AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon 2006 Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 235 52.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 135 30.20%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 8.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 5.37%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 2.01%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 0.89%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.45%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-03, 19:16   Link #141
Icehawk
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 32
Quote:
Does anyone else think that this series could actually use a "ten years later"
sequel of some kind? It would answer a lot of questions or maybe some kind
of series that spotlights some of the side characters. Just a thought.
Hmmm personally I feel the series was pretty well wrapped up just fine. No need for a sequel. If they did make one, as long as its not some random pointless filler OVA and actually has real relevance to the original story I wouldnt mind it though.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 20:36   Link #142
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
Does anyone else think that this series could actually use a "ten years later"
sequel of some kind? It would answer a lot of questions or maybe some kind
of series that spotlights some of the side characters. Just a thought.
IF there is any sequel, I would vote for an OVA that has the events leading up to, and including, the wedding of Yuuichi and Ayu.

__________________



CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 21:43   Link #143
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
Does anyone else think that this series could actually use a "ten years later"
sequel of some kind? It would answer a lot of questions or maybe some kind
of series that spotlights some of the side characters. Just a thought.
What would be the point? There aren't any unanswered questions, as far as I can see, and most of the side characters got a fair amount of time in the spotlight. It'd be pointless, IMO, and Shuffle! showed comprehensively why sequel series to completed stories are, more often than not, detrimental.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 02:20   Link #144
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
I'm not much of a fan of sequels based on non-canonical material. Not necessarily because they're always bad, but because I just know there will likely be some explosion of fan reaction...and I'm not too interested in seeing that.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 09:12   Link #145
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
For me, it's like this; better to leave the future to the imagination.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 14:44   Link #146
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Personally, I don't mind epilogs (10 years after) if they indeed show life moves on and that the moment is indeed transient. But pretty much its like going to a family reunion to meet up with people you share memories distant in time with. Epilogs that suffer from the "see? nothing has really changed" syndrome are the bleh though.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 04:09   Link #147
Tatsumiko
Senior Member
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 学園ヘヴン
This Anime really deserves a 10 / 10

I tried my hardest not to cry at episode 10....I tried so hard that my throat started to hurt...but when they showed that picture...The tears came out

amazing..this is the first time I ever cried over an anime

( and while trying not to cry I kept using lines such as.."This is just a cartoon" or "this is not real"...well obviously it didnt worked and I regret calling it a cartoon)
Tatsumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 14:33   Link #148
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Princeton University
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsumiko View Post

I tried my hardest not to cry at episode 10....I tried so hard that my throat started to hurt...but when they showed that picture...The tears came out

amazing..this is the first time I ever cried over an anime

( and while trying not to cry I kept using lines such as.."This is just a cartoon" or "this is not real"...well obviously it didnt worked and I regret calling it a cartoon)
Exactly what my feelings were LOL (and it's my first time crying watching anime too, and the next day I got laughed at by my friends at school )

This series really deserves a 10/10, for it is not only heartwarming in some episodes but also for its random funny parts (Nayuki's sleepy syndrome FTW )
__________________
Ice Climbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 12:45   Link #149
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huh? Didn't know I had to be somewhere.......
Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
I don't do long wordy reviews-I liked the remake better than the originial-the characters were given more time to develop, the story was more fleshed out, the different storylines were well intregrated, there were a lot of bittersweet and sad moments.
__________________
Anime is ok-but you've gotta have time to live, too.
zrdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 11:03   Link #150
eQko_x
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 29
Lightbulb

I gave the series a 9 out of 10
not because i didnt love the series but more that i wanted more episodes on how ayu is or even a lil motoko special

well... since im now finished with this series; anyone have any suggestions on another series i should check out (i know kanon would be a hard act to follow though)
eQko_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 01:28   Link #151
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by eQko_x View Post
I gave the series a 9 out of 10
not because i didnt love the series but more that i wanted more episodes on how ayu is or even a lil motoko special

well... since im now finished with this series; anyone have any suggestions on another series i should check out (i know kanon would be a hard act to follow though)
KyoAni's AIR (TV) will be a good next step. But if you're thinking about getting on it, keep in mind that AIR (TV) was animated before Kanon 2006, even the story of Kanon itself came first, and it has only 12 episodes, plus 2 episodes' worth of OVAs. Therefore, don't expect as much character development as was found in Kanon, but on the flip side, AIR (TV) has a better plotline. Personally, my opinion is, "AIR (TV) relies on the strength of its plot, while Kanon (2006) relies on the strength of its characters". Keep that in mind.

If you're looking at one which is still currently airing, try Sola. The writer for Sola was an ex-KEY writer who used to work on Kanon, but don't expect exactly the same thing. In fact, no one really knows where the plot will eventually end up, so stay tuned.

Finally, if you're willing to wait for it, KyoAni will be releasing CLANNAD, another KEY work, sometime in the future. The story of CLANNAD comes after Kanon and AIR, and by all accounts, it apparently brings together the strengths of Kanon and AIR, and takes them to a new peak. Watch this space for further details.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-07, 15:00   Link #152
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
ok connecting...
kanon 2006 evaluation
graphics: 10 points for bringing moe charcters and very good lead

music: 9.5 flow of theme suits the drama

comedic lines: 10 points i think we dont need to explain

drama: 9 of ten ... can't beat the dpressing AIr

ending : 8 of ten.... the lack of tears in the last wish episode and the winged angel 's goodbye and the lack of confession and 'kiss' .. the old kanon brought more tears in the last two episodes

overall : 9/ 10 it's still great much better than the old one except for the last two episodes ...if they put more tears in the eyes of u1 in every arc... it will be more effective... but for understanding u1's cheerful personality i think they've done enough...
__________________
formerly rave_master16
Haru~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 04:42   Link #153
DanielSong39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Now that I've had a few months to think about this show, I think I can give a much more objective opinion...

Animation - 7. Simply stunning graphics and use of technology. Not quite as impressive in the use of visuals - I felt they could have used more variety in the background, types of images, and color. Absolute highlight for me is Episode 15, which heavily features AIR-like imagery - with resounding success. Very good, but it didn't consistently "wow" me.

Characters - 3. This is what usually makes or breaks these kind of shows. Unfortunately, for me, it absolutely broke it. Yuuichi got on my bad side early, and I was never able to warm up to him. His sarcastic side got old quick - and to make things worse, he often became downright sinister and antagonistic at times. And I simply didn't find his transition to "caring brother" to be believable, and didn't like his tendency to dominate the action. By the time he became suicidal I had already written him off completely.

As for the girls - it's obvious that Key and KyoAni has a very different idea of "moe" than I do. Must admit I grew up on the classics such as Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, and Little Princess - and am somewhat unaware of the culture that celebrates the new "moe". Still, I found Ayu to be a rather underdeveloped and unappealing character - perhaps I would have liked her more if she had been given more focus and background from the start.

Plot/Storytelling - 4. Seemed a bit choppy to me. I suppose pasting together five girls' storys is one example of a "faithful" telling of the story; the problem is that it stretches the lead too thin and takes something away from the core. The game was successful because it was able to create five separate stories that were heart-wrenching and dramatic - not because it was able to mash five stories together at once. I would've preferred it if the makers just chose one story and animated it in full - while the other girls would remain side characters.

Music - 5. I've heard the Kanon game soundtrack. The tracks themselves are terrific. But I feel the music itself could have been used better - they seldom aroused any kind of emotion in me; and some of the music seemed to be much better suited for a visual novel than an animation. Maybe KyoAni should've shelled out big bucks for Hikaru Nanase? Just a thought.

Overall - 5. It's not a terrible show, but it's easily the most disappointing show I've seen in some time. I was expecting to see a classic - or at least, a level of characterization, storytelling, and drama that could top shows like D.C. ~ Da Capo and Canvas 2. But in my opinion, this show simply did not deliver on any of those fronts.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 22:12   Link #154
Codine
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
I miss this show
/hopes for OVA soon.
__________________
Codine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 16:23   Link #155
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Now that I've had a few months to think about this show, I think I can give a much more objective opinion...

Animation - 7. Simply stunning graphics and use of technology. Not quite as impressive in the use of visuals - I felt they could have used more variety in the background, types of images, and color. Absolute highlight for me is Episode 15, which heavily features AIR-like imagery - with resounding success. Very good, but it didn't consistently "wow" me.

Characters - 3. This is what usually makes or breaks these kind of shows. Unfortunately, for me, it absolutely broke it. Yuuichi got on my bad side early, and I was never able to warm up to him. His sarcastic side got old quick - and to make things worse, he often became downright sinister and antagonistic at times. And I simply didn't find his transition to "caring brother" to be believable, and didn't like his tendency to dominate the action. By the time he became suicidal I had already written him off completely.

As for the girls - it's obvious that Key and KyoAni has a very different idea of "moe" than I do. Must admit I grew up on the classics such as Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, and Little Princess - and am somewhat unaware of the culture that celebrates the new "moe". Still, I found Ayu to be a rather underdeveloped and unappealing character - perhaps I would have liked her more if she had been given more focus and background from the start.

Plot/Storytelling - 4. Seemed a bit choppy to me. I suppose pasting together five girls' storys is one example of a "faithful" telling of the story; the problem is that it stretches the lead too thin and takes something away from the core. The game was successful because it was able to create five separate stories that were heart-wrenching and dramatic - not because it was able to mash five stories together at once. I would've preferred it if the makers just chose one story and animated it in full - while the other girls would remain side characters.

Music - 5. I've heard the Kanon game soundtrack. The tracks themselves are terrific. But I feel the music itself could have been used better - they seldom aroused any kind of emotion in me; and some of the music seemed to be much better suited for a visual novel than an animation. Maybe KyoAni should've shelled out big bucks for Hikaru Nanase? Just a thought.

Overall - 5. It's not a terrible show, but it's easily the most disappointing show I've seen in some time. I was expecting to see a classic - or at least, a level of characterization, storytelling, and drama that could top shows like D.C. ~ Da Capo and Canvas 2. But in my opinion, this show simply did not deliver on any of those fronts.
I agree on all points but the music, though especially the part about Yuuichi. His character was just far too mean spirited to the point that I can not buy why Naiyuki and Akiko had not tossed him out on the street by the 6th episode. Plus since I know he's supposed to develop a relationship with the girls its going to seem quite akward if a complete role reversal. I feel the animators spend too much time on worrying about the background as well, too me the faces are what brings down the animation points every now and then (though the 2002 faces flucuate quite a bit more). Ayu is also arguably the weakest girl. They seem to be relying on her Moe points to act as her character development rather than actually giving her a strong backstory and realisitic character traits. This is not entirely the fault of Kyoto Animation however as they are only using what is provided from the game, but they could have taken some liberties to make her a stronger character. Storytelling is not choppy, but drawn out in my opinion, the scenes flow well, but take to damn long to do so. The music I firmly disagree with however, I think the pieces are used in a way that evokes the proper mood in the necessary scenes. However, I think they made a big mistake in using the Kanon Game ending for every episodes ending. To me its something that should go at the very end, which is what the Toei 2002 series does, or so I heard.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 20:54   Link #156
raikage
日本語を食べません!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Francisco
Age: 31
Yuuichi...mean-spirited?

Maybe I'd have to go back to rewatch it, but I didn't get the mean-spirited vibe from him at all.

Yes, he is sarcastic and yes, he did do things like slip that ice-cold congac down Makoto's shirt and pretend to forget Nayuki's name -- but those came across more like a guy who's playing around, rather than a person who genuinely dislikes the people in his life. He didn't really do anything malicious or anything that would leave lasting harm (or at least knowingly).
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 00:44   Link #157
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
And just how far into Kanon have you gone? At least DanielSong39 actually bothered to finish the whole thing, despite the non-credible bullcrap he spouts out anyway.
Far enough to have formed an opinion on the matter. I think we will never agree on the overall quality of Kanon 2006, but to answer your question, in terms of the summary and storyboard of the anime, game, et al. I have finished it, in terms of seeing it animated and with audio, episode 11.

Also I think DanielSong39 is considerably harsh, but that he felt extremely disappointed and that his opinion should be respected. Just because his differs from the masses does not make it non-credible bullcrap, but merely makes his interpretation of the series different. He has expressed himself quite well, even compared to some of the people who enjoyed the series very much, but could not articulate why. Yet he has suffered for it. I could bring up the example of Copernicus to explain this, but I am sure your familiar with the history of his theories.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 00:51   Link #158
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I think we will never agree on the overall quality of Kanon 2006
Especially because to judge overall quality you need to have watched all of the episodes first
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 01:12   Link #159
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Far enough to have formed an opinion on the matter. I think we will never agree on the overall quality of Kanon 2006, but to answer your question, in terms of the summary and storyboard of the anime, game, et al. I have finished it, in terms of seeing it animated and with audio, episode 11.

Also I think DanielSong39 is considerably harsh, but that he felt extremely disappointed and that his opinion should be respected. Just because his differs from the masses does not make it non-credible bullcrap, but merely makes his interpretation of the series different. He has expressed himself quite well, even compared to some of the people who enjoyed the series very much, but could not articulate why. Yet he has suffered for it. I could bring up the example of Copernicus to explain this, but I am sure your familiar with the history of his theories.
In other words, still not complete enough an experience of Kanon 2006. In which case, you're still not credible enough for me; I would actually say DanielSong39 is more credible than you are as of this point, and that's something I never thought I would say.

And as for DanielSong39, I don't agree that he has expressed himself well as all. My sticking point with him is that he portrays his opinion as incontestable fact, instead of personal opinion. In that regard, he is no Copernicus, if ever there is any credibility in the comparison of European scientific history to Japanese art form. Therefore, what I am doing is merely playing at his game; if he wants to portray something as fact, I'm only undermining his arguments with all the evidence at my disposal.

Granted, he finally overcame that mistake on his final critique of Kanon 2006, which is exactly why I didn't immediately jump on him for it. I'm fair that way. But to reiterate my point, DanielSong39 didn't suffer needlessly; to put it simply, he brought it upon himself. Just as you are bringing it upon yourself now, for critiquing this series without a complete experience.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 01:14   Link #160
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Especially because to judge overall quality you need to have watched all of the episodes first
I will get there. However, reading the summaries of the game and anime I'm not sure there's much room for variation there is in judging how it all plays out, especially since the anime and game are so similiar. Once I'm done things will still be the same because as crazy as it is, I've studied the Kanon story like crazy to the point where I know the events that happen in the anime before I see them play out in video and audio.

@Ascaloth: All I can say is wait. I may have shot myself in the foot by reading the plot before watching the episodes so its a bit slow, boring and predictable for me for obvious reasons (as it would be to read Fellowship of The Ring and then immediately thereafter start to watch the movie), but I intend to finish things by the end of the summer (hopefully). I will assure you that I know my Kanon story however.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.