Midchildran is some kind of English dialect, with a wierder form of writing and some differences in word usage. That will explain how they communicated.

After managing to accomplish the miracle of having humans in both places, frankly, the language thing is nothing. It implies that either we came from them or they came from us.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 01:36   Link #684
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
After managing to accomplish the miracle of having humans in both places, frankly, the language thing is nothing. It implies that either we came from them or they came from us.
Or Mid-Childa is just an alternate Earth. This is the multiverse, after all...
Old 2008-04-01, 06:57   Link #685
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Yuuno tells Nanoha in episode 2 that they can communicate so long as Nanoha has Raising Heart with her.
He... did?!

Can someone verify this? This needs to be sorted out as it affects much of my background work.
Old 2008-04-01, 09:15   Link #686
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Old 2008-04-01, 09:17   Link #687
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

It's the morning after Nanoha's first fight when she's heading out to school. She says she and Yuuno can talk about what's going on when she gets home, and Yuuno replies that that's not a problem because they can communicate so long as Nanoha has Raising Heart with her. He then gives her a crash course in "speaking with her heart", i.e. telepathy.

*EDIT*
Ah, I see Kero beat me to the punch.
Old 2008-04-01, 09:19   Link #688
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I always thought Midchildian's just spoke a odd form of Japanese. After all some of them use honorifics like -chan, -san, and -kun but others don't.
Old 2008-04-01, 09:54   Link #689
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
It's the morning after Nanoha's first fight when she's heading out to school. She says she and Yuuno can talk about what's going on when she gets home, and Yuuno replies that that's not a problem because they can communicate so long as Nanoha has Raising Heart with her. He then gives her a crash course in "speaking with her heart", i.e. telepathy.
Ah... Taken out of context it would sound like RH has a universal translator function...

It would make more sense if the mother tongue on Midchilda is Engrish, given all that written script we see scrolling around, but like other Japanese anime, that language was dubbed into Japanese for our viewing.
Old 2008-04-01, 10:14   Link #690
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Of course, there is no reason to break your head over something that simple. The cast speaks Japanese because Nanoha is a Japanese anime. The true languages are English for Mid-Childa, and German for Belka, but the cast speaks Japanese. The 'real' languages are only used when it is apropriate for the scene. It may not be 'realistic' but realism just has to scooch over sometimes.
Old 2008-04-01, 17:30   Link #691
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Does the anime ever indicate what exactly a contract mage is? I know either Nanoha or Fate is referred to as one of these prior to StrikerS, but is there any information on what exactly civilian contracts do and where they fit in with the rest of the bureau?
Old 2008-04-02, 09:10   Link #692
Once and Current Subber

Official translation has "part-time". ;p
Old 2008-04-27, 09:01   Link #693
Aaron008R

Question: This may have been asked before, but I'd like to ask again.
Are Knights still capable of self-enhancing spells even under AMF? I am under the assumption that they can still boost their physical strength even if they are rendered incapable of using magic outwardly. This element should come into play in some of my works for OC. And I certainly don't want to go against canon rules if there is any regarding the matter. Thanks in advance.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 09:09   Link #694
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Depends on whether they've had AMF training, the Wolkenritter are be able to if that's what you're asking, but someone without training would most likely suffer the same effect Erio did in StrikerS 05. Of course, even with training fighting while under an AMF would be far more exhausting.
Old 2008-04-27, 09:25   Link #695
Tormenk

I'm more of the idea that self-enhancing would be largely towards their devices instead of their bodies. Examples of Knights enhancing their bodies physically are rarely shown, eg sudden boost in strength. The closest I can recall is Reinforce's Black Impact.

Is there any clear source to refer from about the details of physical enhancement? And if so whether the process is active or passive in nature.

"A life without change is akin to death."

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 09:32   Link #696
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Speedboosting is a common feature in Nanoha, and that's physical enhancement as well.

Plus, you can't say that the device is all that gets stronger. In case of Graff Eisen, you're mostly correct. But Levantine is not rocket driven and Signum still managed to drive Fate through five layers of reinforced concrete. Saying 'the device got stronger' doesn't cut it there, obviously Signum's strength was enhanced as well.
Old 2008-04-28, 00:53   Link #697
Aaron008R

All noted. The idea was a bit different from what I had in mind after all. There should be the level of proficiency to be considered under such circumstances. Thanks a lot.

OC Profiles
Old 2008-04-28, 08:10   Link #698
Aaron008R

Sorry for the double-post...><

People with A's in their hard-drives would help me a lot here. During the final battle of the Nanoha and Fate vs the Knights during December, was it also Hayate's birthday? If it is, can anybody confirm if the date was Dec. 4th? I don't have the episode so I can't confirm...><

Thanks in advance.=3

OC Profiles
Old 2008-04-28, 08:24   Link #699
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmm? I thought they brought Hayate christmas presents.

*double checks*

Yup, nothing about a birthday as far as I can see, though the date is 12 24, or the 24th of December.
Old 2008-04-28, 09:30   Link #700
Estavali
にゃのです!

Hayate was born on 4th June 1996 (Gaian Common Era).

In fact, that's one of the first things A's showed us (when the Wolkenritter popped out as a surprise present on her 9th birthday).

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote