AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-07-14, 21:11   Link #581
klowny
OH NO

For those of you that buy Japanese anime magazines, which ones do you recommend purchasing? What i mean to say is which magazines brings the best posters? I live in New York City so it shouldn't be hard to find Japanese magazines since there are a couple specialty shops that cater to Japanese culture.
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 16:46   Link #582
Tager

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowny View Post
For those of you that buy Japanese anime magazines, which ones do you recommend purchasing? What i mean to say is which magazines brings the best posters? I live in New York City so it shouldn't be hard to find Japanese magazines since there are a couple specialty shops that cater to Japanese culture.
This may only help so much, but you can try Megami Magazine. From What I know they give some pretty great posters.

If you happen to get another magazine with posters, please inform me. I have had this question for a while too haha.
Tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 19:13   Link #583
poisui

I use AmiAmi to buy all of my imported anime merchandises. <:

http://www.amiami.jp/shop?set=english
poisui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 02:27   Link #584
Kudryavka

Quote:
If you like moe/sexy girls and pinups, then Megami and the Dengeki series are the ones for you. Especially Megami, it comes with tons and tons of posters.

imo Megami has the best posters I've seen, good quality and a lot of them. But if you don't want half naked girls on your wall, that may be a problem.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 10:20   Link #585
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Go back a page or two. I've written large posts about magazines as I am regular buyer of them and they should help you decide on which you want. If you're too lazy to do so, here's a short version : Animage, Animedia and Newtype come with posters both aimed at males and females, while Megami and Nyantype only come with posters aimed at males. Meg/NT will have posters that contain only girls, and they're usually fanservice themed but not always. Megami/NT come with 10-13 posters per month, and the other ones with 1-4 + clearfiles or other merchandise.

There may be specialty shops in New York but pay attention to the prices. I don't know how it's in US but the magazines are a ripoff in Finland. One for 30€ ($43) while you could buy one online and have it shipped to you for around 15€ ($21).

Komari : I hope you meant Nyantype. It's equivalent to Megami but Dengeki in the other hand... It comes with one single poster if lucky, sometimes not even a poster but something else.
Old 2011-08-21, 14:48   Link #586
shinku no kage
:Still Yayoi's Onii~chan:

A heads up for anyone thats been using tenso.com and havent been bothering to check their homepage or your e-mail recently:

They moved their warehouse so now all members have received a new tenso address, so if you've got anything getting ready to ship from other sites to your tenso address then you might wanna go and fix that...

Last edited by shinku no kage; 2011-08-21 at 18:24.
shinku no kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 09:38   Link #587
sadisticsweetie

anime duvet set?!?

hi guys so my 15 yr old son really wants an anime duvet set, his favs at the moment are fullmetal, bleach and deathnote but there are many more he likes, the problem is i can not find any of these or any others in a duvet set!!! weird coz i have found for example death note wall canvas and that alike but no bed covers, i have searched ebay and amazon and have even typed in anime bedding and specific anime names but have got no where!!! PLEASE PLEASE can anyone help, i would be ever so greatful.
many thanks sadistic sweetie
sadisticsweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 10:17   Link #588
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I've seen bootleg duvets and sheets, but not officials, oddly. They only come in single sizes which are worthless to most people, but if your son has a regular single bed it may be fine. Should be plenty on ebay but you may need to refine your search terms as duvet isn't used globally.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 11:07   Link #589
sadisticsweetie

hey thanks, he has a double to tbh im so desperate for one that i would consider getting him a single!!!! i have typed into ebay things like anime bedding, anime duvet cover, anime bed cover etc then the anime name followed by those words but still nothing :-( please anyone.....
Old 2011-08-25, 15:03   Link #590
sadisticsweetie

Unhappy

anyone have any suggestions where to look or what to type in? im at a total dead end
Old 2011-08-25, 16:09   Link #591
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Having looked a bit, the only things I could find were rather ... distasteful... It's not a very typical thing to go for.

If I were you, I'd go for something else, like figurines. 10 times cooler then bedspreads.

To get around this, you can explain to him how if he has a girl over she mightn't be impressed at his choice of bedspread...

Alternatively, he's at an old enough age where you can ask him to help you pick out stuff, ask him to go online and search for it and tell him you'll buy him what he wants.

Either:
a) He finds it, and you're all good
or b) he doesn't find it, and gives up and you never hear about it again...

Win\win!

EDIT: You could also get a Wall Scroll, which are generally pretty easy to find. Here's some Fullmetal Alchemist scrolls. Here's a room with a wall scroll, just so you know how it looks

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2011-08-25 at 16:34.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 18:09   Link #592
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You can browse http://www.1999.co.jp/en/ for "dakimakura", but you'll find a lot of items that look like this and this. These are "body pillow" covers; I'll leave their purpose to your imagination.

Even if these clear parental muster, I'll highlight DQ's comment about the likely effect such items might have on potential girlfriends.
Old 2011-08-25, 18:27   Link #593
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You can browse http://www.1999.co.jp/en/ for "dakimakura", but you'll find a lot of items that look like this and this. These are "body pillow" covers; I'll leave their purpose to your imagination.

Even if these clear parental muster, I'll highlight DQ's comment about the likely effect such items might have on potential girlfriends.
I have three dakis and I pfft at your statement, because I am a woman.

While it is not easy to find "safe" dakis, they do exist. Wallscrolls are easy, though; many of them are just like cinematic promotional posters. Search "anime scroll" on ebay and you'll get tons to dig through.
Old 2011-08-25, 21:31   Link #594
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
I have three dakis and I pfft at your statement, because I am a woman.
I felt that pfft all the way over here, Ichihara-san!

I'm not sure what part of my comment you're pffting at, though. The part about girlfriends? Remember that the OP's son is fifteen; heterosexual girls in his age bracket visiting his room might find a collection like yours a bit "problematic," don't you think? Homosexual guys probably would, too.

Perhaps you're pffting at my comment about parental standards? I only raised a daughter, but I don't think I'd have wanted to see your collection in her room when she was fifteen. (I haven't seen many bishounen dakimakura, so I can't comment on those. Do they wear more clothes?) I'd probably feel the same way if I'd had a son. Maybe I'm too old-fashioned, but I don't think hugging pillows of anime girls wearing bikinis or less are appropriate in a teen-ager's room. Once they move out as adults, I don't care who or what they have in their beds.

If you're pffting about my characterization of dakimakura, I've certainly seen some that aren't especially suggestive, but they seem to be a minority of what's for sale. The loli-flavored ones, like the Kuhouin Murasaki dakimakura, give me the creeps, as do the ones that display abuse like the depiction of a nearly-naked, tied-up Misaki from Welcome to the NHK!.
Old 2011-08-25, 22:08   Link #595
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is somewhat like the reason I pass on many figurines - I have to assume I will have friends or "mundanes" in the area they are displayed. There are pillows out there that may pass the check but its the sort of thing to discuss with your progeny

And I'd never even heard the word "duvet" til this thread
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 22:09   Link #596
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I just have a feeling he'd have some explaining to do if/when a potential girlfriend is in the room.

Hard to "get it on" when she's wondering how faithful he is to her, and how much he loves Misaki-Chan. (As we know, every true Otaku would love Misaki-Chan MORE!!!)
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 22:16   Link #597
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
what the hell is a duvet? Is that a fancy term for a bed sheet?
Old 2011-08-26, 04:32   Link #598
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I felt that pfft all the way over here, Ichihara-san!

I'm not sure what part of my comment you're pffting at, though. The part about girlfriends? Remember that the OP's son is fifteen; heterosexual girls in his age bracket visiting his room might find a collection like yours a bit "problematic," don't you think? Homosexual guys probably would, too.

Perhaps you're pffting at my comment about parental standards? I only raised a daughter, but I don't think I'd have wanted to see your collection in her room when she was fifteen. (I haven't seen many bishounen dakimakura, so I can't comment on those. Do they wear more clothes?) I'd probably feel the same way if I'd had a son. Maybe I'm too old-fashioned, but I don't think hugging pillows of anime girls wearing bikinis or less are appropriate in a teen-ager's room. Once they move out as adults, I don't care who or what they have in their beds.

If you're pffting about my characterization of dakimakura, I've certainly seen some that aren't especially suggestive, but they seem to be a minority of what's for sale. The loli-flavored ones, like the Kuhouin Murasaki dakimakura, give me the creeps, as do the ones that display abuse like the depiction of a nearly-naked, tied-up Misaki from Welcome to the NHK!.
I'm not being particularly serious, and I completely understand your point. But I do see broad generalisations of any girl will shun someone collecting merch which I feel is completely untrue as I know plenty of girls in to bishoujo figures and dakis, it's not like we only flock to bishonen. There are bishie dakis, and they do tend to be more tame than the plethora of ero girl dakis (it sorely disappoints me how few "clean" bishoujo dakis there are, if only to get them through customs as ero is likely to be seized... not to mention the ero is often distasteful anyway, as you say.

It is of course up to the parent as to what to allow a teen living under their roof, but if the kid can make an informed decision knowing the possible down sides (eg explain girls may be put off by it etc) then I say let them do it if they want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This is somewhat like the reason I pass on many figurines - I have to assume I will have friends or "mundanes" in the area they are displayed. There are pillows out there that may pass the check but its the sort of thing to discuss with your progeny
I keep my figure cabinets in my bedroom, which nobody ever goes in to. Problem solved. Visitors and guests go in the living room (and spare room if staying overnight). Granted this isn't an option for all depending on living circumstances, but it certainly is for most people with their own place... entertain the "mundanes" or norms (or muggles if you want to get Potter about it) out of sight of this stuff.

The first time had an "outsider" in my room was an electrician installing my air conditioner, and he was quite interested in the figures (smaller collection at the time, he thought they were from games like FF and such) but he thought they were neat.

Also had a builder renovating my bathroom and I asked him to fix the glass to the base of my newer large cabinet (as I don't have a power drill and couldn't, even though I assembled the rest) and he was also interested in them, said verbatim "sure as shit better than the gnomes and fairy crap my wife collects", so not everyone is going to weird out about it. Though I understand many will, especially in the world of teens.
Old 2011-08-30, 22:54   Link #599
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
All you gotta do is find a seller on ebay who sells bed sheets. If there's none, find a seller who sells daki covers. Contact him, and ask for custom bed sheet. Find your imagine online, he makes you the sheet/daki and you're done. Sure enough, it won't be official goods but there's none to begin with..
Old 2011-09-20, 23:19   Link #600
Puddingman

Send a message via Skype™ to Puddingman
Oh! Don't forget about the "Used" and "New" sections of Amazon.com. The prices are usually cheaper with great quality. I've ordered many CDs that way and they've shipped in great condition. Definitely worth checking out!
Puddingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime dvd suggestions, anime movies, help finding an anime, manga, purchase, streaming anime