AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > School Days

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-09-01, 00:23   Link #1241
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzumiya Haruhi View Post
I like it how some people think that we shouldn't blame Makoto for his actions because he's just acting like a "hormone driven" teenager. Thing is, most of the GOOD "hormone driven" teenagers don't take it THIS far, while the HORRIBLE people do. I say hating a horrible person and blaming them for their actions is valid.
Most of the "good" hormone driven teengagers don't take it this far because they were never given the opportunity too..... I am assuming you are talking about:

Spoiler for sort of a spoiler:


If that is your definition of horrible person then 99% of the teenage boys in school are horrible and humanity is doomed...

It is ok to blame Makoto as i'm sure the writers intended for him to incite these kind of emotions. The problem I have is with people who can't seem to accept that these sorts of things happen all the time in highschools and with adolescence. Like i mentioned a few posts back, at that age boys and girls are experimenting with relationships and I sure hope you're not expecting a boy or a girl to marry the first person they go out with. In this situation cheating, lying and broken hearts are certain to happen and if you decide to call those people "HORRIBLE" it simply means that you are condemning them before even giving them a chance.

Perhaps you live in a very sheltered world, but what you see in School Days is a reality of life and calling them horribe only highlights how narrow minded your view of the world is.

Maybe reality simply doesn't match up to your sense of moral values.
__________________
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 00:29   Link #1242
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
humanity is doomed...
Humanity is doomed. The question is when.

Well, it won't be in my lifetime (hopefully).
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 00:47   Link #1243
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
In this situation cheating, lying and broken hearts are certain to happen and if you decide to call those people "HORRIBLE" it simply means that you are condemning them before even giving them a chance.
I don't know... is being hurtfully promiscuous really a "lifestyle choice" that we should embrace, encourage, and respect? Totally agree with the "it happens all the time" argument, but still, that doesn't mean I have to be a big fan of guys who go around hurting people. You can accept/excuse the person ("they're just teenagers..."), but still dislike the behaviour. I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive.

(That being said, why are we replying to a post from two weeks ago? )
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 01:23   Link #1244
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't know... is being hurtfully promiscuous really a "lifestyle choice" that we should embrace, encourage, and respect? Totally agree with the "it happens all the time" argument, but still, that doesn't mean I have to be a big fan of guys who go around hurting people. You can accept/excuse the person ("they're just teenagers..."), but still dislike the behaviour. I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive.

(That being said, why are we replying to a post from two weeks ago? )
I never said that you should respect those lifestyle choices. The thing that i'm against is his comment on calling them horrible people. I find this quite annoying as basically he's categorising teenagers (who like i said have little experience in relationship) as horrible people where in fact they only appear that way due to lack of experience. I have nothing against people disliking makoto and the sort (in fact i'm starting to really hate makoto) but i do have something against people calling those people an ass without any consideration of their situation and life experience.

If you had categorised those people in real life and calling them an ass or a cheater, you really are just condemning them before they could become a real citizen of society and many of them grow out of their immature ways when they grow up.

As for the reason why i'm replying to a post 2 weeks old is simply due to the fact I never pay attention to those little dates at the top of each post...
__________________
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 10:39   Link #1245
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
If you had categorised those people in real life and calling them an ass or a cheater, you really are just condemning them before they could become a real citizen of society and many of them grow out of their immature ways when they grow up.
Well, maybe they are asses and cheaters right now (their actions determine that), but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't learn from their mistakes and change their ways as they grow up (i.e. stop being so disrespectful to people). A lot of people regret the choices they made in high school. That being said, I don't know if any of this applies to our dear Makoto...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 11:15   Link #1246
AOforever1
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to AOforever1 Send a message via MSN to AOforever1
I usually follow forum manners and enjoy having proper discussions, however this time...

EP 10 was just plain messed up!
If it were me in there; I would go Bankai + Hallow transformation and whoop the living life outta Makoto. Men that want to get laid should go to a club. Man this anime is really pulling my nerves. I am tempted to read about the game spoilers.
__________________
AOforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 12:59   Link #1247
NaweG
Just some guy
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Has anyone wondered why Kotonoha has such a large bust size?

Answer: Her mom...

Anyone want the "three sizes" of all of the School/Summer Days girls? I don't mind posting them, being bored and depressed.
Consider this my vote yes.

Of course, I'm really interested in seeing more of Koto's mom since she's a little closer to my own age

I assume that folks have seen that the Special Edition First DVD is up for pre-sale?
__________________
NaweG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 14:15   Link #1248
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
^ No. please NO!, Koto's mom's boobs are sagging because of age... think about your granny.

On topic.

How different is School Days from other HighSchool themed anime such as Boys Be and Ichigo 100%?
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 15:09   Link #1249
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Incest View Post
How different is School Days from other HighSchool themed anime such as Boys Be and Ichigo 100%?
I guess I would say "very". School Days is basically an angsty teenage sex drama. I can't think of many other shows that I would place in the same category.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 14:30   Link #1250
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Spoiler for Info on Characters (most of them):
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 10:48   Link #1251
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post


Manami Katsura (Kotonoha's mom):
Height-172.2 cm
Size-122-72-94 (Big...)
Birthday-10/9
Bloodtype-AB


lol. 48 inch breasts. that's gotta have a lot of milk.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 20:30   Link #1252
Tabris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 26
When playing the games, I wanted to get the best ending possible, just because I was in control.

Watching School Days:

Spoiler:
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 22:04   Link #1253
AvatarST
◕‿‿◕
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Argentina
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, maybe they are asses and cheaters right now (their actions determine that), but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't learn from their mistakes and change their ways as they grow up (i.e. stop being so disrespectful to people). A lot of people regret the choices they made in high school. That being said, I don't know if any of this applies to our dear Makoto...
Agreed. And some teenagers are just better people, and smarter than others. They don't need to screw up so much before knowing what's right and wrong. Some have these opportunities but they still deal much better with it...I think I'd feel somewhat offended if I was 16 or 17 and people excused Makoto that way, and expected that little of people my age. I don't really find the hormone driven teenager excuse to be such a good one, because the vast majority of people that age I knew back then, and I know today, were/are a lot better than these kids...

That said, Makoto's character is quite unrealistic from my point of view...

In any case, I have little respect for people with Makoto's behaviour, and of course he can and should change if he wants any sort of respect; but he's not the worst person in the show as long as there's Taisuke and Otome.

So yes, I do think they're bad now. Can they improve later? Sure...but I dunno if the damage they've done is really excusable (especially these last two) compared to people who were better from the start.
__________________
AvatarST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 00:34   Link #1254
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
Agreed. And some teenagers are just better people, and smarter than others. They don't need to screw up so much before knowing what's right and wrong. Some have these opportunities but they still deal much better with it...I think I'd feel somewhat offended if I was 16 or 17 and people excused Makoto that way, and expected that little of people my age. I don't really find the hormone driven teenager excuse to be such a good one, because the vast majority of people that age I knew back then, and I know today, were/are a lot better than these kids...
I never asked anyone to forgive these types of people... In fact for them to grow and mature into citizens of society there needs to be a certain form of discipline in place. Sure there are people that are smarter and those who do not need to screw up to learn a lesson. The problem here is you can't judge everyone on those same standards. Basically it's like comparing the Pope's actions with a common average person.

Quote:
That said, Makoto's character is quite unrealistic from my point of view...
Well they have dramatised the average highschool romance and angst a bit.. So obviously that is to be expected. The thing is though, the basic concept is still there.

Quote:
In any case, I have little respect for people with Makoto's behaviour, and of course he can and should change if he wants any sort of respect; but he's not the worst person in the show as long as there's Taisuke and Otome.
I never asked anyone to respect those people. All i'm saying is rather then just discarding them as societies' trash you have to discipline them and give them a real chance.

Quote:
So yes, I do think they're bad now. Can they improve later? Sure...but I dunno if the damage they've done is really excusable (especially these last two) compared to people who were better from the start.
If by damage, you are talking about what happened in the recent few eps, well they aren't completely Makoto's fault. Like I said before they tend to dramatise things a bit and more then the fault lying solely in one person, it was a combination of fate and misguided actions taken up by the characters that led to the current result. Saying that Makoto caused all the damage isn't really giving him a chance.

Like i said, if this was an average highschool romance, Makoto probably would just get dumped and the girls would probably just move on.... But since this is school days, well you know they won't leave it at that...
__________________
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 05:14   Link #1255
AvatarST
◕‿‿◕
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Argentina
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Hmm...I'm not sure if people can recover from things bullying and especially...
Spoiler for Taisuke:
that easily...so I do think Otome and Taisuke do have to pay, especially the latter...why should they be as well off as people who are completely innocent? Otome's the kind of person I'd go out of my way just to piss off in HS, and Taisuke, well, there's actually established ways for him to pay for his actions.

Besides, is there anthing wrong if I think of people with that sort of attitude (Makoto's) as idiots/worthless/whatever and only associate and befriend those who I deem good? It's not like I'm doing any damage to anyone that way, unlike them. At least in Makoto's case, and in no way I put all the blame of him, mind you. I think the other two are far worse. Makoto is just selfish and stupid, Otome's downright malicious, and Taisuke's stupidity and selfishness is what allowed him to do far worse things than Makoto.
__________________
AvatarST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 22:52   Link #1256
anselfir
Style Über Alles
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC/Chicago
i have seen the face of shounen harem, and i laughed. really not worth my time. this is unbearably stupid.

i mean this quite literally. the guy's eyes are drawn in such a way so that he seems stupid.

Quote:
I like it how some people think that we shouldn't blame Makoto for his actions because he's just acting like a "hormone driven" teenager.
this is precisely the reason he's despised. an uncultured simpleton passing on as the center of attention. when your show revolves around such a character, i dont really give a shit about silly 'oh he cheated.' dude, please. not interested in something i can see at the zoo.
__________________

Last edited by anselfir; 2007-09-04 at 23:20.
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 17:39   Link #1257
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
I rather like the zoo, but hey, that's just me.

I can certainly understand how Makoto can turn a lot of people away from the show, he's not appealing in any way. That's what makes it so juicy, though.
__________________
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 19:31   Link #1258
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
I can certainly understand how Makoto can turn a lot of people away from the show, he's not appealing in any way.
That's because many people are so caught up with having to like or connect with a protagonist. To be honest, I'm surprised that viewers are taking the characters so seriously (lots of strong emotions going around - personally, I don't feel anything toward them) when they're merely one-dimensional vehicles for a train wreck.

IMO, School Days is too restrained and minimalistic. To be particularly satisfying, a concept like this needs a fast pace, a much stronger dose of pain (also, the ensuing breakdown has yet to be especially pronounced in its depiction), and perhaps a rawer, raunchier depiction of sex (although non-pornographic since it's a TV show). As of now, the series tries hard to succeed as a slower drama, when the subject matter doesn't call for it.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 15:07   Link #1259
CJL13
God of his own ego
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Anyone else find the opening and ending songs funny considering what's actually going on?
__________________
CJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 16:45   Link #1260
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL13 View Post
Anyone else find the opening and ending songs funny considering what's actually going on?
The only thing I really found funny was that in the opening, when there is the scene where Makoto turns around (at school), I always imagine someone racing up to him to kill him. Odd...

That, and (just realizing), the irony of an opening called "Innocent Blue"...
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo, drama, ecchi, harem, romance, tnk, yandere

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.