AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-05, 11:24   Link #121
UPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
It depends on how many episodes it has. if its a 12/13 series then they'll speed things up and cut out elements, which kind of sucks. ANN has 10 episodes listed, but no info on how many it actually is.

Hopefully is a full 14/26 episode in which case they should go into the relationships a bit more.
well series like this usually go for 24 to 26. Since it's Gonzo it should be 24. Just look at there last 3 series; R x J and Kaze no Stigma went for 24. And SnH went for 26. The one's with action/fights went for 24, which should be the same for this one.
Old 2007-10-05, 11:52   Link #122
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The show's Wiki page says it'll last 25 episodes.
Old 2007-10-05, 12:39   Link #123
saphyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by masama View Post
I think one word sums up this series
Spoiler:
ok that was two.
I concur
I was suprised at how many cleavages there were, nearly every if not all the female characters had half their breasts showing lol.
And that last sentence he said sounded kind of cheesy to me, maybe it's just me :P
Old 2007-10-05, 13:05   Link #124
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

The breasts.....................

Seriously,the character designer should be executed.This deserves at least a cruel death in front of his own family.

It would be ok without this awful character design.
Old 2007-10-05, 13:39   Link #125
Calawain
Gaijin

Like others have posted, the main drawback of this show was the overwhelmingly large bust of half the female cast. At least the lead female doesn't have anything outrageous. And not only was it large, but some of the outfits were just ridiculous. Aside from that it seems like standard mecha fare with the abandoned, distraught male lead and a mysterious female impliedly tied to the mecha. Dunno if I'll keep watching this one, will give it a couple of episodes before I toss or keep.
Calawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 14:41   Link #126
kujoe
from head to heel

Hmmm, let's see. I'm not yet sure if I'll be following this all the way to the end, so I guess I'll be watching a few more episodes before making a straight decision. So far, it seems to have few things in place that look interesting. There's some potential here, I think.

As for the bust sizes, I don't really mind the oversized breasts that much, since I'm the type of guy who would rather have such fanservice over loli fanservice on any given day. (That, and Shinkon Godannar desensitized me a long time ago.) I don't necessarily see this as a deal breaker for this series.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 14:46   Link #127
xaisen

i think the first episode was preaty good
i'm gona keep watchin as long as its subbed regular not like all the rest that i watched and stopped being subbed half way threw
i was surprised by the size of the breasts but its not that bad
this kinda reminds me of rahxephon tho
Spoiler:
xaisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 18:20   Link #128
Kisuke06
I see...

Damn, lots of characters for just one episode. And the story is still a little confuse. But we need to watch some more episodes to say if this is going to be good or not.
Old 2007-10-05, 19:18   Link #129
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Watched ep 1:

First impression: This has a lot of potential. Its premise is pretty good, and if it goes off in an original direction it could be a good one.

Only thing I didnt like was GONZO being lame again with the female designs. Who believes girls with size G's run around with that much cleavage ? Not I. Crap like this doesnt make the anime better, it cheapens an otherwise decent story.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 19:24   Link #130
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisuke06 View Post
Damn, lots of characters for just one episode. And the story is still a little confuse. But we need to watch some more episodes to say if this is going to be good or not.
Not really. I've already said that i enjoyed the first episode a hell of a lot, meaning that in my eye's --- its a very good series.

Lot's of characters are expected when you think about the scale of the story, that and it'll last 25 episodes.
Old 2007-10-05, 19:33   Link #131
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Is it only me or the first few minutes were one of the worst in the history of anime? I mean, a meteorite hit the spaceship, yet the main character survived and no one seemed to find that particularly strange. WTF?

Quote:
Episode 1 was alright and quite typical of anime in general. Pretty, vivid colors; stock characters; primitive storyline; fanservice that is too obvious.
Agreed. Though, we still don't know whether the overall storyline will be primitive or not (I bet it will be). It was all too mysterious, even the names of a lot of the characters weren't revealed.
The protagonist being suddenly attacked by a humanoid monster which eventually ended up being hit by a truck really reminded me of another recent GONZO series, namely Red Garden, but in it there was genuine feeling of fear and apprehension, in Dragonaut I was all "Well, who is going to come rescue the boy now? Let's just get over with it quickly".
That said the anime looks good, although the colours are a tad too bright at times, the character designs are not bad if we forget the humongous breasts, so I will be watching a few more episodes at least.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 20:32   Link #132
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Is it only me or the first few minutes were one of the worst in the history of anime? I mean, a meteorite hit the spaceship, yet the main character survived and no one seemed to find that particularly strange. WTF?
I thought it had to do with the media, fabricating a different story where the boy caused the accident? which cause that spacecraft to explode. Maybe someone could explain this?
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 20:34   Link #133
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I don't normally bother with pseudo-sci-fi anime along the lines of this show. I've seen enough years ago to be thoroughly tired of the cliches.

I only watched the first episode of this series because a blog described it as primarily a love story, and noted that the first episode was good. Well, turns out it's the same sci-fi show I thought it would be. Sort of.

The characterization in the first several minutes was enough for me to give the show a chance. Granted, after that it felt like a show I'd seen a hundred times before, but I'll keep watching to see how it turns out.

Notes:
- As every one has noted, the amount of cleavage and ridiculous breast sizes is beyond aggravating. Hey, as a bearer of a Y chromosome, I have trouble mustering complaint about such, but they really need to give it a break. (Also, regarding the plane ride in the opening: If my little sister dressed like that, I'd ensure she wouldn't make it out of the house without being in a box slapped with a shipping label marked "Abu Dhabi".
- HEY LOOK EVERY ONE IT'S THE CAST OF GURREN LAGANN AND SUZUMIYA HARUHI! It's one thing if some very talented seiyuu get cast because they're right for the role. It's another when it's clear they're only cast because the producers are making a grab for attention. Sugita and especially Hirano just don't seem right for their roles. Hearing most of the primary seiyuu in Gurren Lagann gathered here is just like a stab in the heart. At least give it some time.
- The protagonist had better get a haircut before he starts hero-ing. Heroes have been prohibited by law from wearing mullets since the 1980s as a memorial to the great heroes of the decade. (Leave me with my fantasies.)
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 20:59   Link #134
saphyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post

Notes:
- (Also, regarding the plane ride in the opening: If my little sister dressed like that, I'd ensure she wouldn't make it out of the house without being in a box slapped with a shipping label marked "Abu Dhabi".

That's so true, considering her age lol.
Old 2007-10-05, 21:08   Link #135
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
I thought it had to do with the media, fabricating a different story where the boy caused the accident? which cause that spacecraft to explode. Maybe someone could explain this?
Nah, he's been the subject of rumors and speculation since the incident. It's the reason why Yoshimine (the reporter) showed him the article. They're not fabricating it but he's been the center of attention since then.

One of the big things about this first episodie is that all of the plot background elements are sitting in it but are never expressly stated. You can figure out the premise of the show and some of the backstory based on the images and things that occur.

For example:

Spoiler for Dragonaut ep 1 spoilers:

Of course, I'm cheating a little 'cause I researched the show a few months ago

Anyway, I don't really get the breast size complaint. It's just the style of the character designer (which I love >_>). It's like complaining about the fact that the entire cast of Lucky Star is a bunch of little girls.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 22:05   Link #136
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
It's like complaining about the fact that the entire cast of Lucky Star is a bunch of little girls.
I don't see the connection. One is central (or at least important) to the story, the other is superficial, pointless and annoying.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

tbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 22:46   Link #137
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
Alot of characters straight off the 1st ep
Toa and Jin definetly should get together
wht's up with the physical aspects of every women?!?
Old 2007-10-05, 22:54   Link #138
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
When fanservice reaches that level, it becomes insulting. I'm a guy, have a working brain, and I love my women in not-stupid proportions wearing actual clothes, thank you very much.

It gives you a pretty good idea of what they think of their audience, don't you think?
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 22:57   Link #139
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Anyway, I don't really get the breast size complaint. It's just the style of the character designer (which I love >_>).
Umm, yeah, and just like that anyone can say whether they like it or not.

In my case, I'm not fond of it. I don't actively hate it either, but this show may make me if they push the fanservice too far. The rest of the designs (that is, when they don't have tremendously oversized breasts) were actually quite nice IMO. I'm particularly fond of Toa's design. Animation wise it was okay, I mean, not much less to expect there since it was the first episode of a GONZO show.

For the rest, yes, it looks kind of generic shounen material, but I believe there's potential here. I just finished watching Eureka seveN some days ago, and I adored the way they built up the love story while maintaining a definite shounen/mecha shell, and I'm sure that, some way or the other, it's the point of this series, too. I didn't like the melodramatic death of Jin's relatives, though. Weakest point of the plot unveiled up until now.

I just looked up the ANN page for this (I wonder why didn't I do it before?). No wonder Jin's voice was bothering me: It's Ono Daisuke. Man, looks like I'll never be able to like that guy. I hope he doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 23:14   Link #140
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Umm, yeah, and just like that anyone can say whether they like it or not.
I think you missed my point. It doesn't really affect the show and it's up to personal preference. It's a style and deriding a show based on it's choice of style is pointless and dumb. I mentioned Lucky Star because I don't like the style but changing it doesn't magically make the content better or worse.

If you like a style or hate a style, saying it is fine by me but I made my comment because it's being used it as a strike against the show itself. A good is a good show despite how ugly it may be and vice versa.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, ecchi, romance, sci-fi