AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

Old 2007-10-01, 18:43   Link #1021
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Good word. I admire you. Where do you learn this manner of speech houkoholic?
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 19:04   Link #1022
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Yeah, that was a great description of Clannad. I'm totally stealing it. XD
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 20:15   Link #1023
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

@houkoholic
Spoiler:

The point is, spoiling is spoiling. If you reveal ANY details about what happens later in the plot, no matter how general, it's still considered as a spoiler. General definiton to spoil someone is to reveal certain late plot elements after all. I do not think anybody can argue with that.

What houkoholic has posted isn't as bad as xxx dies or xxx/yyy ends up together, but talking about in general what the 'central plot' is about still discloses certain facts about what will happen much later in the story, which is what he/she did. Why do you think movie/tv/anime synopsis only talks about only the beginning? Even if the plot is not central to the story, they still leave out the middle and the end in order to...
1) let the viewer find out what the central plot is about
2) it lets the viewer decide for themselves if its important or not, and
3) it also leaves upon the viewer on how to approach the story

Some will argue that KyoAni themselves have left the spoiler in the open. But that's the beauty of it... those who know about the plot recognize it, but it's cleverly disguised for first time viewers, if this thread is of any indication. Pretty much akin to hiding a car in a full parking lot.

So all I ask that if there's anything regarding what happens later in the plot, for the poster to put it behind spoiler tags. Some might not care, but others are sensitive to it.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 22:48   Link #1024
stardf29

Speaking of spoilers, could anyone already familiar with the game note if anything in the recently-released Prelude sub is particularly spoilerish? I made the mistake of non-chalantly watching the movie promos (subbed) and thus got possibly-spoiled already, so I don't want to make the same mistake again...

Still very much looking forward to this series, though.
stardf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 22:58   Link #1025
Kyogissun
BarqsAvenger

Location: Pittsburgh, the steel city... Where the people have the kindness of a steel knife. ;-;
Send a message via AIM to Kyogissun
Dunno if I'm getting the hang of this spoiler thing or not... Here goes:

Spoiler for Clannad (Related to the Intro):

Also, I know my word might not mean much because I'm new but I'm betting even saying whether there's a good or bad ending would count as a spoiler...

So yeah, I think if people are gonna be complex, they should be as complex as possible because I know a friend who's been avoiding going to various sites so he can watch all of CLANNAD without the plot being ruined. XD
Kyogissun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 23:42   Link #1026
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Well, "Clannad" does mean "family" in Irish...^_^
Not exactly. "Clann" means family in Irish. Scenario writer Maeda Jun had initially got the inspiration from the Irish band of the same name. The Clannad band stands for "Clann As Dobhar" (Family from Dore).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clannad (This entry always comes before the Visual Novel that Maeda Jun named after)

One theory for Maeda using Clannad instead of Clann may be CLANNAD here stands for "Clann As Dango", AKA "Family of Dangos" AKA "Dango Daikazoku".

And yes, the Dango Daikazoku ED pretty much tells you the plot in very simple terms, but it doesn't really spoil a lot. This ED grew on me, and is actually a better choice than having to use the game's ED "Kage Futatsu",which is a good song as well, but Dango Daikazoku was more appropriate for the episodic ending.

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 00:06   Link #1027
Nergy

Send a message via MSN to Nergy Send a message via Yahoo to Nergy
I used to like Key's Stuff, but it started to grate on me, and I've become wary of Key after watching Kanon. There was something about Kanon that felt very... unrelatable. It was supposed to be about life in general yet I found myself feeling very detached from the characters.

If Clannad is anything like Kanon, I think I'll sit this one out.

KEY Animation: Because life is all about Aliens, Childhood promises and Mysterious Diseases.
Nergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 00:09   Link #1028
Kyogissun
BarqsAvenger

Location: Pittsburgh, the steel city... Where the people have the kindness of a steel knife. ;-;
Send a message via AIM to Kyogissun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergy View Post
I used to like Key's Stuff, but it started to grate on me, and I've become wary of Key after watching Kanon. There was something about Kanon that felt very... unrelatable. It was supposed to be about life in general yet I found myself feeling very detached from the characters.

KEY Animation: Because life is all about Aliens, Childhood promises and Mysterious Diseases.
I dunno, I think it's safe enough to say that CLANNAD is different from Air and Kanon.

But again, you can't say much about ANY of these without having spoilers.

I guess the ONLY way one could really put it would be, you'll probably cry, but for different reasons? XD

Dunno if I'm giving too much away. ><
Kyogissun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 01:09   Link #1029
amoirsp

Kyogissun, to answer your question directly, then yes I would also be in belief that would be the case. Otherwise I would not be sure what else it is.

I'm sure it may be a representation of something else that is symbolic, but I am not particularly wary of that particular scene that describes it since it's a simple image to present yet I don't have an idea on what the presentation identifies.

And if anything, the previews of anything clannad I find are far more spoiler than whatever houkoholic said. This is due to the fact that it shows directly parts of what would be shown. To generate the preview interest they have to use a key line or a key scene. Also, the best way to give the overall idea is to present the theme. How else do you go about describing it? Given that the duration and some components of the theme might not even appear, it might not even be the idea that the anime conveys.

Knowing Kyoani trends you can already anticipate that it will likely be a segmented route compilation given AIR and Kanon trends. Would that actually occur, no idea. Though I'm sure it's a large sequence of varied events given a large cast and a protagonist from a visual novel.

Or, just completely ignore the theme and base it on the previews. You got a main blue haired guy at a school who interacts with a variety of girls and you see different sequences like a blond hair guy getting smacked and a feature or two of every character, and you see things that you would see at a school, like sports, hallways, desks, and other matters.

And if said stated theme wasn't used, it's already implied by a quote on the promotion that already gives the idea anyways. I find something less spoiler if it is already presented.

Then again I do indirect spoilers, except the length I put down ideas is usually confusing for a draft read sometimes that it isn't attended to, thus the likelyhood of spoiling diminishes.

And even if you know the theme, you still don't know what's going to happen, thus when it's aired, you wouldn't have known it was going to happen unless it was seen in a said preview, thus, I don't think the theme is as bothersome as it should be.

You can even say the theme is an opinion, whether or not it is true, and even then it shouldn't affect the viewing as you would need to know what portions comprise that idea to be thought of. And the way Clannad is going to be aired is still ambiguous given the derivations available on it.

Oh well, I still think previews/promos display more since it displays what'd actually be aired. A theme is presented but probably not exclusively stated, not to mention even if it the centre idea, there are other factours that are presented that don't shout the idea anyways. The sequence of events that do occur are not identified. Either way, enjoy the characters and their interactions, should be joyous enough among other preferences.
amoirsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 01:48   Link #1030
shomazta
imataco
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to shomazta Send a message via MSN to shomazta Send a message via Yahoo to shomazta Send a message via Skype™ to shomazta
Quote:

I think you should give it a chance. I mean Key's series are way better then other current series right now and they know how to get you thinking... I mean I really got into the whole Kanon series and I just can't wait to be free... for the series to start
shomazta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 01:59   Link #1031
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

I don't remember any of KEY's work being about life in general...
CLANNAD should be of a lighter and faster pace compared to Kanon, from the sight of the game script itself. And it does look like so in the trailer. Give it a try, at least for 3 episodes, before dropping Nergy.

(since when there's a KEY animation?)
Old 2007-10-02, 03:00   Link #1032
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Two more days!
kevin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 03:29   Link #1033
boggart
鍵っ子

Quote:

If you're not into the classic Key stuff anymore and your Japanese comprehension is not bad, try out their recent game 'Little Busters!'. For the most part, it is a total 180 from their older works but still enjoyable.
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 04:19   Link #1034
shomazta
imataco
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to shomazta Send a message via MSN to shomazta Send a message via Yahoo to shomazta Send a message via Skype™ to shomazta
i feel like an anime virgin since I never considered anime originating from video games I always thought it'd be the other way around haha. Other then Air and Kanon are there any other "big" titles/releases by Key that you guys might recommend?
shomazta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 04:24   Link #1035
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

anyone think we might get cameos from other Key game's in Clannad?
Like how Nayuki, Ayu, and Makoto appeared in Air...
Old 2007-10-02, 04:32   Link #1036
Leedizzle

I've never watched Air or Kanon even though I have both animes on my hard drive ready for viewing, but I will be watching Clannad. Whenever I look at the females of the show, they seem extremely disfigured. It might just be me but does it seem to anyone else that the females look a bit more off then the usual female character? Or is it just my imagination?
Leedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 05:01   Link #1037
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

It's not just you, everyone thinks so. However KEY's work emphasis more on the story so I think it's unimportant. Not to mention there are many that prefers the girls this way,
Old 2007-10-02, 05:43   Link #1038
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoirsp View Post
Kyogissun, to answer your question directly, then yes I would also be in belief that would be the case. Otherwise I would not be sure what else it is.

I'm sure it may be a representation of something else that is symbolic, but I am not particularly wary of that particular scene that describes it since it's a simple image to present yet I don't have an idea on what the presentation identifies.

And if anything, the previews of anything clannad I find are far more spoiler than whatever houkoholic said. This is due to the fact that it shows directly parts of what would be shown. To generate the preview interest they have to use a key line or a key scene. Also, the best way to give the overall idea is to present the theme. How else do you go about describing it? Given that the duration and some components of the theme might not even appear, it might not even be the idea that the anime conveys.

Knowing Kyoani trends you can already anticipate that it will likely be a segmented route compilation given AIR and Kanon trends. Would that actually occur, no idea. Though I'm sure it's a large sequence of varied events given a large cast and a protagonist from a visual novel.

Or, just completely ignore the theme and base it on the previews. You got a main blue haired guy at a school who interacts with a variety of girls and you see different sequences like a blond hair guy getting smacked and a feature or two of every character, and you see things that you would see at a school, like sports, hallways, desks, and other matters.

And if said stated theme wasn't used, it's already implied by a quote on the promotion that already gives the idea anyways. I find something less spoiler if it is already presented.

Then again I do indirect spoilers, except the length I put down ideas is usually confusing for a draft read sometimes that it isn't attended to, thus the likelyhood of spoiling diminishes.

And even if you know the theme, you still don't know what's going to happen, thus when it's aired, you wouldn't have known it was going to happen unless it was seen in a said preview, thus, I don't think the theme is as bothersome as it should be.

You can even say the theme is an opinion, whether or not it is true, and even then it shouldn't affect the viewing as you would need to know what portions comprise that idea to be thought of. And the way Clannad is going to be aired is still ambiguous given the derivations available on it.

Oh well, I still think previews/promos display more since it displays what'd actually be aired. A theme is presented but probably not exclusively stated, not to mention even if it the centre idea, there are other factours that are presented that don't shout the idea anyways. The sequence of events that do occur are not identified. Either way, enjoy the characters and their interactions, should be joyous enough among other preferences.
Mmmm, the way I see it, it's not dissimilar to how KyoAni did the previews for Kanon the last time; the trailers for Kanon were chock-full of spoilers, but the thing is, it means nothing to those who have no idea of the context in which to take those scenes. Or in other words, the veterans can see the scenes and recognize them for what they are, but the unknowing newbie can't since they don't know what's going on. I'm pretty sure it's the same way for CLANNAD, since while I could recognize the scenes from the Kanon promo trailers, I know nothing about the scenes in the CLANNAD promo trailers, being a CLANNAD newbie.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 06:15   Link #1039
boggart
鍵っ子

Until now... haha...

Spoiler for kinda obvious now, but oh well:
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 06:24   Link #1040
Leedizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
It's not just you, everyone thinks so. However KEY's work emphasis more on the story so I think it's unimportant. Not to mention there are many that prefers the girls this way,
Oh, so Kanon, Air, and Clannad aren't harem shows?
Leedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, kyoto animation, romance, school life, seinen