AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

Old 2007-03-20, 09:44   Link #241
radancein

Halfway through the game at the moment, plodding along with my intermediate level of Japanese, I must say that the length of this game is just mind boggling. Will I ever finish the game?

It will be interesting to see how KyoAni intertwine the arcs together. Tomoyo's is
difficult, but still do-able in my opinion, but Kyou's simply looks impossible. I quite like the Kyou and Ryou combinations, so I hope they don't get shafted Nayuki style.

Regarding Sunohara, I think he deserves attention as much as anyone else. I haven't laughed that since the 1st season of school rumble.
radancein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 10:24   Link #242
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Spoiler:
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 11:09   Link #243
radancein

Spoiler:

Either way, it's not really important which is more difficult. As long as I can enjoy the anime as much as I did with the game, I don't really mind what KyoAni will decide to do.
radancein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 12:23   Link #244
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radancein View Post
Halfway through the game at the moment, plodding along with my intermediate level of Japanese, I must say that the length of this game is just mind boggling. Will I ever finish the game?
How far along are you anyway? I can still remember how I thought I was halfway through the game when I finished half of the heroines' scenarios (~4 light orbs). Boy was I wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

It's clear there are parts that will have to be left out of certain routes. But if we were to start discussing possibilities, I don't think it would be nearly as hard as it seems. There's a million ways to go about this, it's just a matter of how well the fans will accept the changes.
Old 2007-03-20, 12:58   Link #245
NaweG
Just some guy

OK, I know I should just wait for the Anime and enjoy the story however KyoAni cares to tell it. But I'm a rather impatient person when it comes to stories

So, I'm looking for an English Walkthrough, or an English version of the story so that I can follow more of the conversation on this thread in the meantime. I did look at the Wikipedia entry for the game (can't believe that some music group came up the first time... silly editors...), but I can't say that really left me feeling like I understood the story.

I tried searching the Game forum threads for a link, but that only turned up a translation project (yay for them, but not particularly germane to my current need), and a link to a walkthrough in Japanese. If I could speak Japanese that would be fine (heck, that would be more than fine... I could watch raws and help with translations... and help catch criminals... and speed faster than a locomotive..), but unfortunately I suffer from Monolingual Syndrome.

Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!
Old 2007-03-20, 12:58   Link #246
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Spoiler:

Last edited by houkoholic; 2007-03-20 at 13:09.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 13:38   Link #247
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Spoiler:
Like you mentioned in the end, there is no easy way to go about representing some of these things. I'm sure the lack of Yuuichi's confession alarm clock for Nayuki in the anime left many Nayuki fans reeling, but you can't do anything about that.

But I see what you're saying with Tomoyo, especially about the internal conflict part.

In any case, I'm not too concerned about the "intertwining route" thing as a whole, since I have a feeling it'll all work out in the end.
Old 2007-03-20, 13:53   Link #248
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Owaranai Destiny, Skyfall-san, mt-i-san
thanks for your replies and suggestions.
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 15:20   Link #249
FireChick

Quote:
I think Nagisa (渚, meaning "shore (of an ocean)") is a pretty name though. And unlike other Key characters, the significance of Nagisa's name is actually touched upon in the story too.
Ooooh.....I get it. Me is so sorry. Me is a dummy.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 15:55   Link #250
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone Send a message via Skype™ to Anacone
Huh, discussion is already this heated ? There's plenty of time...I guess have to check it when it comes out, but I need to keep my usual low profile sun glasses that I don't get too heated and dragged by hype . Although it's getting harder because of amazing Kanon 2006. It might help again that I don't have any knowledge about original work.
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 04:55   Link #251
FireChick

Yaaay! My dad's computer is fixed! I'm on it now! I better log out of my own computer. Sorry if I went off-topic. Just felt like letting you all know.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 08:37   Link #252
Rengemaru

I don't know if the question was already asked but should we ignore the movie made by TOEI and wait for KyoAni's TV series? Because I don't think a mere "movie" would be enough to contain all the story (as seen in Air the movie and Air TV)
Old 2007-03-21, 10:22   Link #253
Zappster

Do what you want. Personally I'll be checking out both at some stage providing they're both subbed of course. I'm sure both versions will have their plus and minus points.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 11:04   Link #254
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru View Post
I don't know if the question was already asked but should we ignore the movie made by TOEI and wait for KyoAni's TV series? Because I don't think a mere "movie" would be enough to contain all the story (as seen in Air the movie and Air TV)
I see exactly zero reasons why not to watch both. Somehow i really doubt Air TV contained all the material either. Main story of Air was about Misuzu/Yukito, and the movie focused on that. Personally, i found Air movie a bit more to my liking. (Both of the increased romance aspect, and because it managed to extract more emotions from me... though the attachment i had to the characters from watching the series surely helped in that aspect).

In short - i see no reason not to watch it. (unless you want to remain unspoiled, but that does not seem to be the reasoning behind your post).
Old 2007-03-21, 20:09   Link #255
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I thought that the Air movie was more romantic too. I found the TV series to be more tragic. I liked them both equally. I felt that the movie version was appealing to a different audience than the TV version.

So go for it Toei! Put some romance in this too.

I'm going to watch both TV and movie.
Old 2007-03-21, 20:11   Link #256
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I feel like watching the Tv series first, then the movie a bit later. Just like I did with AIR.
Old 2007-03-21, 23:23   Link #257
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Questions from someone who may very well play the game depending on the answers.

1. How LONG is it? I've been hearing tons of things about it's apparently epic length and I'd really appreciate it if someone can make a comparison rather than just saying long. How long is it compared to a single volume of a Saiunkoku Monogatari novel? Or even one scenario of Fate/Stay Night, UBW to be precise.

2. How much of the PS2 version is voiced? Is it just the girls, is the other side-characters voiced as well, or are you voiced as well? If everyone except the main character is voiced, then I wouldn't mind playing it.

3. IS IT WORTH IT? I found UBW to be an undeserving outcome, not porpotional to the amount of time and effort I took to read all that gibberish Japanese. And the Kanon anime didn't impress me in terms of story-telling and characters, despite apparently being a good adaption.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 23:51   Link #258
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
1. How LONG is it? I've been hearing tons of things about it's apparently epic length and I'd really appreciate it if someone can make a comparison rather than just saying long. How long is it compared to a single volume of a Saiunkoku Monogatari novel? Or even one scenario of Fate/Stay Night, UBW to be precise.
Hmm... From the beginning to the very end? It's a journey that'll make you forget time. ~100 hours for someone reading at normal speed, I suppose.

Part of the reason why it takes so long is because of the complex route system at first (you'll probably need a strategy guide for this), and the sheer length of After Story later.

In Fsn terms... about 3 Heavens Feel (longest route in Fate/stay night)? It's nowhere near as hard to read as Nasu-san's writing though.

Quote:
2. How much of the PS2 version is voiced? Is it just the girls, is the other side-characters voiced as well, or are you voiced as well? If everyone except the main character is voiced, then I wouldn't mind playing it.
It's fully voiced minus Tomoya. Even random mob characters are voiced.

Actually, unless you have a really vivid imagination, I wouldn't even consider playing the game without voice. the voice actors are absolutely brilliant (especially Sunohara and Nagisa and Akio and...) and made the comedy/sad scenes so much more effective.

Quote:
3. IS IT WORTH IT? I found UBW to be an undeserving outcome, not porpotional to the amount of time and effort I took to read all that gibberish Japanese. And the Kanon anime didn't impress me in terms of story-telling and characters, despite apparently being a good adaption.
CLANNAD is a story about life and its changes, time will flow by and years will pass. If this game doesn't affect your outlook on life or help you learn something new about it, then nothing (visual novel-wise) will. That's all I can say.
Old 2007-03-22, 02:13   Link #259
ricerocket

Quote:
wow, you are the first person i've heard who played the FSN game and unimpressed by the UBW arc
ricerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 02:23   Link #260
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerocket View Post
wow, you are the first person i've heard who played the FSN game and unimpressed by the UBW arc
I wouldn't say that I am unimpressed. I'll admit that it was good, especially the finale and the Archer-related parts. It's just that in comparison to the effort I put in reading through the Nasu-language (( I swear...sometimes I think it's not even Japanese )), I didn't feel the feeling that what would you call it...everything was worth it in the end after having a few strands of my hair turning white, pun intended.

The problem for me is, listening to Japanese is one thing, but reading is a real chore. That's why I digress from doing any translation work, and prefer waiting for Chinese versions instead. It's still hard, but a hundred times easier since I had Chinese education. Even though my understanding is that comparing side-by-side, the Chinese tls here really botch the transition at times.

And wait...Clannad is a story that flows through the years? It's not a few weeks, then BAM!? Does that mean, that the character developments are also occuring slowly, in slow peeling layers?

YesAsia, here I come. Though I won't actually have the chance to play it until graduation. Bummer.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, kyoto animation, romance, school life, seinen