AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-06-18, 08:19   Link #21
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Hey mods, could you please combine the ICE threads? Oh yeah, we have a sub now, so can we also be moved?

other ICE thread...

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=48493

Edit:
Spoiler for OVA 1:

Last edited by orion; 2007-06-18 at 09:22.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 09:31   Link #22
EfrainMan
Scourge of the Seven Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler for OVA 1:
Spoiler for Dangly bits:
Old 2007-06-18, 09:51   Link #23
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Spoiler for OVA 1:

Do we need to keep using the spoiler tags now?

Last edited by orion; 2007-06-18 at 10:07.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 07:23   Link #24
Simon
気持ち悪い

Hmm, so ICE's Tokyo is governed from the Twin Tower in West Shinjuku? Perhaps it's all a metaphor for the evils of the Metropolitan Government

Seriously though, I'm surprised there's so little discussion about this anime. Confusing as it is, it's one of the more interesting shows I've watched recently - and that whole 80s thing intrigues me, being a survivor of said decade and all.

Spoiler:
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 21:28   Link #25
David Johnston

Well this is a thread nobody will be able to find. The show is kind of like a Gall Force remake, I guess. You got the blobby rampaging monsters, the all-woman military, the plan to avert extinction by recreating man...
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 02:30   Link #26
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Rough but effective animation and voices. Some interesting characters and enough mystery and weirdness.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-22, 22:03   Link #27
HunterRequiem
Resident cynic

Send a message via AIM to HunterRequiem
I think the woman who killed the baby was either shell shocked, or she was scared of how the baby came about. We know it was created through somthing involving ICE, so its possible that its conception was...somewhat horifying.
Old 2007-06-22, 22:17   Link #28
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRequiem View Post
I think the woman who killed the baby was either shell shocked, or she was scared of how the baby came about. We know it was created through somthing involving ICE, so its possible that its conception was...somewhat horifying.
Remember that they can no longer have babies, and so are likely to value such a life very highly. Knowing that the child should not exist and is probably illegal, and that she is probably expected to kill it despite the sacredness of that life, how would you expect someone in that society to react? On top of the common fear of the extra-natural is her added knowledge of how precious babies are. Killing it is almost unthinkable.

I thought it was a masterful scene -- good stories, especially within the genre of horror and science fiction, have the power of turning something normal like a baby into the most frightening atrocity imaginable by simply changing the context, in this case, an alternate world.

*edit* edited to include the idea that it's a real baby.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 19:24   Link #29
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

I had downloaded this from recommendations from Simon and fignae from the Simoun thread, but wasn't really able to watch this until today.
  • Initial thoughts: mediocre scifi-mecha-gore anime; interesting concept that wasn't really executed well. Over-the-top European attire with evil overlords don't go well with me.
  • After the 'flower' scene with mint: Things suddenly seem more interesting. The images reminds me of 90s fantasy-ish anime (Nausicca). Yuki's thoughts are very intriging. I'm willing to continue this series.
Old 2007-07-23, 12:40   Link #30
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
I had a chance to check this out last week. I pretty much liked what I saw but it's still too early to tell. Again there a lot of elements of the show that seem a tad confusing. But I guess by the time episode 2 comes out (which is soon) hopefully we'll be able get some explanations. But I wouldn't expect to much out of a 3-part original OVA. Not bashing it mind you just that every time some creator tries his hand at something he ends up having something bigger planned but can't get it all down in one shot. Which could be the reason they're releasing novels to try and cover anything missed.

'Hitomi's character seems pretty interesting. But it's not like you haven't seen that personae before in male characters. Only this time we're dealing with women and that's been done before too. But I found it interesting to know that under the hardened and warlike exterior was a "person" after all. It was odd that as straightfaced as 'Hitomi' would feel slightly awkward. But it was interesting. But that name 'Yuki ICE-T', ARRRRRGH!!!!

I also found it interesting in the usage of styles. I was searching around trying to find any reviews or "impressions" of the series. Not much. I came across one. And I noticed that some had a problem with differences in styles. After reading through and posting a comment it dawned on me the reason for the two different styles. And it made senses as I did not catch it before. Since the opening's first half takes place in 1985. So just like you would have actors dress in 80's fashion to portray that era done in this time, well same principal only done in animation. Not something I've ever seen before. As I've watched many anime shows from the mid to late 80's and on. Then move to 2012 which is now. Though many commented that the animation looks from the late 90's. To be honest how would one define animation of this millenium? Other than the fact it doesn't look like the 80's and onward, and that they aren't using 5 tones for shading. Heh. But there will always be multi-colored and spiky hair. That never goes out of style.

Of course our furture doesn't look like this. As always the future always looks good on "pulp" and "celluloid". There's also that quote "1985 -----> 2012, YESTERDAY, TODAY, and NO FUTURE". I'm curious to know how this quote will sum up the entire series. And what does 'Hitomi' of the past have to do with the 'Hitomi' of the present and vice versa?

I guess that whole argument about what would the world be like if women ran it is moot. In that the sense that as far as being peaceful is utter baloney. Women can be just as ruthless as men.
But at the same time it's out nature to be nurturing. As well as protective. When you have situation of sorts, that deals with survival people are forced to adapt in order to survive. No matter how peaceful something can be there is always something to upset that peace forcing them into a decision that they would not want to make. 'Order' and 'Chaos'. There's that whole war thing again. Is it my imagination or are we getting a lot of war related, post-apocalyptic features since the 'Bush' administration began? Nah!

But yeah, one may have to watch this one again to grab any details.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."

Last edited by chrno; 2007-07-23 at 12:54.
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 15:43   Link #31
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Ep2 comes out this Friday.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Old 2007-08-11, 17:20   Link #32
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
In episode 2,
Spoiler for end of episode:

It does put an interesting spin on the female's view on what's the fate of the world should be. Though the Yuki and Hitomi moments were cute enough.

Though I have to say, that ballroom dancing in the background looked godawfully cheap.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-11, 21:05   Link #33
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

This is a very uneven show that stands out for a few elements: the mechanical design and backgrounds work for me. The underlying conception is interesting, with the two factions of women and their lifestyles and ideologies. And the romance between Hitomi and Yuki is really lovely: they are both weird people living weird lives, and their personalities seem to shine through. I like it when future people in a future society actually seem alien, as Yuki does to me.

That is partly the work of VAs Minagawa Junko (Cornelia in Code Geass) as Hitomi and the completely untrained-sounding 13-year-old Ono Erena of the idol group AKB48 as Yuki. I find Yuki's voice just riveting, and it matches the character design and animation so well. Here they are, Minagawa Junko left and Ono Erena right:

I was also struck by the voice of Ishida Akira (Athrun Zala in Gundam) as Julia, and that of 60-year-old seiyuu and dubber Ohtori Yoshino as Kisaragi. She dubs for many foreign movies and TV shows, including 24. Here are Ishida (left) and Ohtori (right):

In general, I find the direction odd and clumsy, but somehow it still seems to make its effects. It all stands to reason, since the director is really a mecha designer, Kobayashi Makoto. He was production designer of Last Exile, Nishi no Yoko Majou, Gravion, and Trinity Blood; and did mecha design on Final Fantasy Unlimited, Samurai 7 and Steamboy.
Old 2007-08-17, 14:48   Link #34
Thingle
Banned

Forgive me. Yuki sounds like her seiyuu had a cold while dubbing her.

and Episode 2 starts the apocalypse.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 13:44   Link #35
chrno

Well, finally got around to watching episode 2. And episode 3 is soooooooooooo far away!! I want to finish!!! I'm really getting into it. It's a decent OVA series. It's got some plotting problems but other than that if you can go into and pick out the simplicities it's not bad.

To be honest I have fair comprehesion of these types of plots and when they seem overcomplicated it goes over my head. It usually takes me some time to really sit and plow through the details. And I just sat down and did episode 1 again in order to pick up stuff I missed. I wanted to do that before I did episode two. That and the fact that I enjoyed the first ep anyway.

Yeah, I have to say that I find the relationship between 'Hitomi' and 'Yuki' to be the most interesting to say the least. 'Hitomi' is this very serious character that can be flustered easily. Especially when it comes to terms of the heart. I'm curious to know what may have happened in her past that made her this way. I mean not sleeping for 3 years. That's f***ing crazy! And what's the deal with putting a "lock and key" on special ops? I mean, I didn't notice this before in the first ep. That 'Hitomi' was kept in a holding room on board the vessel while they prepared for the mission. It's like keeping a dangerous dog locked up.

And what's with licking Yuki's eyeball? Most people would blink. Unless her eyes aren't real either. Oye.

I'm still stumped by the connection with the 'Hitomi' of 1985 to the 'Hitomi' of 2012.

The animation is a little on the "gah" to "oh" side. But again it can be overlooked. Hell, anyone ever seen 'Teizokurei - DAYDREAM' (Ghost Talker Daydream)? Now that's got some odd animation. With pretty unattractive characters. But if you don't harp on it too much it does become appealing in a odd sort of way.

Wow, 'Lady Kisaragi' being played by an old VA. Cool.

Well, off to watch ep. 2 again.

Old 2007-08-30, 21:11   Link #36
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
I find Yuki's voice just riveting, and it matches the character design and animation so well.
It does match the character but as mentioned she sounds like she has a cold and cannot breathe through her nose.

I finally got to watch episode two and I found it surprisngly interesting and defintely easier to follow than episode 1. Now I will need to rewatch episode one to really make sense of the whole plot, though.

Lady Kisaragi's "father" was a jellyfish and her eyes glow red? Now that was cool.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 12:51   Link #37
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Just a heads-up that episode 3 (the final ep) will be released tomorrow, Tuesday 25 September. The official site has had a bit of a makeover, and looks good.
Old 2007-09-25, 09:31   Link #38
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Just a heads-up that episode 3 (the final ep) will be released tomorrow, Tuesday 25 September. The official site has had a bit of a makeover, and looks good.
Ah you beat me to it. Well, that would be today now. Can't wait to see the final conclusion of the story.

Old 2007-09-30, 05:33   Link #39
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Any news on anyone subbing the 3rd episode?
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 10:31   Link #40
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Any news on anyone subbing the 3rd episode?
Well, the only 2 groups that were subbing it were 'Makoto' and 'Shinsen'. So chances are 'Makoto' will be out first. When? Don't know just keep your eyes peeled.