AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > School Days

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-09-07, 00:10   Link #1261
WhiteWings
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, California
Despite the fact that the series had the horniest and craziest teenagers in a non-mature and non-harem type animated series I kinda lost interest after 10 episodes or so. For reason I felt like 'been ther done that' kinda thing.

Anyway, these teenagers are almost as crazy as the characters in Romeo and Juliet (not the anime but the original since I haven't seen the animation yet). I mean in Romeo and Juliet just take the two main characters for example. Two heirs in families that are in a blood feud with one another meet. Within less than a week they decide throw everything on the line, get married, go do it, and end up committing suicides. Forget tragedy. Those two kids were NUTS.
__________________
"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anybody driving faster is a maniac?" George Carlin
WhiteWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 06:05   Link #1262
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
School days non-mature? The series takes the subject rather seriously. Whether there is going to be a message at the end of the show or not is debatable, but the show is definitely among the more serious (and screwed up) takes on a high school romance.

Spoiler for off-topic for Romeo and Juliet:
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 09:33   Link #1263
rg4619
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
School days non-mature? The series takes the subject rather seriously. Whether there is going to be a message at the end of the show or not is debatable, but the show is definitely among the more serious (and screwed up) takes on a high school romance.
You're giving the show too much credit. Melodramatic and screwed up doesn't necessarily mean this is a mature take on high school romance (and it isn't).
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 15:58   Link #1264
MetaSigma
Lunarian Knight
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montana!! *Hears Crickets Chirping...*
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to MetaSigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
You're giving the show too much credit. Melodramatic and screwed up doesn't necessarily mean this is a mature take on high school romance (and it isn't).
I think he means more in the twisted and dark sense and not in the sense that it's "mature"
__________________
Boku wa MetaSigma desu...

Last edited by MetaSigma; 2007-09-07 at 16:18. Reason: ._. long day at work I don't know HOW that S got there...sorry Sky!!! D:
MetaSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 16:05   Link #1265
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
You're giving the show too much credit. Melodramatic and screwed up doesn't necessarily mean this is a mature take on high school romance (and it isn't).
Define what you consider by 'mature' in this case. The series does deal with questions and issues most other romance won't touch upon because of them being too serious. The series is mature, even if the characters don't act very smart all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaSigma
I think she means more in the twisted and dark sense and not in the sense that it's "mature"
She ? Ore wa otoko da!
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 16:14   Link #1266
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Define what you consider by 'mature' in this case. The series does deal with questions and issues most other romance won't touch upon because of them being too serious. The series is mature, even if the characters don't act very smart all the time.
Well, yeah, it's matter of definition/context. The show is "rated M for Mature" due to the content, even if the characters in the show really need to just grow up. Could you say it's a "mature" look at very immature people? For some reason, I'm almost reminded of the North American entertainment industry...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 16:56   Link #1267
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Could you say it's a "mature" look at very immature people?
hahahaha! the best definition for this series by far
the is nothing i hate more than to look immature people doing immature stuff lawlz XD
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 18:35   Link #1268
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
hahahaha! the best definition for this series by far
the is nothing i hate more than to look immature people doing immature stuff lawlz XD
lol deathkillz, offcourse, because watching immature people doing mature stuff is alot more interesting...
__________________
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-11, 00:32   Link #1269
behindthesmile
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 32
i officially signed up even though i know about animesuki forums for awhile to post at this anime topic. i mirror alot of maritime's opinions and after hours of reading this topic and see various comments you can greatly see the a sharp contrast of the way of thinking of people by age group. most of the adults heres see various shades of grey while most teenages still see black and white. this anime and i watched up to 10 is one of the few almost real ones out there i cant completely blame makoto since when your around his age hormone levels are at their extreme and like a drug you go for who gives it to you. and there are stupid naive girls that are willing to give it to you with or without knowledge of your relationship and if reality dictates this anime from what i see so far it always end bad. looking at the timeline of the anime a school year is not really a long time to get away with what makoto has gone away with. and aslong as there are girls willing to give makoto what he wants he will never learn how to treat a woman right.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
I don't think Makoto is necessarily the 'villain' in this, you have to understand that he's an idiot that barely understands his own feelings and emotions let alone the complexities of dealing with women. He's so clueless that he even went out and brought a book on dating, I mean, who else but a complete moron would do something like that?

It's been made explicitly clear from the beginning that Makoto and Kotonoha are not a good match in any conceivable way, they have next to nothing in common and can barely hold a simple conversation together, in fact the only one keeping their relationship afloat is Sekai who, for some baffling reason, is acting as the mediator between the two. Sekai likes Makoto, that's an established fact, the real question here (and it's a pretty big one) is exactly why Sekai is trying so hard to keep Makoto and Kotonoha together when they're clearly so mismatched. If anyone's the 'victim' in this story thusfar it's Kotonoha who's been betrayed not once but twice, firstly by her so-called her boyfriend and has extra curricular activities with Sekai behind the scenes but if that wasn't bad enough she's been stabbed in the back by Sakai, the one person she turned to for guidance - whatever way you choose to look at it that's pretty low. You can expect to be let down or hurt by a partner, but when a friend betrays you it hurts a lot more.

And what of Makoto he's a 'victim' too if you think about it, the same day he captured the girl of his dreams Sekai was locking lips with him on the train platform - she kissed him. Look at it from his point of view, he's a moron who's suddenly got two girls to juggle relationships with, on one hand we've got the busty but shy Kotonoha, she's every mans dream girl with got curves in all the right places, the only downside is that she's frustratingly shy and withdrawn. On the other we've got the feisty Sakai who is exciting, fun to be around and sexually uninhibited, in many ways she's the ultimate tease. I'm sure we'd all like to believe that any self-respecting man would have made a choice at this point and would stick to it but would they really? If you males out there were in Makoto's shoes what would you do? I'm sure we'd all like to think we'd do the right thing, but would we really? Most men never get the chance to experience what Makoto's going through, can we really blame him for just going with the flow and seeing what happens here? Any man who claims that he wouldn't want to be with two attractive young women is a liar, therefore it's pretty hypocritical to condemn Makoto for seizing the opportunity when it's literally handed to him on a platter.

From what I've seen so far and after watching episode four a moment ago I can only assume that Sekai is using Makoto to fulfill her own desires, she wants him, but not within the confines of a relationship. She's quite happy for Makoto to be with Kotonoha because the stupid mistakes that he makes with her time and time again is what keeps Makoto running back to Sekai for advice and 'special training', maybe Sakai fears that without Kotonoha Makoto would have no reason to spend time with her at all.

This is what makes School Days such a great (and in some minds, dangerous) show, it's making a bold statement about the nature of relationships and sexuality in the twenty-first century, a statement that very few people are willing to accept or acknowledge. To put it simply; School Days is saying that in todays modern world when it comes to sex women can be just as predatory and manipulative as men, the only reason people look at Makoto as the villain in this story is because it's unpopular to believe that a cute and precious young woman could possibly be a scheming bitch who cares about nothing but her own personal satisfaction. Comments like "We forgive Sakai because she's cute" illustrate exactly how well this show deceives its audience, right now I'm confident that episode five could consist of Sakai feasting of a box of live kittens while Makoto runs around performing random good deeds but as long as Sakai did her 'sad face' routine or cried a bit at the end people would still root for her over Makoto.

Of course this is my viewpoint after four episodes, I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out. I think we'll see what these characters are really made of when episode five rolls around.
behindthesmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-11, 00:34   Link #1270
behindthesmile
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
It will only get worse so make sure to have something to beat on so you wont destroy anything valuable. Welcome to the He-man Motoko hater club. I may be the only one but im holding to some hope that he will change his ways
not till he gets burned
behindthesmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-11, 01:41   Link #1271
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
School days non-mature? The series takes the subject rather seriously. Whether there is going to be a message at the end of the show or not is debatable, but the show is definitely among the more serious (and screwed up) takes on a high school romance.

Spoiler for off-topic for Romeo and Juliet:
I completely agree with Skyfall by the way... Just because this show doesn't have mature characters, it touches on mature subjects........ Often times mature subjects are usually based off immature acts....

By the way I do not see any similarity between School Days and Romeo and Juliet...... Those two don't even come under the same boat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthesmile View Post
i officially signed up even though i know about animesuki forums for awhile to post at this anime topic. i mirror alot of maritime's opinions and after hours of reading this topic and see various comments you can greatly see the a sharp contrast of the way of thinking of people by age group. most of the adults heres see various shades of grey while most teenages still see black and white. this anime and i watched up to 10 is one of the few almost real ones out there i cant completely blame makoto since when your around his age hormone levels are at their extreme and like a drug you go for who gives it to you. and there are stupid naive girls that are willing to give it to you with or without knowledge of your relationship and if reality dictates this anime from what i see so far it always end bad. looking at the timeline of the anime a school year is not really a long time to get away with what makoto has gone away with. and aslong as there are girls willing to give makoto what he wants he will never learn how to treat a woman right.
True that it looks bad, but then again most highschool relationships do turn bad..... Blaming Makoto is quite justified but i don't see why people usually put all the blame on him.... Reading and arguing against alot of these posts of " Kill Makoto" or "I hope Makoto dies"..... I find that these people are very narrowminded and quick to judge people by their deeds in adolescence.... If a person's future can be determined by what they do in highschool then you will probably be condemning alot of people...

What i also find is that people tend to lay all he blame on Makoto, whereas like you said, there are girls Naive enough to give what he wants, offcourse i don't agree with you calling them stupid as they are also experimenting with relationships...... The fact being should you people choose to blame people then don't just focus all your blame on one person where most can clearly see that the blame is evenly distributed between both Makoto and the girls...

Most people who just go "omg Makoto sucks" are either biased in their opinion ("Kotonah and Sekai are hot so obviously it's not their fault......") or simply don't understand enough about adolescent life to come to a logical conclusion
__________________
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-13, 07:42   Link #1272
Polaryzed_123
Workin' sux!
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pretendin' to work
Send a message via AIM to Polaryzed_123 Send a message via MSN to Polaryzed_123 Send a message via Yahoo to Polaryzed_123
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
True that it looks bad, but then again most highschool relationships do turn bad..... Blaming Makoto is quite justified but i don't see why people usually put all the blame on him.... Reading and arguing against alot of these posts of " Kill Makoto" or "I hope Makoto dies"..... I find that these people are very narrowminded and quick to judge people by their deeds in adolescence.... If a person's future can be determined by what they do in highschool then you will probably be condemning alot of people...

What i also find is that people tend to lay all he blame on Makoto, whereas like you said, there are girls Naive enough to give what he wants, offcourse i don't agree with you calling them stupid as they are also experimenting with relationships...... The fact being should you people choose to blame people then don't just focus all your blame on one person where most can clearly see that the blame is evenly distributed between both Makoto and the girls...

Most people who just go "omg Makoto sucks" are either biased in their opinion ("Kotonah and Sekai are hot so obviously it's not their fault......") or simply don't understand enough about adolescent life to come to a logical conclusion
Quoted for agreement. Man, I must be getting old. All I see is gray. The days of absolute truths and snap judgments are gone. Crap. When did I become an adult? Quick someone make me a teenager again!
__________________
I want to find a job where I can get paid for watching anime sitting on the couch. I'm very qualified.
Student of All, Master of Nothing. You can't know 100% of anything.
"Amen, Hallelujah, Peanut Butter." - Dutch
Polaryzed_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 17:31   Link #1273
FireChick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Since the anime is sorta close to ending, I have the feeling it might get licensed. If it does, I want ADV or FUNimation (mostly FUNimation) to license it. This would probably be a good cast for the three main characters (NOT a real cast list!).

Kotonoha: Monica Rial, Carrie Savage
Sekai: Caitlin Glass
Makoto: Vic Mignogna

Would these people be good?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-16, 07:20   Link #1274
SaMaR
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: saudi arabia .
wooow

I liked this .. because this is horror

thankx
SaMaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 08:45   Link #1275
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Pardon for straying from the debate, but it's concerning that "Nice Boat" video. The scenery looks so much like the ferry tour I took down the River Rhine in Germany some years ago. Any German friends here to confirm that it's the Rhine with all the castles?
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 01:35   Link #1276
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Amazing. I merely diverted from the debate about the delay and asked about the "Nice Boat" clip and discussion dries up immediately. So I'm bumping this.

Does nobody know the answer to my question?
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 18:11   Link #1277
User65554
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Why Kinny, why? Why did this thread have to die?
The nice boat clip looks similar to the Rhine, but I can't be sure...
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 08:53   Link #1278
mangatron
Gyanko <3
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Interesting, I haven't been to the Rhine in more than a decade. Considering I'm a handful of km away from it....

Now, I do have a question people. I've read around that the [last] episode, ep 12, was postponed because of incident I don't want to talk about, but my question is, is it worth going through the final eps only to realize it may be a seriously long time till I can get my hands on ep 12? As I've told Deathkillz, the net connection I'm using at this hotel has ports blocked beyond all recognition, and getting files is a pain in the groin....er, buttocks, rear, whatever (hail port 80, the only port a hotel just can't block. Now I need ddl links >_>)

Because I'm just really thinking I'll save my brain of eps 08-11 and just rewatch this mass amount of game video rips I have lying around

Ok, to make my question easier, I appreciate it if anyone can tell me if my favorite girl, Hikari, get's some screen time in any of eps 08-11, because I pretty much watch School Days just for her

(Ok I'm a crazy serious fan, and I love Hikari. So....bite me er I mean call me Lolitron. Wait, that didn't sound right )
__________________

It's a wonderful view.
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!
*mangatron's Holiday 2014 haul
*What do you call a girl using her boobies to pleasure another girl?
-PAIZYURI!
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, feeling very sick at the moment from my extremely bad luck...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 10:53   Link #1279
chrno
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NJ
Age: 45
Send a message via AIM to chrno
Ok, after hearing that crazy story about that 16 year old girl hacking her father today, I finally decided to sit down and watch this show. I have to admit I'm enjoying it. If I wasn't I would have turned off the computer after later episodes and said **** it. GAWD DAMN!! This is the type of show that causes characters to want to slit their wrists and commit suicide. If I could live in that world I would go 'Tonya Harding' on everyone's ass for being so damn BAKA!! Especially, Makoto. I can see why I've been hearing so many people talk about how much they hate him. He can't even fricking think for himself. But like I said I'm not blaming just him I'm blaming everyone involved in this damn supposed love triangle. You got 'Makoto' who can't just think for himself. And 'Katsura' is no better. I can understand her position, but do they both need a "middle-man" (Sekai)? Then you got everyone else in the business from constant rumors going around and it just get's worse and worse and worse. ARRRGH!! All this guilt going on and no one speaking up. And you don't want to let go in fear of losing someone. It's the type of stuff that sends people over the edge and going freaking crazy. And they don't have to watch a show like this to get ideas for action in real life. Because this s*** does happen. Forgive me but I get worked up when I see this type of crap. I felt this way about 'Rumbling Hearts' (which was another show I did like). I can't stand seeing a guy just walking around like "DUH, I can't figure out which girl I like. I just let everyday figure it out for me." Speak up dammit!!! And I hate that "I'm the best friend that will hook them up only to fall in love later." GAWD, I've seen this crap. Ok, let me stop now because I'm going crazy now.

Carry on. I've only watched up to ep. 7. I managed to overload myself doing all 7 in one sitting. In my world, if a show is good I can keep going until I get tired. So now I'm waiting for the last 5 so I can fly through the roof. Or maybe slit my wrist with a butter knife while throwing myself out the window. I'll be leaving my prized collection of anime DVDs, VHS tapes, anime artbooks, anime soundtracks, game soundtracks, games, game consoles, 2 cats and family behind... but I must dislodge my AC first before I can complete such a feat. Oh and I'll leave a letter saying I did this because I watched 'School Days' but don't blame the show, I did it because I'm a sick woman.
__________________
Currently watching - 'Kill la Kill'

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 15:57   Link #1280
CJL13
God of his own ego
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Interesting, I haven't been to the Rhine in more than a decade. Considering I'm a handful of km away from it....

Now, I do have a question people. I've read around that the [last] episode, ep 12, was postponed because of incident I don't want to talk about, but my question is, is it worth going through the final eps only to realize it may be a seriously long time till I can get my hands on ep 12? As I've told Deathkillz, the net connection I'm using at this hotel has ports blocked beyond all recognition, and getting files is a pain in the groin....er, buttocks, rear, whatever (hail port 80, the only port a hotel just can't block. Now I need ddl links >_>)

Because I'm just really thinking I'll save my brain of eps 08-11 and just rewatch this mass amount of game video rips I have lying around

Ok, to make my question easier, I appreciate it if anyone can tell me if my favorite girl, Hikari, get's some screen time in any of eps 08-11, because I pretty much watch School Days just for her

(Ok I'm a crazy serious fan, and I love Hikari. So....bite me er I mean call me Lolitron. Wait, that didn't sound right )
Spoiler:

If you don't want spoilers she's in episode 11.
__________________
CJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo, drama, ecchi, harem, romance, tnk, yandere

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.