AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-03-25, 01:39   Link #21
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
Then it can also be argued whether or not other productions like Silverhawks, Bravestar, or better yet the famous acclaimed, The Last Unicorn, are also examples of Japanese Anime.

Though the Last Unicorn art style looks closest to anime = anime to me.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 17:39   Link #22
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
the word anime comes from the american word animation.

whether you accept the fact or not, anime was started in america.

there is no fundamental difference between one piece and thunder cats. if thunder cats was shown on TV in japan it would be classified as anime.


and just to make my point stronger, TRANSFORMERS which is a huge hit in japan, also designed by marvel in the USA is referred to as anime.


of course after the JP took over the show it is pure garbage. do not watch after series 2 it is garbage. daniels gayness is unbelievable. maybe it should be classified as shonen ai.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 21:14   Link #23
XBlackRoseX
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 30
I hate how people classify the word ANIME as strictly japanese. If that was so, why bother calling it JAPANESE ANIMATION? Gee, probably because ANIME is the same thing as CARTOONS so calling it JAPANESE ANIMATION has an actual point to it. It's to determine exactly what kind of animation it is.

With that being said, this thread just dumped on itself because Thundercats is actually anime. ^_^

A lot of animators like to rip off Japanese animation too which confuses people. You don't know how many people thoughtthat CyberSix was japanese animation. NO IT WASN'T. You can almost always tell by the mouths. When they talk, they don't pronounce every single word like we do. They're mouths basically open and close in practically the same motion.
__________________
XBlackRoseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 23:25   Link #24
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Caladan
To me there are animation (as in american animation) and anime (just because these two are readily available to my POV and they're different so they need to have different labels). I generally use anime as a short for Japanese animation (well because it's quicker to say anime). So I would say Thundercats is not anime (or Japanese animation) just like you wouldn't call an anime (or Japanese animation) a Korean animation because it was animated in Korea.
__________________
"I have a dream..."
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 23:34   Link #25
Juan Valdez
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tha Town
Could be worse. Remember when people used to use the term "Japanimation"? Urg... Made me cringe.
Juan Valdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 00:07   Link #26
Srin Tuar
無謀
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
To me "anime" is like cartoons for a more mature audience.
Even the kiddie fare, like Gasshu Beru, I'd call anime.
When converted into "Zach bell", then it becomes just a cartoon.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 00:31   Link #27
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida USA
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
To me "anime" is like cartoons for a more mature audience.
Even the kiddie fare, like Gasshu Beru, I'd call anime.
When converted into "Zach bell", then it becomes just a cartoon.
Yea, that is generally how I distinguish them. Anime=older more maure while Cartoon= younger audience.

But that is just me. So this thread has turned into the connotations of the word anime, I guess that is just another complexity of the English language.
__________________

Last edited by Orchunter226; 2006-04-07 at 16:02.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 00:55   Link #28
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Anime=older more maure while Cartoon= younger audience.
^Well I guess by that logic shows like Family Guy, American Dad, Stroker and Hoop, Drawn Together, etc. are shows for younger audiences...Which we all know they ARE NOT....

so...

anime=what you consider anime

cartoons=what you consider cartoons


The arguement for THUNDERCATS can be argued both ways and both would be valid if framed correctly...I definatley consider Thundercats an anime (A damn good one too from back in the day), but it is a cartoon aswell I'd have to admit (Last time I checked animated shows are cartoons too )...Shows like IGPX and BIG O II can't be considered anime if you don't consider Thundercats or G.I. Joe anime (The reason being is that they are all animated programs that are a US-Japanese joint effort)...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 01:30   Link #29
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valdez
Could be worse. Remember when people used to use the term "Japanimation"? Urg... Made me cringe.
From time to time, I still hear a lot of people use that term.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 19:46   Link #30
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki_Sama
All cartoons, batman, EVA...thunder cats, himan, what ever all that crap is

ANIME
get that in your stupid ass head......the difference is JAPANESE ANIME
or AMERICAN ANIME

dammit its so damm simple LOOK!

ANIME = animation.....which means, you can even make an anime out of power point, put music, movement and some efects and you have an animated shit!
so dont be saying.....OH THIS IS ANIME, THIS ISNT.

all cartoons are ANIME.....dont get the wrong ideas. Japanese Anime or J-Anime. That is HELLA different now. OMG even bugs bunny is ANIME.

We disscused this LONG time ago, is there still idiots that bring these nonsense up?

Jap cars..... we call them Imports(in US) and ours (US) domestics.
STILL.......there damm AUTOMOBILES!!!!!

Loki
Oh dear god not this again i dont think i could have said it any better but then again no reason for everyone to go postal either
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 20:09   Link #31
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I believe that in general, anime = Japanese animation and cartoons = US animation. Because generally, US animation is for younger audiences and isn't as deep as Japanese animation. Plus, US animation generally doesn't have as good character designs and stuff as Japanese animation. When I say that, I mean that most US animation, whether it be Simpsons or family guy, tend to have a less realistic kind of character deign. (skinny/fat arms/legs and/or yellow skin and/or no pupils, etc.)

Japanese animation can be for younger or older audiences, but is generally deeper in story and plot, especially with the older audience aimed titles.
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 20:13   Link #32
Shay
Monarch Programmer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liverpool
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
I have to agree with Loki on this one, even though its kinda pointless to argue about. I personally refer all animated shows as anime. American made, Nihon made, whatever. Anime is just another way to call animated tv shows as is cartoons.
I disagree. Now don't attack me, I'm not stupid, I know anime = animation, thus = cartoon. However, the word has evolved, or should I say the word has been hijacked.

I have more to say but it's late and I can't think properly. I do have a point though. I will be back.
__________________
Current Anime - Attack on Titan
Current Manga - Naruto
Current Book - Waiting for War of the Roses
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 21:03   Link #33
JKL
Kyuuketsuki
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I think of it sort of like I do 'live action' films. You can have both thought provoking films while at the same having "kiddy fare." It's exactly the same with the animation medium. The problem, it appears, is really the terminology. For example, in the west the word "cartoon" has become synonymous with “kiddy fare” even though the word originally referred to comic strips.

Last edited by JKL; 2006-03-27 at 22:58.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 12:55   Link #34
Dural
Me > You
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, Az
I love that scene in "Otaku no Video" when the group was waiting outside for the Nausicca premier and that old drunk guy ask them why they are waiting in line for, they tell him and he's like "For a Cartooon?!" to which Tanaka says "It's not a cartoon it anime" to which the guy shoots back "Whatever it is, it's got a hold on you!"

I always think of that when the "is it anime or not" threads and discusions pop up.
Dural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 14:26   Link #35
Srin Tuar
無謀
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
^Well I guess by that logic shows like Family Guy, American Dad, Stroker and Hoop, Drawn Together, etc. are shows for younger audiences...Which we all know they ARE NOT....
I watch family guy, its almost always funny, and its one of the precious few things on tv thats not ragingly PC.

However, it takes more than bathroom humor, one dimensional characters, innuendo, and simplistic animation to become what I would call an anime. (There are also shows that are pretty much the J version of family guy. )

I was thinking more along the lines of :

- no clear deliniation between good guys/bad guys or right and wrong
- complicated characters, flawed heroes, bad guys with good points, etc
- unhappy endings
- character's getting killed off
- higher quality animation, music that you'd listen to separate from the show
- saabisu, in healthy moderation
- complicated emotional situations
- continuous stories where things from the previous episodes affect subsequent ones
- stories that can actually end
- lack of a "state reset" at the end of every episode, where everythin is back to normal


Now there are plenty of flaws in many shows, and not every anime is automatically good.
But the ones that are can whisk you to a different dimension, and really make you feel lost in another world when watching them. I remember watcing the series "last exile", and the story, the art, the music, and just everything about it was absolutely entrancing- to the point where the end of an episode was like a rude and abrupt return to reality.

You are not going to suffer withrawal symptoms at the end of a season of family guy or thundercats.

Perhaps the only primary english series that I know of that is on the same level is spawn. I'm sure there are others, but I dont know about them.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 20:28   Link #36
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Somewhere near Seattle
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
From time to time, I still hear a lot of people use that term.
"Japanimation" is still used in JAPAN itself to refer to anime that has been exported to western countries...ironic, isn't it? If you ever watch any program about anime shown outside Japan or involving gaijin fans, you'll be sure to hear the narrator use the word all over the place, ugh.
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.